Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is the bead still easily letting air under it? Have you tried carefully seating it asking the entire rim before blasting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The battery cover fell off my stages crank arm power meter. I emailed stages to see if they have replacements but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas for getting the battery pressed in hard enough to work? I put some electrical tape across the back but since the battery doesn’t sit flush it didn’t hold it in tight enough. Perhaps I could wrap the tape all the way around the crank and put something under it to hold the battery down?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dren posted:

The battery cover fell off my stages crank arm power meter. I emailed stages to see if they have replacements but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas for getting the battery pressed in hard enough to work? I put some electrical tape across the back but since the battery doesn’t sit flush it didn’t hold it in tight enough. Perhaps I could wrap the tape all the way around the crank and put something under it to hold the battery down?

some cardboard cut to size for the tape to push on

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Cleaned my drivetrain today, went to put the bike on the trainer, noticed a small bolt drop out when doing it, then my derailleur fell off by the hanger!

Looks like I need a new hanger as the threads seem a little stripped on one of the holes. Is the wheels mfg 176 equivalent to a trek 315464?

The more I look at it, the more I think it’s been built with the wrong bolts. Should these bolts go further in (eg should they be longer)? There’s no point me buying a new hanger if it’ll strip the threads again!

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Dren posted:

I got a replacement cover for my Stages power meter from eBay for a few quid. You want to make sure that the inside doesn't get wet.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Cleaned my drivetrain today, went to put the bike on the trainer, noticed a small bolt drop out when doing it, then my derailleur fell off by the hanger!

Looks like I need a new hanger as the threads seem a little stripped on one of the holes. Is the wheels mfg 176 equivalent to a trek 315464?

The more I look at it, the more I think it’s been built with the wrong bolts. Should these bolts go further in (eg should they be longer)? There’s no point me buying a new hanger if it’ll strip the threads again!

The rule of thumb is the depth of the thread should be one and a half times the diameter of the bolt. It is doubtful that they paid extra to get bolts exactly the depth of the frame. The wheel axle should take the load and the two small bolts only align the hanger, It is possible the quick release wasn't tight enough. For peace of mind, you could buy longer bolts and cut them to length, either way I would use some Loctite on them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Those bolts just hold and align the derailleur when the wheel is off, they look fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
guaranteed beer money, or the low chance for more beer money? easy pick 100%

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hey guys, so I'm ressurecting my spare ancient Decathlon hybrid for a friend.

Simple question. It's got a 38mm tyre and tube on the front wheel, and the tread is completely knackered.

I've got a spare 700 x 32 tyre in V. good condition. Putting a 32 on it (with a 32 tube as well obvs.)is going to be fine? Not to small for the wheel to fit properly or cause other issues with the tube.

Thx.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
My right pedal just fell off, leaving the shaft behind in the crank. Most disturbing.

They’re Shimano Deore XT PD-T8000 pedals, meant to be long lasting touring pedals - only had them a year or two.

I thought they were meant to be sealed units.

Can this be fixed, or do I need a new set of pedals? Not sure if anything actually snapped off or not.

wooger fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 20, 2021

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

wooger posted:

My right pedal just fell off, leaving the shaft behind in the crank. Most disturbing.

They’re Shimano Deore XT PD-T8000 pedals, meant to be long lasting touring pedals - only had them a year or two.

I thought they were meant to be sealed units.

Can this be fixed, or do I need a new set of pedals? Not sure if anything actually snapped off or not.

No idea, but keep me posted- I've had the same pedals for about 2.5 years now, abused them through thousands of miles of nasty mud and gravel and they still spin perfectly. I keep recommending them to my friends who go through a set of Crank Bros pedals a year but maybe I shouldn't!

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

It looks like the locknut probably came off, take a look at this park tool video, they show the whole spindle taken apart at ~3 minutes. I'd unscrew the part that's still in the pedal body and if all the parts are still there, just put it back together with some new grease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmSrsnVUGI

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Hey guys, so I'm ressurecting my spare ancient Decathlon hybrid for a friend.

Simple question. It's got a 38mm tyre and tube on the front wheel, and the tread is completely knackered.

I've got a spare 700 x 32 tyre in V. good condition. Putting a 32 on it (with a 32 tube as well obvs.)is going to be fine? Not to small for the wheel to fit properly or cause other issues with the tube.

Thx.

