Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh wow, i had no idea the alien autopsy guys actually came out and said it was a "reconstruction" of a film he had definitely actually seen, but that there's totally some random real frames in it, somewhere

a kitten has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a kitten posted:

Oh wow, i had no idea the alien autopsy guys actually came out and said it was a "reconstruction" of a film he had definitely actually seen, but that there's totally some random real frames in it, somewhere

A similar story sprung up around the found footage alien abduction film Incident in Lake County because it was a remake of an older lower budget film The McPherson Tape and the story went that supposedly the older version was a real tape of a close encounter. This was after confusion around people think Incident in Lake Counter was a real tape - I remember a kid at school recounting it to me as if it was a real thing.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

a kitten posted:

Insane, right? "Oh there's genuine footage. In there. You know." (waves vaguely at footage)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

A similar story sprung up around the found footage alien abduction film Incident in Lake County because it was a remake of an older lower budget film The McPherson Tape and the story went that supposedly the older version was a real tape of a close encounter. This was after confusion around people think Incident in Lake Counter was a real tape - I remember a kid at school recounting it to me as if it was a real thing.

I kind of remember UPN advertising it as being real.

And Astonishing Legends had a good two parter interviewing the guy who actually made it, as opposed to the producer/creator who still claims there's some real footagein there

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/al-podcasts/2020/8/23/ep-186-alien-autopsy-part-1

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/al-podcasts/2020/9/6/ep-186-alien-autopsy-part-2

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've mentioned this before but I do find it funny that almost everyone on earth has quick access to a camera that UFO video and pictures are way less common than they once were. And the ones we do get is something just filming random things then suddenly UFO! Also no one else is reacting to it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

twistedmentat posted:

I've mentioned this before but I do find it funny that almost everyone on earth has quick access to a camera that UFO video and pictures are way less common than they once were. And the ones we do get is something just filming random things then suddenly UFO! Also no one else is reacting to it.

Well people are in fact filming tons and tons of 'ufo' footage on their cell phones (just search youtube for ufo's caught on cellphones), even if its almost entirely explainable with a cursory assessment. It almost feels that with the educative and informational freedom available with modern technology most of what's being taped as 'ufos' is just being debunked as fast as its being recorded by your average joe nowadays and never breaks the surface of public perception in a big way like sightings did a couple decades ago. I think that's mostly why (aside from the Navy tic-tac videos) no footage has really stood out in a while and is giving you the perception that recordings aren't happening as often.

I don't think there's been a falloff of unexplainable (but ultimately mundane) phenomena, just a shift in the paradigm within which its recognized.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Pentagon UAP/UFO report is out!

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It wasn't even a remake. They took footage from the McPherson Tape, edited it down to about a half-hour and added some Video Toaster level special effects.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mutant Headcrab posted:

It wasn't even a remake. They took footage from the McPherson Tape, edited it down to about a half-hour and added some Video Toaster level special effects.

When I looked it up it had a totally different cast.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/pearlonpoppers/status/1409346141381136386

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Ufo? More like lfo!

Amirite?!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

5G Horse is real, and strong, and he's my friend

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Groovelord Neato posted:

When I looked it up it had a totally different cast.

There are actually at least seven different versions of the movie.

The film was originally had a very limited release on VHS, as UFO Abduction. A bootleg version dubbed "The McPherson Tape" was then circulated around UFO conventions as a hoax, and became more famous than the original because people thought it was authentic. (The family in the movie are actually named the Van Heeses.)

To capitalize on the reputation of "The McPherson Tape", UFO Abduction was remade with a higher budget as Alien Abduction. A 30-minute hoax version was broadcast on TV, re-edited to resemble Alien Autopsy: Fact Or Fiction. This was followed by a 45-minute extended cut (misleadingly titled Alien Abduction II), which is the one people are most familiar with. The original 90-minute "director's cut" of Alien Abduction was eventually released on video, but remained obscure.

Following the explosion of popularity of found-footage movies, UFO Abduction was re-released on Blu-Ray but now officially titled The McPherson Tape. (This also includes an additional director's cut of the film with apparently-minor differences.)

For several decades, most people would have seen Alien Abduction II and heard vague rumblings about a mysterious real tape. Because they didn't have all this information, and not much understanding of distribution rights or found footage movies, it was easiest to fill the gaps in the narrative with conspiracy theories: the government released the slicker, slightly fakier Alien Abduction II to discredit the real tape!

