Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vinylshadow posted:

Darth Vader compilation but it's hosted by wrestling commentators would be a good video to make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddNXFwHDMSY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s a good point about how in the Lucasian movies the side characters where not comic book characters but realish people who didn’t talk in quips but like how a professional would

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Maybe another way to put it would be that in the OT and PT the characters talk to each other (at least sometimes) and in the ST they talk to the audience.

Or that in the ST most (every?) character interaction/relationship has an emotional charge, while many in the OT/PT don't.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The space battles in the prequels serve very different purposes than the ones in the OT. Episode 2 is very explicitly a duel but with spaceships instead of Lightsabers, which is unique and has incredible sound design. Episode 1 functionally has two. The first is the Queen's ship escaping, which is echoes both the transports escaping Hoth (breaking the line) and the Falcon fleeing from the Star Destroyers later (under heavier fire and unable to engage). The battle against the Droid Control Ship and the opening scene of Episode 3 are similar in that they aren't really about the space battle, its about the hero journeying through a battle to the enemy fortress in the middle instead of actively engaging in it. Episode 3 just has a way better realization of it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

euphronius posted:

Military organizations can obviously be governments. I don’t know why you think they can’t.

I didn’t say they can’t be, I said it doesn’t appear that they are. At no point in any of the three movies does anyone in the FO appear to perform any duties of government. Anything that situates the leaders of the FO within a larger political universe is completely absent. Their entire purpose as an organization is to kill Luke Skywalker. They don’t appear to have any goals beyond that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The FO took over Rose’s mining world and ran it. That is something governments do. Govern worlds.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

The FO took over Rose’s mining world and ran it. That is something governments do. Govern worlds.

In the single line of dialogue you're talking about, Rose doesn't say anything about the First Order taking over the world - let alone governing it.

"The First Order stripped our ore to finance its military, then shelled us to test their weapons."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the single line of dialogue you're talking about, Rose doesn't say anything about the First Order taking over the world - let alone governing it.

"The First Order stripped our ore to finance its military, then shelled us to test their weapons."

Similarly, they don't "reign" over Babu Frik Planet in any sense of the word except if Roman was there somehow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Fo was going door to door doing a security sweep when the heroes showed up iirc

Smg: i don’t have the script and and going off of memory so you are probably right for what she exactly said but what kind of entity is responsible colonizing worlds to finance armies? Probably governments

If I’m boring people I will shut up I’m sorry I thought this was a straightforward thing that didn’t need lots of rounds of discussion. It’s hard for me to guage when I’m annoying people overly

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

euphronius posted:

Smg: i don’t have the script and and going off of memory so you are probably right for what she exactly said but what kind of entity is responsible colonizing worlds to finance armies? Probably governments

Are they colonizing or merely raiding?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If the First Order stripmined the planet to finance its military, i guess that means a part of the First Order other than the military was doing it? Like they have civilian laborers or something as well

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i'm reasonably certain that a military organization could strip a planet of anything of value

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The way the First Order is shown to work seems more like, full on Hunnic horde or Thirty Years War style loot, pillage and burn rather than actually intending to take control of the galaxy like the Empire did, but they really aren't given anywhere near the context- we hear about what they do, sure, and TFA opens with a massacre, but we don't really see them exercising authority in any other context.

It could work to play up the full blown Nazi thing, since the only reason the Nazis functioned remotely as long as they did was wholesale looting, but it's pretty clear that Disney had no real interest in establishing meaningful context or themes beyond slapping on 'bad guy' signifiers. Like, they have less of a coherent motive, theme and power base than COBRA.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Horizon Burning posted:

i'm reasonably certain that a military organization could strip a planet of anything of value

yes but "the military stripmined the planet to fund its military" is an unintuitive way to say it, unless the First Order isn't just a military organization

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

FO? more like, fohhhhhhh.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

2house2fly posted:

yes but "the military stripmined the planet to fund its military" is an unintuitive way to say it, unless the First Order isn't just a military organization

