Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Saoshyant posted:

What the hell. Looking at it, if I didn't know it was a different game I'd have said "yeah that's Riven alright". Because it's very Riven-alike... possibly, excessively so, but the reviews are good so I'll keep an eye out.

The problem with Quern is how little it cares to hide its puzzles. In Myst they are usually disguised as machinery that fits in with the environment and has a narrative reason for being there.

In Quern, there's a sliding tile puzzle within the first few minutes. Iirc you have to solve it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, did anyone ever confirm whether the Riftbreaker demo was the same one from last year?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Mordja posted:

Oh, did anyone ever confirm whether the Riftbreaker demo was the same one from last year?

They have been regularly updating it to keep it in line with the full game but the content should be the same afaik.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Antigravitas posted:

The problem with Quern is how little it cares to hide its puzzles. In Myst they are usually disguised as machinery that fits in with the environment and has a narrative reason for being there.

In Quern, there's a sliding tile puzzle within the first few minutes. Iirc you have to solve it twice.

Well, that's a hard pass then. It didn't sit properly with me that it was ripping wholesale Riven's aesthetics, but just acting like a HOG instead of actually mimicking what the Myst games actually got right is bad form.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

This is so plainly bad that seeing it gives me a weird feeling of anxiety, like - if a team of artists can look at that animation and think "yep, nailed it" then how many times in my life have I thought that I was doing something competently when actually I was doing a really embarrassingly bad job of it?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Triarii posted:

This is so plainly bad that seeing it gives me a weird feeling of anxiety, like - if a team of artists can look at that animation and think "yep, nailed it" then how many times in my life have I thought that I was doing something competently when actually I was doing a really embarrassingly bad job of it?

I don't think most devs wake up and go into work going "I'm gonna make a bad game on purpose!" Even if gamers claim that that's intentional a lot of the time, I think most of the time it's just a small or inexperienced team that doesn't have anyone sanity checking them for some reason. It is still impressively bad, in this instance.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Or they don't have a choice in the matter of whether a game is good or bad because of higher-ups, and their morale is low enough that they mostly just work for the paycheck.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Squashing Machine posted:

Yeah, Wildermyth's difficulty can vary pretty wildly even on Normal, and the Incursion fights tend to have something like twice the number of enemies as a normal fight. The game's systems are just a little too basic compared to something like XCOM to make it feel like the harder difficulties are worth it, because there's only so much smart play can do for you and your characters' abilities are pretty limited.

That being said, I adore the game for everything it manages to do outside of the combat, so I've just been happily sticking to Normal

I ended up reloading to the start of the fight and this time managed to make it through mostly unscathed. I think the main issue was since it was the first difficult fight I'd had I hadn't realised I shoulf be playing a bit more cautiously! I think I'll be sticking with Hard for the moment in the hope it'll force me to make some interesting/tough decisions later (I've already had someone lose a hand and come back with a cool hook insted).

The story stuff is defintely where it shines the most though. Very excited to see what happens to my crew next!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The 7th Guest posted:

Or they don't have a choice in the matter of whether a game is good or bad because of higher-ups, and their morale is low enough that they mostly just work for the paycheck.

Yeah what do you want them to do, voluntary crunch until the bow drawing motion is picture perfect? gently caress that imma just send whatever in, hope nobody criticizes me about it, go home on time and get drunk

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Play posted:

You might wanna check out a game called Sunblaze. Not sure if it was explicitly inspired by Celeste but it certainly seems so and absolutely scratches that same itch. In fact I'd go so far as to say the moment to moment platforming is a bit more fun. Less good on story and theme and general presentation, but still worth checking out.
Ooh, thanks for the rec. I'll take a look at it next chance I get.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Triarii posted:

I imagine that pride as an artist goes out the window when it comes to corporate gigs like that, and the goal is just "make it work".

When years later they started telling the stories about Superman 64 development a lot of it came down to the management spending most of the time patting themselves on the back and constantly changing project goals. The actual artists and devs were basically forced to put out whatever they could on a crunch schedule by the end and no one was happy or proud with the final product.

It reminds me of how when they were making Donkey Kong 64, they encountered a terminal glitch that occurred without the expansion pack installed, and eventually because of time demands were forced to ship the game as is and include the expansion pack with the game, making it a net loss on profit for every game sold.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

That too and more likely, yeah.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Orv posted:

I don't think most devs wake up and go into work going "I'm gonna make a bad game on purpose!" Even if gamers claim that that's intentional a lot of the time, I think most of the time it's just a small or inexperienced team that doesn't have anyone sanity checking them for some reason. It is still impressively bad, in this instance.

