Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

kntfkr posted:

Raw is one of my favorite movies but I wouldn't consider it horror, do you?

Yes, absolutely. It's a super gory movie about killing and eating people.
That it's smart and there's more to it than the premise doesn't make it not horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yes, absolutely. It's a super gory movie about killing and eating people.
That it's smart and there's more to it than the premise doesn't make it not horror.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Aniara was a wonderful existential terror.

I watched Aniara yesterday and loved it so I def recommend it. That ending...

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I just watched 'I Can See You'.

It seems like a kind of big budget widely released film but I just stumbled across it on netflix having never heard of it. It doesn't have jump-scares but a lot of twists and revelations that make previous scenes make more sense - in fact, it might even be better on the second watch. Like Fight Club. I think describing the plot would just ruin it.

I also watched Day of the Dead: Bloodlines. I only got halfway through it. It's worse than the 2008 remake they did of Day of the Dead with the stupid vegetarian zombies. Jesus, vegetarians already ruined vampires at that point.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

wizard master

where did you go wizard master we gave you all these movies

i hate you wizard master

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
and what was it all for? nothing!!

Valko posted:

I just watched 'I Can See You'.

It seems like a kind of big budget widely released film but I just stumbled across it on netflix having never heard of it. It doesn't have jump-scares but a lot of twists and revelations that make previous scenes make more sense - in fact, it might even be better on the second watch. Like Fight Club. I think describing the plot would just ruin it.

I also watched Day of the Dead: Bloodlines. I only got halfway through it. It's worse than the 2008 remake they did of Day of the Dead with the stupid vegetarian zombies. Jesus, vegetarians already ruined vampires at that point.

it's called "i see you" and it's a very solid entry in the 'way better than you think it's going to be judging by the thumbnail/description/cast list' genre

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Valko posted:

Any movie made after 2005 with “…of the Dead” in the title is going to be a wet glob of diarrhea poo poo capitalizing on Romero’s zombie movie legacy for a quick buck.

I usually see movies like that in Walmart’s $5 DVD movie bin on a single disc with like 10 other movies :lmao:

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Mama was really good.

The Grudge 2004 is hands down the scariest.

It Follows is decent.

Ghost Ship has a good creepy vibe.

Also, Red Rose (ministries) was pretty suspenseful.

The Shining (1980) is good. The audiobook even better.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

Any movie made after 2005 with “…of the Dead” in the title is going to be a wet glob of diarrhea poo poo capitalizing on Romero’s zombie movie legacy for a quick buck.

Counterpoint: One Cut of the Dead

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

You Are A Elf posted:

Thank you for including 2004. Speaking of comedy things is Dale and Tucker vs. Evil good or not? Someone recommended it to me once but they also used to watch Burn Notice so...

Also I'm going to be in NY in July and Campbell is hosting a double feature of Evil Dead/2 at a drive-in in Auburn and it's sold out.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Tucker and Dale is legit good

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dale and Tucker is an absolute DELIGHT. My nephews showed it to me and I was very proud of their taste because it turned out to be my favorite comedy in years. Charming as gently caress.

I'm a particular hard sell on comedies. Like 'em really smart or really dumb and not much in-between.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

caleb posted:

Thank you for including 2004. Speaking of comedy things is Dale and Tucker vs. Evil good or not? Someone recommended it to me once but they also used to watch Burn Notice so...

Also I'm going to be in NY in July and Campbell is hosting a double feature of Evil Dead/2 at a drive-in in Auburn and it's sold out.

It's good, yeah. Bear in mind that it's a comedy first, horror second. Think Ghostbusters, maybe?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mac and Cheese posted:

and what was it all for? nothing!!

it's called "i see you" and it's a very solid entry in the 'way better than you think it's going to be judging by the thumbnail/description/cast list' genre

yup. the advertising did this movie dirty, it's not a horror movie so much as a thriller

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Valko posted:

It's good, yeah. Bear in mind that it's a comedy first, horror second. Think Ghostbusters, maybe?

I'm thinking An American Werewolf in London. Lots of great comedy mixed in with absolute (body and gory) horror.

Or Shaun of the Dead (I got you, caleb :wink:). My absolute favorite horror comedy.