Well, the evidence that they are not just a military organization is that they stripmined a planet. Also their affiliation to Roman Reigns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If anyone has an link to scripts I could find some stuff

I guess I could just watch them easily on the Disney app.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

It's outside of the text of the film, but what does the extended franchise products have to say about the first order?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the novel specifically about the first order provides nothing, as well

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

forest spirit posted:

It's outside of the text of the film, but what does the extended franchise products have to say about the first order?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the novel specifically about the first order provides nothing, as well

I think all the extended material produced has largely avoided the Sequel Trilogy. Which is an odd way to go about it, because a lot of the Prequel fanbase is arguably because of the vast amount of extended universe material that was made for those movies.

I can only think of the Resistance tv show, some books, and a handful of various comics.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Roth posted:

I think all the extended material produced has largely avoided the Sequel Trilogy. Which is an odd way to go about it, because a lot of the Prequel fanbase is arguably because of the vast amount of extended universe material that was made for those movies.

I can only think of the Resistance tv show, some books, and a handful of various comics.

I think it's in large part because the ST universe is deliberately insubstantial and vague in its world building to avoid the dreaded cries of Space Politics but as a result nothing really exists outside of the main characters perceptions, whereas the PT had a very rich and elaborately designed world and scenario that could be embellished and built upon by other writers

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

forest spirit posted:

Apparently Rian Johnson's First Order backstory was featured in Claudia Gray's Bloodline. In that book, taking place 6 years before Episode 7, the Republic's two main political factions are the Populists (space Libertarians who supported Leia), and the Centrists (the "Palpatine had some good ideas" faction).

The First Order itself was basically just the military at that point (which they'd spent 25 years building in the Unknown Regions), but they had a number of Centrist politicians working with them. After the First Order hired mercenaries to start committing terrorist attacks against the Republic, the Centrists went "see? maybe this wouldn't have happened if we had more guns" and seceded from the Republic to the First Order.

So the First Order was basically its own state up until Episode 7, and the Republic itself couldn't actually do anything against them unless they crossed a border somewhere. Not that they'd want to - the Populist faction was divided into two sub-factions that were only united in their hatred of the Centrists. One of the factions wanted to give voting rights to individual citizens rather than just letting planetary senators make all the decisions, while the other one wanted to dissolve the galactic government completely and let every system fend for itself.

So when the First Order destroys "The Republic", it's not actually a huge blow to the galaxy. The Old Republic apparently had around 24,000 systems represented in the senate by the time the Empire came to power, so if half of those are Centrist worlds, then there's about 12,000 in the Republic when the First Order destroys Hosnian Prime (assuming that the New Republic was actually able to retain all the Old Republic worlds in the first place).
And of those remaining 12,000 planets, half of them didn't want a central government anyway, so the destruction of the Republic is kind of a win for them - they get to be independent but also don't have to side with the First Order.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Man, wouldn't the Republic main planet being Hosnia instead of Coruscant be so much cooler if it was because Coruscant joined the First Order and was now their main planet

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The two sides are Populists and Centrists? A choice of names to make you hate them both!

(Also, if you're gonna use names with contemporary meaning, wouldn't it be better to apply "mealy-mouthed supporters of the status quo" and "angry and violent reactionary shitheads" to the opposite groups?)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Every time the bloodline book comes up new facets of stupidity appear, a beautiful gem of disney wars. If these space politics were truly invented by rian himself, then chef's kiss particularly

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Man, wouldn't the Republic main planet being Hosnia instead of Coruscant be so much cooler if it was because Coruscant joined the First Order and was now their main planet

That was actually the plan in Trevorrow's version of Episode 9, with the First Order parking a Star Destroyer on the planet to act as their palace.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

If anyone has an link to scripts I could find some stuff

I can save you some time:

There is no stuff.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Robot Style posted:

That was actually the plan in Trevorrow's version of Episode 9, with the First Order parking a Star Destroyer on the planet to act as their palace.

the more i hear about Trevorrow's ideas the more interested i am in seeing them, and I hated his other movies

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

well why not posted:

the more i hear about Trevorrow's ideas the more interested i am in seeing them, and I hated his other movies

A book of his concepts would be cool

A movie of them made by him would be very bad

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

There is no stuff.

