Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween (2007)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween: H20
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween: Resurrection

Also I’ll co-sign 3 From Hell being better than Halloween III, and will go ahead and say it’s better than any Halloween movie past the original if we’re going there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Definitive Halloween list:

H20
Resurrection
RZ Halloween
RZ Other Halloween
Halloween Kills
Halloween Ends

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Halloween '78
Halloween '18
Zombie's Halloween II
Halloween II
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Zombie's Halloween
Halloween: H20
Halloween 4
Halloween 6
Halloween 5
Halloween: Resurrection

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone watch Caveat on Shudder? Goddamn terrible. How is this 83% on RT?

I'll give it a few points for effort though. it was shot and directed pretty well and the cast was decent. It could have been good if the script wasn't so stupid. it was almost impossible not to tap out the second he agreed to put the harness on and generally I am pretty generous with my suspension of disbelief in horror movies. From there on out it was pretty much "the adventures of the dumbest man on earth"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I didn't mind it! but it took too long to get to the very creepy visual of ghost mom eyeballs popping out from behind things

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Halloween rankings are harder than say F13 rankings cause those have tiers that come pretty evenly spread at like 3-4 films each. Halloween its like one masterpiece and then a handful of mediocre and straight to atrocious. Nothing ever hits the S-tier high of 78 but nothing hits the low of Curse or Rez either.

Season of the Witch
H20
Halloween 2
Halloween 4
Robert Zombie 2
Halloween 5
Robert Zombie 1
Halloween 6
Resurrection

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Halloween '78
Halloween '18
Zombie Halloween 2
Halloween H20
Season of the Witch
Halloween 4
Halloween 2
Zombie Halloween
Halloween 5
Resurrection
Halloween 6

flashy_mcflash posted:

It sounds like they tried and have kept trying to work with women directors. They're backing Gigi Shaul Guerrero's new one IIRC.
Yes, they got better at it, but it was still rather lovely.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As it turns out, the real Halloween ranking was the friends you lose along the way.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Movies I would rewatch:

III

Movies I would rewatch, but not go out of my way for:

RZ1

Movies I never want to watch again:

RZ2

Haven’t seen 2, H20, or Resurrection and I’m not super motivated to change that

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Haven’t seen 2, H20, or Resurrection and I’m not super motivated to change that

I think people are too hard on Halloween II(original, not Zombie). If you're someone who loves Halloween, there's really no reason not to seek out and watch 2 because it's shot by Dean Cundey and it's an extremely direct sequel so you're picking up right where the first left off. I dunno, I just don't have any major complaints about it other than that it's not as good as the original. But if Halloween is a 10/10, I think Halloween II definitely should be considered a solid 7/10, and generally people don't seem to regard it that way. It gets a lot of undeserved poo poo imo.

Maybe it's because I grew up watching the Halloween series on cable, and it was rare that the first two films weren't shown back to back. So for me they're almost like one complete film where the first half is better than the second half. But Cundey's cinematography acts as a very strong through-line that connects the two films.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yeah 2 is a solid slasher I think, it's just weak when compared to the original. The only Halloween movies I wouldn't care to watch again are 4 and 5. 4 is OK but feels like a rehash of 1/2 to me and I didn't care for 5 at all. 6 and Resurrection are not great but I think they're fun enough that I could see myself putting them on when I'm in the mood for some goofy 90s nostalgia. Resurrection was the first Halloween movie I saw in the theater so I have a soft spot for it.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Since we're all doing it...

Good tier
RZ 2
RZ 1

Acceptable tier
H20

Bad tier
Resurrection

For what it's worth, I enjoy 4 as feeling very time-and-place for 1988, at least on the Jamie side of things, from what I remember of that year (I was only 5 then). It's still not that good of a movie on its own merits, though. And H20 is fine, but it does feel more like a Scream retread with the serial numbers filed off then a proper sequel to Halloween, at least until the last 20 minutes or so. Original 2 has a great opening and ending, but I don't care abut the stuff in the middle, and the bottom 3 are all pretty much interchangeably dire garbage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never watched Zombie's Halloween because he's a very specific type of filmmaker and I just didn't think it would mesh with what I loved about Halloween. Looking at the very polarized opinions on his films in these lists is confirming my view.

Tyler Mane as Michael was a stroke of genius, though. That guy rules. He's so much more than just a big guy, he really does have the presence to go with it.