Or some manager says "you have 4 hours to do the bow animation!"

:eng101: "but it'll take at least a week to make a good animation!"

"your negative attitude will be reflected in your pay review! 4! hours!"

:eng99: "...ok, 4 hours"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Nobody is proud of those archer animations. It's just what ended up in the final version because they were out of time and probably massively overworked. It looks like a rough placeholder animation and that's because it very likely is a placeholder that ended up being judged as "good enough".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

As soon as I saw the trailer from 2 years ago which somehow multiple people must have had to sign off on for it to be released I was immediately "There's no way this is going to be any good".

I mean if they'd release that as a promotion for their game they were clearly utterly clueless.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Saoshyant posted:

Well, that's a hard pass then. It didn't sit properly with me that it was ripping wholesale Riven's aesthetics, but just acting like a HOG instead of actually mimicking what the Myst games actually got right is bad form.

I think that's a harsh estimation of Quern. It's not just HOG-style bouncing from arbitrary puzzle to arbitrary puzzle. Most of the puzzles flow together relatively plausibly and half the point is that there's an unseen mastermind intentionally dicking around. Really not that far off from how the original Myst presents itself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Interesting and relevant thread:
https://twitter.com/Mike_Prinke/status/1400901539091386370

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Triarii posted:

I thought it was gonna be bad in a way I enjoyed but no, it’s just bad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

John Murdoch posted:

I think that's a harsh estimation of Quern. It's not just HOG-style bouncing from arbitrary puzzle to arbitrary puzzle. Most of the puzzles flow together relatively plausibly and half the point is that there's an unseen mastermind intentionally dicking around. Really not that far off from how the original Myst presents itself.

Yeah honestly it’s been a few years since I played it but it was a perfectly fine 3D puzzle game with plainly obvious inspirations. I’m not a diehard puzzle guy but I found the game to be reasonably challenging without being either brain dead or frustratingly opaque, and would probably recommend it to anybody looking for a puzzle game—particularly, for example, if it goes on sale during the summer sale.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does Prodeus have its own thread? It's an absolutely incredible game that I cannot play for more than one or two levels at a time, because it is an assault on my senses and reaction speed.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

Does Prodeus have its own thread? It's an absolutely incredible game that I cannot play for more than one or two levels at a time, because it is an assault on my senses and reaction speed.

I don't know if it does, but the early fps thread has talked about it a lot: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Nekro

Feels like a somewhat creative attempt at single player DOTA with a story. I think it was one of the early Steam Greenlight games that eventually ran out of money and they abandoned the project. Not terrible, but not my kind of game, more of a console designed twin stick action combat like so many similar xbox arcade live games from the early 2010s.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

girl dick energy posted:

I don’t believe it does but, like ponzicar said, we talk about it quite a bit in the retro FPS thread they linked.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I get how a bad game gets made (lord knows I've worked on a bunch myself); I was specifically referring to the stellar archery animations at the timestamped spot in the video.

https://i.imgur.com/HahJBH6.mp4

"Placeholder animation that they never got a chance to replace" is honestly probably the best explanation there. I can't be sure though, because animation quality is something that's hugely variable even amongst big-budget games. Like, Bethesda's animations have always been pretty strikingly bad.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
she is just that good with the bow.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Squashing Machine posted:

Yeah, Wildermyth's difficulty can vary pretty wildly even on Normal, and the Incursion fights tend to have something like twice the number of enemies as a normal fight. The game's systems are just a little too basic compared to something like XCOM to make it feel like the harder difficulties are worth it, because there's only so much smart play can do for you and your characters' abilities are pretty limited.

That being said, I adore the game for everything it manages to do outside of the combat, so I've just been happily sticking to Normal

I played the Gorgon tutorial/game on Normal (Adventurer) and I found it to be too easy. Never really felt like my party was in danger in the turn-based combat with the exception of a couple times.

I started a new 5 chapter campaign on Hard (Tragic Hero) and it was just the right difficulty of turn-based combat for me. Unfortunately Hard (Tragic Hero) on the Overland Campaign Difficulty kicked my rear end, specifically when there were Incursions that were strength 7 and above. I experienced more than one total party wipe. I think a Combat difficulty of Tragic Hero but a Overland Campaign Difficulty of Adventurer will be my sweet spot and may work for others as well.

