Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They regularly come up here as good options, so yes, I think you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Anyone know what kind of air blower/gun, for lack of a better description, is used by the dryer vent cleaning people? The guy showed up at my place with a handheld thing that plugged into a wall outlet and looked a bit like this:

but I'm pretty confident it was a much more powerful version. I can't imagine that janky-looking thing could in a single shot dislodge a bunch of lint buildup over a length of something like 40 feet.

The service cost me $150 so I'm curious how much the device itself might be.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That looks like a job site blower, like a leaf blower but more precise. I think all the brands make one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Trabant posted:

Anyone know what kind of air blower/gun, for lack of a better description, is used by the dryer vent cleaning people? The guy showed up at my place with a handheld thing that plugged into a wall outlet and looked a bit like this:

but I'm pretty confident it was a much more powerful version. I can't imagine that janky-looking thing could in a single shot dislodge a bunch of lint buildup over a length of something like 40 feet.

I got my father one of those cheapos for blowing sawdust out of the garage in lieu of using the full sized leaf blower and they're not bad. I think it was about 30 bucks.

Essentially this but with a different brand name but it looks identical and you can see they sell them with 3.5A, 5A, 10A, and 15A versions but the latter two are a bit bigger:
https://smile.amazon.com/Toolman-Corded-Electric-Sweeper-Accessories/dp/B07MTQ3Y1J/

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lee Valley Tools makes great gardening tools. Can I trust the quality of their woodworking tools?

Yes. They occasionally will drop a clanger with cheap plastic poo poo that belongs in Walmart or something that works better on paper that in real life but their return policy is excellent. Most of my favourite ww hand tools either came from Lee Valley or estate sales (or estates of someone who shopped at Lee Valley).

I don't lust after their Festool power tool line after AvE dissected the track saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezp-_DcUgg

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yes, they make the truly excellent Veritas line of woodworking tools. I'm sure their house brand import stuff is at worst acceptable.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lee Valley Tools makes great gardening tools. Can I trust the quality of their woodworking tools?

Are you kidding? For real, did I miss a joke?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Verman posted:

That looks like a job site blower, like a leaf blower but more precise. I think all the brands make one.

Rexxed posted:

I got my father one of those cheapos for blowing sawdust out of the garage in lieu of using the full sized leaf blower and they're not bad. I think it was about 30 bucks.

Essentially this but with a different brand name but it looks identical and you can see they sell them with 3.5A, 5A, 10A, and 15A versions but the latter two are a bit bigger:
https://smile.amazon.com/Toolman-Corded-Electric-Sweeper-Accessories/dp/B07MTQ3Y1J/

They do look similar to what I remember seeing, but those strike me as low-powered leaf blowers. Does that sound powerful enough to push air through something like 50 feet of duct?

My dummy reasoning is that something meant to blow through a bunch of dryer vent line would need to produce one big gust of air rather than a sustained, lower-pressure wind. That's why I figured this machine is somehow specialized. Then again, I don't know how such a device could even exist without a pressure tank involved.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Trabant posted:

They do look similar to what I remember seeing, but those strike me as low-powered leaf blowers. Does that sound powerful enough to push air through something like 50 feet of duct?

One rated at 3A probably not. One rated at 10A is going to move a SHITLOAD of air. Like, a lot.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd like to just sing the praises of my Ryobi Brushless Recip Saw.. it's fuckin baller and everyone should own one. Needed to take down a railing on my deck today.. ripped through 4x4's super easy, cut 2x4's like butter. i've used it to take down bushes, distroy the rest of the other deck, cut nails off of stuff to make it safe for garbage, it just keeps handling poo poo. The ONLY limitation I've had was overheat protection when I was using it to take out a bush in direct sun on a 90 degree day. Using it for 5 mins to cut out roots in the dirt and stuff resulted in a thermal shutdown for the battery or device.. after a little bit of time it went back to operational.

This is my story thanks for listening.

It's not this but like this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-Cordless-Reciprocating-Saw-Tool-Only-PBLRS01B/314109589#overlay

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mds2 posted:

Are you kidding? For real, did I miss a joke?

I garden. I have never done any woodworking. I'm trying to start, and I needed opinions from people who knew tools.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I garden. I have never done any woodworking. I'm trying to start, and I needed opinions from people who knew tools.

They are great and you get what you pay for, but they are expensive. There are some decent-ish import brands and also fixing up old tools is an okay option. You might get more specific answers about woodworking tools in the woodworking thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They are great and you get what you pay for, but they are expensive. There are some decent-ish import brands and also fixing up old tools is an okay option. You might get more specific answers about woodworking tools in the woodworking thread.

Oh! I didn't realize this was just the power tools thread.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Trabant posted:

Leaf blowers will work a little, but you really need to involve a brush to dislodge the sticky lint clumps in the vents. I use one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Holikme-Cleaning-Remover-Fireplace-Synthetic/dp/B07SQYX2FH

You attach it to a cordless drill and slowly insert the brush while spinning, attaching more extensions as you go. Use the leaf blower periodically while brushing (remove the brush) to blow out anything that has been dislodged.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ok, cool. Lee valley sells Veritas hand tools for woodworking. They are very high quality. I have a few of their planes and hand saws and cant recommend them highly enough.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not officially, but the guys who will argue about planes tend to watch the woodworking thread more closely than this one.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

B-Nasty posted:

Leaf blowers will work a little, but you really need to involve a brush to dislodge the sticky lint clumps in the vents. I use one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Holikme-Cleaning-Remover-Fireplace-Synthetic/dp/B07SQYX2FH

You attach it to a cordless drill and slowly insert the brush while spinning, attaching more extensions as you go. Use the leaf blower periodically while brushing (remove the brush) to blow out anything that has been dislodged.

