Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

i read a LOT of fiction and while there's a lot I can recommend on a general book or web novel I liked level there's not much I can recommend and enjoyed the economic or political detail of. It's a detail a lot of authors phone in, or if it well fleshed out, it's written by a liberal and so is fairly infuriating. The Goblin Emperor is really good, though. Healer's Road is amazing. The Radch novels (ancillary justice, mercy, sword) are top tier. Murderbot Chronicles is ftw and seems to be hilariously critical of capitalism but doesn't really have an answer besides 'why don't we just be nicer'. Good books despite that, though. The culture novels flip flop in my mind between being hilariously critical of liberal interventionism and free love type stuff or a love letter to the same. I can't tell you which is what Banks was going for.

The spell monger novels, however, might just be top tier. They're an insanely slow paced slice of life novels about a military wizard. The books go into incredible detail about feudal socioeconomics in a magical world, including it's own industrial revolution slowly eroding the nobility. Most people hate these books because it's like 10k pages long and has no end in sight. I love them for that. There is literally no other book that comes close to painstakingly imagining an alternate world and trying to simulate every little detail, it's nuts.
I'm reading Malazan and it's basically about how everyone in power is a bastard and the only hope for survival or change of any kind is to band together with the other normal folk, and also about how Conan the Barbarian is a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
people say all this good stuff about Malazan but I forced myself through the first book (Gardens of the Moon?) and it was hateful fantasy swill on more or less the same level as Wheel of Time. I do hear that the very next book is a gigantic improvement but I also kept hearing how one of the characters I hated most who talked about himself in the third person all the time was a fan favourite and that seriously put me off lol

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

John Charity Spring posted:

people say all this good stuff about Malazan but I forced myself through the first book (Gardens of the Moon?) and it was hateful fantasy swill on more or less the same level as Wheel of Time. I do hear that the very next book is a gigantic improvement but I also kept hearing how one of the characters I hated most who talked about himself in the third person all the time was a fan favourite and that seriously put me off lol

So couple things: gardens is the worst book and there's a huge quality jump between it and deadhouse gates for two reasons

1) ten year gap between the two bring written
2) gardens was originally a screenplay that never got made

Also deadhouse gates is about an army escaping rebellion with no supplies and everyone trying to murder them and it rules, generally speaking. Also kruppe is always just a side character and his entire thing is an act to at least some degree (he does it just to annoy people so they don't realize how big a deal he actually is)

I'm plugging away at book 4 now and it's such a difference from where it started. Cannot recommend enough

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Also wheel of time is wayyyyyy more hosed in it's politics than Malazan. Erikson is some strain of leftist and the only people who are outright gross monstrosities are the ruling class, everyone else is like "yeah that dudes weird but he's one of us, whatever" as opposed to the constant gross gender politics of wot

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Josh Christ posted:

Also wheel of time is wayyyyyy more hosed in it's politics than Malazan. Erikson is some strain of leftist and the only people who are outright gross monstrosities are the ruling class, everyone else is like "yeah that dudes weird but he's one of us, whatever" as opposed to the constant gross gender politics of wot

oh now this I definitely believe, Jordan was a terrible loving person so I'm being unfair calling anything 'hateful' in comparison to Wheel of Time

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I couldn't make it through the first Malazan book so I have no strong opinion. I dropped it to read some other books. They used to be my on old phone and now I can't remember the dang name. The first one is about a soldier who gets a magic sword from a wizard, except it's totally cursed. It owns.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
smashing a hammer into a trash can, demanding everyone read Deadhouse Gates, a book where the happy ending is an entire army being crucified because the world sucks and is unfair and its because the people in power want it to be

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've been reading the Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives, and it's pretty good so far. Would recommend.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ASAPRockySituation posted:

tedious megathreads

the megathreads in D&D are not tedious because they are megathreads

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Have you read The Traitor Baru Cormorant yet? Its got a similar premise to Goblin Emperor (in this case, a woman from a conquered people enters the imperial bureaucracy to ~change it from the inside~) but is more skeptical of the ability to reform such a system.

Baru fuckin kicks rear end. Can't recommend it enough. Also, Dickinson is a goon (GeneralBattuta, IIRC)

He also wrote all the good parts of the Destiny series' lore. This isn't really a recommendation for any of the games (unless you and 5 friends have a lot of free time) but if you do play and notice that some of the lore stuff sticks out like a sore thumb because it's actually good and not just more video game writing, that's my boy Seth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I've been reading the Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives, and it's pretty good so far. Would recommend.
Bran-san is my guilty pleasure, Stormlight is a lot of fun. he's actually grown quite a lot as a writer and i think it shows, especially in his newer shorter stories. once you finish that, I'd also throw a rec out there for Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series, it's very bran-san like

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

First book is terrible and ganoes is isekai, absolutely. Kruppe reading is tortorous but I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

Bran-san is my guilty pleasure, Stormlight is a lot of fun. he's actually grown quite a lot as a writer and i think it shows, especially in his newer shorter stories. once you finish that, I'd also throw a rec out there for Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series, it's very bran-san like

Nice i'll check them out after.

This is how I feel about sanderson as well. I remember reading mistborn a while but getting kind of bored with it. Stormlight archives takes a while to pick up/world build but it's really good once you get slightly invested.