Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I need a 6-8 quart pot and an 8" saute pan that are induction friendly. What's the frequently recommended brand?

This tax is even better because it's a stock photo

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The short answer is any decent tri-ply.

I like all-clad but it’s got a premium price tag.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Triple ply technology is the great equalizer. Low end cheap pans with triple ply are great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://invisacook.com/the-invisacook/

Huh, induction ranges that hide under a stone countertop

Looks really cool but I’d be worried that someone might not know when a pot is hot if it’s sitting on the counter

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

https://invisacook.com/the-invisacook/

Huh, induction ranges that hide under a stone countertop

Looks really cool but I’d be worried that someone might not know when a pot is hot if it’s sitting on the counter
The idea of not knowing exactly where they're positioned bothers me.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

mystes posted:

The idea of not knowing exactly where they're positioned bothers me.

Yeah, it’s a neat idea but no visual feedback is inconvenient at best, dangerous at worst.

I have some relatives who got a brand new kitchen that replaced all the drawers and cupboard doors with a blank surface that opens if you push it in the right spot. Looks neat!

Issues:
-Some of the cupboards open on the right instead of the left, pushing on the wrong side does nothing. Got to memorize all the doors.
-It’s possible to bump the drawers open if you brush the right spot with a knee or thigh. I’m constantly opening random drawers whenever I lean in over the counter to chop veggies.
-Fingerprints.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, it’s a neat idea but no visual feedback is inconvenient at best, dangerous at worst.

I have some relatives who got a brand new kitchen that replaced all the drawers and cupboard doors with a blank surface that opens if you push it in the right spot. Looks neat!

Issues:
-Some of the cupboards open on the right instead of the left, pushing on the wrong side does nothing. Got to memorize all the doors.
-It’s possible to bump the drawers open if you brush the right spot with a knee or thigh. I’m constantly opening random drawers whenever I lean in over the counter to chop veggies.
-Fingerprints.

It's the Minority Report Computer Interface of cupboards. Looks cool but completely impractical to use.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

.Z. posted:

Nope, gotta buy the $13 sleeve for that.

I'll wait for the thermapen onetwo then

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It’ll be a standard feature in the Thermapen One Series X.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

What are good high end fridges? I'm remodeling my kitchen. I had planned to keep my old cheap fridge until it died and then get a good one, but my contractor says that if I'm going to get a high end fridge I may as well do it now and match the cabinets to it rather than guessing and fitting it in with trim later.

Right now I have a Samsung, which works fine but they have a reputation for seizing compressors and having no available replacement parts. Also it sticks way out past the counter depth. My contractor said the more expensive fridges give you the same cubic feet with less depth, so they fit flush with the cabinets.

I know sub zero is one of the brands, what else is out there? What's worth getting and long lasting?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
High end appliance center near me does guides, which include 1st year service metrics: https://www.yaleappliance.com/kitchen/refrigeration-appliances/counter-depth/

They also have a YouTube channel which they post fairly informative stuff too sometimes.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Murgos posted:

High end appliance center near me does guides, which include 1st year service metrics: https://www.yaleappliance.com/kitchen/refrigeration-appliances/counter-depth/

They also have a YouTube channel which they post fairly informative stuff too sometimes.

Thanks for the link!

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Meat slicer/deli slicer recommendations?

I'm starting a business selling bacon. It's a simple 1-person company smoking whole pork bellies and slicing them for sale. I've never owned a deli slicer before.

I won't be using the slicer every day. Once a week, I'll slice three pork bellies (about 15 pounds each) into slices between 1/16 and 1/4 inch thick.

Because this is a startup, cheaper is better. But I'll pay extra for good quality.

There are "Chef's Choice" slicers that cost a little over $100. Then there are Hobart slicers that start at $1,500 (and go up to five figures). Can you help me choose something?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bagheera posted:

I'm starting a business selling bacon. It's a simple 1-person company smoking whole pork bellies and slicing them for sale. I've never owned a deli slicer before.

I won't be using the slicer every day. Once a week, I'll slice three pork bellies (about 15 pounds each) into slices between 1/16 and 1/4 inch thick.

Because this is a startup, cheaper is better. But I'll pay extra for good quality.

There are "Chef's Choice" slicers that cost a little over $100. Then there are Hobart slicers that start at $1,500 (and go up to five figures). Can you help me choose something?

