Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. classes throttle ebikes as illegal scooters because you can’t get insurance for them, and you wouldn’t be able to ride it on trails either, so we only have pedal assist ebikes which are limited to 15mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

We’re a nation of coal rollers and 1kw cb radios, donks and carolina squats, street racers and hypermilers drafting 3ft behind semis, rules lawyers and HOAs. Coherent, effective regulation around ebikes is difficult to conceive of here.

I like the accessibility but I worry about ebikes on MTB trails and dense urban MUPs for the same reason I worry about a dirt bike or moped there; the speed difference increases bad outcomes and sightlines and turns are not set up for higher speeds. I went to a university that had pedestrians and regular bikes on the same pathways and there were so many collisions every semester. I can’t imagine what the outcomes would’ve been if the bikes were going twice as fast.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The upright sitting position and bike helmets you have on an ebike really are their own limiter on speed. Trust me, you got the motor turned right up on hills but you ain’t going 30mph. You are going 15mph and hoping you don’t look like a dog with it’s face out the window.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

U.K. classes throttle ebikes as illegal scooters because you can’t get insurance for them, and you wouldn’t be able to ride it on trails either, so we only have pedal assist ebikes which are limited to 15mph.
What's the status on e-scooters and the like? Here they're also bikes as long as they're speed limited, which I think is not ideal but still the right move.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

evil_bunnY posted:

What's the status on e-scooters and the like? Here they're also bikes as long as they're speed limited, which I think is not ideal but still the right move.

They don't fall into any category so are illegal. Loads of people use them anyway and police had been turning a blind eye but then recently decided to do an enforcement exercise and seize a bunch in the same week as a bunch of official trials launched. Spent my commutes recently cycling up to people warning them they could get 6 points and a £600 fine if the police fancy, no one was aware.

Edit: for non UK people your driving license will get suspended if you accumulate 12 penalty points within 3 years.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Loads of e scooters around here, super dangerous.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Loads of e scooters around here, super dangerous.

The limited ones are no worse than ebikes imo but there's a few that are basically electric mopeds (seat and everything) that deliveroo drivers are fond of and are an absolute menace

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I heard 600 scooters in London alone got seized by the metropolitan police last week, presumably they got all the commuters going from stations to the offices.

They won’t be made legal to privately own, same as they never made Segway legal. They can’t go in bike lanes or on the pavement so the only options is to have them in traffic or change the law, and every single idiot person who has ever screeched that cyclists are bad because they ride on the pavement would be up in arms.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I did it friends!

I'm knackered, but I managed to pace myself fairly well. There was a headwind for most of the last 50 km that caused some intense suffering, so I'm pretty chuffed that I managed to finish it. Made it home just in time to watch the Netherlands play in the Euros too :)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I ride completely upright at 15mph all the time and the wind is barely noticeable lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Many years ago at the aforementioned university an acquaintance bought a gas powered skateboard and it fell into the same category of neither road nor sidewalk legal. Turns out you can’t sneak around with a 2 stroke weed whacker motor around bored campus cops.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I heard 600 scooters in London alone got seized by the metropolitan police last week, presumably they got all the commuters going from stations to the offices.

They won’t be made legal to privately own, same as they never made Segway legal. They can’t go in bike lanes or on the pavement so the only options is to have them in traffic or change the law, and every single idiot person who has ever screeched that cyclists are bad because they ride on the pavement would be up in arms.

Yeah the royal parks police seized all the ones going through Hyde park last week, meanwhile whenever I'm in either Regents or Richmond I get overtaken at speed by literally every car despite cycling at around the speed limit.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Steve French posted:

I’d be royally pissed if the bike path along the river that I use to take my kids to the water, and that goes directly from my house to the grocery and hardware stores in 4.5 miles, disallowed my heavy cargo ebike, forcing me instead to ride 7.5 miles on a major road and highway. What sort of places are putting these restrictions in??

NYC has "banned" ebikes from the Hudson River Greenway, America's busiest bike path. I say "banned" because young white people on electric citibikes aren't getting stopped and ticketed, but working delivery cyclists are. They did it because of people in rich neighborhoods screeching about how "unsafe" deliveristas make them feel. These same areas order a shitload of Seamless and Uber Eats.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah the royal parks police seized all the ones going through Hyde park last week, meanwhile whenever I'm in either Regents or Richmond I get overtaken at speed by literally every car despite cycling at around the speed limit.
SAFETY SAFETY

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
See we have a unofficial speed limit on our canals 8-10mph is acceptable in most places, big empty/wider sections you can go faster - they enforce this by putting in “bike calming measures” if people start taking the piss, these are /-\ shaped metal barriers that make you get off and twist your handlebars to get through.

