Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Basically Assassin's Creed but worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kuiperdolin posted:

Basically Assassin's Creed but way better.

Agreed

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
ugh, few things interest me less than pvp poo poo

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Gratuitous wall-running and gunplay....

It's Titanfall without falling titans basically.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Titanfall but with horror magic sounds dope as gently caress.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it's not vb2 but if it's a fun pretty vamp themed parkour game then I'm down with that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
This might be the game that finally gets me to play a BR

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

We have fun visual novel style RPGs and maybe a fun brainless action game.

Perhaps the two shall never meet again.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Inzombiac posted:

Titanfall but with horror magic sounds dope as gently caress.

yeah, i was going to say!

a battle royale with cool traversal and vampire magic on good maps with lots of vertical stuff sounds decent as a concept at least, and the gameplay looked alright.

will it be free to play?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Seems like a nightmare to play on console as the speed and verticality seems really, really fast.

But on PC this should be fun as gently caress.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah I think it is f2p.

Dec 30, 2008
As someone who is both interested in the WoD setting and plays a lot of BR games, I feel like I am part of the incredibly small pool of people this game was made for and I have basically zero interest in it. I might give it a go when it comes out, assuming it's f2p (which it kind of needs to be). I really don't know why this exists, everything about it seems like a bad idea. A new BR game in a saturated market, with the only selling point being ties to a franchise whose fans are mostly TTRPG players - not really the market for competitive shooters.

From the small amount of gameplay we've seen, the game it most reminds me of is Hyper Scape - Ubisoft's attempt at a BR game which came and went in the space of about a week. It appears to have the same sort of cluttered city block environments that Hyper Scape did, and similar player mobility that allows for fights on rooftops etc. The problem Hyper Scape faced was that this combination of cluttered environments with a lot of verticality and high player mobility resulted in combat often turning into a frustrating game of cat and mouse where as soon as they were losing players would just run away and use the buildings as cover to hide in and around. I could see this game easily having the same problem, where all the vampire abilities give players too much mobility and healing/damage mitigation, and time to kill just becomes frustratingly high. You already see a bit of this in the gameplay they've shown - there's a lot of chasing people down and escaping on to roof tops going on. You could mitigate this by making time to kill really low, but then the problem you run into is that players will use the game's third person perspective to safely scout out where other players are and then kill them before they can react.

Basically balancing this game will probably be a nightmare and the likelihood that it'll be good on release is pretty low, which is also the only time anyone will play it. So good luck to them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Run 3, Camarilla aligned Toreador that lowered her generation and then flew off away from from the sunset with the Prince.

It's ridiculous how much more powerful she became than my other two runs, you can break this loving game over your knee once you know what you're doing. The Int, Stamina, and Resolve all were side effects from end plot, I didn't dump much at all into them during most of the playthrough, Charisma was her highest stat like a good Toreador.

Time for Run 4, gonna get the DLCs. What clan? Already did Banu Haqim (died at the end), Gangrel (saved himself and fled to California with his ghoul bro), and now the Toreador. Think I'll side with the Anarchs this time, which kinda lends itself to Banu Haqim again just from a story theme, but I dunno. Thinking maybe Lasombra since I've never tried Potence or Dominate, so why not.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Hizawk posted:

Seems like a nightmare to play on console as the speed and verticality seems really, really fast.

But on PC this should be fun as gently caress.

I feel the same way about this.

Verticality is a bitch even by PC standards, it's's why Overwatch typically only has two-floors in their level design. It's also why Titanfall has such a high skill ceiling.

Console players are going to need some strong auto-aim to compensate and probably different mechanics for the game to be playable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bloodhunt certainly does not seem like the game I was hoping for.

I'd heard the map was open and semi-persistent where you spawn in an instance of Elysium (a safe zone) where you get missions from you sire/clan leader. You'd then go and do those missions in the city while trying to keep the Masquerade going. The PVP was only really on when someone messed up enough to get a Bloodhunt called on them.

Looks like that's not the case at all and it's structured much more like a traditional BR.
It kinda sucks because some of the most fun I've ever had was in APB when you'd get 5-Star notoriety and the whole server comes crashing down on you in abject mayhem.

Oh well, maybe that magic is gone forever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fuzz posted:

Run 3, Camarilla aligned Toreador that lowered her generation and then flew off away from from the sunset with the Prince.

It's ridiculous how much more powerful she became than my other two runs, you can break this loving game over your knee once you know what you're doing. The Int, Stamina, and Resolve all were side effects from end plot, I didn't dump much at all into them during most of the playthrough, Charisma was her highest stat like a good Toreador.

