Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lt. Lizard posted:

As far as I understood, archived mods can not be downloaded anymore, they just have metadata that allows various modpacks that include them to display "this mod is not available to download anymore" instead of crashing due to the "file not found" error.

That's not what the release states, when they say "data" they're referring to the actual content of the mods. Archived mods will still be hosted, they can even still be downloaded but only through a modlist that needs it. This is basically to stop flaky mod creators from breaking carefully compiled modlists by removing their mods without warning.

The only person who should be upset by this is Arthmoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hopefully this means VR players can get access to the unofficial patch again cause Arthmoor is a cock who changed the terms of his mod then declared it to be retroactive and went around DMCA'ing mediafire links

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do think this is entirely because they've gotten more (at least short term) premium subscriptions through Wabbajack than anything they've tried themselves.

Anecdotal but, God knows the only time I've paid for one was because I wanted to try Wabbajack mod packs.

I support it entirely because of the meltdowns it's caused. They have all of Arthmoor's poo poo, is he really gonna fix any more bugs? I do look forward to someone trying to start a new Nexus and it being complete poo poo that has nothing worth it, but still running well over their monthly bandwidth and being forced to shut down.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 25, 2021

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

That's not what the release states, when they say "data" they're referring to the actual content of the mods. Archived mods will still be hosted, they can even still be downloaded but only through a modlist that needs it. This is basically to stop flaky mod creators from breaking carefully compiled modlists by removing their mods without warning.

The only person who should be upset by this is Arthmoor.

...In that case that's actually worse than I thought? Having a modlist author deciding that that one mod that was discontinued and archived five years ago is absolutely the best way a feature x was ever implemented and then using the rest of the modlist to twist the Skyrim beyond the breaking point to ensure it works with modern mods doesn't strike me as ideal. Or a mod author deciding that the mod they are developing is simply broken beyond their ability and interest of fixing it and then archiving it before leaving mod scene forever and then it taking weeks, or months (or years) until said game-breaking mod is phased out of all active modlists, because maintenance on some of them happens once in a blue moon (especially once updating mods is automated and there are no deleted mods to break modlists). Similar things have already happened with Wabbajack, adding Nexus official modlist app to the mix will make them only more likely and more frequent.

Also let's talk about the elephant in the room, which is the massive leverage Nexus would have over any mod author that would want to pull their mods from Nexus and host it on another platform. And I know, mod authors are incredible drama queen and most of their reasons for why they would want to do that are ridiculously petty and stupid, but Nexus isn't exactly a paragon of virtue with a spotless track record either. I mean, Nexus doing something in the future that would make a decision to stop hosting your mods on it completely reasonable is.... actually pretty likely? There was that whole thing where they tried jumping on the whole paid mods bandwagon a few years ago, for one example. And like after the new changes Nexus won't give a gently caress, because it will be able to use your work on their modlists in perpetuity regardless of your wishes as the mod author and that's not very good?

Like equating it to Stalin or 1984 or whatever is obviously a dumb hyperbole, but it's also not exactly some kind of slam-dunk super positive objectively beneficial-for-everyone move that everyone should support without any concern?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lt. Lizard posted:

...In that case that's actually worse than I thought? Having a modlist author deciding that that one mod that was discontinued and archived five years ago is absolutely the best way a feature x was ever implemented and then using the rest of the modlist to twist the Skyrim beyond the breaking point to ensure it works with modern mods doesn't strike me as ideal.

Eh, sometimes you want to go back and use a modlist that you discovered someone put together 2 years ago or something. Having modlists that work is really helpful, and if it's one that is actively being maintained, then I imagine that they continue to update it as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, modders throwing shitfits and deleting mods over people downloading their mods in a way that doesn't directly generate clicks for them to bask in is dumb, but beneath the temper tantrums and hyperbole they do kind of have a legitimate point, IMO. I don't think this is a great move on the part of the Nexus.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

If you actually look at the change logs for various wabbajack mods, they are more than open to removing mods that are more trouble than they are worth to make work with everything else.

