Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Aphrodite posted:

Rtings gave it a 6.9 for HDR, primary reason for the score is contrast is low (since it's IPS.)

It's also pretty low for an IPS. At least among its competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Aphrodite posted:

HDR in monitors that size is usually just okay because they can't pull off the contrast needed, and you probably wouldn't want it that close to your face anyway.

The LG 27GL83A is in the sale. It's a a great monitor, pretty much the default pick in the thread here. Rtings gave it a 6.9 for HDR, primary reason for the score is contrast is low (since it's IPS.)

i ended up buyin this jawn and it seems pretty good. right now i am driving it from a crap integrated video card on a laptop so I can't take advantage of a lot of features

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I was shopping for a 34" ultrawide recently and looked at that Samsung, I do want to point out that it is a more extreme 1000R curvature versus 1500R and 1800R which are the other two usual curvatures you find in curved displays. 1500R is definitely the sweet spot for me.

The thing is, there are a bunch of 34" ultrawide VA panels, all of varying quality. I think Samsung's panels are good, the Monoprice Dark Matter I had used the Samsung LSM340YP05 panel I think, and I did love that display (I have qualms about Monoprice's customer support and the long term reliability of their monitors now, but I digress.)

The real difference comes in VA vs IPS for the ultrawide displays. The IPS is a bit more pricey, but some people swear by it because VA can be bad for smearing/ghosting. I certainly haven't noticed it on either of the VA ultrawide displays I've owned.

Yeah I read/watched a bunch of stuff about the Samsung G5 and it apparently has rather pronounced ghosting/trails under some conditions. I'm probably going to pass on that for the LG that everyone recommends.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Speaking of Samsung.

https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/1407228990037925890

4K144, HDMI 2.1, 28"
1440p165 (DP 1.2, wtf)
1080p144

Sounds like they feature something like HDMI-CEC branded as "Auto Source Switch+", too.

kliras fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 22, 2021

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

kliras posted:

Speaking of Samsung.

https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/1407228990037925890

4K144, HDMI 2.1, 28"
1440p165 (DP 1.2, wtf)
1080p144

Sounds like they feature something like HDMI-CEC branded as "Auto Source Switch+", too.

This caught my eye heavily but from the photos, it doesn't look like there are any Vesa mount options. Maybe I'm missing something.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

frytechnician posted:

This caught my eye heavily but from the photos, it doesn't look like there are any Vesa mount options. Maybe I'm missing something.
Probably a VESA adapter somewhere in their shop if it isn't outright supported.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

frytechnician posted:

The first image on Samsung's press release shows them mounted:

I'm sure they have vesa support.

E: and the specs say 100x100 mount support: https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1841/G28AG70

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Acer XZ342CK Pbmiiphx (wtf are with monitor model names) I just picked up to replace my other dying monitor only has a 100x100 mount, even the included stand screws right into the VESA mount. More monitors need to do it that way IMO, it was super easy to swap out the included stand with a proper monitor arm.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Protocol7 posted:

The Acer XZ342CK Pbmiiphx (wtf are with monitor model names) I just picked up to replace my other dying monitor only has a 100x100 mount, even the included stand screws right into the VESA mount. More monitors need to do it that way IMO, it was super easy to swap out the included stand with a proper monitor arm.

I read that model name as

The Acer XZ342CK

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kliras posted:

Speaking of Samsung.

4K144, HDMI 2.1, 28"
1440p165 (DP 1.2, wtf)
1080p144
How's their panels? If LG can't supply decent amounts of 4K HFR displays, maybe Samsung will do? It being an 28" panel makes me assume it'll be the same as in the Acer displays? Is that a good thing? I think it's from Innolux.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Samsung has long made VA panels that were very sluggish for gaming performance. Then they made the Odyssey line, based on panels that are extremely good performers despite being VA, however they have absurd curves. The answer for these IPS panels is who knows, but be hopeful.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Acer XZ342CK

I mean you ain't wrong :v:. If there's one consistent thing about the names of monitor models, it's that they're all consistently terrible. Seems like a decent budget ultrawide though!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Acer XZ342CK

The Acer Louis C.K.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What's a decent budget 27" monitor? Just for work and nothing else -- basically I work in two different places, one a lot less often than the other, but would like a monitor for the one I don't work in that often.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there were talks of 32" 4k 144hz screens coming out sometime in q2 this year (PG32UQ and something else), are they still a no-show?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Have a Dell S2716DGR. It's got some like, weird poo poo going on where I see some vapor-like ghostlyness crawling horizontally across the screen like some sort of subtle aurora borealis. I bought it in 2018 so it's still in warranty but if I RMA it to Dell then I have, uh, no monitor.