Time for Run 4, gonna get the DLCs. What clan? Already did Banu Haqim (died at the end), Gangrel (saved himself and fled to California with his ghoul bro), and now the Toreador. Think I'll side with the Anarchs this time, which kinda lends itself to Banu Haqim again just from a story theme, but I dunno. Thinking maybe Lasombra since I've never tried Potence or Dominate, so why not.

Any generalized tips for getting Mad Stats?

Inzombiac posted:

I'd heard the map was open and semi-persistent where you spawn in an instance of Elysium (a safe zone) where you get missions from you sire/clan leader. You'd then go and do those missions in the city while trying to keep the Masquerade going. The PVP was only really on when someone messed up enough to get a Bloodhunt called on them.

Looks like that's not the case at all and it's structured much more like a traditional BR.
It kinda sucks because some of the most fun I've ever had was in APB when you'd get 5-Star notoriety and the whole server comes crashing down on you in abject mayhem.

This is what people get for listening to loons like Archonex raving about the game that might have been instead of the game it has transparently advertised itself to be. :shepface:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Inzombiac posted:

We have fun visual novel style RPGs and maybe a fun brainless action game.

Perhaps the two shall never meet again.

Honestly, I replayed Bloodlines earlier in the year and I think it would have been a better game without the action elements. Stealth sucks, gunfeel is the worst I've ever seen from a commercial game and melee combat is awkward as hell.

I do think it gains a lot from being a FPS in terms of immersion, atmosphere, exploration and just looking at the very emotive faces characters have, but I feel the gameplay is trash and easily the worst of the classic "immersive sims".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agreed. I replay it every year or so and the combat is something to get through so you can do more fun conversations and exploring.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

ZearothK posted:

Honestly, I replayed Bloodlines earlier in the year and I think it would have been a better game without the action elements. Stealth sucks, gunfeel is the worst I've ever seen from a commercial game and melee combat is awkward as hell.

I do think it gains a lot from being a FPS in terms of immersion, atmosphere, exploration and just looking at the very emotive faces characters have, but I feel the gameplay is trash and easily the worst of the classic "immersive sims".

No denying that Bloodlines has eurojank-levels of combat, Warform is easily the worst upgrade of all time.
But Obfuscate makes the base game's combat super easy, it's only the +Patch that makes the sewers.... sewercidal.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Any generalized tips for getting Mad Stats?

For the flashbacks, never pick the middle option, always go with an extreme so you get a Conviction, then always play that Conviction. The other thing is that the game seems to favor skill rolls instead of Disciplines, and you get more exp for actually having skills and making rolls instead of just "I win"ning it with a discipline. That said, my first character died when I tried to use a Discipline for an encounter and I was already at low health, and just insa-died (slightly unexpectedly, but I should have healed).

I got the big DLC and have been doing a Lasombra run today but it's... weird. I dunno if the difficulty is jacked up suddenly or it's bugged or what, but I'm in the first half of the game and like, stuff I should be able to layup that aren't fake out choices that you can never win (there's a couple of these) I am completely failing on. Like, stuff where my die pool is 5 and it's the second mission and I've even done that choice before with another character and this time it fails inexplicably, and not related to technology or stuff. It's almost like the Clan itself is glitching the game. :tinfoil:

... it'd actually be hilarious if the game randomly glitches on purpose with the Lasombra... but yeah, it's annoying. Was doing the package drop off on the plane bit and not only did I fail with a die pool of 6 (which is a lot in the first half of the game), my car got totaled despite me boosting its Durability to 2 (and it not actually seeming to gain any health levels) and it was pristine prior... like it just instantly was totaled.

EDIT: Okay yeah, I'm on the third mission now and have 2 in a discipline in a combat encounter (basically as high as you can get it at this point) and have beaten this encounter handily with lower level other disciplines with other characters. Just did it with Lasombra boy and used Oblivion and I just got half my face melted off.

This game totally fucks you if you're Lasombra, it's like rando hardmode with no warning.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 24, 2021

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Fuzz posted:

... fake out choices that you can never win (there's a couple of these) ...

What are these?

EDIT:

Fuzz posted:

EDIT: Okay yeah, I'm on the third mission now and have 2 in a discipline in a combat encounter (basically as high as you can get it at this point) and have beaten this encounter handily with lower level other disciplines with other characters. Just did it with Lasombra boy and used Oblivion and I just got half my face melted off.

This game totally fucks you if you're Lasombra, it's like rando hardmode with no warning.

How much willpower do you have?

I built a character that was failing absolutely everything, even with powers, when I realized that he only had 1 willpower, and apparently if hunger is greater than or equal to willpower (i.e. always if you have 1 willpower) then you suffer penalties on every single check.

