Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Perfect Element posted:

For the people unhappy with controller battery life, I think its worth noting that they last for literally HOURS after they say its on low battery. Like, mine said it a few days ago, and I think I've probably played for four hours on and off since then and it's still going.

I used to plug it in as soon as I got the warning, but now I don't bother.

Yeah, this was the same with the DS4. If I get the low bat warning I just let the controller die before switching to my other controller. Low bat warning occurs at something insane like 30% and you can literally play for hours with low bat as long as the controller isn't doing constant rumble or adaptive triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

similar to the biomes associated with returnal's lack of reliable save states, the biome we currently inhabit as a species also features no save state and will have to be restarted entirely after we are all dead

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, this was the same with the DS4. If I get the low bat warning I just let the controller die before switching to my other controller. Low bat warning occurs at something insane like 30% and you can literally play for hours with low bat as long as the controller isn't doing constant rumble or adaptive triggers.

You can also play for hours with low battery when it is doing those things fwiw

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

You can also play for hours with low battery when it is doing those things fwiw

rad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People in this thread should probably stop assuming their opinion is automatically fact just because they figured out how to be maximally obnoxious about expressing it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
But how else are we supposed to post?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Morpheus posted:

After about four or five runs through biome 2 without a single collectible I found a single cipher and realized that I still need 8 more. Jesus loving Christ.

Edit: then it froze my ps5 to the point of requiring a hard power down. Great.

Edit: and corrupted my save so all the time I put into finding that one goddamn thing was a complete waste. Thanks Housemarque. I'm done with your loving game now. Likely will not buy any games of yours in the future.

Another satisfied customer of Housemarque’s design decisions

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Morpheus posted:

After about four or five runs through biome 2 without a single collectible I found a single cipher and realized that I still need 8 more. Jesus loving Christ.

Edit: and corrupted my save so all the time I put into finding that one goddamn thing was a complete waste. Thanks Housemarque. I'm done with your loving game now. Likely will not buy any games of yours in the future.

This happened to me with Ratchet and Clank. You dont have a cloud backup?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

People in this thread should probably stop assuming their opinion is automatically fact just because they figured out how to be maximally obnoxious about expressing it

arist it's nice that you try to be a force for good, but the thread cannot be redeemed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6qQSll7InQ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But 13 Sentinels is average at best

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Morpheus posted:

Sounds like you need to hire an exorcist.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

But 13 Sentinels is average at best

Yes?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man this game owns

https://twitter.com/sunhilegend/status/1408853844940005395?s=21

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow R&C already dropped to £55 at retailers, that £70 rrp must not be going over well lol

I bought it for £55 on release day, shop around!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m a big fan of games with combat that lets the player really make their own fun. The nice thing about GoT when you get the stances and such down is how you can improvise and handle fights all sorts of ways. It’s very smooth, flowing. The buttons are fast and responsive, animations and effects are gorgeous. The sound design, god daaamn the sound design is bliss. By the end of the game the combat while still difficult felt more like a dance. It was a push and pull with me figuring out the most exciting ways to fight and, thanks to good game design that understands what makes third person melee fun, these ways were typically efficient and effective for winning as well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

veni veni veni posted:

This happened to me with Ratchet and Clank. You dont have a cloud backup?

Yeah, which is why I lost a couple hours of gameplay and not the entire 40-hour save or however much time I've put into this.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

CharlestonJew posted:

Another satisfied customer of Housemarque’s design decisions

I would mock their previous games, but outside of Stardust-series, I don't even recognize any of the gamenames.

I lied.
Elfmania was a bad amiga fighting game. BOOM.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nex Machina and Resogun are pretty epic imo, besides those two their resume is low-key quality even if most of the titles have less of a following

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

adhuin posted:

I would mock their previous games, but outside of Stardust-series, I don't even recognize any of the gamenames.

I lied.
Elfmania was a bad amiga fighting game. BOOM.

I mean resogun and nex machina are probably the best modern arcade games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah, like, just LISTEN to this :blastu: :rock: :swoon: :shlick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU80JAfXZHE

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
On pure gameplay Housemarque are one of the best in the business.

The music for the 4th boss in Returnal is loving epic too.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

I miss the tracker music. Takes ne back to the early 90:s.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Resogun was one of the best, if not the best, games of the PS4 launch era

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The one I remember is Outland, the Ikaruga Platformer. Also had unbelievably good music.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Returnal is basically nex machina, that's why it's so great. It's barely a rogue game at all imo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
imo that's also its major failing, because its appeal drops off sharply the more you loop through it. doesn't help that it gives you very little reason to keep looping after you finish act 3

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

It's weird, because like, on the one hand, I've absolutely been where you are, and felt what you're feeling about the game. It fuckin' sucks, and, I fully appreciate that stance, having literally held it.

