Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

galenanorth posted:

What is the best graphics card that will work with my PC from 2012?

PCIe: 2.1x16; 8.000 GB/s maximum throughput
Current GPU: Radeon HD 6770, 11.42'' long, 6.69'' high, 1.97'' wide
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Hard to get any graphics cards at all right now. anything you can get is going to be 2-3x its normal price. That includes used cards.

That said, your first limiting factor will be your PSU. If it's also from 2012, you probably need a new one. Your CPU is also pretty old.

Do you have any specific games you're trying to play? You might seriously be better off buying a console and selling it when graphics card prices fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My display is 1080p at 60 Hz.

I was thinking about trying out Yuzu (Nintendo Switch) emulator for Super Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which requires OpenGL 4.6, which requires a Radeon HD 7000 series graphics card at minimum --- the year after the GPU I'm using now came out. I'm also wanting to try out Red Dead Redemption 1 on the Xenia (Xbox 360) emulator.

Civilization VI. Monster Hunter: World. The Lost Ark MMO

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You've waited this long, you can wait another few months for more sane GPU prices.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

galenanorth posted:

I was thinking about trying out Yuzu (Nintendo Switch) emulator for Super Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which requires OpenGL 4.6, which requires a Radeon HD 7000 series graphics card at minimum --- the year after the GPU I'm using now came out. I'm also wanting to try out Red Dead Redemption 1 on the Xenia (Xbox 360) emulator.

Note that emulation is very CPU heavy. I don't know much about switch and x360 emulators, but a 2300 sounds like it could run into major performance issues attempting to emulate those consoles. I would ask around and see how viable that chip is with those emulators before making any upgrades. A casual check on my end tells me you may run into a lot of trouble trying to run those emulators on that CPU no matter what graphics card you get.

Also be aware that you are going to have to massively overpay for a graphics card if you plan on buying anything now. You have quite seriously picked the worst time in the history of PC gaming to want a new graphics card.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Four CPU threads is really pushing it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Thank you all. The chip doesn't meet the Yuzu system requirements (Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz) or the Monster Hunter: World minimum requirements (Intel Core i5-4460, 3.20GHz) either, I probably should have noticed that. There are still a lot of recent games that work on this PC, such as Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, so I should wait a few more years before considering upgrading.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 22, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't care what anyone says, this is loving cool.

they ruined it with all of the excessive RoG text

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
AMD lists these as FSR Studio Partners:

https://twitter.com/AMDGaming/status/1407357710211878921

mA fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 22, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

galenanorth posted:

You can play red dead, monster hunter, and civ 6 on an xbox one (the interface for civ 6 works surprisingly well).

You can probably get a used xbone and switch lite for under $350, and you don't have to worry about weird emulator glitches or upgrading your whole computer.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mA posted:

AMD lists these as FSR Studio Partners:

That's a lot of studios, though it's hard to say how many are adopting FSR on its merits vs. for some AMD cross promotion deal

As I mentioned before some like Capcom and Ubisoft already ship temporal reconstruction on PC so I can't imagine why they'd bother adding a simpler upscaler than what they already have, besides incentives

No harm in more options anyway, looks like people who like FSR will have plenty of opportunities to use it

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 22, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

galenanorth posted:

What is the best graphics card that will work with my PC from 2012?

PCIe: 2.1x16; 8.000 GB/s maximum throughput
Current GPU: Radeon HD 6770, 11.42'' long, 6.69'' high, 1.97'' wide
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Beyond the (good) advice others are giving you, just a note that on a technical level, pretty much everything will plug into everything, as long as you have enough a PSU that’s beefy enough to run it. You could put an RTX 3090 on an Athlon 64 if you wanted, as long as it had a PCIe slot.

(at least in broad strokes. technically I think there might finally be an official requirement for 64 bit nowadays? and there are some gotchas like PCIe x1 slots potentially not having enough power to fully drive a GPU (perhaps requiring a powered riser and so on) and of course GPU length and slot size have been increasing over the years and may not be compatible with your case. But generally speaking PCIe just works (tm) regardless of era.)

As others are noting it’s a terrible time to buy a GPU, and your cpu is not real great there. But generally speaking you will want to stay on NVIDIA cards, I constantly see people complaining about bad OpenGL performance and bad emulation performance on AMD cards. If you are trying to stay on a tight budget, a place to start might be the GTX 970 and 1060 3GB as these are less inflated due to mining (because of the small vram - which is also a downside for you too).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Once mining demand lets up a little and prices normalize somewhat in a few months (hopefully, maybe), you may be able to snag a used 1060 6gb on the cheap from people who are upgrading to newer cards. It'll be old and crusty in the coming generation, but I used one until early last year and it did great running the last generation of games. There's a reason why it's been the most popular graphics card for so long. (Well, two, the second reason being the gpu shortage is preventing people from upgrading to better cards :v:)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 22, 2021

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Should I turn either of these on? I have a 1080ti and a monitor with the actual G-sync hardware in it if that matters.

The best answers I could find seem to be "maybe".

edit: I assume the answer is no because they're not on by default?

owls or something fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 23, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

edit: wrong thread

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

owls or something posted:

Should I turn either of these on? I have a 1080ti and a monitor with the actual G-sync hardware in it if that matters.

1080 also with actual g-sync module here, both of them are on with no apparent ill effects. IIRC the hardware GPU scheduling operates on a whitelist so it only actually does anything for applications that are known to benefit from it and otherwise stays off anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

owls or something posted:

Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling: it depends on the game but usually no. There was some excitement for it initially when applied to Microsoft Flight Simulator, but subsequent opinions have been mixed. Essentially what it does is move some of the command processing in the rendering pipeline from the CPU to the GPU. This may or may not do something meaningful depending on the game and your computer, but usually it won't do much. Some games actually performed worse with it on when it was first implemented (like RDR2), but I don't know if they ever fixed that. I would say no to that one. I can't test it myself because it's NVidia only (despite what various tech sites say). AMD did add support for it to their drivers last year but then quickly rescinded it and never added support back for some reason.