Also you are sharing the National cycleway with absolute bastards with dogs on extender leads or loose who think you hitting their dog will teach you a lesson about having fun so on a lot of these sections everyone’s average speed is about 9mph.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Montreal has those on one of the bridges across the river, if you get going too fast you'll hit a chain link fence. Apparently they even send people out to radar gun cyclists to make sure they're obeying the bridge speed limit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My opinion on escooters is mixed. We've got a trial going on for hire scooters in Poole and Bournemouth. They're limited to 12mph(even braking downhill) and are GPS locked so they can't be used on the seafront with all the pedestrians. You need a driving licence to use one and the company insures you. These ones i have no problem with.

The public ones however...

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I was going to do a 100km gravel ride but apparently the route I planned was all paved so I just kinda kept going to this resort just before the US border and I'm 80km in at the patio so I guess I'm doing a 160km road ride now. :shrug:

Glad I brought extra gummies and sunscreen.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
There definitely needs to be socializing of responsible ebike use (mostly to do with speed), but it's important to take care not to unwittingly empower a car lobby that would seize on fear-mongering over ebikes to stamp down all bike/pedestrian infrastructure.

https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1405782816386859011

I picked up an Allant+ 8S, which maxes out the pedal assist at 28mph. After riding it a bit, though I love it, I'd have gone with the 20mph variant. The extra speed is just largely superfluous in a built-up urban environment and only makes sense on open straightaways. Fortunately, due to the way the assist works, there's a massive amount of gradation up to that maximum. Unless I'm facing a real incline, I typically leave the assist off or in "eco" mode.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

First time I've seen a GP tire measure narrower than advertised:

Knowing this, makes me wanna try 28s, though then I'd lose the aero continuity from tire to rim.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is sorcery and black magic

Update: I was maintenance inflating the tires, and I thought the front looked very narrow even knowing it was undersized.
After pumping up, the rear (the one pictured) is now 25.1mm after some settling, so pretty accurate.
The front did measure only to 23mm, so my eye was right. I double checked the sizes printed on the sidewalls, and sure enough, the front is a 23mm :negative:
Double checked to confirm my order was for 2 x 25.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

That was exhilarating.

I did the airport trail clockwise, which meant going up a 13% grade onto the levee instead of down it (7 times!), but also meant a tailwind coming down the gentle slope off the levee onto a 1 mile flat straightaway up the west side of the airport and holy poo poo that was fun.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 27, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

learnincurve posted:

I live in Derbyshire and this is my route to the shops (which are the flat bit at the top because I left strava running). My ebikes do not do the 50-80miles advertised lol

Also OP, it’s super uncomfortable to go above 15mph if you are sat on the bike bolt upright, so if that’s her riding position then a 10mph average may be the norm.

I live at the top of a steeper hill (bit more elevation loss ... 3/4 miles) and my disc brake pads won't last 1000 miles.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
As a kid in the Peak District we used to have road bikers stop us and offer to buy our v brake pads for absolutely stupid money. I spent the profits on melody maker and NME.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Apparently the trick to a 163km ride is a really good sandwich at the half way point.

But that sandwich wasn't enough. Time to eat everything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
6 pack of beer and 6 pack of sandos, please

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Dren posted:

I have not done the C&O but some other posters have. I want to do it and in my research I’ve seen people say it’s possible to do it on road bike tires like 28’s but not recommended. If you’re ok with walking parts that are muddy you might get where you’re going. If you’re only doing parts I say go for it.

meltie posted:

If the condition is like that all the way you could ride it occasionally for fun in the dry on your current road tyres tbh!

If you wanted to have more than a taster, and go far or often, then 'gravel' isn't really just about the tyres, it's about having a frame with clearance to mount wide tyres that you run at low pressure, to give cushioning to make gravelly roads comfortable to ride.

I've ridden roads worse than that on 700x25, but the mud buildup on the frame and in the rim brake led me to eventually buy a gravel bike with wide clearances.