But (and I know it's kinda super shilling here, defending it after that happened) at the same time, where I'm at now, having played a bunch more... like I'd happily go back and do the amount of game you've lost, a few times over. The game is just so weirdly playable and fun and good, once you get into it. It's definitely the only game I've ever got the 'extra secret NG+ ending' on, seen all it has to offer, and then been like.... ....yeah but now I'm immediately gonna play it again anyway. I haven't Platinumed it because I'm not really into hunting everything down, but I might well end up platting it just from playing it more even after I've finished it and coming across all the missing stuff incidentally.

But I didn't start off this enamored with it at all. It took quite a bit to win me over, I was sorta super down on it at first.

/edit: Just saw this after I posted!

Oxxidation posted:

imo that's also its major failing, because its appeal drops off sharply the more you loop through it. doesn't help that it gives you very little reason to keep looping after you finish act 3

How funny, while I agree it doesn't 'give' you a reason (aside from platinum and levelling the weapons) I feel really drawn back to it. But, this is only my personal preference, I'm not big into Roguelikes so thought that maybe this one in particular was good in some way, but it's quite possible it's just struck a chord with me. I do LOVE the narrative.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
After making too many complaint posts about needing 1-2 things to get the Platinum the one run I do today nabs me the last stupid cipher that was in a room that I don't think I've seen too often, some are blatantly obvious and this one was semi hidden and of course it's not marked on the maps like it should be, I was so excited I threw myself off an edge. This was like nearly 120 hours, it's really annoying because I know a lot of people have done it in half the time or less. drat i've killed a lot of things.

The game was great, very memorable, after act 2 (the first run through) it felt a lot easier. Not sure if i'd give it GOTY given how tedious that plat was and it really shouldn't have been, the infamous scout log 9 was unobtainable until the recent patch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doesn't have Sunhi's cropping but I like this one. A fight against a 30+ enemy mob, no damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EsgL5WMScU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wtf I thought Sushi Ghost was some drat Soulslike bullshit. :eyepop:

gently caress me, I had thought it was some Nioh/Sekiro poo poo. Great, there goes next week's entertainment budget.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 27, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Wtf I thought Sushi Ghost was some drat Soulslike bullshit. :eyepop:

No it’s more like an AssCreed with better combat.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Remember that Asscreed Japan everyone always wanted? It’s that, but even better.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Tsushighost is like melee comfort food, it's like a nice parryburger, it's light/heavy/block/dodge/parry, you already know exactly how it works and how good it feels to get it right. There's some combo stuff and some stance systems that are there to whisper sweet mechanical nothings in your ear but for the most part it's just the same happy dance the whole way through. The people are right, it's literally just Assassin's Creed, and that could be a good or a bad thing depending on what you want out of it and how critically you're going to think about it but you probably know exactly what that is and therefore how much you're going to love it.

Some day I'll go back and try the gimmick difficulty.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just beat Rift Apart, really liked it but there's no animal gun so it's automatically 0/10 worst game in the series

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Arist posted:

Just beat Rift Apart, really liked it but there's no animal gun so it's automatically 0/10 worst game in the series

It makes up for it a little with the Villain song at the end though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Casnorf posted:

Huh, I was told different! Cool! I'll update my funfax. Got any stories from those days? HE was kind of the last bastion of point and click adventure for a while.

Absolutely epic Quake and Unreal Tournament LAN scene. Chris Taylor liked to wrassle and on at least one occasion settled whether a bug would be fixed with a contest against a tester. Hand drawn art absolutely everywhere. A few of those kids games have crude easter eggs in them accessible from the ini files. Lots of ambitious projects happening that never got off the ground. For a while the QA lead was a tiny woman who would stalk the halls with a baseball bat with FIX IT written across it. I had left shortly before the time the place went under, but what I heard about the mass layoffs after Infogrames took over was incredibly unsettling, and a lot of people were really mistreated at the end, but Shelly Day and Ron Gilbert were really cool bosses.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’m getting Elden Ring ads on Instagram which seems crazy.

have they released that trailer music yet

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Arrrthritis posted:

I think the only weapon I don't like so far is the thing that fires the arc projector rods. Those things have been kind of meh for me, but I haven't really played around that much with it so I can't say I've given it a fair shake.

Out of all the hot takes in this thread, this one is somehow the worst. Electropylon Driver is god tier when you know how to use it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All of the weapons get significantly more powerful when you unlock a couple of perks. That one has a perk that makes it shoot 5 pylons in a shotgun pattern, so you get a free web of death with every shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The Pylon gun will make your Returnal life so much better/easier, it pretty much doesn't matter what perks are on it, especially for tanky enemies. The only thing comparable is having a Hollowseeker with serrated rounds and portal beam.

Make the game as easy as possible for yourself and play with the other guns later.