Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

zedprime posted:

It's really hard to do the right thing after an interview because the FOMO can be intense on someone who meets job requirements but wasn't a shining saint. My corporate overlords try to keep our reputation up in that area so if we are in like week 3 of a 6 week hiring program for entry level positions and we're being assholes keeping someone on the hook from week 1 because they were good but not amazing, HR will kick our rear end to decide then instead of at the end.

I entirely believe you can't keep that up without HR being robots about it to knock you out of your emotional FOMO short circuit so I guess that's one thing maybe they are good for.

It would be great if everyone weren't trying to staff every position with the absolute best possible candidate. Just put whoever in there if they're competent. Whatever. Very few of us do anything that's actual crucially important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It would be great if everyone weren't trying to staff every position with the absolute best possible candidate. Just put whoever in there if they're competent. Whatever. Very few of us do anything that's actual crucially important.
Get ready for this poo poo to happen then.

Boss: Why is your team taking longer to complete tasks after experiencing 80% turnover?

Me: New Hires aren't as good as incumbent employees at working, what do you mean?

Boss: NO EXCUSES, GET CONTROL OF YOUR TEAM!

So I left that company and went to work for their customer.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Boss: Why is your team taking longer to complete tasks after experiencing 80% turnover?

Me: New Hires aren't as good as incumbent employees at working, what do you mean?

I was just going to respond as well. At almost every job I have worked, the management has piled on so much extra work, there would be no way to hire one person who could do it all. Simply too many skills, and different hats. My last job as I was finally quitting because it had gotten to be too much. Extra work, longer hours, cuts in pay and then in position. They literally laid off the entire team but me through COVID. When I told the CIO, he told me they were going to hire two people to replace me... and he was dead serious. Thanks, fucker!

This is what doing more with less looks like. Nobody is good enough.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A buddy switching jobs had to sit through six interviews. He got the job and likes his team but that seems like three too many.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
We had our first team meeting after the whole "okay everyone's going back to work in the office full time in September."

Me during our round table: "Hey team! Our competitor is hiring 3 positions in our role! Full time WFH, i'll send the link after the meeting"

*angry email from management 2 minutes after meeting ends*

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

runchild posted:

Worst one came from a company where the hiring person happened to be a former classmate. She spent half the interview complementing my work back in college, said she’d get back to me in a few days, and then I never heard from her again.

The job I actually got, they ended the interview by promising they would let me know in a timely manner regardless of whether or not I was moving on to the next step. I was really impressed by that, which is a little sad tbh. Everybody else set the bar so low.

I can actually top this. I took a day off work to come in and do a "super day" for one company. This is where three or so people will interview you for either a single job or multiple positions. Basically speed dating for a job where you have a table and then managers come to you and you do an hourlong interview with each of them. I was told by my prospective boss that I was only there to meet the quota for number of people interviewed and that I had too much experience and would cost them too much if they hired me.

I then took ANOTHER day off for another one of these for a different group and was told directly that I should be running the team with my experience.

Then a few months later I came in for a third interview where two of the three interviewers didn't even show up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A buddy switching jobs had to sit through six interviews. He got the job and likes his team but that seems like three too many.
Depends what you're calling interviews. A lot of non-events get called an interview: the 10 minute phone screener, the team fit visit, an interview experience review.

If he sat down through 6 30-60 minute interrogations by 6 different parties that's probably too much for something that isn't a director or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did a phone interview with a company and they never called me back, fine whatever.

8 months later they tried to schedule the next steps

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

runchild posted:

Worst one came from a company where the hiring person happened to be a former classmate. She spent half the interview complementing my work back in college, said she’d get back to me in a few days, and then I never heard from her again.

I've communicated with many recruiters through LinkedIn over the years, and the ones that ghost me are the ones fresh out of college and have no sense of professionalism or experience. If a recruiter reaches out and they've been out of college for less than a year, ignore them.

Barudak posted:

8 months later they tried to schedule the next steps

You dodged a bullet.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

My MegaCorp's internal interview process seems random. Some teams schedule interviews with relevant skill tests and email updates if not hired. Others send mail to your house a month later telling you they think you are bad at interviews. Another never responds and leaves the position open forever.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Dark Mage posted:

I've communicated with many recruiters through LinkedIn over the years, and the ones that ghost me are the ones fresh out of college and have no sense of professionalism or experience. If a recruiter reaches out and they've been out of college for less than a year, ignore them.