Purchased the LG LG 27GL83A from the Prime Day sale. Is going from Gamer TN Monitor to Gamer IPS Monitor really an upgrade or just throwing money away? I'm aware that the VRR range floor will now be 48FPS instead of 30. My understanding with my Dell was that it was a pretty bare bones monitor except for the Gsync module. Being able to plug the PS5 into it for some downscaled 4K is at least a pretty big plus.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 23, 2021

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Since the next financial year is coming around, I'm looking to get two monitors and a dual stand to have be set up for office work, but with monitors that are also good for gaming. My desk is right up against the wall making it bad for clamps/arm mounts, and it has an annoying vertical edge at the back; it goes pretty far down and seems to prevent the use of a clamp anyway unless I want to use some tools on my desk.

I have an idea already of what I want but would like some opinions if people can suggest something good or know if I can get better prices.
(Based in Australia)

I'm considering this stand which goes 24"-32" but their official website is kind of crappy and I can't really find any proper info about the product at all. https://aavara.com/V2/DeskStand.html. Youtube videos also seem to be really scarce when it comes to monitor stands, and even the ones titled 'best monitor stands' are all monitor arms clamped to desks.

Right now I have one 24" monitor which has been pretty good for a long time. The only outputs I use are HDMI for the PC and PS4, and the headphone jack. My graphics card is a Geforce GTX 1060 6GB which supports HDMI, Dual Link DVI and Display Port.

Panoramic shot makes it look a bit weird but it's pretty clear how much space one 24" monitor currently takes up. Right now it's sitting on a couple of phone books so vertical adjustment is a matter of making a bigger stack - being able to adjust the height and vertical tilt is a big part of why I want a monitor stand. I photoshopped it to see how much space it might take up now vs later. I think I can go as large as 27":

I'm considering these two monitors right now simply because 27" is the largest I'm willing to consider, and these are within a comfortable price range:
ASUS VG279Q
- $359.00AUD
- IPS, 144hz, adaptive sync, supports hdmi, dvi, display port, and according to official website it might come with hdmi and display port cables 'depending on region'?
- Obviously meant to be the more serious gaming option.

ASUS VL278H
- $239.00AUD
- TN, 75hz, has 2x HDMI port so no need to change existing cabling
- More than $100 cheaper which helps when buying 2, not sure if the 'eye care' features matter since things like colour temp can be managed with software.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are active optical cables that can do longer runs.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GMC7C91/

Not sure how well they’ll play with VRR though.

I got this and my OLED65CXPUA, everything is working pretty flawlessly. VRR, G-Sync, HDR, 120Hz, all the settings look good.

I do get a bit of screen tearing whenever the camera pans, mostly notable on old poo poo like yu-gi-oh on hulu, but I may need to play around in the settings to get rid of that. Rtings and oled_gaming have a huge list of possible tweaks, but if anybody else has had the same issue and knows a possible solution it'd be good to hear. On 4k content I don't think I've seen any tearing but it still feels like the camera panning creates small frame issues... but this could just be me not being used to OLED.

For gaming, no issues whatsoever. Shadow of war looks amazing on it, no tearing, smooth as butter. Rocket league looks great, makes me sick, probably should increase the FOV since it triggers my motion sickness bad.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You're probably seeing interlacing on old content, where only half the lines update per frame. There are "fixes" but honestly they look worse to me. Also make sure that any feature on the TV to upscale the framerate of content is disabled.

tildes posted:

What's a decent budget 27" monitor? Just for work and nothing else -- basically I work in two different places, one a lot less often than the other, but would like a monitor for the one I don't work in that often.

What resolution? 1080p imo makes little sense at 27" for most. 1440p is... ok, but the value isn't great on 60hz monitors. 4k is great value but maybe you don't want to spend $260 on a monitor you infrequently use.

Truga posted:

there were talks of 32" 4k 144hz screens coming out sometime in q2 this year (PG32UQ and something else), are they still a no-show?

Pretty much.

Craptacular! posted:

Have a Dell S2716DGR. It's got some like, weird poo poo going on where I see some vapor-like ghostlyness crawling horizontally across the screen like some sort of subtle aurora borealis. I bought it in 2018 so it's still in warranty but if I RMA it to Dell then I have, uh, no monitor.

Purchased the LG LG 27GL83A from the Prime Day sale. Is going from Gamer TN Monitor to Gamer IPS Monitor really an upgrade or just throwing money away? I'm aware that the VRR range floor will now be 48FPS instead of 30. My understanding with my Dell was that it was a pretty bare bones monitor except for the Gsync module. Being able to plug the PS5 into it for some downscaled 4K is at least a pretty big plus.

VRR floor is only relevant if max refresh is less than 2.5x min refresh, so in your case entirely irrelevant.

The TN panel used in that monitor is about as good as TN panels get. It's still not as good as IPS in overall image quality, but a lot of people find them tolerable.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I did some more testing and if I open up the hulu app then everything is fine, it's only jumpier on hulu through the pc.