You’ll need to measure the inner width of the wheel to be 100% sure. It’ll likely be fine unless your hybrid wheel has an uncommonly wide inner width.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0202/9884/t/11/assets/Dropbar_Tire_Rim_Compatibility.jpg?1438

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FireTora posted:

It looks like the locknut probably came off, take a look at this park tool video, they show the whole spindle taken apart at ~3 minutes. I'd unscrew the part that's still in the pedal body and if all the parts are still there, just put it back together with some new grease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmSrsnVUGI

Thanks, that video makes sense, but doesn’t explain how the whole pedal body fell off in the street. And I’m not sure there’s anything else left in the pedal body to re-attach other than grease. Will have a poke around.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

wooger posted:

Thanks, that video makes sense, but doesn’t explain how the whole pedal body fell off in the street. And I’m not sure there’s anything else left in the pedal body to re-attach other than grease. Will have a poke around.

The little nut that he's tightening in the thumbnail is the lock nut that holds the assembly together. It's screwed onto the axle. If those 2 nuts came undone the bearing 'sleeve' can come right off and that is what is screwed into the pedal body. That ring that is still on your axle is probably the seal that the grease is pushing through in the video.

Chuck Mortician
May 14, 2009
This morning my rear gears started going crazy, and then two seconds later the chain snapped. Here's the damage:

It looks like a piece of string somehow found its way into the lower jockey wheel, which then seized. The rear derailleur is now very bent out of alignment.

So this is not repairable, right? I need a new rear derailleur, and do I also need a new hanger? I've not worked on this area of the bike before.

This is an 8 speed bike, which originally had Shimano 2300 shifters. It seems that there are no 8 speed road derailleurs at all on market. Would a mountain bike part (eg. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-acera-m360-rear-mech-78-speed) work?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Mountain will work. Nobody has a Claris rear mech available?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Pretty sure the hanger needs replacing too.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
If I had to move a bike that dirty, I'd find a way off too. :v:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
If you change your chain and not that old cassette, it'll skip under load, you need to do both at the same time.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SimonSays posted:

If you change your chain and not that old cassette, it'll skip under load, you need to do both at the same time.

Not if you have been changing your chain before it wears down too much. I've got over 10,000 miles on the cassette and chainrings and have gone thru 3 sets of chains.

I use the Park tool and change the chain as soon as possible when it gets to 0.5" on the indicator.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

VideoGameVet posted:

Not if you have been changing your chain before it wears down too much. I've got over 10,000 miles on the cassette and chainrings and have gone thru 3 sets of chains.

I use the Park tool and change the chain as soon as possible when it gets to 0.5" on the indicator.

Sure but that cassette doesn't look fresh and you change and clean your chains more that anyone else here

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SimonSays posted:

Sure but that cassette doesn't look fresh and you change and clean your chains more that anyone else here

I'm still new to bikes, but what about that cassette doesn't look fresh? To me, it looks like a black cassette (can they even come in black?) but doesn't look worn.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

poemdexter posted:

I'm still new to bikes, but what about that cassette doesn't look fresh? To me, it looks like a black cassette (can they even come in black?) but doesn't look worn.

It's honestly just hard/impossible to tell from that picture.
It's just a reasonable assumption that the chain and cassette are both worn because it's an 8speed commuter bike that looks like it's lived a hard life.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

bicievino posted:

It's honestly just hard/impossible to tell from that picture.
It's just a reasonable assumption that the chain and cassette are both worn because it's an 8speed commuter bike that looks like it's lived a hard life.

100% agree it's lived a good, hard life.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SimonSays posted:

I do clean the chain, but I also get a few 1000 miles per chain because there are 3-chain lengths on the Recumbent. And I run SuperSecret chain stuff which apparently is as good as they say it is. At least in terms of quietness and apparent low friction (crank spin test).

Also it helps that I ride in San Diego and Orange Counties, California.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I'm having issues with phantom shifts (not sure how else to describe it, it shifts without input from me) on the cassette on my road bike - I'm not sure what's going on here, but if I apply pressure to the pedals, it will often just jump to a smaller cog.

It has been disgusting and dirty and rainy and humid here so the bike is very dirty - will a clean and lube of the drive train help out here, or is this rear derailleur thing I should take to the shop. The bike is relatively new (bought in January), so I still am within my window of free adjustments.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

I'm having issues with phantom shifts (not sure how else to describe it, it shifts without input from me) on the cassette on my road bike - I'm not sure what's going on here, but if I apply pressure to the pedals, it will often just jump to a smaller cog.

It has been disgusting and dirty and rainy and humid here so the bike is very dirty - will a clean and lube of the drive train help out here, or is this rear derailleur thing I should take to the shop. The bike is relatively new (bought in January), so I still am within my window of free adjustments.