To clarify, college was a decade ago and recruiting wasn’t her primary job. She was just in charge of hiring because she was the most knowledgeable about the position. I’ve gotten plenty of runaround from professional recruiters, though.

I also forgot that the moment I became sure I didn’t get the position (and it wasn’t just a delayed response) was when I saw it reposted on job boards. That stings :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A company I worked for had a 12 month resume hang on policy. We had a person join and quit with juuuuuuuuuuust enough time that HR squeezed in and got the runner up on the phone and taking the job with 3 days to spare.

Literally walked in to see HR hi-fiving each other and cheering like they won the big game.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

So serious question -- how widespread does everyone think this level of mismanagement really is spread? Knowing that new hires take awhile to learn the ropes, that high turnover means massive knowledge loss, this is all basic management stuff, right? RIght?!

In every management video game I've ever played, there has never been an "NO EXCUSES!" option. Is there really that much distribution of stupid in the world?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

runchild posted:

ghost candidates after a goddam interview.

I got this, but worse, early in my carreer: I got asked after a good interview to send a mail with what I considered a decent compensation package and then... nothing for 10 days. I had to call to be told they found "someone better" right after they interviewed me.

Everytime I meet the guy who manages that company (which is once or twice a year on trade shows and poo poo) and was the one who never got back to me, I greet him with "Hey firstname, go gently caress yourself". It has been 10+ years. I have explained to dozens of people in my field how lovely that company is. I have blacklisted them as a supplier at my current job. They are losing 100.000k+ a year. I will die on this hill and carry the grudge to my grave.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Another team had an opening so I applied, toxic coworker in my dept who on paper is our most experienced employee also applied and got it. Bummer but at least this meant we could finally replace someone who did very little besides start bitter feuds with other teams.

Unfortunately our hiring process was so slow that the handful of great candidates we got moved on to other opportunities as our management couldn't make a decision, and the other team had real management that expected work and didn't let the coworker online shop all day, so after a few months the other team was happy to approve them transferring back to our team so we were back to where we started. Except the other team now thinks we're all a do-nothing dept so I can't get an interview when the job was reposted, yay.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Hyrax Attack! posted:

toxic coworker in my dept who on paper is our most experienced employee also applied and got it.

Failing up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've been looking for work for the past five months and i don't know how many more marketing/advertising/finance postings i can take before i put my head through my monitor. none of these companies seem to do anything

meanwhile i'm a generic paper-pusher whose technical expertise is in an industry that barely exists (textile QA) so i can't stand out anyplace. got two interviews last week and was ghosted by both of them

at least i've got another month or so of UI

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Oxxidation posted:

i've been looking for work for the past five months and i don't know how many more marketing/advertising/finance postings i can take before i put my head through my monitor. none of these companies seem to do anything

meanwhile i'm a generic paper-pusher whose technical expertise is in an industry that barely exists (textile QA) so i can't stand out anyplace. got two interviews last week and was ghosted by both of them

If you're in QA you know enough statistics to be a shoe in at a job that doesn't do anything.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The place I work for interviews a candidate all day long in separate interviews.
A typical agenda will be something like meet & greet with manager, tech interview 1 with this team, tech interview 2 with another team, tech interview 3 with yet another team, manager takes candidate to lunch, back for another 2-3 tech interviews, then a concluding interview with HR.

*I guess the lunch part hasn't been a thing the past 18 months.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Lemme tell you about a town called Dalton, GA

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think my worst recruiting experience was one recruiter calling me at like 4pm on a Sunday when I was at my parents' pressuring me to have their stupid take-home test done by Monday, and this was after I told them that I wasn't available to take the test over the weekend.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Oxxidation posted:

Jesus gently caress I feel you on this one. I had about a five month gap in 2019 too and had almost the exact same reaction as you. I've mostly only worked in social services where the pay is poo poo and when I get frustrated with work those empty calorie jobs look mighty tempting. Keep plugging away man, that search is super demoralizing.

Oh also we've been back at the office for less than a week and someone (7+ year veteran, our most experienced staff on the team) already quit, citing the commute. One of the other managers and I directly appealed to the top boss a couple weeks ago saying we had universal feedback from our teams that absolutely no one wanted to return to the office. We got immediately shut down hard and the bosses primary excuse was that we needed to end WFH because it was causing too much turnover.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's basically the logic of every WW1 general who argued, "We need to make THIS assault so we can end the war because too many of our boys are dying in these attacks."