From the Kill Count videos I've been watching though, it sounds like Zombie was kept on a leash for the first film, and my GF was also telling me how much she liked it and she can't watch horror films at all. I might give it a try.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I never watched Zombie's Halloween because he's a very specific type of filmmaker and I just didn't think it would mesh with what I loved about Halloween. Looking at the very polarized opinions on his films in these lists is confirming my view.

Tyler Mane as Michael was a stroke of genius, though. That guy rules. He's so much more than just a big guy, he really does have the presence to go with it.

From the Kill Count videos I've been watching though, it sounds like Zombie was kept on a leash for the first film, and my GF was also telling me how much she liked it and she can't watch horror films at all. I might give it a try.

The main point of contention with Zombie's Michael is that he spends the whole first act showing Michael as a kid and the events leading up to the first murders. Some people like it, some people hate it.

I've always thought it's odd though how some people will say "I liked Michael in the first film because he's this mysterious force of nature who's motives can't really be understood", because for me in the original Halloween Michael is at his most mundane and he's the easiest to understand then before the sequels get into all the family stuff and the Cult of Thorns stuff. He's a disturbed, violent murderer who escapes an asylum and goes on a killing spree. That's it. I think Zombie recognized the basic humanity of Michael in Carpenter's original and chose to make that the core of his version, and I have a hard time seeing how that wasn't the correct decision given how bogged down some of the previous sequels had become with the other stuff.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

that makes me wanna watch it

It has a very elaborate onscreen castration so it’s actually required viewing in this thread

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah he goes in a different direction with it by going all-in on the backstory. As a remake I think that’s fine; no point in doing the same thing again. Michael is more of a Jason Voorhees in this movie but restraint isn’t really RZ’s forte. I thought H1 was OK.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It’s again going to come down to how you feel about Bobby Zed’s style cause yes you see the childhood but it’s entirely loud, yelling, white trash. It’s what you should expect but I find it unwatchable.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gunna watch a quiet place 2 today. see how that turned out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

weekly font posted:

it’s entirely loud, yelling, white trash

If you take out the psychopathy and murder, it's exactly like my childhood!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm watching Halloween 6 for the first time right now.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone watch Caveat on Shudder? Goddamn terrible. How is this 83% on RT?

I'll give it a few points for effort though. it was shot and directed pretty well and the cast was decent. It could have been good if the script wasn't so stupid. it was almost impossible not to tap out the second he agreed to put the harness on and generally I am pretty generous with my suspension of disbelief in horror movies. From there on out it was pretty much "the adventures of the dumbest man on earth"

It was a weird viewing experience for me; I enjoyed lots of pieces of it individually and they put in a little work to explain why this guy is so dumb, but once you know what the full story is it's really disappointing. Here's my pitch to make it a vastly better movie while requiring near-zero changes: The mom is a vampire instead of a ghost. This is why they shot her in the first place and why she becomes more active once the crossbow bolt is pulled out; they hosed up and didn't finish with the decapitation and garlic stuffing. Main dude agrees to poo poo because he got himself thralled on the first visit and has a compulsion he does not understand to go help her. This is extra frustrating to me because it almost works as a read on what's in the film as presented.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm watching Halloween 6 for the first time right now.

I'll go to bat for Halloween six. It's not as good as the earlier ones but it has some decent kills, Paul Rudd is fine, and and Donald pleasence is Great as always though you can tell he was deteriorating.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

weekly font posted:

It’s again going to come down to how you feel about Bobby Zed’s style cause yes you see the childhood but it’s entirely loud, yelling, white trash. It’s what you should expect but I find it unwatchable.

I’m not a fan of RZ’s films but I could stand that one, I dunno. Maybe it’s because I hadn’t watched a lot of the other ones.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I’m not a fan of RZ’s films but I could stand that one, I dunno. Maybe it’s because I hadn’t watched a lot of the other ones.

The amount of obnoxious white trash stuff in the movie is overstated I think. It's pretty much centered around one particular character, his mother's boyfriend, and he has all of like two scenes before Michael does what Michael does.

His relationship with his mother is handled really well and it pays off in the sequel.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

The main point of contention with Zombie's Michael is that he spends the whole first act showing Michael as a kid and the events leading up to the first murders. Some people like it, some people hate it.

Just considering the first film, I can understand why some people don't like it even though I think it's a great choice. It's not really clear why this whole extended first act exists when the rest of the film is just a more violent remake of 1978.