The kit I bought had an end cap with a little port for the rod and spinning brush and a port for a blower or vacuum so you could spin the brush and blow at the same time. It worked really well, though next time I might just duct tape my leaf blower to the vent at the dryer end and blow it out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Slugworth posted:

It's not officially, but the guys who will argue about planes tend to watch the woodworking thread more closely than this one.

a treadmill of plane arguments

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This thread covers pretty much all hand tools and all smaller (non-professional) power tools. So you can ask about most things here, but if you want a really expert opinion, full of inside baseball, you find the thread(s) where the subject matter experts hang out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

canyoneer posted:

a threadmill of plane arguments

FTFY

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's a thread chock full of tools.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

It's a thread chock full of tools.

The real tools were the tools you met along the way

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The real tools were the tools you met along the way

Hi.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I wrecked a Philips drill bit today while removing ~100 screws the POs had all over the basement and garage. More than half of the locations of the screws didn't even make any sense!

Borrowed my friend's Ryobi, and I saw his whole stash of different tools from the One+ line... think I'm gonna follow his lead :snoop:

Plus that lime green is an awesome colour!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

I wrecked a Philips drill bit today while removing ~100 screws

FYI, your life will improve when you realize those are consumables and just buy them in 5 or 10 packs. As soon as they start looking shiny and long before they start camming out just throw it in the trash and put a new one in there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

FYI, your life will improve when you realize those are consumables and just buy them in 5 or 10 packs. As soon as they start looking shiny and long before they start camming out just throw it in the trash and put a new one in there.

Yeah, I kinda figured. I have 3/4 more Phillips bits from various sets, just never broken one before! I feel like it's a right of passage :fella:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

You just made that up.

B-Nasty posted:

I used one of those in conjunction with a shop vac taped to the outlet to clear out one of my wife's friend's dryer vents. Worked really well.

I'm not allowed to do handyman work for my wife's friends anymore though, since two of them have died shortly after I helped them out with a few things...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm not allowed to do handyman work for my wife's friends anymore though, since two of them have died shortly after I helped them out with a few things...

This is why you let professionals handle asbestos abatement.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Literally A Person posted:

And pesticide applications.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

They said "shortly after" not "decades later"

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
They both died of known health issues, so it's not like anything I did affected their health.

One had a heart attack on stage while singing karaoke, and the other passed after complications from surgery.

It's just the fact that they both died shortly after I did handyman work for them. Bad juju.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

next week

next week I get a miter saw :getin:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I. M. Gei posted:

next week

next week I get a miter saw :getin:

Well???

DISH!!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

…… umm… next week is when I’ll have enough money to afford one

and I think that’s it. it’s not a very interesting story tbh

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I. M. Gei posted:

…… umm… next week is when I’ll have enough money to afford one

and I think that’s it. it’s not a very interesting story tbh

Well, you could start with brand, model, how many amps it pulls, does it compound miter, come with a stand, does it have a laser. We WANT to know.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
drat IT TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SAW YOU'RE GETTING drat IT

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well, you could start with brand, model, how many amps it pulls, does it compound miter, come with a stand, does it have a laser. We WANT to know.

drat IT TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SAW YOU'RE GETTING drat IT

oh right, that

I’m getting this one. the DeWalt DWS780. 15 amps, compound/dual miter, doesn’t come with a stand but I’ve already got a Ridgid miter saw stand that a bunch of goons itt recommended

lately we’ve been having some financial issues and I haven’t been able to afford a whole lot. like I couldn’t even afford a DWS779 which is literally the same saw minus the laser guide, despite it being $200 cheaper, but next week I’ll have enough cash to get either one so I’m getting the one with the laser guide cuz I hear it’s good and why the gently caress not :toot:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 30, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I. M. Gei posted:

oh right, that

I’m getting this one. the DeWalt DWS780

lately we’ve been having some financial issues and I haven’t been able to afford a whole lot. like I couldn’t even afford a DWS779 which is literally the same saw minus the laser guide, despite it being $200 cheaper, but next week I’ll have enough cash to get either one so I’m getting the one with the guide cuz I hear it’s good and why the gently caress not :toot:

OOooooo. Juicy choice. I've always been on Team Blue (makita) but the few dewalt tools I have in my shop are all awesome af.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I. M. Gei posted:

oh right, that

I’m getting this one. the DeWalt DWS780. 15 amps, compound/dual miter, doesn’t come with a stand but I’ve already got a Ridgid miter saw stand that a bunch of goons itt recommended

lately we’ve been having some financial issues and I haven’t been able to afford a whole lot. like I couldn’t even afford a DWS779 which is literally the same saw minus the laser guide, despite it being $200 cheaper, but next week I’ll have enough cash to get either one so I’m getting the one with the laser guide cuz I hear it’s good and why the gently caress not :toot:
The laser will come in handy so rarely that I feel compelled to tell you to spend that 200 bucks on literally anything else. It's not bad per se, it's just... 99 percent of the time, the best way to check if your cut is lined up will be to simply gently press the blade against the workpiece before cutting. I feel like even if I had a laser, it's how I would still make every cut, rather than trusting a laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah my dude save 200 bones and skip the laser, you'll always be better off striking a pencil line and sneaking up on the perfect cut rather than trying to hit your line first try.

My question: I'm this close to buying the Ryobi 40v 18" chainsaw. I already have a bunch of 40v batteries. Mostly looking to buck up urban tree falls for woodturning blanks, so nothing too major. Anyone have any dire reasons to get something else? I really don't want to deal with gas if I don't absolutely have to (like if a Stihl fell in my lap).