Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Armauk posted:

Imagine having to work in retail.

lol, you've basically told the universe that you'd like to learn some humility with this comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rufio posted:

Somebody else said it already but Home Depot has figured out self checkout somehow. They give you the gun, it can quickly scan, and their system doesn't care about if you're bagging or not. It's glorious.

Yeah I enjoy using the scanner gun. :blastu:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

home depot does have the bomb self checkout. i've never used the costco one i like to use the cashier so they have to hire more cashiers

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
PLACE THE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
AN ASSOCIATE IS ON THE WAY

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Lemme buy beer and booze at self checkout yoi cowards!!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Lemme buy beer and booze at self checkout yoi cowards!!!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hell Yeah posted:

home depot does have the bomb self checkout. i've never used the costco one i like to use the cashier so they have to hire more cashiers

The only thing I can think of with HOme Depot is that most of their really expensive poo poo is so huge that it would be impossible to hide in a cart full of crap. You're not going to be able to "forget" to scan a lawnmower or a poo poo load of 2x4s.

I've also noticed that any time I'm going through with a notably large amount of stuff the person supervising the checkout area just walks over and guns it for me.

My guess is that somewhere out there is a loss prevention study that told them the majority of poo poo people could manage to sneak out was cheap enough that it didn't really matter.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Strangely enough, the larger your cart is, the more they watch you. Thieves are notorious for loading up a cart and just walking out with it, which is why they watch those people specifically. I found out because I was loading up a cart one day, getting tons of different supplies we needed, and started noticing that employees were following me. I was spoken to by no less than 3 separate employees about what I was shopping for. I think if you've ever shopped at Lowes/Home Depot, you know how rare it is for even a single employee to offer assistance.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Cashier comes and punches in their code, clears error.

Scan item, put in bag.

PLEASE PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAG

I've used Costco self checkout like twice because I rarely only go for less than 3 or 4 items. But when I have gone, it's busy as hell but very efficient.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I think if you've ever shopped at Lowes/Home Depot, you know how rare it is for even a single employee to offer assistance.

Thank you for this life hack.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Honestly though, I think everyone should have to work service or retail for a year. Like compulsory military service, but for empathy rather than nationalism.

I've been banging this exact same drum since I worked retail in the late 90's. Having to deal with the worst of humanity informs your attitude and decisions for the rest of your life.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ShowTime posted:

Strangely enough, the larger your cart is, the more they watch you. Thieves are notorious for loading up a cart and just walking out with it, which is why they watch those people specifically. I found out because I was loading up a cart one day, getting tons of different supplies we needed, and started noticing that employees were following me. I was spoken to by no less than 3 separate employees about what I was shopping for. I think if you've ever shopped at Lowes/Home Depot, you know how rare it is for even a single employee to offer assistance.

I watched two of these go down, one was a cart full of stuff and they just walked out. The other was a guy who just used an orange bucket and as much as he could carry.

I did have a supervisor at HD just tell me to take something I forgot to scan once which was nice. It was like a 60 cent plumbing elbow.

My local Lowes has self check now but they have corded guns. Lowes always does things just a little worse. Oh well, I'll keep buying that garbage!

Ok back to Costco I had a weird experience where the employees were all on the lookout for a woman in red shorts or skirt. I could overhear the radio chatter but not what they were watching her for. And they were really watching, moving around and peering down aisles. I wonder what she did or was doing.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You put small, easy to lift items on the belt and large or heavy things like bottled water and toilet paper in the cart. It is a dick thing to leave everything in the cart.

I also turn barcodes up for the things I leave in the cart.

Must be a regional thing. At ours there are two employees for every register. One of them puts all the items on the belt and turns everything in the cart barcode up. The other is the main cashier and scans everything. They take the cart from you and do all of this pretty automatically, so I just assumed this was standard procedure.

e: Also went to Costco yesterday. They were out of Kirkland water and both organic/non-organic romaine lettuce hearts. I guess there could have been a run on those items by a camp or something, but I'm guessing they are pushing other products.

Abyss fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 25, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

This thread has convinced me to start turning my barcodes up as I put items into my cart, that's an easy timesaver (and less lifting) for everyone involved

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Barry posted:

I've been banging this exact same drum since I worked retail in the late 90's. Having to deal with the worst of humanity informs your attitude and decisions for the rest of your life.

:hmmyes:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You put small, easy to lift items on the belt and large or heavy things like bottled water and toilet paper in the cart. It is a dick thing to leave everything in the cart.

I also turn barcodes up for the things I leave in the cart.

FWIW, since the pandemic my Costco has been asking people to leave everything in the cart. They've been allowing items back on the belt again in the last couple months or so, but some cashiers will still ask you to leave everything in the cart.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I used to manage a board game/trading card store. I've dealt with every customer you can imagine. My area is also the #1 opiate abuse capital in the country. Do you have any idea how many junkies I had to deal with that would go to Walmart and steal Pokemon or Magic: the Gathering cards to sell for their daily fix?

Yea, i'm not working retail ever again. If you are able to work retail I have the utmost respect for you.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
You haven't lived until you've managed hospitality industry temp workers lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Spinz posted:

You haven't lived until you've managed hospitality industry temp workers lol

I believe that. Contractors? Living in my hotel?

