Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Chef's Press which Kenji and Serious Eats keep going on about looks excellent. I really want some. However I'm based in the UK and there does not seem to be any option to get them here other than to pay far more in shipping than I would for the items themselves.

Does anyone know of anything equivalent which is more widely available? I've got an aluminium 'steak weight' which has a wooden handle and kind of stands in, however the stackability and flexibility of the Chef's Presses look much more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I think the consensus was “brick of your chosen weight wrapped in tinfoil” last time it got brought up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i got one of these a while back for about $5 and it works fine

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

1redflag posted:

I think the consensus was “brick of your chosen weight wrapped in tinfoil” last time it got brought up

yeah. the chef press is gimmicky stuff based on invented logic. like, look at the about page

quote:

The Chef’s Press was born out of true necessity in the tiny kitchen of Bix Restaurant down a secret alley in San Francisco, where Chef Bruce Hill was at the helm of the stoves. In a small kitchen like that, every second counts. The old cast iron bacon presses used by his cooks trapped steam and were too heavy for many dishes. In 2004, Chef Hill created The Chef’s Press – a weight adjustable tool that allows food to cook 20-30% faster, and is vented to release moisture, yielding better results with greater ease.

i'm pretty sure trapping steam would make a dish cook faster, especially for something like bacon. i think just about the only thing that it might be a concern on is chicken skin, but chicken under a brick doesn't cook with the brick touching the skin. likewise i don't know what the presses would be too heavy for. kenji and the inventors have both posted videos of them using it on a grilled cheese but like... man if you need specialty equipment for a grilled cheese, something's going wrong.

the adjustable length seems kinda nice but you can just get different sized/shaped weights for half the price (plus i don't like how the things actually stack when using it lengthwise - it looks like its making a sawtooth shape instead of something flat)

idk, get it if you want. lord knows i've blown more money on dumber stuff than this. its not like its super pricey unless you're getting a bunch of them and whatever you'd pay in shipping

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I’ve got a flat sided lodge one that works just fine, was about $30 CDN

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Modernist pantry is giving away a free Pacojet Junior, worth $4000 new

Name and email to join the raffle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n6TpBD4Qn4Q&feature=youtu.be

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

How quickly can it liquefy a mouse?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thermoworks is making a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT at 8AM MT tomorrow. Presumably it is about whatever will succeed the Thermapen Mk4.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thermapen Mark V

Now comes in metallic colors
An HD color screen
Monthly financing plan

mystes
May 31, 2006

So fast it tells you the temperature before you insert it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thermoworks is making a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT at 8AM MT tomorrow. Presumably it is about whatever will succeed the Thermapen Mk4.

I really want it to be like an iPhone announcement.

mystes
May 31, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I really want it to be like an iPhone announcement.
50% thinner but the probe is wireless only and sold separately.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Steve Yun posted:

Modernist pantry is giving away a free Pacojet Junior, worth $4000 new

Name and email to join the raffle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n6TpBD4Qn4Q&feature=youtu.be

what in the good gently caress is this thing for

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think pacojets can make sorbet by shaving stuff that's frozen solid (ideally flash frozen but whatever).

I guess you can make weird stuff and it's fluffy without having to whip air in while freezing it, so it's more flexible than traditional ice cream makers or something.

I assume it works with lower fat content/sugar content too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 24, 2021

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

It’s one of those tools that is awesome because it can do things that nothing else can, but still has limited use because how many applications are there for that specific job? If it was a few hundred bucks I’m sure there would be tons of people experimenting with frozen savory dishes and poo poo but that price has to be tough for even a medium sized restaurant to justify.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They are pretty much required equipment in any fine dining restaurant. It's kind of a cheat to being able to make ice creams/sorbets that are easy to portion out without having to reformulate each recipe.

You're supposed to be able to just pour a base liquid and freeze it solid into the container and be able to process it. Every place I ever used one we would still spin whatever ice cream or sorbet in the regular ice cream machine first then process it in the paco-jet before service as needed.

Cleaning them is a huge pain and not cleaning them can lead to them getting broken to the point of having to be mailed off for service.

One of the first things I do if I start at a new place with a paco-jet is to figure out where the cleaning attatchments got buried in the kitchen and give it a good deep clean. It's always gross what comes out of them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Discussion Quorum posted:

:siren: Thermapen ONE is now available for preorder! :siren:

Reads in one second or less with more accuracy than the Mk4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

WHAT

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
incredible, i never thought id see the day...

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat I never felt like I needed the slightly faster speeds from thermapens enough to justify the price tag but 1 second is actually enough faster that it would be a pretty big difference.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The battery in my mk3 just died and the battery door is refusing to open…

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean I could then test every meatball for optimum doneness instead of just a representative sample, so that's nice

Still going to use my janky $25 one until it dies though

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

That's cool I guess but I've never felt the need for a faster thermometer than the mk4. Nice for folks who are buying a new one anyway, but I'll keep using my mk4 until it dies.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
What the gently caress kind of ninja cooking poo poo are y'all doing where you need that? I'm gonna stick to my Thermapen from 2008? 2009? Something like that. It's not waterproof but it's amazing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a classic thermapen I now use to check the temp of the water I run for my kid's bath, since I got a Mk 4 thanks to the backlit auto-rotating screen. Thermapen One sounds cool but it's probably more than anyone who already has a thermapen needs. Maybe one day.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Lmao they named the fifth Thermapen the XboxOneThermapenOne

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

2 therma 2 pen
Thermapen 3 calibration drift
Therma 7
Pen 15

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Lmao

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
No USB-C quick charging, what is this the 2010s?

Arcsech posted:

That's cool I guess but I've never felt the need for a faster thermometer than the mk4. Nice for folks who are buying a new one anyway, but I'll keep using my mk4 until it dies.

Yeah same, if my Mk4 died today I'd buy another one off clearance. If those were gone I'd just buy a Classic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd join this club

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
With the thermapen redesign opportunity they STILL dont have magnets in the back?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
How else are they going to upsell you on the silicone case?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

teraflame posted:

With the thermapen redesign opportunity they STILL dont have magnets in the back?

how do they work?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Can't tell if thermapen chat is genuine or sarcastic but now I have to look them up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PageMaster posted:

Can't tell if thermapen chat is genuine or sarcastic but now I have to look them up.

They're pretty much the gold standard of kitchen thermometers. The new one is even faster which doesn't seem necessary because the old one were drat fast anyway. Still, I'm sad when I use mine now and have to waste 1 or 2 seconds waiting for it to finish its read that I could spend doing other stuff if I had the new one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PageMaster posted:

They're real. They're actually a game changer imo, I gave one to all my family members and they all love it.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I am looking for some steamer baskets for pots, but it has to be the small triangular ones? Where you can have 3 or so in the same pot. Anybody know what to look for?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I give thermoworks stuff as gifts to family all the time. Anyone with a passing interest in home cooking can use at the very least a probe thermometer. I’d venture to say it’s the single best piece of equipment to buy to improve your food (particularly if you cook meat).

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

Ok but does it finally have a magnet so I can stick it on my fridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

horchata posted:

Ok but does it finally have a magnet so I can stick it on my fridge?

Nope, gotta buy the $13 sleeve for that.