Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's more that the most hostile/annoying enemy is the most common/basic one and the demo is the opening hours of the game so it's got a ton of them

prey is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tankakern posted:

the storytelling in (the original) prey sucks so bad i didn't manage to get past the first 30 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngbwe1amOlk&t=28s

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
prey is good and civvie is good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

yes but it hasn't gone well. licenses for ip (walking dead, borderlands) have reverted etc. tt closing/bankruptcy was done in the worst way possible

lcg entertainment picked up the remaining assets in late august 2019 so i imagine covid hosed things up pretty good in terms of taking all the brakes off the complete halt they had ground to and getting back up to speed
that sucks

i still haven’t played a huge amount of the telltales, season 2 of the last of us kinda put me off, but the first season of that and also the wolf among us were dope

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've been playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion again lately and it's good. the graphics are nice and colourful, tons of flowers and nice green trees. the magic is better than skyrim, even a puny fireball sends an enemy ragdoll flying which is really satisfying

it's really worth going back to

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've been playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion again lately and it's good. the graphics are nice and colourful, tons of flowers and nice green trees. the magic is better than skyrim, even a puny fireball sends an enemy ragdoll flying which is really satisfying

i liked that each town in oblivion had its own architectural style, i think skyrim went a bit backwards there where everything was either stone blocks or wooden huts

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ahah the more I listened through this the more I started laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahP41mLAyLw

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I’m replaying prey 2017 and it’s pretty creepy, some jump scares but they are part of the game mechanics.

it's good, i gotta get back to it

Schadenboner posted:

The Alien game on the crappy space station with the blue robots artificial people?

E: wait, was that game a lost season of MST3k?

alien isolation rules, the working joe androids were super creepy and fun to sneak around

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

prey 2017 and the original have nothing to do with each other except for some reason they have the same name

that still bugs me tbh, the original prey 2 trailer is still one of the best and it was novel that the first game stared an indigenous american without being some turok stereotype

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bring back spell making bethesda, i want to nuke entire towns with a fireball

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfHCZAK7p-s

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

i liked that each town in oblivion had its own architectural style, i think skyrim went a bit backwards there where everything was either stone blocks or wooden huts

the magic is way better. I like to walk and explore, and hitting a random bandit with a normal fireball spell will send them flying. it's pretty satisfying

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
in skyrim you blast a dude with lightning and they just fall over

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

oblivion is the best elder scrolls game

jesus WEP posted:

exactly, everything in skyrim is white or brown, oblivion has actual colors and regional personality/aesthetics

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

oblivion is the best elder scrolls game

let's not say things we can't take back

also everyone in oblivion is hilariously ugly with basketball heads. for awhile I was wondering why every NPC was so loving short, but it turns out my high elf character is just really tall lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the main story is kinda whatever in oblivion and skyrim both but the guilds in oblivion are so much better it’s not even funny. like all the mage guild busywork in each town isn’t amazing but at least completing it gives a feeling like you accomplished something as opposed to “hit this symbol with a spell. congrats you’re a mage now”

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

the main story is kinda whatever in oblivion and skyrim both but the guilds in oblivion are so much better it’s not even funny. like all the mage guild busywork in each town isn’t amazing but at least completing it gives a feeling like you accomplished something as opposed to “hit this symbol with a spell. congrats you’re a mage now”

the thieves guild quest is awesome, when you have to gather up all the equipment and shoot an arrow through a tiny hole and use the jump boots and whatnot

the horses in oblivion are actually useful too, the things can walk right up mountains lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I really liked the dark brotherhood questline in oblivion, especially the Whodunit? quest.

Also the Shivering Isles dlc owned.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thieves guild and db both owned, fighters guild kinda eh but what do you expect

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

skyrim was the first elder scrolls game that i actually enjoyed. still didn't beat it tho

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I really liked the dark brotherhood questline in oblivion, especially the Whodunit? quest.

i like the one where you can loosen a wall trophy to fall on someone

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i didn't have an xbox for morrowwind, and by the time i had a computer that could play it it had aged poorly and oblivion was out. oblivion was bad and ugly

but skyrim was fun and pretty like me, even if it wasn't perfect

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

a horse only has 1hp my dude

#wow #whoa

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

Skyrim in a nutshell is Todd Howard's patented game design, where the world is huge but there is nothing in it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
skyrim in vr is pretty cool