Edit: ...or is it Return of the Living Dead? ...FUUUCK that's a toughie. I love them both. Let's put it that way :)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Mulholland Drive has a great jump scare that you and the people in the movie know is coming but David Lynch makes it crazy and unnerving anyways.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

An American Werewolf in London is almost unique in my (limited) experience in being able to switch from pure comedy to pure tragedy to pure horror.
Lots of films mingle the styles, and yeah AAWiL does this too, but it somehow manages to keep them entirely separate at other times. It's jarring, but very effective.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Gremlins 2 combines great elements of existential horror (why is there a hot gremlin???) as well as a slow, burning dread (they’re evolving and becoming human like!?) to great effect and while there are jump scares they serve to ultimately drive home that the monster is, in fact, us all along

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Frazzled Disinfection posted:

Australian horror films are great. Alway atmospheric.

The Long Weekend - 1978. Couple with failing relationship hit the 'outback' and nature seems to be turning on them. Definitely odd vibes in places.

Picnic at Hanging rock - 1975

Picnic at Hanging Rock is a drat masterpiece

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wizchine posted:

Wrong Turn immediately comes to mind for hillbilly horror.

The sequel has Henry Rollins going Rambo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

I'm thinking An American Werewolf in London. Lots of great comedy mixed in with absolute (body and gory) horror.

Or Shaun of the Dead (I got you, caleb :wink:). My absolute favorite horror comedy.

Edit: ...or is it Return of the Living Dead? ...FUUUCK that's a toughie. I love them both. Let's put it that way :)

Return of the Living Dead is one of my favorite movies of all time. As perfectly crafted as SotD is, I can't help but love RotLD even more. Flaws and all.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Return of the Living Dead is one of my favorite movies of all time. As perfectly crafted as SotD is, I can't help but love RotLD even more. Flaws and all.

:hfive:

It’s been an absolute favorite of mine since I was a kid and wore out the VHS tape. The soundtrack makes its rounds during Halloween each year (and the rest of the year, too).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Revins posted:

Tucker and Dale is legit good

:hmmyes:

I only saw it once but I have to see it again.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Bram Stoker's Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola is a tremendously terrible and wonderful and I don't think it has any jump scares.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Salty Josh posted:

Mama was really good.

The Grudge 2004 is hands down the scariest.

It Follows is decent.

Ghost Ship has a good creepy vibe.

Also, Red Rose (ministries) was pretty suspenseful.

The Shining (1980) is good. The audiobook even better.

Another Ghost Ship fan :hfive:

Mama was good, for sure, but there is one jump scare in particular that hosed me up and there's another toward the end.

I love a creepy film. Not gory, not necessarily high octane, but a creepy movie. Not like 'makes you uncomfortable' creepy but a dread. Blair Witch, The Strangers (three or four jump scares in this one), The Shining, all great.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 27, 2021

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I thought It Follows was kind of a disappointment, honestly. It has a great premise that's just kind of wasted by deeply uninteresting characters and a general lack of intrigue. There are some flashes of greatness but it just doesn't quite live up to itself, if that makes any sense.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I thought It Follows was kind of a disappointment, honestly. It has a great premise that's just kind of wasted by deeply uninteresting characters and a general lack of intrigue. There are some flashes of greatness but it just doesn't quite live up to itself, if that makes any sense.

idk I liked it a lot and its one of my top horror movies. :shrug: the soundtrack is so good and that goes a long way for me

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I enjoy enough elements of It Follows to feel like I could recommend it, but I cannot for the life of me parse the pool scene logic. So if it worked perfectly, Jay would be in the pool, it would enter the pool, Jay would exit the pool, and they would throw the electronics in to electrocute it. It's just such a... weird plan. I don't know how anyone came up with it or how they thought it could work with so many wild variables or how they arrived at this over a narrow hallway and the drat gun. It's overly complex and risky for what they want to accomplish. I end up having to chalk it up to dumb kid logic, which I hate to do.

Otherwise, the camera work is excellent, the music's effective, I love the funky every era feel, and they do a fantastic job of of making you feel paranoid and vulnerable. A rare example of an agoraphobic horror film.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Another Ghost Ship fan :hfive:

The opening scene is great, the rest I barely remember

If you don’t think you want to see the whole thing the opening scene is on YouTube

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Come True

It's on Hulu.