Don't underestimate the power of interpretation, especially when the text is totally clear.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

well why not posted:

There's a fan comic adaptation of the Trevorrow script; the script itself was a first pass so it's rough, and the comic art is a bit amateur, but it still has a lot of potential, moreso than the Ep9 we got.

https://awinegarner.squarespace.com/duel-of-the-fates

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 28, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Extremely silly and blatantly unfinished script. But enough about rise of skywalker, let's talk trevorrow

edit: new av material just dropped

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 28, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is better than anything known ros lol

Fuckin JJ threw in prequel memes to satisfy prequel fans bc he’s a lazy bitch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There is no stuff.

Read this as 'there is no spoon'.

multijoe posted:

I think it's in large part because the ST universe is deliberately insubstantial and vague in its world building to avoid the dreaded cries of Space Politics but as a result nothing really exists outside of the main characters perceptions, whereas the PT had a very rich and elaborately designed world and scenario that could be embellished and built upon by other writers

I do wonder if Disney was also refusing to greenlight anything actually related to the sequels with any real substance because they were terrified of brand confusion or something.

Been said before; the sequels are canon to The Mandalorian and subsequent followups 'in theory, but not in practice'. And I imagine at this point, nobody's interested in touching them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In all seriousness I enjoyed reading the comic book, thanks for posting it. It clarified my thoughts about that script a bit. In the honored thread spirit of meaningless star wars discussion, here are some meaningless comments on it

- My favorite idea in it is them stealing the star destroyer and using it as a base of operations. One of my favorite star wars books when I was a kid was about a rebel squadron taking over a (much smaller) imperial ship, impersonating the crew, and going undercover to do sabotage and spy and stuff. It scratched that kind of itch that I think kids would particularly enjoy

- A disney wars movie will never, ever show common people rising up en masse in the streets to overthrow an oppressive government. I find it hard to understand how the script was written at all without that being understood

- That said I think the whole coruscant side of the script is the best part. Kylo's side is the worst and feels the roughest draft part, he does basically nothing of relevance except explode the crystal and isn't connected except via zoom. loving up kylo's face for most of the movie is a particularly dim idea, that's what the ladies are there for colin

- This was widely observed when the script leaked but the poemance is of course a huge dud. Fundamentally rotten idea, if you have to do a rey romance and finn is out of the question (get hosed disney) you have little choice but to do reylo

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 28, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No Mods No Masters posted:

- A disney wars movie will never, ever show common people rising up en masse in the streets to overthrow an oppressive government. I find it hard to understand how the script was written at all without that being understood

Could be why he got fired. I know people point to the bad Henry movie but there was talk about heavy disagreements so who knows.

“I want Finn to rise up and be awesome”

“No. Get out”

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

To be fair to Trevorrow and Connolly, this was the first draft and probably hadn't gotten any studio notes beyond really early soft requests like "can you put Palpatine in there somewhere?" or "Can Leia redeem Kylo somehow?". Obviously Disney and Lucasfilm disagreed with the stuff they wanted to put in the movie, or else they wouldn't have been fired and replaced with Abrams.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Not gonna lie, seeing Force Ghost Luke grab ahold of a lightsaber blade with his hand would’ve made every theatergoer in the world mark out if it had happened.

I feel like with some refinement, that Trevorrow movie could’ve been rad as gently caress.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What shocked me the most about TROS was how, in the first ten or fifteen minutes, JJ Abrams smash cut to about a half dozen different planets.

It was then when I realized “Oh God, theyre gonna try to fit what should’ve been two movies into one, aren’t they?”.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gonz posted:

What shocked me the most about TROS was how, in the first ten or fifteen minutes, JJ Abrams smash cut to about a half dozen different planets.

It was then when I realized “Oh God, theyre gonna try to fit what should’ve been two movies into one, aren’t they?”.

It really helped me lower my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm still glad I watched Cats.