The obvious exceptions are mods where the entire gimmick of the modlist is based around. Like the one that ads a poo poo ton of star wars and zelda poo poo at the same time is always gonna curate the rest of the list based on the star wars and zelda mods.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ultimately, I think that the extra work that comes with the modlist curators having to discover why a mod in their modlist was archived (especially if the mod author just disappears with no explanation) and if the reason for its archival is something that will break the game if they keep said mod in their list, is more trouble than the theoretical safeguard against drama queen mod author throwing temper tantrum and taking their mod home is worth. Especially when I strongly feel that the decision where the mod should be hosted (or if it should be hosted at all), should be in the hands of its creator and not in the hands of the site that is currently hosting said mod.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The obvious crux of this is that nobody on the Nexus's forums will listen to that sort of well-thought-out and nuanced discussion about the matter like we're having here, and will instead panic and make Stalin comparisons about a mod site, or try to defend their special uwu paid-membership mod site. The actual "neither side is actually fully understanding the implications" discussion would get buried under sensationalism, as such is the nature of discourse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's been awhile since we last had a Slab Safari, so here are some quotes from the last page of random threads for you

quote:

Everytime I enslave someone, they are not following me after I say let's move, nor can I rape them. They just say "What? no..."

what is the problem?

quote:

I suddenly have some pawns with titanic breasts and they can't move anymore. Any way to turn it off? A setting?

quote:

Nice to see my cat- and puppygirls getting along, but i have the sneaking suspicion that they would still need actual males for this to work as intended.

quote:

I'm currently running into a problem where my wives are randomly ending up getting raped by someone, and I can't figure out who it is or how to stop it from happening again. It's really ruining my gameplay. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to find out who is raping people, how to prevent this, or how to maybe turn something off in the options? I've tried turning off 'rape' in the options, but that only seems to prevent just my character from raping anyone, and not actually preventing any one my wives from getting raped.

quote:

I'm having a problem killing bugs with stuffing their mouths, brains, gentials and anuses with smokeleaf.. and heroin and getting them drunk. it should be dead.

quote:

Awesome stuff. Any idea whether or not it would be possible to allow house heads to forbid dynasty members from being prostitutes?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Lone Badger posted:

It's been awhile since we last had a Slab Safari, so here are some quotes from the last page of random threads for you

Coincidentally, a friend just brought up a Slab mod that they were "sure we were talking about here" but I don't entirely recall, so.

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: This Is The Butt Plug Slot

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

KataraniSword posted:

Coincidentally, a friend just brought up a Slab mod that they were "sure we were talking about here" but I don't entirely recall, so.

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: This Is The Butt Plug Slot

Is this the mod that let you power Power Armor by putting the energy cells up your butt? Or are there multiple random butt plug mods?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hel posted:

Is this the mod that let you power Power Armor by putting the energy cells up your butt? Or are there multiple random butt plug mods?

I think so? If not, :nws: it IS compatible :nws: with it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's Fallout, nuclear-powered buttplugs are almost certainly canon.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Byzantine posted:

It's Fallout, nuclear-powered buttplugs are almost certainly canon.

In fallout there's a nuclear-powered sex robot named Fisto

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Definitely some Rimworld and Crusader Kings in there ... probably at least one Skyrim mod too.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: I've tried turning off 'rape' in the options

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quote:

Nice to see my cat- and puppygirls getting along, but i have the sneaking suspicion that they would still need actual males for this to work as intended.

Only if you're a quitter

Moon Slayer posted:

Definitely some Rimworld and Crusader Kings in there ... probably at least one Skyrim mod too.

Rimworld's slab mod is certainly something. Never before did I think I'd read the sentence :nms: I didn't realize I had a downed raider hanging around until some traders wandered by and started raping her. Then their animals started lining up to join in :nms:

Also insects can lay eggs. And I don't mean in nests.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Don't forget that the raid devs would literally follow guilds into the raids to watch their winning strategies, and then buff the boss to make their strategy impossible.

