Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

agreed, when i revisit oblivion i just never visit sean bean and keep his amulet for the whole game so the gates never spawn

the most heroic move of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've been playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion again lately and it's good. the graphics are nice and colourful, tons of flowers and nice green trees. the magic is better than skyrim, even a puny fireball sends an enemy ragdoll flying which is really satisfying

it's really worth going back to

Man, a couple years back I tried to revisit it in earnest, and just couldn't stick with it. I love the world so much but the quests and gameplay are so boring.

Sorta wish there was a TES3MP type deal for Oblivion, that would be a blast. Last I checked there was a project for it but it was super hacky and clearly abandoned.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oblivion was my chill out game in high school so I have a soft spot for it. That and the fact that I never really got to see it run well until a long time after it came out means i keep coming back to it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

Oblivion was my chill out game in high school so I have a soft spot for it. That and the fact that I never really got to see it run well until a long time after it came out means i keep coming back to it.

same but I would play it after work. the music is great, the forests look good and colourful, it's relaxing

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
always thought oblivion was a pretty week entry in the series but then again it gave us this perfect video so who can say if its bad or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hVmn9FM7o

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kuvo posted:

always thought oblivion was a pretty week entry in the series but then again it gave us this perfect video so who can say if its bad or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hVmn9FM7o

lol I think I watched all for BACON_'s videos in one go a couple months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjTv8ivh7mY

/khajiit doubletake

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im the one motherfucker who kinda liked the speech minigame

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

jesus WEP posted:

im the one motherfucker who kinda liked the speech minigame

the very first time i played oblivion i picked speech and mercantile among my main traits

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i dont miss obsessively jumping around everywhere i go to level up acrobatics

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i do

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

i dont miss obsessively jumping around everywhere i go to level up acrobatics

I loving do, jumping rooftop to rooftop wuxia style in morrowind is amazing, same with levitation

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gently caress fast travel, you just have to jump up onto a giant mushroom, drink a potion and fuckin fly away

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, I like games where “fast travel” is just a faster more convenient way to get around and and not some lazy teleport

ff airships, for example

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

yeah being able to run 100mph and leap into the clouds was a huge part of morrowind

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
one time in morrowind I was dying of poison, and I used the garbage in my inventory to summon a scamp, then drain the life of the scamp to keep up with the drain from the poison

that move kept me from reloading a save from an hour before

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fast travel in spider-man is good because you get funny interstitial of spider-man riding the subway

it is bad because traversal in that game is super fun so you never want to fast travel and see the subway bits

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i liked the fast travel system in hollow knight. the stag stations had the perfect distribution where it was always a bit of a haul to get to the nearest one but the overall map was so large they were still really useful to have

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah being able to run 100mph and leap into the clouds was a huge part of morrowind
boots of blinding speed + blinding or w/e resistance seemed really clever to me 20 years ago

and yeah super jump plus featherfall was a funny way to """fast travel"""

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

fast travel in spider-man is good because you get funny interstitial of spider-man riding the subway

it is bad because traversal in that game is super fun so you never want to fast travel and see the subway bits

Yeah, that was a good one. Would be nice if fantasy games did something like needing to have the king’s highway actively patrolled by guards and the cutscene is you passing traders’ wagons rather than lazily teleporting you outside of the next town.

that being said I much prefer teleporting to having an “open world” so condensed that you can gallop from a desert to a glacier in a couple minutes.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i appreciate games that seamlessly load new areas, even if they're not open world. the first game i remember where that made an impression on me was dungeon siege

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SmokaDustbowl posted:

one time in morrowind I was dying of poison, and I used the garbage in my inventory to summon a scamp, then drain the life of the scamp to keep up with the drain from the poison

that move kept me from reloading a save from an hour before

i never thought to do that! that's awesome and the type of clever solutioning that made it so fun

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

they really tore the heart out of magic going from morrowind to skyrim, that's probably the one thing that made me want to play a mage-like character less and less with each iteration of TES

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

President Beep posted:

i want something that’ll really make me freak out, man.

another thought on this is Green Hell. its got survival stuff which might not be your bag but its really tense - wandering around a hostile jungle with no map standing on tarantulas. not a perfect game but it really got under my skin.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i remember reading something once about blizzard (maybe valve?) employing psychologists to make maximally "rewarding" games and boy does it work on me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i remember reading something once about blizzard (maybe valve?) employing psychologists to make maximally "rewarding" games and boy does it work on me

They recently introduced crossplay in that game and it's been a favorite in my friend group.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
what even is that game? i want those imaginary fistbumps so bad

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Corla Plankun posted:

Overwatch, the game itself isn't that good but it's pretty fun playing when you have a stack of people.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Also I am bad at shooters and have the reflexes of a boomer. :negative:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They recently introduced crossplay in that game and it's been a favorite in my friend group.

i noticed this on the queuing screen, i wonder how it determines what pool to place you in?

Corla Plankun posted:

overwatch, you can "endorse" your teammates for "sportsmanship", "good teammate", and "shot caller". you can endorse people on the opposing team for just "sportsmanship". in the screenshot i posted, all five of my teammates thought i did a good job :shobon:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dioxazine posted:

they really tore the heart out of magic going from morrowind to skyrim, that's probably the one thing that made me want to play a mage-like character less and less with each iteration of TES

yeah. for me it was that spells could fizzle in morrowind making it a gamble and more fun to try to take chances. i can see why it was simplified in later games, but i wish it was something left in and tied to difficulty level. by skyrim i changed to melee sneak thieves with daggers/swords and bows instead of mage hybrids

major breaking bad spoilers but this clip really nails that satisfying moment when you're low level and get a lucky cast in a battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-oWoIhkIhs

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/1407527439048142856

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TURPA KIINNI KISSA ÄIÄ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

a horse only has 1hp my dude

a horse actually has like 6-8 peak horsepower. 1 horsepower is how much a horse can produce continuously all day long.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

a horse actually has like 6-8 peak horsepower. 1 horsepower is how much a horse can produce continuously all day long.

who loving cares

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

settle down, fishmech

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

who loving cares

how come you're so angry all the time

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

how come you're so angry all the time

they cant even afford a new avatar

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i once saw a horse make 9 horsepower

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i saw horses the other day. dunno what they were making but it seemed very powerful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

PokeJoe posted:

i once saw a horse make 9 horsepower

you got the dyno sheets to back that up?