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

You can pick up severed heads and piles of dung in Chivalry II and hurl them at people and get kills. It rules lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I loved chivalry and played it a lot, but I never got into chivalry 2 because I knew it was going to be full of racist rear end crusader types

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

jesus WEP posted:

i forgot how much this owned. I think morrowind towns were distinct too weren't they? kinda want to revisit those games now

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

i forgot how much this owned. I think morrowind towns were distinct too weren't they? kinda want to revisit those games now

vivec is my most loved and hated city in any rpg lol

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

i think they were distinct across the different factions. so all the redoran settlements had similar buildings but looked different from the hlaalu settlements. but each settlement within a faction had similar buildings.

same with the guards, each faction had distinct armor.

it always bothered me how many guards there were in elder scrolls games. like in skyrim there will be a house next to a mine, a single miner, and one guard. where do the guards live? what do they do all day?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Eeyo posted:

i think they were distinct across the different factions. so all the redoran settlements had similar buildings but looked different from the hlaalu settlements. but each settlement within a faction had similar buildings.

same with the guards, each faction had distinct armor.

it always bothered me how many guards there were in elder scrolls games. like in skyrim there will be a house next to a mine, a single miner, and one guard. where do the guards live? what do they do all day?

they guard the mine

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

shoeberto posted:

Prey 17 is kind of a meat grinder and frustrating until you hit a point when, after getting enough upgrades, it all just clicks. Just absolutely expert game design. Well-done story without shoehorning in a Ken Levine plot twist. Great cast of characters for being on a derelict space station and primarily hearing about them through audio logs. It's just peak game design all around.

Shaggar posted:

i liked that you actually had to think about encounters early on or just outright avoid them. made the enemy feel like more of a threat and the game more interesting

this exactly. you actually felt like a random guy dropped into a hostile environment at first, everything is trying to kill you, and most of it can. the first time you sneak up and successfully wail on one of the bigger enemies and kill him without losing half your life feels like a huge accomplishment.

the mimics even feel like their super dangerous so you're actually paranoid about everything and you're swinging your wrench around at everything that looks like it might be out of place because letting your guard down for a second can result in a major loss of resources. on top of that, the loving things run around and change position so a room that was cleared previously may now contain a new coffee cup that ends up jumping at you.

then suddenly you're loaded up with so many mods that you are becoming the dangerous thing on the station and you actually feel like you've actually gotten more powerful instead just having new ways of killing things.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
first thing I did in prety was jump into the helicopter blades

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i mean how do you not?

also the helicopter ride showing the credits is pretty clever.

the game had a very cool style to it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SmokaCleanSlice

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

SmokaCleanSlice

was gonna say I went full timmy headloaf but didn't think anyone would get it lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i mean how do you not?

also the helicopter ride showing the credits is pretty clever.

the game had a very cool style to it.

i liked how they trick you with the fake windows multiple times in different ways so its always fun and never feels lame

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jesus WEP posted:

yeah, towns and cities felt more varied and unique. i dug out my old save last year, only tossing some cosmetic mods on to improve textures and details, and it was still fun to wander places

the oblivion gates felt super boring after a while, though. i think i was too focused on closing every possible one i saw and burnt out after going into another generic fire spire

carry on then posted:

bring back spell making bethesda, i want to nuke entire towns with a fireball

ditto, morrowind spellcrafting a ball lightning of fire then running giver to land a hit with a sword right as the lighting struck was fun and i made a weird hybrid class character i enjoyed even if it was a bit wonky

Corla Plankun posted:

regional chitin armor! i remember trying to piece together my perfect visual set when i first played and spending quite a bit more time going town to town for them

SmokaDustbowl posted:

vivec is my most loved and hated city in any rpg lol

it pains me how the engine limited the game. eso has the city under construction, so there's some outdoors and open spots and it makes me wish they'd retconned the ziggurats to have more exposed stalls outside

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah i closed too many random spawn gates as i played through the game and then when it got to the bit of the main quest where you had to close one for every town it really felt like a slog.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
not sure if i mentioned it before but 12 minutes finally got a release date, its a james ive been following for like 6 years now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLm44MLaXd4

august 19th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

yeah i closed too many random spawn gates as i played through the game and then when it got to the bit of the main quest where you had to close one for every town it really felt like a slog.

agreed, when i revisit oblivion i just never visit sean bean and keep his amulet for the whole game so the gates never spawn