Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Omnicrom posted:

Episode 54: hey remember when Adventure 20 was really great week to week and had a lot of promise and potential? Man it's been a while. Still, this episode was a really on point callback to those halcyon days and not just because of who showed up. Really strong action and a story that, while simple, was still paced really well and told quite effectively.

It's a Mimi episode next week and those have consistently been very strong, so I'm pulling for Rosemon to have a better showing than Hououmon.

Obviously it's not next week to tell yet but it really seems better tailor-made to surprise us all and have an alt evolution into BanchoLillymon instead of Rosemon but with the episode count as it is, I guess there's not much choice there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If they don't even hint at that I dunno what they're doing, you have to know what people are gonna want from that set-up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

drrockso20 posted:

I remember as a kid never being able to remotely figure out how the hell the old Digimon card game was supposed to work, but then most card games besides MtG and Yugioh were mystifying to me back then, in particular I remember it took me years to figure out how the Pokemon card game was supposed to work

Ultimately I think it came down to them making things too overly complicated and trying too hard to avoid copying Magic's mechanics, meanwhile the current card game works partially because it is stealing a lot of its mechanics from another successful TCG(Duel Masters to be specific)
I don't know how to tell you this, but the old Digimon card game wasn't particularly complicated.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seiyal posted:

Obviously it's not next week to tell yet but it really seems better tailor-made to surprise us all and have an alt evolution into BanchoLillymon instead of Rosemon but with the episode count as it is, I guess there's not much choice there.

I'd be completely in favor of that as well, but you're almost certainly correct that episode count probably prevents that from happening. Maybe if the show had been on the ball more and had Rosemon show up earlier, but as it stands? I mean, she's in both the preview for the next episode and is the next Digimon analyzer segment. It's going to be Rosemon's debut.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Omnicrom posted:

I'd be completely in favor of that as well, but you're almost certainly correct that episode count probably prevents that from happening. Maybe if the show had been on the ball more and had Rosemon show up earlier, but as it stands? I mean, she's in both the preview for the next episode and is the next Digimon analyzer segment. It's going to be Rosemon's debut.
They're going to rush through the silhouettes of the Mega Digimon shown early own in the series, Taichi/Agumon got their two alternate forms and there's not that many episodes left afaik unless they're going to announce another full series after the Crest arc.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Episode 54: hey remember when Adventure 20 was really great week to week and had a lot of promise and potential? Man it's been a while. Still, this episode was a really on point callback to those halcyon days and not just because of who showed up. Really strong action and a story that, while simple, was still paced really well and told quite effectively.

This episode's opening didn't have the added SFX and used the old MetalGreymon's digievolution sequence that shows Machinedramon's silhouette. Since the only mention of the main plot is Tai's following the direction his digivice is pointing to I think this IS a repurposed old episode they couldn't slot in for whatever reason.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
It’s a shame that the analyzer is acting as a sort of “Frieza defeated”-esque spoiler vehicle. My guess is the only way we see BanchoLillymon next week is if BanchoMamemon tries to tempt Lillymon to his side and we get a 5 second what-if scene with BanchoLillymon shadowed all sinister like.

RealFoxy posted:

They're going to rush through the silhouettes of the Mega Digimon shown early own in the series, Taichi/Agumon got their two alternate forms and there's not that many episodes left afaik unless they're going to announce another full series after the Crest arc.

The next booster for the card game after the classic collection is called “Next Adventure” so we could be looking at the reboot continuing on to a second “season”.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m not so sure we’re getting a continuation of the reboot given how it’s been received, but who knows.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’m not so sure we’re getting a continuation of the reboot given how it’s been received, but who knows.

It's all basically: How much toys did it push

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Petiso posted:

This episode's opening didn't have the added SFX and used the old MetalGreymon's digievolution sequence that shows Machinedramon's silhouette. Since the only mention of the main plot is Tai's following the direction his digivice is pointing to I think this IS a repurposed old episode they couldn't slot in for whatever reason.

The opening hasn't had SFX since Millenniumon was defeated, and there was never another MetalGreymon evolution sequence. The absolute reality is that this series has no goddamn idea what pacing is and it just keeps proving this every week.