Best I can tell is it's probably a setting related to truemotion or true cinema mode, everything changes constantly in the settings so that'll be fun to go through line by line and figure out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I mean, I'm all for blue light filters, but what the hell is going on here?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Perhaps the website is hosted in Mexico.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I won the newegg shuffle RNG game and the GPU is coming with a AORUS FI27Q 27" 165Hz 1440P monitor. I already have an LG 27GL83A-B 27, and only enough space on my desk for one 27" monitor.

Is the FI27Q much better than the 27GL83A, other than the faster refresh rate?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

FI27Q has better contrast, worse response times, BGR subpixel layout. It's kind of a wash depending on what you prioritize.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
May as well sell the FI27Q when it shows up so you can get new-in-box price for it. Unless you really want the faster refresh rate.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

K8.0 posted:

You're probably seeing interlacing on old content, where only half the lines update per frame. There are "fixes" but honestly they look worse to me. Also make sure that any feature on the TV to upscale the framerate of content is disabled.

What resolution? 1080p imo makes little sense at 27" for most. 1440p is... ok, but the value isn't great on 60hz monitors. 4k is great value but maybe you don't want to spend $260 on a monitor you infrequently use.

I was imagining a 1440p probably, but didn't realize 4k was better value. Is there a particular sweetspot for a value monitor for work? I'd rather not go smaller than 27" but if that's where the ideal size is I could roll with it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

60hz IPS monitors at 1080p, 1440p, and 4k are all very generic. Tons of them on Amazon. The panels are all from the same few manufacturers, the price differences are mostly features/build quality/QA/support. You can get 1440p 27" starting at $170ish, and 4k 27" starting around $260. I tend to view the 4k monitors as a better deal because for as long as it lasts it will be at the very least a solid secondary monitor. The 4k monitors are easy to find by searching 4k IPS on Amazon. Searching 1440p IPS will require you to add 60 and 75hz monitors to filter out the hordes of 1440p 144hz+ gaming monitors in that segment. For your goals of a sometimes-used work monitor I would go with the cheapest thing that has the features you want and solid reviews.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The 32" 4K HDMI2.1 Gigabyte FI32U looks neat but apparently the USB-C port doesn't support alt-display which kills my interest in it

The latest wave of HDMI2.1 monitors all seem to be missing one feature or another that makes them a hard buy

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
OK thread, I'm looking to potentially buy another monitor this year and use my 32" Dell Ultrasharp as a secondary one. I'm a video editor and I also enjoy games a lot so something that has decent colour accuracy is good for me.

There are two games that I will most likely be sinking a lot of free time into when they come out. One is Battlefield and the other is Elden Ring. I have a 3080 and a 5900X so I'm pretty decked out for graphical / processing horsepower.

So my question is, given the same choice would you rather go for a UHD monitor at 144Hz or would you go for a 1440p one at 240Hz? If anyone's curious, the two which have caught my eye so far are the LG27GN950 and the Alienware AW2721D although this isn't set in stone and I'm open to to all monitor suggestions. The only thing I won't budge on is curved screens. Don't like 'em and never will.

I won't actually be buying anything until October at the earliest but would be interested in getting this threads take.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Alright y'all. I think a problem I'm having is based more around my monitor and what it is or isn't doing than anything else -- so I'm here trying to understand things.

I have a 4K LG monitor, the 27GN950-B. I also have my Switch plugged into it via HDMI, one capable of 4K@60. I recently bought an mClassic, a device meant to upscale the Switch's 1080p to 1440p and do some nice scaling, anti-aliasing stuff etc to get a cleaner picture. I get a slightly cleaner picture...but no 1440p. No way no how. Here's DigitalFoundry's video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NhX9-_KE0

Based off this video alone, I'm not entirely sure what the problem could potentially be. It states I won't get 4K, but I should be able to get 1440p fine -- but I don't.

Here, the creator of the mClassic talks about how enabling 1440p should work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUL1TM8Do-M

and another of him using a "hacked" one that enables forcing 1440p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkcTnVSz0D4

In the video, he shows that forcing 1440p through magically works on the LG TV, so at least the same brand as my monitor, but in other places, the main reason people get stuck at 1080p (like I am, that's what my problem is) is because their TVs don't support 1440p at all unless it's forced -- but my monitor very much does support 1440p (unless there's something else at play when I set any of my devices etc to 1440p and it just...works).

I did find a post on ResetEra where a guy explains...a lot of things. None of them really made sense in my head, but he's mostly talking about TV screens, so I can't necessarily imagine why I'd be having this problem on a PC monitor that does indeed support 1440p.