Variable Refresh Rate: This is also controllable by your graphics drivers, and it should usually be on. It's FreeSync/G-Sync support, basically, which are just good.

edit: There's a GN video for everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlrWDb1pKXg

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 23, 2021

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
My experience with HAGS was that turning it on made games crash for no performance benefit. One of those 'try again next year' options.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Everything I've read about it when I was looking it up earlier in the year was that its very rarely going to improve performance and is almost certainly going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Alan Smithee posted:

Newegg has a gundam pre build up for pre order

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali540/p/N82E16883360160

I know some animators rich and nerdy enough to want to get that, which I should share that with. :stare:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
after watching the Gamers Nexus and Digital Foundry coverage of FSR, I'm tempted to dig out my RX 560 and see how that'd work with it. Based on the 5700G results I'm sure my 2400G would work just fine

... I wonder what kind of performance you can extract with a Bulldozer APU...

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Which saw do you recommend for fitting a 3090 into a meshify c case?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just take a dremel to the front panel and let the card stick out. what can go wrong?

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

There's a kawaii RX6800XT on Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/yeston-radeon-rx-6800-xt-rx6800xt-16gd6-ya/p/27N-0042-00089

I would seriously consider purchasing it if it were close to MSRP because lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s a heckin cute card

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

More. 👏🏻White. 👏🏻 GPUs. 👏🏻

They look so good.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Oh, GN reviewed that card. It’s apparently dunked in perfume before being boxed up and shipped out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-YSg1KkIQ

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 23, 2021

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

SpicyPete posted:

Oh, GN reviewed that card. It’s apparently dunked in perfume before being boxed up and shipped out

https://youtu.be/BT-YSg1KkIQ

We're coming closer and closer to gpus you can gently caress. It's the gamer endgame.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

SpicyPete posted:

https://youtu.be/BT-YSg1KkIQ

They missed an easy opportunity to have the packaging material be a small pillow with a waifu on it.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Definitely feels like we're watching GPU prices crash down in the UK now. As an example, I watched one of the better AIB (Sapphire Nitro+) 6700XT's sell for £620 in an eBay auction today, probably netting the seller ~£560 - for a card that maybe as little as a month ago was being scalped by bots instantly at £700+ and reselling for £800+.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

SpicyPete posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-YSg1KkIQ

There’s extra, then there is whatever this is, and I *love* it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

after watching the Gamers Nexus and Digital Foundry coverage of FSR, I'm tempted to dig out my RX 560 and see how that'd work with it. Based on the 5700G results I'm sure my 2400G would work just fine

... I wonder what kind of performance you can extract with a Bulldozer APU...

It's looking real interesting - I hope it gains some momentum. Wendell was loving it, but he's much less critical than GN in general.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Begall posted:

Definitely feels like we're watching GPU prices crash down in the UK now. As an example, I watched one of the better AIB (Sapphire Nitro+) 6700XT's sell for £620 in an eBay auction today, probably netting the seller ~£560 - for a card that maybe as little as a month ago was being scalped by bots instantly at £700+ and reselling for £800+.

yeah, can confirm at very least on facebook market things are no longer flying off the shelves at eye watering rates. marked down from 900 to 800, but they were clearing £1k not that long ago at all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you know looking at the listing it's interesting - the seller comments how they bought a 3070 as a stopgap, and now that they've lucked into a 3080ti for rrp (with prices so high) they thought they could easily sell the 3070 and recoup his costs. i wonder how common that assumption is.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
EVGA has new SKUs to put in for (it says elite but rn I think it's just open to all)

https://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/1404480055451873296?s=20

https://twitter.com/BethesdaGear/status/1407730236054200322?s=20

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 23, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wow, 200 winners is actually sick? That's a quarter of a million dollars Bethesda is putting down (going by the MSRP bundle price they give)

Edit: jesus christ the raffle is for a CHANCE TO BUY THIS, not win it

change my name fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 23, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CoolCab posted:

they thought they could easily sell the 3070 and recoup his costs. i wonder how common that assumption is.

That is kinda the coins enthusiast business plan. Bits are mined on extremely specific machinery, so they haven’t been as intrusive to the market as the Etherium mining is ‘cause of doing it on consumer GPUs. Those dudes count on number go up, so if go down can sell used cards for more money than even other newer cards at MSRP from a stressed-out supplier/consumer market. If nobody wants those used, possibly overused, cards it seriously eats into their profit plan.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

Amazon.fr
[€467.32] ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 TI OC Edition Carte graphique Nvidia Ampere, DLSS, PCIe 4.0, mémoire DDR6 8 Go, 2 x HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4, TUF-RTX3060TI-O8G-GAMING
https://alert.partalert.net/product?token=0E7A59266B46ED2E939CEFED97156F93

Fauxtool gets banned and a month later gpu prices are halving. Coincidence? I think not!

Seriously though, it feels like every day is a ~20-30 GBP/EUR average price drop towards something approximating MSRP.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
There are still guys on eBay selling prebuilt gaming PCs stripped of their GPUs.

I've heard there are lots of scalpers making a profit on each computer by selling components separately. If this crisis is ending, who will be left holding the bag?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Universe Master posted:

We're coming closer and closer to gpus you can gently caress. It's the gamer endgame.

The dark Chobit future is upon us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Twibbit posted:

The dark Chobit future is upon us

I hate you for reminding me of Chobits