About the episode itself, it was goddamn beautiful, wow. An absolute masterpiece in animation. Lots of people worked on this one, from outside and inside Toei. I have no idea why they put such effort on a random filler episode, when actual plot-important episodes looked so much worse (hi, Mugendramon fight). The episode itself was nice, but it felt utterly pointless so late, and Agumon and Taichi shouldn't have been in it considering they added nothing to it and seemingly were there because we can't just go a single episode without the most generic leader Digimon has ever had (note: I'm talking specifically about Taichi: here, V-Taichi and Adventure Taichi were significantly better). It was also just a constant Xros Wars reference which was unexpected - Cutemon is voiced by Kuwashima Houko as he was in Xros Wars, he does the "kyu" thing, Rebellimon blatantly takes Dorulumon's role by the end (ex-bad guy from the big bad army now turned wanderer who travels alongside Cutemon) and Taichi outright said "hottokenai", channeling his predecessor Taiki.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
they succeeded in making Rebellimon look really cool

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The MetalGreymon sequence without Machinedramon is just a shortened version so there was probably just time for it here.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

I remember as a kid never being able to remotely figure out how the hell the old Digimon card game was supposed to work, but then most card games besides MtG and Yugioh were mystifying to me back then, in particular I remember it took me years to figure out how the Pokemon card game was supposed to work

Ultimately I think it came down to them making things too overly complicated and trying too hard to avoid copying Magic's mechanics, meanwhile the current card game works partially because it is stealing a lot of its mechanics from another successful TCG(Duel Masters to be specific)

it was pretty much just rock paper scissors

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elfgames posted:

it was pretty much just rock paper scissors
Rock-paper-scissors with a snowballing problem. (The winner got to stay evolved, but the loser went back to Rookie.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wasnt the ocg a completely different play experience? It lasted like...a very long time in japan so it must have had something over the american version

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel like there were five or six different rulesets for the Digimon TCG between then and now.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wasnt the ocg a completely different play experience? It lasted like...a very long time in japan so it must have had something over the american version

The Japanese card game wasn't hugely different from the American card game rules wise, the main difference was that they changed a lot of the card effects.

As for different rule sets? Well the original card game actually had two different rule sets you could play with, and there were like two or three card games between the original and the current one including an Appmon reboot of the original that use more or less the same rules but with slightly more sane card design.

Also, if you are in way too deep there's a little bit of fun in realizing that the cards shown in Digimon Tamers frequently had different effects to what was written on them in the anime. This would probably be more apparent if the cards and their effects actually mattered to the writing of Digimon Tamers.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 29, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

In the OCG, instead of counting up to 1000 points when you won, you got some taken away from your 1000 life points when you lost. Making a Mega didn't windmill slam you another 300 points for a guaranteed win, it healed you.

(I mean, first one to Mega probably won anyways, but y'know.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I remember coming up with a bootleg set of rules for the card game in elementary scho that looked a lot like Duel Masters.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

girl dick energy posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but the old Digimon card game wasn't particularly complicated.

anything is complicated if you're a stupid enough child

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The old game was overly complicated. Modern game design is much more streamlined, especially in Japan where most card games are inspired by Duel Masters in some way. Bandai tried bringing back the old ruleset for Appmon and it flopped because the rules were antiquated compared to what kids would play today

Also because Appmon was a flop

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

thetoughestbean posted:

The old game was overly complicated. Modern game design is much more streamlined, especially in Japan where most card games are inspired by Duel Masters in some way. Bandai tried bringing back the old ruleset for Appmon and it flopped because the rules were antiquated compared to what kids would play today

Also because Appmon was a flop

Which makes sense both because Duel Masters has a good set of rules/mechanics and because it is super popular in Japan, like it's held a slot in the top three TCG's in Japan pretty much the entirety of it's existence

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

I remember coming up with a bootleg set of rules for the card game in elementary scho that looked a lot like Duel Masters.

Wasn't Duel Masters literally Magic the Gathering?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonsterEnvy posted:

Essentially a simplified and sped up version at least when it first came out, which makes sense considering it was developed by WOTC's Japanese branch as a replacement for Magic(Duel Masters got it's start as a manga promoting Magic and got really popular but then they had rights issues regarding using Magic for it so rather than toss out the whole thing they just decided to make a new card game to base it around and since they're a WOTC branch they didn't have to worry about getting sued for making their new game very similar to Magic)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

MonsterEnvy posted:

Duel Masters started as a manga about Magic the Gathering in 1999, as an attempt by WotC to help reach Japanese markets. Then, they developed Duel Masters the game as a simplified version of Magic (with a few twists like a shield system inspired by Pokémon’s prize card system instead of having life) as a way to compete in the kid-oriented market in Japan, and had an anime made to help promote it in 2002 (the manga switched to the new card game in the same year). It’s still going strong in Japan but never took off in the States. They tried rebooting it in the States as Kaijudo in 2012 but I’m told that the cartoon they made was kind of bad and the card game once again didn’t take off

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Copyright is loving stupid

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Didn't the US Duel Masters get demolished by power creep?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I may only have a child's memory of it but I'm pretty sure the Duel Masters dub ruled.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Duel Masters was probably the last time you could get away with a straight-up gag dub and god it was glorious.