Apart from that, the storytelling really is glorious. Each of the comic book like vignettes draw you in and really make you consider that the characters are more than a jumble of stats. I even encountered a poignant moment upon the death of a character where the father of said dead character went outdoors and challenged Death (figuratively), then said tell my child I love them.. Pulled at my heart strings a little.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's probably expected that the player will usually be moving and the running animation will hide it. little hard to hide when the shooting animation comes with literally 0 motion on almost all of her body though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Maybe the characters have a history in isolation dancing you don't know

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Triarii posted:

I get how a bad game gets made (lord knows I've worked on a bunch myself); I was specifically referring to the stellar archery animations at the timestamped spot in the video.

https://i.imgur.com/HahJBH6.mp4

"Placeholder animation that they never got a chance to replace" is honestly probably the best explanation there. I can't be sure though, because animation quality is something that's hugely variable even amongst big-budget games. Like, Bethesda's animations have always been pretty strikingly bad.

Looks like they got the same guy who does Mortal Kombat animations

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoy reading people play these demos and make lists of games to check out in the future, which I have a 1% chance of revisiting when the games finally do release

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hades: I’m going to beat it any run now but man what a great game. I finally unlocked aspects and I think the bow is my favorite weapon.

Also Dusa is my friend.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it's probably expected that the player will usually be moving and the running animation will hide it. little hard to hide when the shooting animation comes with literally 0 motion on almost all of her body though.

Didn't someone say earlier that a preview of the game showed an overhead camera like its predecessor? I wonder if the animations were made with that perspective in mind, and then the decision to change it to standard 3rd person came way too late to change them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rolo posted:

Hades: I’m going to beat it any run now but man what a great game. I finally unlocked aspects and I think the bow is my favorite weapon.

Also Dusa is my friend.

Keep playing until you get a credit roll

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Boy, that Vermintide 2 really is a bucket of fun, even if I am only playing with randoms. Is there a discord for finding games with goon?

Edit: found it. While I’m at it, is there a discord for Hunt: Showdown?

Same Discord as the Vermintide goons' one (Goonintide, that is)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Raft worth trying out? Not into the survival games (Though I do like Subnautica and what I played of Valheim and Grounded) but it does look intriguing

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoy reading people play these demos and make lists of games to check out in the future, which I have a 1% chance of revisiting when the games finally do release
Speaking of which, I tried out a demo for a city builder using the very in-vogue theme of colonising Mars, Terraformers

The demo is along the same themes as Slipways in that you are time limited (in turns) and have to manage your colony to meet the objectives presented to you. It's not entirely clear to me if this is a demo thing, a campaign thing, or the way the game plays in general.

To start with you are given the choice of colony leaders - these come with popularity ratings which will affect the happiness of your colonists, and a selection of abilities they can activate each turn in order to grow the colony - and your first colony. Each turn you will receive any resources your territory produces, plus your choice of one or two random 'cards' that represent your development options, so you're trying to grow your resource generation while balancing (in the demo) your colonist happiness, while planning toward your expensive developments and navigating any bad luck of pulling multiple turns of Energy generators instead of Food. There's random events which will award you extra resource production or developments, and bouncing colony leaders and their associated abilities when you need to.

The demo was pretty easy, like I would have to try in order to fail it, but I really liked the different systems and it sounds like it opens up a lot since the demo doesn't even get you started on actually doing the, you know, titular terraforming.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Raft worth trying out? Not into the survival games (Though I do like Subnautica and what I played of Valheim and Grounded) but it does look intriguing
If you're playing solo the survival can be quite a chore, but even with just two of you there's enough of a labour split that it's not so pressing. The story portion is unfinished in an unsatisfactory way and the gameworld is a bit janky, but it's not a bad hangout game since there's always things to be doing on the raft and a lot of fun things to find.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Unlucky7 posted:

I’ve gotten my money’s worth so far playing with a chill buddy. I wouldn’t play solo but having someone to share the experience with has been very fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The new State of Decay 2 update is really great. The ability to switch between weapons on the fly now is already such a complete game changer. I never wanted to use things like crossbows before because if you missed you were hosed but you can now have a real gun and a crossbow or a big machine gun and something less ridiculous. It's fantastic. On top of that though the plague hearts are actually things you have to deal with because they infect a whole area around it, and upgrading outposts can give you things like specialized abilities you normally have to find new survivors to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I heard that the co-op in state of decay 2 had issues, is that still true?