There are character history combinations that give you 1 dot in COM and RES, leaving you with 1 willpower to start.

Organ Fiend fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 24, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

My Lasombra has been coasting to victory with Oblivion so far but I can’t help but wonder if there are some trick choices. By which I mean, the game lets you use Oblivion for a LOT of things since it’s very broadly defined shadow magic but maybe not all options are things it’s *actually* good for.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Also normally I'm keener on Anarch stuff but the Anarchs in Night Road seem like dipshits SO time to go full Cam Bastard.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Organ Fiend posted:

How much willpower do you have?

I built a character that was failing absolutely everything, even with powers, when I realized that he only had 1 willpower, and apparently if hunger is greater than or equal to willpower (i.e. always if you have 1 willpower) then you suffer penalties on every single check.

There are character history combinations that give you 1 dot in COM and RES, leaving you with 1 willpower to start.

:doh:

This was it. That character had 1 Willpower and was just sucking rear end relentlessly as a result. Very good to know.

Also normally I'm keener on Anarch stuff but the Anarchs in Night Road seem like dipshits SO time to go full Cam Bastard.

My biggest complaint is that Anarchs are synonymous with Julian, and Julian is a little poo poo who is thoroughly unlikable. You have no option to just go, like, join all the actually cool Anarchs like the big pack of Gangrel or the Malks.

I'm hoping maybe they make another DLC that's a Malkavian one that also adds a true Anarch option... would be neat, since for a Malk run you'd have to rewrite a ton of stuff, so just doing a big DLC that's JUST those two things for the price of the Shadows one would be fine, honestly. I'd also be down for more games like this, because drat, it's really good.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 25, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fuzz posted:

:doh:

This was it. That character had 1 Willpower and was just sucking rear end relentlessly as a result. Very good to know.

My biggest complaint is that Anarchs are synonymous with Julian, and Julian is a little poo poo who is thoroughly unlikable. You have no option to just go, like, join all the actually cool Anarchs like the big pack of Gangrel or the Malks.

I'm hoping maybe they make another DLC that's a Malkavian one that also adds a true Anarch option... would be neat, since for a Malk run you'd have to rewrite a ton of stuff, so just doing a big DLC that's JUST those two things for the price of the Shadows one would be fine, honestly. I'd also be down for more games like this, because drat, it's really good.

I’m basically doing my first run here and have been monkeying around with early chapter stuff. I don’t suppose you know what stat boosts the various First Feeding options give? I saw that the night club gave a dot of persuasion and subterfuge.

Currently leaning towards Lots of Friends/Rainer/Dark Scholar/Extra Oblivion dot as the way to go for Lasombra, just need to suss out the feeding bonuses.

And agreed, the Anarch Face sucks but oh well. At least the Prince seems cool so far.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

That actually sounds great. Do all my fun single player stuff, but if I gently caress up the pvp flag goes active.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I’m basically doing my first run here and have been monkeying around with early chapter stuff. I don’t suppose you know what stat boosts the various First Feeding options give? I saw that the night club gave a dot of persuasion and subterfuge.

Currently leaning towards Lots of Friends/Rainer/Dark Scholar/Extra Oblivion dot as the way to go for Lasombra, just need to suss out the feeding bonuses.

And agreed, the Anarch Face sucks but oh well. At least the Prince seems cool so far.

This should help. Note: You can't actually go over 4 in a stat, so those 5 point stats with Aliette get throttled down to 4 and you lose the points at the end of Chapter 1... you still get good stats, but not nearly as good, and you can get better stats pursuing other stuff.

Ignore the parentheses stuff if it's your first run, it's not important. Go in cold, it's worth it.

As for the first feed, I only noticed the Persuasion bonus with either the sexy times club or going to the goth club. I haven't seen any other boosts from those early chapters.

I will say that there's a few ghouls you can get and they are all worth pursuing in their own ways. Not gonna spoil how to get them since two of them are sorta "hidden" (one is very hidden) and one is super obvious, but the skills that you want are Cha and Leadership for two of them, or you have to do certain actions early on to run across the other one later, which requires a specific Int + Clandestine or similarly replaceable Discipline (like Obfuscate, Oblivion, or Celerity) to pull off. Each ghoul has a vibe, I guess if you wanna know more:

Obvious Ghoul - Social stuff
Semi obvious Ghoul - Mental stuff
Hidden Ghoul - Combat and Superhero stuff