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Spatule posted:

I got this, but worse, early in my carreer: I got asked after a good interview to send a mail with what I considered a decent compensation package and then... nothing for 10 days. I had to call to be told they found "someone better" right after they interviewed me.

Everytime I meet the guy who manages that company (which is once or twice a year on trade shows and poo poo) and was the one who never got back to me, I greet him with "Hey firstname, go gently caress yourself". It has been 10+ years. I have explained to dozens of people in my field how lovely that company is. I have blacklisted them as a supplier at my current job. They are losing 100.000k+ a year. I will die on this hill and carry the grudge to my grave.

lol nice, right out of college I had an interview scheduled with a company and the day before it they called me saying "we scheduled you by accident, don't come in" Now I work for the institution they and like 3 identical competitors supply stuff to. I haven't had the opportunity to completely screw them over yet but it almost inevitable I will someday.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I trimmed my pto because my machines haven't seen maintenance techs from Matsushita in 2 years cuz covid.

They seriously thought they were going to run both lines this week :lol:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Smik posted:

Is there really that much distribution of stupid in the world?
Yes. On one level it's kind of amazing because you can't believe it.

Unfortunately, in my experience, this type of manager usually comes in after a legitimately good manager or some kind of company success that they played no role in, of course. So they have a much longer longevity than would seem reasonable by any standard.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My employer is bringing in a global safety glasses policy, basically if you're anywhere on site other than an office/canteen, you gotta have them on. There's going to be tons of situations where people have to put them on for five steps through a corridor or to go to the bathroom. Oh well at least the mask policy got us ready for having PPE on constantly, I guess?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah people in my company have those too and they just ignore it in common sense poo poo like walking from cubicle to cubicle in the office space of our branch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I wouldn’t go after someone for it for small stuff but it makes enforcement of PPE standards way easier. People suck at wearing safety glasses and eye injuries that could have been prevented by them are super common.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I work at a machine shop and our company says normal corrective eye glasses count as eye protection. I am not entirely convinced because I took a droplet of coolant in the eye today while air gunning the chuck in between parts. That could have easily been a metal chip. I think I am going to invest in some wraparound goggles for days that I’m not wearing contacts/real safety glasses.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gonna depend on the size of your frames at least.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah they’re Buddy Holly type glasses so they don’t come anywhere close to protecting top/bottom/sides.

E: Looking at an image search, they cover even less than the ones on the first page.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

manpurse posted:

We had our first team meeting after the whole "okay everyone's going back to work in the office full time in September."

Me during our round table: "Hey team! Our competitor is hiring 3 positions in our role! Full time WFH, i'll send the link after the meeting"

What are they gonna do? Fire you? Get hosed, idiots!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I work at a machine shop and our company says normal corrective eye glasses count as eye protection. I am not entirely convinced because I took a droplet of coolant in the eye today while air gunning the chuck in between parts. That could have easily been a metal chip. I think I am going to invest in some wraparound goggles for days that I’m not wearing contacts/real safety glasses.

You can get prescription safety specs, and depending on where you work, your employer might pay for them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Get the foam padded ones (“spoggles” or “hybrids”). They’re a bit on the warm side but you won’t get anything in your eyes. Nothing like having to get metal drilled out of your eyeball!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I wouldn’t go after someone for it for small stuff but it makes enforcement of PPE standards way easier. People suck at wearing safety glasses and eye injuries that could have been prevented by them are super common.

It will 100% be all the managers ignoring it as they go from meeting to meeting but a convenient excuse for disciplining regular staff they catch out

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

manpurse posted:

Incredible. Post the angry emails.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Not the best option but a cheap option is semi disposable side shields that clip onto your regular glasses. Only really recommended if your regular specs are hard plastic (not glass) and bug enough to give you decent top/bottom protection.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Smik posted:

Is there really that much distribution of stupid in the world?

The first law of stupidity states:

"Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation."

You can read the rest here: Laws of Stupidity

And as far as interviews go, the job I am currently working had me do 8 different calls with around 17 people total but I forgive them because it's been a really nice company to work for so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Incredible. Post the angry emails.

seconding this

the attrition in my department is THIRTY-FIVE PERCENT so far this year and corporate is talking about getting everybody back in the office

Tell me, Mr CEO, what good is a project roadmap when you cannot develop?