SuperMechagodzilla has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Jun 30, 2021

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

They played a cut-down version of one of those as a segment on Sightings or one of those other mid-90's spooky mysteries shows and it scared the hell out of me. The ending with the aliens just walking casually past the dropped camera really stuck with me, even though Googling up the image now it's so clearly just some kids in masks and black sweatsuits. It's up there in with the Communion cover for me.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if you want to see the original McPherson Tape movie it's currently on shudder

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

alf_pogs posted:

if you want to see the original McPherson Tape movie it's currently on shudder

And i just canceled shudder!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Len posted:

And i just canceled shudder!

I sub to shutter ever halloween and am always disappointing how lacking it is with like 80s horror. I don't expect it to have like, Happy Birthday To Me or something else fairly obscure, but none of the big franchises?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

twistedmentat posted:

I sub to shutter ever halloween and am always disappointing how lacking it is with like 80s horror. I don't expect it to have like, Happy Birthday To Me or something else fairly obscure, but none of the big franchises?

They’ve had Friday & Freddy but it wasn’t for very long.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

This one's popped a couple times on some of the paranormal channels I follow. Alleged dragon attack in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQUvjMY8wI

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Lightning" is just media code for electric type dragons :tinfoil:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That is pretty rad, I would hang it on the wall.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

That is pretty rad, I would hang it on the wall.

Good news!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh I know just the place on my wall where I'm going to put that

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://youtu.be/rXHIqljwrfs

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh, yes please.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yup, that's an immediate subscribe.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Subscribed without watching more than one second

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Subscribed without watching more than one second

And hit the bell :smugdog:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh man, some grade-A classic bullshit in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqlhqPrS7o

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just saw this pop up on my feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKqujexw7Ds

Not really my thing because it looks a little too :tinfoil:, but cool that this stuff keeps getting high-profile docs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, from the horror movie thread, timestamped to the relevant content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwdg5jhfSPc

This was the good stuff when I was a kid. Sightings, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction, and Unsolved Mysteries were a drat good rotation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was so bummed at the new Unsolved Mysteries. They just slapped the name on a generic Netflix true crime doc (with one UFO ep in there).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was so bummed at the new Unsolved Mysteries. They just slapped the name on a generic Netflix true crime doc (with one UFO ep in there).

I knew it wouldn't be quite like the original, but I was still disappointed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve just found out about Not Deer and I’m enthralled. I love reading about peoples encounters with something, not even recorded before or some sort of local legend, but they have no clue what it is they’re seeing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1412782144968142850?s=19

It's apparently based on an old Malaysian film featuring a were tiger, may be fun? And I assume they would do a bunch of practical effects, I think that what the fangoria fan base likes

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve just found out about Not Deer and I’m enthralled. I love reading about peoples encounters with something, not even recorded before or some sort of local legend, but they have no clue what it is they’re seeing.

I also love this, even though it seems like a pretty straight forward case of "People who don't see deer all the time are not prepared for how weird they behave and how creepy they look in low light".

I have absolutely seen my share of "Not Deer" and "Not Racoons" and a whole host of other "Not" animals late at night. The rational part of my brain knows it's just some critter that looks a bit spookier at dusk, but some small irrational part of my brain is like "Welp, I'm about to be eaten by a demon, this is how I'm going to die." Heck, I've gotten this feeling from my own cat in the dark when the light hits his eyes just right and they glow super bright (I have a black cat, so in the dark sometimes all you can see of him are glowing eyes) and I get hit with a feeling of seeing a "Not Cat" because my brain was just not prepared for how surreal cats look sometimes.

Seriously, this is such a great concept and I hope it catches on and becomes more widespread. Just a general feeling of "wrongness" when looking at an animal that you can't quite put into words.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I never heard of Not Deer, but I like that kind of rural/folksy cryptid idea a lot. It actually fits in weirdly well with the reoccurring nightmares I had as a kid after moving out into the country, that involved looking out of my window and seeing a deer just staring in at me. I've never been able to put a finger on why something that simple was so unsettling, but in retrospect it felt a lot like the Not Deer tales :tinfoil:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I would not be surprised to learn that most Not Deer were carriers of chronic wasting disease, a prion disease in deer and elk with a lot of neurological and behavioral effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Schwarzwald posted:

I would not be surprised to learn that most Not Deer were carriers of chronic wasting disease, a prion disease in deer and elk with a lot of neurological and behavioral effects.

Also known as (and I am not making this up) "zombie deer disease".

It's similar to Mad Cow disease, but replace "cow" with "deer".