I initially put off watching it because based on the title and description, it sounds like one of those horrible crappy low budget boring horror titles.

It's not.

IFC Midnight.

No jump scares.

It's good.

It has an "It Follows" vibe to the whole thing.

Synthwave soundtrack.

See how many 80's movie references you can get. Some spoiler-free ones: the older doctor character wears the same glasses that George Romero wore. The main character has a T-shirt that says "Romero" on it. There's music from 1986's "Manhunter" as well as some similar looking scenes. Look for a 1984 Terminator movie poster. Also a Lost Boys/Near Dark reference worked into the story.

The dream sequences are very Beksiński inspired.

Movie has a meta / twist ending that uses an Internet meme. You'll never guess which one.

Recommended!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3s-Fq-3Hs

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 28, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Tucker and Dale is extremely good, very funny and it still manages to have some great practical effects. If you're in the mood for horror comedies, I'd also suggest

The Editor from 2014. I just watched it this weekend. It's a parody of Italian horror films, so a little knowledge of them will help you get all the jokes. But even if you go in blind, it's funny, it has some pretty amazing special effects, and the music and cinematography they ape from Italian horror (especially the scenes shots like Suspiria) make it look amazing. I could not stop laughing at one specific scene, where The detective goes to an insane asylum and sees a guy with a bandaged face, which seems to be a clue to the mystery. Clu Gulager plays the doctor, and when he's asked WHY that guy has a bandaged face, he just goes "Weird, right? Very weird." in this deadpan voice.

And an overlooked movie I really enjoyed - The Pact. Caity Lotz plays a woman who moves into her mom's house after the mom dies and her sister has gone missing in the house. The whole thing is set up like the house is obviously haunted, but the movie takes a really fun twist as she investigates the history of her family and the house. It's not gonna be on your top 10 list or anything but it was fun, Caity Lotz rules, and it surprised me at a few points.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Just Before Dawn has one of the great fisting scenes in cinema history.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Just watched The Empty Man and it was really good, it's currently on HBO Max which I know you've all subbed to for Space Jam 2

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
What are some examples of movies that "rely on jump scares?" I think it's pretty much just a stereotype at this point; I mean you could re-title the thread "Recommendations for scary horror movies" and come up with the exact same results.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

What are some examples of movies that "rely on jump scares?" I think it's pretty much just a stereotype at this point; I mean you could re-title the thread "Recommendations for scary horror movies" and come up with the exact same results.

I think the first and second Conjuring movies are pretty dang good, but like 75% of the scares are a shot of something, then it goes dead quiet as someone walks near it, then something jumps out and the music goes crazy.

The later Paranormal Activity movies (and especially the MANY ripoffs of that franchise) generally are 80 minutes of nothing peppered with either a spooky face popping up or something running at the screen or a bunch of stuff falling down really loudly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Most modern horror movies.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It: Chapter 2 started to feel like a bad Newgrounds game by the end.

I wish I could give more examples, but I mostly watch campy old horror movies, or the artier modern ones.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Way too many jump scare movies:

- I mentioned A Quiet Place because they take the concept of "needing to be quiet" and then characters proceed to sneak up on each other from behind and grab each other's shoulders.
- The Conjuring films, as stated above, but also everything in The Conjuring universe: Annabelle and The Nun are both bad about it.
- The Dan Radcliffe version of The Woman in Black. Didn't see the second one.
- Both new IT films
- The 90's teen scream movies, like Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legends
- A lot of the Japanese horror remakes following The Ring, such as The Ring 2, Rings, One Missed Call, The Eye, The Grudge 1 and 2
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
- Whatever the hell Sleepy Hollow was
- Trash ghost movies like The Curse of La Llorona, Ouija, Haunting in Conneticut, Unfriended, those newer Amityville movies, Winchester
-Every Saw after the first 1

I watch a lot of horror movies while working. Also seen some good ones while working, so the atmosphere will catch my attention if it's there.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
SHARK MOVIES! your just swimming and then no music, and no sound, and then CHOMP

And yhou get jump scared even though the movies called Shark Attack 5 the Sharkiest Attackening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Deep Blue Sea is a whole lot of fun, with the most unexpected death I've ever seen.