This poo poo is the legitimate worst and I wonder what kind of horrible brainworms you need to have to think this is at all remotely acceptable.

That's basically Edmund McMillan's MO and I wonder how he even still has a fanbase when every Isaac DLC is tailor made to ruin whatever fun you were having in the last one.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ishikabibble posted:

This poo poo is the legitimate worst and I wonder what kind of horrible brainworms you need to have to think this is at all remotely acceptable.

That's basically Edmund McMillan's MO and I wonder how he even still has a fanbase when every Isaac DLC is tailor made to ruin whatever fun you were having in the last one.

Nowadays this is standard in every live service game. It's called an "evolving meta" and people line up to play it so that their meta doesn't get "stale."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who is the mystery rapist who is going after my wives, I opine, next to the guy who is complaining he can't rape everyone.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I admit I don't have a full grasp on the nexus thing, but question. They can still update the mod, yes? Can they not just... update a dummy file over the actual mod if they don't want it there anymore? Update the info to reflect that? Or am I missing something about how it all works?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If I'm reading it right, they want to a prevent someone from removing their mod from directories entirely; the mods end up getting re-uploaded by randos and duplicated all over for no reason other than to have a "live" version that doesn't break their modlists.

Now if modmaker decides he's done forever with modding and deletes their anime tiddie mod, no one can access the mod directly or try to download it, but APIs will be able to access some kind of information to keep it "active" for the people that have it on a Mod manager list or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: nor can I rape them. They just say "What? no..."

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Drakenel posted:

I admit I don't have a full grasp on the nexus thing, but question. They can still update the mod, yes? Can they not just... update a dummy file over the actual mod if they don't want it there anymore? Update the info to reflect that? Or am I missing something about how it all works?

I assume the Nexus will keep the old versions. Mod lists would be pretty useless if every time an update happened it had a chance to break compatibility with the list.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spek posted:

I assume the Nexus will keep the old versions. Mod lists would be pretty useless if every time an update happened it had a chance to break compatibility with the list.

That's how it currently works.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I think some modders are just forgetting that they're modding a game, not creating entirely new works in a medium of their own making.

If you want to have absolute control of your work in perpetuum, you should probably not upload it to the internet on an aggregator site. You should especially not upload it when you've designed it to be an extension of a work you don't control, you're using an API you didn't personally design and license, you provide instructions in its use, and especially when you make a name for yourself by doing so multiple times.

The moment you make your work available to the public, additional copies are now out there. Unless you are providing the hosting yourself, the copies of the files are not entirely your property, and because you released them to the public through the aggregator, you're the one to blame.

Basically, if you want full control of your mods and their distribution and existence, uploading them to the public on a website designed to spread them far and wide is the dumbest possible thing to do. Idiots who are surprised by this have only themselves to blame.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
it's absolutely a good decision, game modding needs to evolve with the times just like everyone else

there are certainly gdpr implications, and specifically nexusmods does have to support the ability to remove personal information, which can include things like usernames, ip addresses, etc.

so depending on the game, that may be something they can do just by anonymizing file metadata. depending on the mod, and if the modder retains a lawyer to pursue the case, that could include removing the entire mod if the creative work contains personal information.

but by and large it's a fantastic decision overall and will make modlists significantly more stable and therefore attractive in the long run.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurui Reiten posted:

I think some modders are just forgetting that they're modding a game, not creating entirely new works in a medium of their own making.

It's absolutely this. I've seen the exact same thing in VRChat makers where some don't seem to get that once you upload it's out of your hands how others will use it.

A guy that made a highly-popular working pool table prefab (like EVERYONE was adding it to their world) just chucked a shitfit and tried to take his ball and leave over some petty thing one person did with it. The frankly-amazing VRCPrefab team just built their own fork of it instead that's now much better anyway.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Iron Rose posted:

there are certainly gdpr implications, and specifically nexusmods does have to support the ability to remove personal information, which can include things like usernames, ip addresses, etc.

That or they’ll just made Nexus unavailable in europe, like most of websites did

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am fairly certain release artefacts released to the public that have your name on it aren't covered by GDPR.

