Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd like to see the world's largest rubber band ball :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah I did mean 'the stuff around them' in those cases.
But things like 'the corn palace', your local 'mystery spot' poo poo, hell, even Vegas (and I've been there a couple times).
Just. No to all that crap.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

But things like 'the corn palace', your local 'mystery spot' poo poo, hell, even Vegas (and I've been there a couple times).

:hmmyes:

Vegas is cool for the gambling, cause i like gambling, but that's about it. plus, you can gamble practically anywhere nowadays. novelty of the strip wore off after the first night

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

dont talk poo poo on the corn palace

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

vegas is in nevada and nevada is very cool. you can go to pahrump and visit art bell's grave.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

dont talk poo poo on the corn palace

Gonna take a poo poo IN the corn palace but not pay admission

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Aardvark! posted:

Jackson County, Texas population: 14k
it has a ghost town, Texana that is now under a reservoir

So this is less than two hours from Houston, and really only about an hour outside of the metro area. I'd never heard of it before, but Matagorda beach nearby is awesome. Now I'm trying to find information on diving the lake. I've only found two mentions of it on a random diving website. It's supposed to be relatively shallow (~40 feet), and silty with poor visibility. According to the park website, you are allowed to swim in the lake, but there is no designated swimming area, and they warn of venomous snakes and gators. I can't find any information on if any of the buildings or structures remain, or if that had been torn down before they built the drat. It sounds like the place was abandoned by the 1880s, and they started the drat in the 1960s.

The girlfriend said she'd come camp the weekend there with me if I wanted to try to dive it, and boy is it tempting. Also probably really dumb.

Edit: I'm not from Texas, but my girlfriend grew up about half an hour from there said she knew about the lake, but had never heard of the town. I'm starting to think there might not be anything there to see and that bums me out.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 24, 2021

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

There's a multi-mile long bridge in my area that a high-school classmate of mine died on about twenty years ago. Some other kid got drunk, stole a car, and head-on smashed into my classmate on that two-lane bridge.

He was an only child and his death absolutely devastated his parents. They made a (much smaller) shrine like this with one of those "Please Drive Safely: His Name" circular things.

And then they went out and cleaned and straightened it every day. I drove across that bridge to get to work for almost nineteen years, and I'll be damned if every day there weren't fresh flowers, or things moved around, or a little sign or something. Every. loving Day.

I drove over the bridge for the first time in about year a week or two ago and yep. Still there. Still being cared for.

Eight thousand days later.

I said all that to say this: Please don't drink and drive.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bellows lugosi posted:

vegas is in nevada and nevada is very cool. you can go to pahrump and visit art bell's grave.

it's cool, he was buried in a giant ufo alongside all of his Asian wives.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Niagara Falls the natural spectacle is cool as poo poo but yeah it’s ruined by the tourist bullshit. Also the surrounding towns are dumps.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aardvark! posted:

goons please give me numbers between 1 and 3147. That's how many rows are in the county spreadsheet I am keeping

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

it's cool, he was buried in a giant ufo alongside all of his Asian wives.

i visited it once and it's pretty depressing, it has the famous pic of him smoking a cigar on it and it's surrounded by a few half abandoned trailer parks

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

goons please give me numbers between 1 and 3147. That's how many rows are in the county spreadsheet I am keeping

I'm enjoying the posts, keep em coming but only if you want to of course!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bellows lugosi posted:

southern idaho is one of the worst places on earth. the center, an impassable batholith, is spared because no one lives there

Southern Idaho is for mormons whose grades weren't good enough to live in Utah.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

Also county 2216 after you do the next one that was asked for.

Clackamas County, Oregon population 418k

This county spreads from the south-east of Portland, east to Mt. Hood.

also, this was randomly in the middle of all the food pics,

e: edited to replace some of the text images at source resolution

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 24, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Aardvark! posted:

i don't know what happened to what im about to post but i swear i posted it and now im wondering if i posted it in some totally other thread. Anyway, one last post for this county. Im off work tomorrow and feel like digging up content

1488 should get you through the South, Texas, and some other areas

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yes I will have one half double breakfast please

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Yes I will have one half double breakfast please

I'd suggest stepping it up to the half tripple double breakfast.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love these zip code travelogues, I love seeing the banality of everyday life in other countries
It's a bit like that old thread 'tell me why where you live sucks' which was fantastic

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i live close to clackamas county and this is very clackamas county.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I grew up in Yamhill County, southeast of Clackamas County, but can confirm that Oregon small town diners own and that area is beautiful

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

huh, luck of my draw I guess. My cousin lived out in Astoria when we were kids so I got to fly out there and visit a bit, yep, seems pretty Oregonian

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

JonathonSpectre posted:

There's a multi-mile long bridge in my area that a high-school classmate of mine died on about twenty years ago. Some other kid got drunk, stole a car, and head-on smashed into my classmate on that two-lane bridge.