I asked about this same thing awhile back and never got any recs, so I’d like an answer to this too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd drop $5 on the Cooking Issues Patreon and ask him. Nobody does prosumer and pro equipment opinions like Dave Arnold. He will likely also throw in obscure advice on smoking 3 pork bellies at a time from that one time he ran a smoking 3 pork bellies at a time workshop or something.

A little annoying they started only taking questions from Patrons but they got screwed out of 6 months of Amazon sales of their Searzall so I don't mind.

I just joined and asked a question of my own. If you like I can wait a week and ask yours.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 28, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd drop $5 on the Cooking Issues Patreon and ask him. Nobody does prosumer and pro equipment opinions like Dave Arnold. He will likely also throw in obscure advice on smoking 3 pork bellies at a time from that one time he ran a smoking 3 pork bellies at a time workshop or something.

A little annoying they started only taking questions from Patrons but they got screwed out of 6 months of Amazon sales of their Searzall so I don't mind.

I just joined and asked a question of my own. If you like I can wait a week and ask yours.

I’m down with this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Gonna join too. I’ve gained too much free knowledge from him

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bagheera posted:

my folks have a home one that might work for that level. I'll try to remember to ask them... ping me in here if I don't post on the morrow.

I've got a buddy who owns a bakery/deli I can ask if you need something more industrial.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bagheera posted:

Do not get the chef’s choice. I have one, and I’m glad that I got it, but it will absolutely not turn out a professional product.

The slide is too short for most bellies, especially ones the size you’re talking about. It also doesn’t perfectly slice the bottom of a belly, even with the nonserrated blade. It leaves a little flap, that gets bigger every slice. If I am making something that I want to impress, I have to flip whatever it is over after every slice to avoid the weird flap issue. You are not going to want to do this for 3 whole bellies.

It is also MUCH slower than any commercial slicer I have ever used.

Again, I’m happy I got it, but I use it for relatively small projects, maybe 3 times per year. I cannot imagine doing 3 bellies a week on it and not wanting to quit.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sous Videodrome posted:

What are good high end fridges? I'm remodeling my kitchen. I had planned to keep my old cheap fridge until it died and then get a good one, but my contractor says that if I'm going to get a high end fridge I may as well do it now and match the cabinets to it rather than guessing and fitting it in with trim later.

Right now I have a Samsung, which works fine but they have a reputation for seizing compressors and having no available replacement parts. Also it sticks way out past the counter depth. My contractor said the more expensive fridges give you the same cubic feet with less depth, so they fit flush with the cabinets.

I know sub zero is one of the brands, what else is out there? What's worth getting and long lasting?
My parents have a built in sub zero, I really dislike it, the door has trouble closing on its own but requires a ridiculous amount of force to open for some reason. Plus, drawer freezers are really irritating to me. I have a side by side KitchenAid fridge and I love it. It looks cool as hell, tons of room, well organized.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Refrigerators/Single-Door-Refrigerator/FPRU19F8WF/

Works even better if you have the space to go side-by-side with the matching freezer (we didn't, they're in different legs of our L-shaped kitchen). Love mine to death.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Bagheera posted:

You could probably get a used Hobart or any NSF-grade meat slicer for like $500 due to all the failing businesses.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

halokiller posted:

You could probably get a used Hobart or any NSF-grade meat slicer for like $500 due to all the failing businesses.

The are all over ebay for $250-500 depending on the vintage of them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

Do not get the chef’s choice. I have one, and I’m glad that I got it, but it will absolutely not turn out a professional product.

The slide is too short for most bellies, especially ones the size you’re talking about. It also doesn’t perfectly slice the bottom of a belly, even with the nonserrated blade. It leaves a little flap, that gets bigger every slice. If I am making something that I want to impress, I have to flip whatever it is over after every slice to avoid the weird flap issue. You are not going to want to do this for 3 whole bellies.

It is also MUCH slower than any commercial slicer I have ever used.

Again, I’m happy I got it, but I use it for relatively small projects, maybe 3 times per year. I cannot imagine doing 3 bellies a week on it and not wanting to quit.