I'll give it a shot then. It felt a little wobbly when I tried a couple pedals last time, but this time? I've got the power of believing in myself.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

I did it friends!

I'm knackered, but I managed to pace myself fairly well. There was a headwind for most of the last 50 km that caused some intense suffering, so I'm pretty chuffed that I managed to finish it. Made it home just in time to watch the Netherlands play in the Euros too :)

:toot: excellent ride

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Last week I was in the big city (Brisbane) and had a reason to spend time in an Anaconda, a camping-and-fishing-and-related-stuff store, including bikes. This is End of Financial Year time and their clearance rack had a Shimano 3-ring crank set and a 7-gear cassette for silly low prices ($50 & $30 marked, under a sign that said "additional 20% off", from something like $120 msrp on the crank set). That's the brand and number of rings/gears I need for my Frankenbike, but I didn't pick them up because I don't know anything about what BB and what derailleurs I'll need, nor what to do about my rear wheel. And I don't know how to evaluate an open box like that, to check if parts are missing.

My Frankbike needs BB, chainring and crank, chain, 7-speed rear cassette OR freewheel (I need to learn the difference, and what I need to do), and front and rear derailleurs to get on the road again. I want to do this on the cheap, because this bike is a junkyard find and I want to learn. I am in no hurry, I have a bike I commute on and it's in good shape. The Frankenbike is my n+1.

Basically, all I know is that I need to know more. If I have a set of basic measurements - the diameter and width of the BB, something about the frame? - is there a resource I could browse to check compatibility for the next time I see some silly deal? Or, is there a recommended site (Pink Bike?) where I should just buy everything from a single seller and trust they'll fit together?

EDIT: sorry, meant to post this in the maintenance thread, but I guess my question - where do I look and learn? fits OK here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

7-speed rear cassette OR freewheel (I need to learn the difference, and what I need to do
As usual, Park has a solid video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJ3taJHOn8&t=55s
That lockring on the cassette remains the dominant securing mechanism to this day, though some new generation parts have differing lockring sizes now.
If you do have a freewheel, there's the potential waste of buying a specific tool to remove that freewheel, and then buying a different model of freewheel, and having to buy a matching tool to install it.

quote:

the diameter and width of the BB
You can start with the most likely suspect -- the BSA or English bottom bracket standard.
Edge to edge, the BB shell should measure 68mm for road bikes, 73mm for MTB.

If you have a square taper BB and a shell that measures 68/73, you've almost certainly got a English BB.
Square taper looks like this:

(the bottom bracket is partially backed out here)

From this pic of your bike which I dug up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/49837331@N06/50553647986/
Yeah, almost positive it's gonna be 68mm square taper.
You can replace like for like, going with a new square taper BB of the same length and new triple crank with the chainring sizes to match what you have (or slightly different).
I'm not sure how much stock is left for square taper BBs. While Shimano ones are excellent, they stopped making them and the pandemic probably blew through a lot. A BB is definitely something I wouldn't buy used.

So you could replace with an external cup BB for BSA + matching crank.
Here, you could do
- Shimano Hollowtech II BB + Hollowtech crankset
- FSA MegaExo BB (there's 19mm and 24mm crank spindle sizes) + FSA crank
- SRAM GXP + SRAM crank.

None of these are gonna be cheap new, though looking on Aus eBay, neither is a square taper triple.
It'd be ok to get a used crankset with newish chainrings, but riskier to get a used BB. If the BB wears out, though, it shouldn't be a hard operation to replace one while not pulling anything besides the crank.

quote:

Or, is there a recommended site (Pink Bike?) where I should just buy everything from a single seller and trust they'll fit together?
For older stuff, less likely. But the relevant concept is a groupset, which at a minimum (in my book) is the derailleurs, crank, and cassette, but can also include the brakes and shifters.
eBaying for "7 speed triple groupset" got me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353176993668?hash=item523afd3f84:g:xLcAAOSw1Aleacvw
Which isn't 7-speed, but is pretty complete. Just needs cables. A nice thing about a full groupset is that, assuming you have BB and freehub compatibility, then it doesn't matter that you're changing speeds. Just a wholesale upgrade.
I think $100 would be a good US price for a groupset that complete, and it's unlikely you'll get much lower. On the other hand, even getting good deals on the individual parts, it'll still tally up close to that figure.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
So over the last few years I've had a problem with pain in the toes and front of my feet when riding. I've tried a number of things to remedy it and am looking for suggestions on what else I might consider.