The cable has stretched, as is expected from new cables, and you just need it adjusted.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah just head back to the bike shop to get it tuned, that's normal. If you wanna do it yourself check park tool, as always:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To add, do not let them sell you anything during your 'free adjustment'.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Thanks all

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Looking for some advice:

New bike - Shimano Deore (MT500) brakes on RT54 rotors.
Things were fine for the first 50-100 kilometers, no super technical riding, pavement and light trail.
Gave the bike a wash, just water, no soap or other chemicals - let it air dry.
Ever since, it's been doing the brake-scream.

Noticed that the brake was rubbing very lightly.
I started by trying the quick alignment: loosen the caliber bolts, brake, re-tighten. No change.
I tried resetting the pistons - insert screwdriver between the pads, twist - no change.
I've attempted the slightly modified version: the above, but with some paper folded around the rotor. It helped with the rubbing - but upon application, the scream is still there.

I'm a little baffled at possible causes at this point - for brand-new brakes, is it plausible that they need to be resurfaced already?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Might be minor contamination from the cleaning solution you used. Pull the pads out wipe em down with a clean paper towel clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol and reassemble.

Edit: something like Swiss stop disc brake silencer spray might also work but in practice this stuff is kinda meh.

If that doesn't work your choices might be to replace the pads and maybe rotors, or live with it. My semi metallic pads infused with road salt on my commuter make amazingly terrible sounds but at least I don't need a bell.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 25, 2021

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Might be minor contamination from the cleaning solution you used. Pull the pads out wipe em down with a clean paper towel clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol and reassemble.

Edit: something like Swiss stop disc brake silencer spray might also work but in practice this stuff is kinda meh.

If that doesn't work your choices might be to replace the pads and maybe rotors, or live with it. My semi metallic pads infused with road salt on my commuter make amazingly terrible sounds but at least I don't need a bell.

I'll have to hit it with some isopropyl this weekend and see if that helps - thanks for the suggestion - I've been fearing that the next step is to hunt down a centerlock wrench and actually yank the rotor off and hit it with some sandpaper. That or just live with it for the like 5 weeks it'll take to get it into a shop for service.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Cuntpunch posted:

I'll have to hit it with some isopropyl this weekend and see if that helps - thanks for the suggestion - I've been fearing that the next step is to hunt down a centerlock wrench and actually yank the rotor off and hit it with some sandpaper. That or just live with it for the like 5 weeks it'll take to get it into a shop for service.

you don't need to take the rotor off to sand paper it down, just get a small piece and scrub both sides of the braking area lightly.
you're not really taking off a bunch of material or doing anything crazy just roughing up the surface enough to help bed the pads and rotor in again.

I'd do the whole thing...take out the pads, clean with iso alcohol, clean the rotor with iso alcohol, then scuff up both the pads and the rotor with some sandpaper then re-assemble and re-bed the pads

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Levitate posted:

you don't need to take the rotor off to sand paper it down, just get a small piece and scrub both sides of the braking area lightly.
you're not really taking off a bunch of material or doing anything crazy just roughing up the surface enough to help bed the pads and rotor in again.

I'd do the whole thing...take out the pads, clean with iso alcohol, clean the rotor with iso alcohol, then scuff up both the pads and the rotor with some sandpaper then re-assemble and re-bed the pads

That makes sense, in a few quick teach-myself-via-Youtube videos, the approach to properly resurfacing stuff seemed to normally be to do a full disassembly - pull the pads, pull the rotor, work on them separately and then re-assemble. That's super helpful to know that the rotor stuff can be done in-situ!

And while I'm laying flat and exposing my sheer ignorance - what in the *gently caress* is the toothed plastic sickle tool that seems to crop up in a pair with a brush? I don't even know the name for it.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 25, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My method has always been to spray the pads liberally with alcohol. Sand them down on a flat surface while still wet. A sidewalk honestly works really well for this. Spray with iso again to remove and sand paper or sidewalk dust. Then rub the pads together until they form a light paste. Install them with that light paste, it helps bed in the rotor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cuntpunch posted:

And while I'm laying flat and exposing my sheer ignorance - what in the *gently caress* is the toothed plastic sickle tool that seems to crop up in a pair with a brush? I don't even know the name for it.

Cassette cleaning brush. Every brand has one.
https://www.amazon.com/Muc-Off-204-Claw-Brush/dp/B0045ZWU8Q

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

I get the brush part, it's the teeth-that-don't-fit-anything that I don't quite understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The teeth fit inside 8psd cogs and rings. They are also sometimes useful for dirt in and around bottom brackets.