A lot of this modding weeaboo would be alleviated if everyone licensed their works properly and explicitly. I think nexus should be pushing for that more. Mandate a LICENSE file, even if it just says "all rights reserved" by default, and educate on the many different licenses out there.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

it's absolutely a good decision, game modding needs to evolve with the times just like everyone else

Yes, it is evolving in the direction of generating/maximizing profits and eliminating any possible obstacle that would stand in the way(like the power of people that actually create the profit-generating content to protest or disagree in any way). That's certainly a....... good thing?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yes, it is evolving in the direction of generating/maximizing profits and eliminating any possible obstacle that would stand in the way(like the power of people that actually create the profit-generating content to protest or disagree in any way). That's certainly a....... good thing?

as a reminder, The Iron Rose was a Kiwifarms poster, so their sense of "good" is rather skewed

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yes, it is evolving in the direction of generating/maximizing profits and eliminating any possible obstacle that would stand in the way
That ship has sailed a long time though?

I've been looking at the trainwreck of a thread about this topic in the ModAuthor section over the Nexus forum and keep seeing the take that it's outrageous that the NexusMods is profiting from the work of others. And it's just comes across as disingenuous. I mean, none of them were up in arms when the Nexus added that "buy a premium subscription" poo poo to the download page.
The Nexus site is a for-profit business and so were the Nexus' predecessors. Dark0ne has been monetizing mods for 18'ish years.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

StillFullyTerrible posted:

as a reminder, The Iron Rose was a Kiwifarms poster, so their sense of "good" is rather skewed

a long long time ago, in a far more conservative, self hating queer time in my life. i'm much happier, left wing in general, and accept myself now. I deeply regret the time spent there, and haven't been involved with any of that alt-right poo poo in the better part of a decade :)

bit personal for the modding thread, really, but when you have a whole lot of internalized queerphobia and hate yourself for being different, it can drive you to some not so good places! Fortunately, I had supportive friends, family, and this forum who helped pull me out of it. And that's all I intend to say on the matter.

Lt. Lizard posted:

as a former modder, i'm pretty okay with modders, and the platforms that host them, profiting off of their work

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 30, 2021

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

a long long time ago, in a far more conservative, self hating queer time in my life. i'm much happier, left wing in general, and accept myself now. I deeply regret the time spent there, and haven't been involved with any of that alt-right poo poo in the better part of a decade :)

bit personal for the modding thread, really, but when you have a whole lot of internalized queerphobia and hate yourself for being different, it can drive you to some not so good places! Fortunately, I had supportive friends, family, and this forum who helped pull me out of it. And that's all I intend to say on the matter.

Thats some good poo poo. Do you have PMs? Would love to ask you some questions for (post)grad-school work regarding Online Communities, Radicalization, etc

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

as a former modder, i'm pretty okay with modders, and the platforms that host them, profiting off of their work

I mean, it's entirely fair that you are ok with someone profiting from your mods. But would you be still ok, if the one profiting would be a sex pest? Or someone deep in Alt-Right circles, using your mod or profits from it to further their causes? Or, for something less sensational, someone who simply bundled your mod as a part of the official, paid DLC, without giving you recognition or compensation for it? There are myriad scenarios where you could begin to feel uncomfortable about who is profiting from your mods and honestly, a lot of them are not that unlikely, much less impossible.

Except all of the above doesn't really matter, because Nexus is currently implementing a feature that will allow them to not give a gently caress if someone is ok about Nexus profiting from their mods or not. Which is the whole issue here. It's less about the profiting by itself (although it's obviously still connected to it) and more about removing the most effective ability to protest of those they are profiting from, to safeguard their current profits from unforeseen sticky situations and to allow the possibility to make more controversial and thus riskier and more profitable moves in the future. And again, that is obviously not good.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok but: In this scenario, the mod was uploaded to the internet. You're not talking about a mod that was designed purely for personal use or use among a small group of friends. You're talking about mods that are released onto the wider internet.