Essentially, on any ride longer than 2 hours, it comes on gradually, starting as a hot spot in the toes on the outside of my right foot and then spreading to a wider area of my forefoot. Sometimes it's just a dull pain and other times I have to stop riding, get off the bike and sit down or walk it off because the pain is such that I can no longer turn the pedals. This happens on longer rides, anything over 100km. It's super frustrating as there are often times where I feel like I have lots of energy in the legs but have to soft pedal because of the foot pain.

Today I rode 100km at a moderate pace on gravel. By about 60km, I was soft pedaling to manage the pain.

I don't see this as a bike fit issue. It manifests on two pairs of shoes (Giro Empire Road and Shimano XC5 Gravel) on three different bikes: road, gravel and mountain.

Things I've tried to do to fix it:
- wider pedals (trail pedals on both the gravel and mountain bike) to spread out the 'load' on a wider base
- loosening my shoes at the front. both pairs I wear are lace up so it's pretty easy to adjust.
- had a bike fit done by a physiotherapist with a practice that specializes in cycling. she diagnosed varus wedges for both pairs of shoes. this was about a year ago and it hasn't helped at all.

At this point, I'm pondering if there are specific brands of shoes I might consider. Or exercises? I'm guessing this is a bigger body-mechanical issue but obviously don't have expertise in this area.

Thoughts? Anything else I should consider here?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think the Varus wedge wasn't big enough or you need wider shoes. The wedge should balance your foot out so that it spreads the pressure over the ball of your foot again without compressing your outside toes with every revolution. Given you're getting crippling pain after 2 hours I think you've still got the same issue.

If possible, set up a camera to record your feet while pedaling on a static trainer. Try to pedal as normal as possible at the same exertion you would do on the road. Its very easy to soft pedal or overthink it and you don't get an accurate reflection of how you ride.

It won't be super obvious as the pedal is horizontal, but if you see bulging on the outside of the shoe (I'd suggest the Empires for this test as they're very flexible) on the downstroke you should try bigger wedges.

I'd suggest going down this route before spending money on things you might not need.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

From this pic of your bike which I dug up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/49837331@N06/50553647986/
Yeah, almost positive it's gonna be 68mm square taper.

Awesomeness. Yes, it's 68mm and it was square taper - I couldn't remember that number when I was standing in the shop, pondering the open box. The entire BB is gone now, and the crankset is badly worn out so I'll be starting with a BB and build from there, I guess. Hopefully eBay will come through for me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You know, I have a fair few embarrassing moments that say hello at 2am but at least I’ve never been hunted down by the french police so they can charge me for “unintentional short-term injury through a manifestly deliberate breach of a duty of safety or care” or been sued by the organisers of the Tour de France. which is a comfort.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

and the crankset is badly worn out so I'll be starting with a BB and build from there, I guess.

With proper installation, the things that wear on a crankset are the chainring teeth and pedal bearings/bushings.
The crank arms and spiders shouldn't wear, though they could fatigue to failure in the long run.
IOW, if the crank arm gets loose at the spindle interface, it's because it wasn't installed right.
Whether replacing 3 chainrings is cheaper than buying a whole crankset depends on what deals you get.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

learnincurve posted:

You know, I have a fair few embarrassing moments that say hello at 2am but at least I’ve never been hunted down by the french police so they can charge me for “unintentional short-term injury through a manifestly deliberate breach of a duty of safety or care” or been sued by the organisers of the Tour de France. which is a comfort.

Same.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lex Neville posted:

I did it friends!

pretty great average speed there!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I watch too many GCN video and now I really really want a bike with electronic shifting, disc brake and carbon wheels.
Please tell me I’m an idiot, i already have a 2015 bike that run fine.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Krogort posted:

I watch too many GCN video and now I really really want a bike with electronic shifting, disc brake and carbon wheels.

You're an idiot. The electronic shifting seems neato because it shifts in less than half a crank, but whyyyyy....

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krogort posted:

I have a nice 2016 bike and I bought a Venge with all those features and it’s been great. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

poemdexter posted:

You're an idiot. The electronic shifting seems neato because it shifts in less than half a crank, but whyyyyy....

It makes a cool noise OP and never having to worry about cable tension is lovely.