My current Lasombra better run I went Friends/Chance/Dark Scholar/Extra Oblivion, took the traditional clothes and then stalked the goth club. Pretty solid stats and since I knew which mission to do first, grabbed the semi hidden ghoul, did their sidequests already and I'm rolling into the second mission with $11k and 20 exp earned already. Already bought the penthouse, next will be a better car and then a better melee weapon. I'll let you know how much more stupidly broken it gets, this will be basically my 4.5th run.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 25, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

As far as I’ve been able to determine all of the first feeding options give you a dot to two stats from my experimentation. Vagrants is combat and intimidation. Sex is persuasion and subterfuge. Not sure about the rest so far. Probably gonna test the goth club.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Thanks for putting me onto night road, thread. I honestly wouldn't have picked it up, but I tried the free version from mobile and I'm having a ton of fun.

Are the dlc worth picking up immediately? Or wait until I've hit the end?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Trenchdeep posted:

Thanks for putting me onto night road, thread. I honestly wouldn't have picked it up, but I tried the free version from mobile and I'm having a ton of fun.

Are the dlc worth picking up immediately? Or wait until I've hit the end?

If you are really interested in one of the DLC clans go for it, but the vanilla game is very good and stands on it's own.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

WrightOfWay posted:

If you are really interested in one of the DLC clans go for it, but the vanilla game is very good and stands on it's own.

Definitely interested in a couple of the Secrets clans, less so in the outcasts. Cheers for the recommendation.

Any opinions on the werewolves games by the same people?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Trenchdeep posted:

Definitely interested in a couple of the Secrets clans, less so in the outcasts. Cheers for the recommendation.

I'm assuming you mean the Choice of Games werewolves games? They're really good but not World of Darkness werewolves if that's what you are looking for. They have two other V:tM games planned, one you play as a hunter and comes out July 29 and the other is focused on Vampire politics in Ottawa which is supposed to come out sometime this summer.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm assuming you mean the Choice of Games werewolves games? They're really good but not World of Darkness werewolves if that's what you are looking for. They have two other V:tM games planned, one you play as a hunter and comes out July 29 and the other is focused on Vampire politics in Ottawa which is supposed to come out sometime this summer.

Ah, shame. Thought they were vtm-wolves.

I'll see how I feel after this game then, it's mostly the vampire universe that I'm looking for at the moment.

The Hunter book should be interesting though.

That BR looks like a ton of fun to run around in, but probably awful to actually play, in can never get into them

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Trenchdeep posted:

As a note, Choice of Games is a publisher of that type of "choose your own adventure" style game. They're not all up to the same quality and they're not all by the same people. The guy who wrote Night Road has written several other games for them, but none of them are WoD properties and I haven't bothered to play any of them, so I have no advice. I am pretty sure most of their games have free trials somewhere though.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, also picked up Night Road thanks to the thread. Also digging it. Having come from Bloodlines essentially I really like the updated setting with the Second Inquisition. I was aware of it before, but seeing the effects in contrast to Bloodlines is really cool. Definitely was a good way to proceed beyond the Final Nights dead-end. Also further evidence that Hunter really is the most compelling take on the setting.

Dec 30, 2008
There's more Bloodhunt footage out now from youtubers who were invited to the pre-alpha, and watching it has pretty much reaffirmed my initial take that this game is just Hyper Scape with VtM painted over the top of it. Though it is funny to see the ways in which they've shoehorned VtM stuff into standard battle royale mechanics where they can, and then just given up where they can't. Like your special abilities are your kindred powers, and health packs are blood bags, executes are diablerie, and the gas is uhh... it's just gas... that hurts vampires for some reason... even though they don't need to breathe.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Guest posted:

There's more Bloodhunt footage out now from youtubers who were invited to the pre-alpha, and watching it has pretty much reaffirmed my initial take that this game is just Hyper Scape with VtM painted over the top of it. Though it is funny to see the ways in which they've shoehorned VtM stuff into standard battle royale mechanics where they can, and then just given up where they can't. Like your special abilities are your kindred powers, and health packs are blood bags, executes are diablerie, and the gas is uhh... it's just gas... that hurts vampires for some reason... even though they don't need to breathe.
Papal fart gas. :catholic:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It should be dawn rising and they're all fighting in the shadow of a big castle or mountain or something.

Dec 30, 2008
Yeah, I'm admittedly not deep enough into VtM lore to know if there's some sort of precedent for special vampire hurting gas, but sunlight seems like such an obvious vampire trope that I'd be more inclined to try and incorporate it into the BR mechanics by saying they're fighting under some sort of magically generated shade circle that's shrinking over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Seems like sunlight would be the easiest option.

It would force everyone off the rooftops and into the streets where they would be prone to making more masquerade violations.