A modder is not forced to upload their mod to the internet. Uploading to the wider internet is something that has to be done purposefully, and almost universally in a way that leads to "Look at my mod, isn't it neat, here you guys can play with it too".

At that point, several issues come into play over how much control the modder can have over distribution of something they willingly released. Licensing and for profit usage are complicated, but you don't just go to the Nexus and hit there "here's my mod, have fun" button. There's a multitude of steps to go through, since you're specifically sharing this piece of code.

These are not fully formed, self-contained games either. They require another frontend to function. Which complicates the issue even more.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean, it's entirely fair that you are ok with someone profiting from your mods. But would you be still ok, if the one profiting would be a sex pest? Or someone deep in Alt-Right circles, using your mod or profits from it to further their causes? Or, for something less sensational, someone who simply bundled your mod as a part of the official, paid DLC, without giving you recognition or compensation for it? There are myriad scenarios where you could begin to feel uncomfortable about who is profiting from your mods and honestly, a lot of them are not that unlikely, much less impossible.

Except all of the above doesn't really matter, because Nexus is currently implementing a feature that will allow them to not give a gently caress if someone is ok about Nexus profiting from their mods or not. Which is the whole issue here. It's less about the profiting by itself (although it's obviously still connected to it) and more about removing the most effective ability to protest of those they are profiting from, to safeguard their current profits from unforeseen sticky situations and to allow the possibility to make more controversial and thus riskier and more profitable moves in the future. And again, that is obviously not good.

I mean, I don't think I have any ability to control any of that, except insofar as much as I choose which platforms to publish on. If the mods were, shall we say, "pirated", and uploaded without my consent to alternative hosts, well, that's really a separate problem altogher, no?

As far as nexus goes, part of the deal with uploading to their website is that you now must consent to make your mod available forever and eternally. Now, ideally the Nexus should have let people opt out... but modders being modders, i get why they didn't. Not saying it was the right move, but I get it.

goblin week posted:

That or they’ll just made Nexus unavailable in europe, like most of websites did

doesn't actually make a difference, GDPR applies to people in the EU. lovely websites make themselves unavailable in europe so they don't collect data on people in the EU. But GDPR doesn't apply to only EU residents or citizens! It applies to any person within the EU. Which means that if Joe McDuck from Arizona goes to that website, enters personal information, flies to Europe for a vacation and then submits a GDPR request, they're just as liable.

Now in practice enforcement on this is lackluster, and understandably so given the current state of the tech industry. I can also totally see the European Court of Justice and/or its subordinate courts giving that particular case short shrift... or not! They're a pretty clasically liberal bunch. I can't find much on the status of judicial review in the ECJ though... so I may come back to edit this.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ok but: In this scenario, the mod was uploaded to the internet. You're not talking about a mod that was designed purely for personal use or use among a small group of friends. You're talking about mods that are released onto the wider internet.

A modder is not forced to upload their mod to the internet. Uploading to the wider internet is something that has to be done purposefully, and almost universally in a way that leads to "Look at my mod, isn't it neat, here you guys can play with it too".

At that point, several issues come into play over how much control the modder can have over distribution of something they willingly released. Licensing and for profit usage are complicated, but you don't just go to the Nexus and hit there "here's my mod, have fun" button. There's a multitude of steps to go through, since you're specifically sharing this piece of code.

These are not fully formed, self-contained games either. They require another frontend to function. Which complicates the issue even more.

Just because you upload something to the internet does not mean you do not retain rights over how it is used. I consent to the Nexus having control of my poo poo as part of their Terms of Service, but that doesn't mean I consent to, idk, the Stormfront Mod Forum hosting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Or, for something less sensational, someone who simply bundled your mod as a part of the official, paid DLC, without giving you recognition or compensation for it? There are myriad scenarios where you could begin to feel uncomfortable about who is profiting from your mods and honestly, a lot of them are not that unlikely, much less impossible.

If you use official tools to create a mod I'm pretty sure they all include a clause in the EULA saying the company that made the game owns everything you make in their tools.