Sorry to dump this longpost of info, but I'm just stumped. The mClassic is made in a way where there's nothing on it or about it that I can edit to fix this, so I pretty much know the way it is now won't work. But is there a device, a plug in, some sort of adapter, that I could get that would at least carry the weight in making the device work with my monitor to output 1440p?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't upscaling directly from 1080p to 4k provide cleaner results than 1080p>1440p>4k?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Have you tried connecting the monitor to your PC over HDMI and setting it to 1440p, to confirm it accepts that?

1440p isn't a standard HDMI mode so some display controllers won't accept it, even if the same device does accept 1440p over DisplayPort

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MonkeyFit posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't upscaling directly from 1080p to 4k provide cleaner results than 1080p>1440p>4k?

This I do not know. At this point, I’m just confused why it’s not working the way it “should”

repiv posted:

Have you tried connecting the monitor to your PC over HDMI and setting it to 1440p, to confirm it accepts that?

1440p isn't a standard HDMI mode so some display controllers won't accept it, even if the same device does accept 1440p over DisplayPort

Yeah, I get 1440p over HDMI when testing my PC and then I have my MiSTer (gaming thing) set to output 1440p at 4:3, but I think those options are technically “forcing” it out since they’re display options whereas the mClassic has no options to actually set the desired resolution.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah it sounds like you've run into the problem described in that ResetEra thread - the monitor accepts 1440p over HDMI, but doesn't broadcast that it supports 1440p to connected devices, which the mCable takes as gospel and drops back to 1080p with no option to ignore the EDID and output 1440p anyway.

The only solution I can think of is putting some kind of device between the mCable and monitor to spoof the EDID data, but I don't know if there's anything cheap which can do that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.amazon.com/Passthrough-Generrtion-Headlesskeep-Extenders-3840x2160/dp/B08RCKLY8Y

This might work? The description says the spoofed EDID data includes 2560x1440@60Hz, so in theory the mCable should see that and switch to 1440p mode

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 27, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Thanks, that's what I was suspecting. It's funny -- at leas to me -- upgrading my monitor has this one very specific, niche drawback while everything else is vastly improved.

I've ordered that EDID emulator, should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes things and if not, Amazon has a decent return policy. Thanks!

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I'm looking for a 34" widescreen for development work. I had a Dell U3419W but can't seem to find it anymore. It was a bit pricey, I got it for $450 new via massive deals deals deals.

Any reccos?

34" Widescreen
USB-C hub

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Sooo, I'd like to upgrade my monitor and I'm looking for a 1440, 21x9 monitor with 144hz or better refresh. Any suggestions? The slots seem to be wide open on these things in terms of price range, but the mid range seems to be about $700? Primary use will be for gaming, but I don't do anything crazy and play a lot more open world/single player stuff than competitive shooters.

Not sure about size, but I'm leaning toward ~34 inches or so. This will be replacing an Asus VG248 which was expensive back when I bought it. Having gone through a lifetime of cheap monitors I was a good bit happier with the VG248 than my previous 'what's on sale' purchases. I'm in the eastern USA if that helps.

Edit:

Think I'm down to a 1/2/3 series of choices:

*Lenovo G34W-10 -- Budget option...seems to work well but people have dead pixels?
*LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 -- Middle of the road option. Seems to compare very similarly to...
*LG 38GL950G-B 38 inch 21:9 -- Expensive option! The only real difference I see to the one above is the extra real estate/different marketing gobletyguk

Gameko fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 28, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Gameko posted:

Sooo, I'd like to upgrade my monitor and I'm looking for a 1440, 21x9 monitor with 144hz or better refresh. Any suggestions? The slots seem to be wide open on these things in terms of price range, but the mid range seems to be about $700? Primary use will be for gaming, but I don't do anything crazy and play a lot more open world/single player stuff than competitive shooters.

Not sure about size, but I'm leaning toward ~34 inches or so. This will be replacing an Asus VG248 which was expensive back when I bought it. Having gone through a lifetime of cheap monitors I was a good bit happier with the VG248 than my previous 'what's on sale' purchases. I'm in the eastern USA if that helps.

Edit:

*Lenovo G34W-10 -- Budget option...seems to work well but people have dead pixels?
*LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 -- Middle of the road option. Seems to compare very similarly to...
*LG 38GL950G-B 38 inch 21:9 -- Expensive option! The only real difference I see to the one above is the extra real estate/different marketing gobletyguk
I bought the 34GP83A-B last Thanksgiving and have been nothing but pleased with it. The 38 looked nice but I don't have enough room on my desk for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gameko posted:

Edit:

I bought the 38 a while back and while I think the size is perfect for an ultrawide, I had a stuck pixel right smack in the middle of the panel that was distracting enough to make me send it back for a refund. Judging by the reviews in a few places, it seems like you're basically playing the panel lottery so buy at your own risk.

I'm currently rocking an Acer 34'' and my only issue is that the edges are a bit dark at my current (pretty standard) sitting distance, something easily rectified by simply getting a curved panel lol