I had a Kitchenaid brand (I think) slicer that did that weird flap thing. It also produced a surprising amount of meat sawdust essentially, and cleaning it always felt like I was millimeters from grave injury. I never felt like it saved me time over slicing by hand because of the time spent carefully cleaning it afterwards. The tradeoff for slightly better consistency in slice thickness really wasn't worth it for me.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Wait, I haven't seen an episode in my podcast app for like two months... did the podcast go Patreon only?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Thumposaurus posted:

The are all over ebay for $250-500 depending on the vintage of them.
The pro move here is Craigslist and not having to worry about shipping

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

captkirk posted:

Wait, I haven't seen an episode in my podcast app for like two months... did the podcast go Patreon only?

No, just search for it again. They created a new feed for ~reasons~. I think they may have spent 30 seconds total mentioning it on the last episode, but I too didn't notice until I asked my question via email and watched out for a new episode which never came.

I figured I had accidentally unsubscribed until I listened and they talked a bit more about the switch, where they said for some reason they can't go back to the other feed to release a 30 second "come to the new feed" thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Has anyone used the sous vide function on the newer Instant Pots? Wondering how well it did

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

captkirk posted:

They had to leave Heritage Radio and now they’re at another network, the old show was called Cooking Issues, the new one is called Cooking Issues with Dave Arnold. The new separate feed has half a dozen episodes

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That’s all news to me. I had listened to every episode up until this year, his cohost got so bitter during the pandemic that it was actually really pretty miserable to listen to and I fell way behind. Last I was listening to it they were still talking about your poem Steve.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My parents have a built in sub zero, I really dislike it, the door has trouble closing on its own but requires a ridiculous amount of force to open for some reason. Plus, drawer freezers are really irritating to me. I have a side by side KitchenAid fridge and I love it. It looks cool as hell, tons of room, well organized.

I have a side by side 48” Sub-Zero that we put in during our remodel last fall. No complaints so far.

We have no door problems. They work like a normal fridge.

When I was doing research pretty much everybody said to go SZ or try out True who are big in commercial and moving into home fridges.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have the same issues with sub zero. Relatives have one and the door requires an annoying amount of force to open. I also dislike drawer freezers. I'm just thinking if I spend a lot of money on a fridge, and I open it 5-10 times a day, I don't want to be irritated by it every single time every day. It sounds like it's a universal problem with sub zeros and it's just part of the design.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks for the advice (and to others). I'll check him out.

My biggest problem is the carriage size. Whether a blade is 8, 10, or 12 inches in size, it seems all the deli slicers can only cut items 9 or 10 inches wide. Most pork bellies (and most bacon) is 11 or 12 inches wide. Even this $7,000 13-inch Hobart slicer can cut up to 10.75 inches.

Hmm, maybe I need to look at something other than a deli slicer. I wonder if there are dedicated bacon slicers.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I did a quick search and it seems they exist

https://youtu.be/5B6gIPMSoEc

E: lmfao at each of the three comments on this video. They're each perfect in their own way.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Re: Slicing bacon. Something just occurred to me: What if I put the pork belly on its side?

A pork belly is about 12 inches wide by 1 inch tall (with varying lengths). I've been thinking of laying the belly flat and sliding it across the rotating blade. The tray that slides the bacon back and forth would have to move 12 inches to cover the whole width on the belly.

What if I set the pork belly on its side, so it's 1 inch wide and 12 inches tall? Assuming I have a 12 inch diameter blade, the try would only have to slide 1 inch back and forth. Now, the side edge of the try is usually just a few inches tall; I'd have to rig up some kind of guard to support the belly...

Does this sound like an interesting idea....or a good way to lose a finger?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Unless the belly is pretty darn close to rock hard frozen, it’s going to warp on the travel and the cut, leaving you with wavy uneven thickness.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bagheera posted:

Hmm, maybe I need to look at something other than a deli slicer. I wonder if there are dedicated bacon slicers.

Man up, sharpen up a knife and learn to have a steady hand.

Alternatively, table saw.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Murgos posted:

Man up, sharpen up a knife and learn to have a steady hand.

Maybe instead he could create a wooden jig that would make it easier to cut uniformly with a knife or just buy a manual meat slicer, but three pork bellies a week is going to be pretty time consuming, imo.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

1redflag posted:

Maybe instead he could create a wooden jig that would make it easier to cut uniformly with a knife or just buy a manual meat slicer, but three pork bellies a week is going to be pretty time consuming, imo.

Maybe one of those paper cutters? You know the big green table looking things with the grid and giant lever action blade?

Get the belly just this side of frozen and then 'schnikkkt'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

One of those egg slicers, but for pork belly