Richard Horvitz was in it too because this was back when Richard Horvitz did anime.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I only know about the Duel Masters dub through YouTube since DM was what the 6th graders played while the cool 8th graders like me played Yu-Gi-Oh, but it’s amazing. Joshua Seth is the voice of Shobu too if I’m remembering right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

Duel Masters was probably the last time you could get away with a straight-up gag dub and god it was glorious.

Richard Horvitz was in it too because this was back when Richard Horvitz did anime.

He did Dr. Rota in Dragon Ball Super which I think is his most recent anime role.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I went to a locals last night for the card game and went 2-1 with my Imperialdramon deck. Had a fun time trading cards, too, I was able to pick up six cards for a Mastemon deck I want to build plus a Lucemon card, which goes for seventy bucks right now because it’s going to be omnipresent in yellow decks going forward

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1410885969688117251?s=21

I really like the alternate art for Analog Kid

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
RIP Philece Sampler, the dub voice of Mimi.

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1411037913693884418

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Episode 55! Where I literally said "oh gently caress off" when Taichi showed up. Takuya and Kouji weren't as overexposed as Taichi has been in this season. It sucks even more because a) he did literally nothing this entire episode and b) this was the best Ultimate evolution in the show so far and a standout for the entire franchise and I would've loved the extra minute of screen time removing him would've brought Mimi and Rosemon. Overall it was basically the exact opposite of Sora's episode, and unsurprisingly it was incredible.

Incidentally, is this the first time in the franchise that Jijimon and Babamon were actually depicted in terms of story as being as strong as they should be? Most of their other appearances gloss over the fact that both of them are Ultimates and this episode went out of the way to make sure that was actually clear.

On the other hand, Palmon's voice did not really work for Rosemon, and Forbidden Temptation didn't look very good so that's two points for Digimon Savers.

New ending isn't bad, but the fact the back half is mostly reused footage sours it a little bit. Anyways, Cres Garurumon next week for whatever reason. There's a small chance that it being Yamato episode means that Taichi won't show up and waste time for no good reason, and Yamato has actually had a decent string of good episodes, and also the preview suggest that it's actually going to be about Cres Garurumon instead of just being randomly shoved in to steal the spotlight from another character, so who knows.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

RIP Philece Sampler, the dub voice of Mimi.
:smith:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So it seems like Adventure: may be continuing on past the planned 66 episodes:

https://withthewill.net/threads/digimon-adventure-title-change-and-or-sequel-mentioned-in-october-gacha-pre-orders.25928/

Adventure is apparently what sells the most so I guess that’s all they’re ever going to do from now on, which kind of sucks in my opinion honestly as there are other seasons that deserve some more love as well (or better yet, make something completely new again).

The current series is watchable at least but it’s kind of been up and down in terms of quality during the course of its run

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 4, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The only thing I can say is "Oh. Goodie." in that flat, annoyed way Tentomon utters that one time Izzy got far too distracted by some ruins.

Have they at least brought on a series composition director or are they still flying by the seat of their pants and trying to will this series into a remake of V Tamer?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 4, 2021

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Episode 55!
There's a small chance that it being Yamato episode means that Taichi won't show up and waste time for no good reason, and Yamato has actually had a decent string of good episodes, and also the preview suggest that it's actually going to be about Cres Garurumon instead of just being randomly shoved in to steal the spotlight from another character, so who knows.

Don't look too closely at the preview for next week's episode. You might get disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I've been procrastinating on episodes for quite a while, but I decided to catch up today and I have some thoughts about episodes 46-50 (I'm halfway through 50 while composing this)

46: Sefirotmon is a super cool concept, but while Frontier overused it to a crippling degree, here it was drastically underused. Angemon and Devimon's bit was great though.

47: I'll be honest, I skipped about half this episode, because it didn't feel like anything of actual consequence happened. No new form, no real character development, just felt like complete filler

48: The title of this episode had so much promise and then it just refused to deliver. Mugendramon was just a blank brick wall that took infinite punishment and didn't interact with the kids at all and then Taichi had to dig deeper to get a bit more courage...to force them to use their self-destruct trigger and....ugh. The writers even put in a flashback to the Mugendramon bit from the Devimon fight, but it didn't have any kind of payoff.

49: This episode also felt pretty filler-y, just killing time until Millenniummon and Taichi could return. However, Mimi's speech to Hikari and the rest of the team was awesome.

50: Goddramon and Holydramon look really really stupid. Why are they and Millenniummon the size of space stations? Why is this suddenly the end of Gurren Lagann?

More thoughts when I catch up to 55.

edit: OH poo poo THATS ZEED MILLENNIUMMON THIS poo poo JUST GOT SUPER REAL
.....is that a Spirit Bomb? Are they really doing this? Did they really introduce two new Megas just to give the final shot to Taichi?

there's still SIXTEEN episodes after this?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 5, 2021