At the same time, i'd almost rather deal with them then the 35 year old guy with aspergers who finally found someone who knows what 40k is and cannot stop talking about it. Even if you politely tell them you are busy, they'll come back 15 minutes later to talk about space marines again.

Also, some of the things i've smelled are almost indescribable.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

please scan your BANANA

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Self checkouts own bc I'm the only person that touches my stuff and i get to bag it exactly how i want it. When I'm going to Costco I only ever get six or seven items max anyways, so I'm in and out. We have the scanner guns and are encouraged to use them.

E: yes I'm aware other people have touched stuff on the shelves at the grocery store

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Honestly though, I think everyone should have to work service or retail for a year. Like compulsory military service, but for empathy rather than nationalism.

:agreed:

Okay so two Costco questions. First, how the gently caress is the pepperoni slice led calories than the cheese slice! And second, I didn't see a single item that was .97, is it not in the cost and in like, the item number or something? Saw plenty of .69(:nice:) prices but not a single .97

Also I bought a handle of gin on impulse cause I had a dream about infusing gin with mint. Praise be to Costco for letting me realize my dreams

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MarcusSA posted:

This is a very weird post.

Lots of people have never worked retail.

I don't know what angle the goon-with-the-barcode-mocking-wife had with giving him a hard time about attempting to help the checkout employee, but I read it as 'lol why help them?' which is where my comment comes from. A place of humility. Retail work exposes you to the rawness of how most people here in the United States need to have their hands slapped with a stern "No" said to them, multiple times throughout the day.
Did you think I was making a comment about how to like, functionally scan items?

lmao

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Okay so two Costco questions. First, how the gently caress is the pepperoni slice led calories than the cheese slice! And second, I didn't see a single item that was .97, is it not in the cost and in like, the item number or something? Saw plenty of .69(:nice:) prices but not a single .97

Also I bought a handle of gin on impulse cause I had a dream about infusing gin with mint. Praise be to Costco for letting me realize my dreams

The cheese pizza has more cheese than the pepperoni does

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want costco to just slap rfid labels on everything so I just walk through some arch that scans everything and irradiates me with EMF and charges my card automatically so I don’t have to unload my cart or interact with another human, is that too much to ask?!?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FCKGW posted:

Like, a lot more lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FCKGW posted:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Like, a lot more lol

:bravo:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

1 pound 8 oz

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
last time i used self check out at costco i forgot to scan a small item that was underneath a bunch of bigger poo poo and of course they caught it at the exit so now im thoroughly against self check outs on account of my own stupidity. using the price gun is pretty dope tho

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

thathonkey posted:

last time i used self check out at costco i forgot to scan a small item that was underneath a bunch of bigger poo poo and of course they caught it at the exit so now im thoroughly against self check outs on account of my own stupidity. using the price gun is pretty dope tho

That's exactly why there are employees there at self checkout. At ours we scan large items and double check that the item count on the receipt matches the number of items in the cart.

Anything that you can comfortably grasp and rotate with one hand goes on the belt. All other items stay in the cart. If there's a pack of batteries the member forgot about that we can't see under a layer of salads, we get in trouble for that.

Also, if you leave all your items in the basket, it makes it more difficult to see items on the bottom of the basket. Try doing 500 bodyweight squats a day and you'll see why cashiers don't want to stoop down every 60 seconds.

The exception is if you have so few items that you can clearly see around each item and can clearly tell that there's nothing underneath..

EDIT: I was making this post on my break and then I realized I was about to go over

Bigchops fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 26, 2021

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah this is the first time ive been where there was nobody to help at the "self" checkout. as it turns out, i do need quite a bit of help. there was just one employee standing near them looking bored as hell i didnt want to bother them

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I like self checkout generally because there is always one person in every line that takes absolutely forever to pay as if it's their first time every buying something. Like I have my Costco card and credit card in hand ready to go once I see the total, stick that chip in the reader, get receipt and say thank you then i'm on my way out within seconds and debating if I should stop for the hotdog.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Johnny Truant posted:

The .97 is a real thing. The amount of things that are on sale with that price varies from trip to trip. It's just something to watch out for it's pretty random. It can be anything as well. I've seen just a couple things on a trip and then a different trip I've seen like 20 different things at that discount.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

infraboy posted:

I like self checkout generally because there is always one person in every line that takes absolutely forever to pay as if it's their first time every buying something. Like I have my Costco card and credit card in hand ready to go once I see the total, stick that chip in the reader, get receipt and say thank you then i'm on my way out within seconds and debating if I should stop for the hotdog.

save even more time by already accepting that youre gonna get that dog before you walk through the door

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

infraboy posted:

Wtf who debates getting the dog?

The pro move is to get the dog first and eat it before shopping so you’re not hungry while looking at impulse buy food items.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

infraboy posted:

This always confuses me too, I don't understand what could possibly take that long and how people would put up with it.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
Our self check out uses different colored receipt paper so when the receipt checkers look it over they REALLY look it over.

Good find yesterday: they have Pendleton picnic blankets that fold up nice with a handle. Perfect for putting in your trunk for impromptu relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Cyrano4747 posted:

The pro move is to get the dog first and eat it before shopping so you’re not hungry while looking at impulse buy food items.

Woah, dude. That's why the cafe is at the front of the store.