He was an only child and his death absolutely devastated his parents. They made a (much smaller) shrine like this with one of those "Please Drive Safely: His Name" circular things.

And then they went out and cleaned and straightened it every day. I drove across that bridge to get to work for almost nineteen years, and I'll be damned if every day there weren't fresh flowers, or things moved around, or a little sign or something. Every. loving Day.

I drove over the bridge for the first time in about year a week or two ago and yep. Still there. Still being cared for.

Eight thousand days later.

I said all that to say this: Please don't drink and drive.

You may want to consider talking to them (his parents) some time.
I think they would be at least somewhat happier that someone besides them remembers their son and understands the message. :unsmith:

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

How precious

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

For after hours tater deliveries, please use the marked dropbox - Quest Diagnostics

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

astoria oregon is cool but i wouldn't want to live there unless i was fully prepared to die in a landslide when the big one hits and the entire city slides into the columbia river

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

EoinCannon posted:

I love these zip code travelogues, I love seeing the banality of everyday life in other countries
It's a bit like that old thread 'tell me why where you live sucks' which was fantastic

The Midwest is the font from which all banality springs.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The Midwest is the font from which all banality springs.

So, Comic Sans.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My random number is 2370 and I believe in whatever county that is

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

feedmegin posted:

Do Hillsdale County MI imo

Hillsdale County, Michigan - population 45k.

Original map copyright 2005

See that little squibble on the bottom left?? That makes this the ONLY county bordering both Indiana AND Ohio!!!! what a confluence of rust belt/Midwest power this place must be

Hubba hubba!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
More Hillsdale County, Michigan

I love the combination of the name of this place and their clientele.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Checks out but I remember a lot more Confederate flags. My ex-wife was from Jerome, MI, a tiny town of like 200 people - only businesses there were the two churches and the deer processing plant. Rural Michigan is actually worse than the South when it comes to the racisms (not including my wife, obviously, she got out and went to college) because they don't actually have any black people but they sure as hell still seem to hate and fear them.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Big Beef City posted:

Gonna take a poo poo IN the corn palace but not pay admission

You'll have to answer to GOD for that, son.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Aardvark! posted:

Clackamas County, Oregon population 418k

This county spreads from the south-east of Portland, east to Mt. Hood.

also, this was randomly in the middle of all the food pics,

e: edited to replace some of the text images at source resolution

I worked for the Oregon City school district for nearly a decade. My boss was a terrible fundamentalist Christian woman who lived on a Christmas tree farm with her husband, and owned several original paintings by Thomas Kinkade.

I was almost run over three separate times in Oregon City, once by a monster truck!
(It is very hilly, so no one walks anywhere. My mistake.)

Clackamas county is 30 minutes or so from Portland, but feels like a different planet.

Random factoid: Cartoonist Bill Plympton made a low budget live action movie called "Guns on the Clackamas."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This is exactly like my one trip to Cracker Barrel, it was old dudes sitting by themselves looking sad as hell. That place was so depressing and the food was just like Sysco institutional food.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Oregon City's claim to fame (besides being the original capitol of Oregon) is this municipal elevator:

Edit:

It is still in operation. Here are the hours:

There were few, if any, pedestrians in Oregon City, so I am honestly amazed the city still pays someone to operate that thing. And it's old, so the upkeep must be expensive. The locals gleefully denied funding to the schools, but apparently the elevator is worth paying for with their tax dollars. Priorities!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 25, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Waterbed Wendy posted:

He's leaning against a wall, legs spread wide, delicately tracing the bumps on his green flesh. the smell of brine makes my mouth water. He's hot garlic and I will do anything he asks just for a taste.

His wry smile and teddy bear eyes will haunt my dreams for years, decades.
In your fanfic, why is he turning his torso 180 degrees to greet you? Is he caught in the act of irinating on a wall, and his wry smile is actually a grimace of embarassment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
Anyone for a casually racist hot dog?