The second film justifies it completely imo. The thematic destination was always an unflinchingly brutal look at acts of violence spreading trauma like a disease and the different ways people react to it. Michael's violent upbringing blooms outward into this nightmare that kills a fairly small number of people but completely changes the lives of everyone it touches, in mostly horrible ways. I don't think the gut punch scene of Brad Dourif's sheriff discovering his daughter's body works nearly as well without that connection back to what made Michael a killer.

I think that's why the Zombieweens are such good "remakes" because they're using the same basic story to explore very different themes than the original which for me is much more about the facade of security in suburban life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zombieween captures how nasty teenage girls are in terms of what they say. You think boys only talk about shittin and fuckin??? Think again!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Theres an argument to be made about if the theatrical cut or the producer’s cut of Curse of Michael Meyers is superior, but the correct answer is they both suck out loud.

CelticPredator posted:

Zombieween captures how nasty teenage girls are in terms of what they say. You think boys only talk about shittin and fuckin??? Think again!

lol

The dialogue just a sliver of why, but I kinda forgot how much I don’t like the new Laurie Strode across both movies.

Edit: the uh old new Laurie Strode I suppose. Compound prepper Jamie Lee is fun.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 28, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Theres an argument to be made about if the theatrical cut or the producer’s cut of Curse of Michael Meyers is superior, but the correct answer is they both suck out loud.

I come down on the side of Producer's Cut being clearly better just because it actually leans into the cult stuff and you at least get a somewhat more coherent version of that storyline instead of just being stuck in-between. It's still not good though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Basebf555 posted:

I come down on the side of Producer's Cut being clearly better just because it actually leans into the cult stuff and you at least get a somewhat more coherent version of that storyline instead of just being stuck in-between. It's still not good though.

One of them has a head explosion and the other does not so I side squarely with whichever one does.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
H6 at least hits the fall/Halloween season feel really well.

Also the original Halloween 2 is better than 18 overall, sorry, but that whole babysitter sequence in 2018 is the best Halloween thing since the original by far. That should've been the whole movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

NikkolasKing posted:

I never watched Zombie's Halloween because he's a very specific type of filmmaker and I just didn't think it would mesh with what I loved about Halloween.

If you’ve seen Halloween 2018, that one was actually very heavily influenced by Zombie’s Halloween 1 - and many people obviously loved it. Zombie’s Halloween is divisive simply because Laurie isn’t the protagonist.

The whole suspense aspect of Carpenter’s, where you wait for Laurie to learn that there’s a random perv on the loose!!!, is replaced with a character study of Myers as lawless misanthrope who reaches out to Laurie for what he perceives as totally valid reasons. You can think of it almost like a slasher version of Falling Down, with Jason Voorhees in place of the Michael Douglas character. This is made even more interesting because Zombie incorporates the brother-sister thing.

As you can see in the thread, Zombie’s Halloween 2 is ranked very highly - but I’d say that’s because it’s really just Zombie going in and just reiterating the thesis of his Halloween 1 for people who didn’t get it the first time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rzh2 also has some killer imagery

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The amount of obnoxious white trash stuff in the movie is overstated I think. It's pretty much centered around one particular character, his mother's boyfriend, and he has all of like two scenes before Michael does what Michael does.

His relationship with his mother is handled really well and it pays off in the sequel.
Halloween 2 is a solid slasher and probably objectively better than some of the stuff I ranked above it, but I think I've just gotten more bored with it over the years. I've grown colder on the sister twist and I think the lack of Halloween-ness hurts it. It's for me almost the exact opposite of Part 3 which my mom suggested I skip when I was going through my tween horror binges. It was something I saw in tandem and on equal footing of the original, but it's just continually lost its luster over the years. 4, 3, and H20 all have stuff that resonates with me more despite overall not being as good. Honestly, I think i'd rank 4 a bit higher if the mask wasn't trash. I think '18 and ZH2 are both actually better and ZH1 probably in a virtual tie.

Also my friendly reminder that Halloween has 5 timelines which is kind of insane.

The OG 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 timeline
The '18 timeline of 1, '18 and the upcoming sequels
The H20 timeline of 1, 2, and H20
The Part 3 standalone timeline where Halloween is a fictional film
The Zombie remake timeline

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you’ve seen Halloween 2018, that one was actually very heavily influenced by Zombie’s Halloween 1 - and many people obviously loved it. Zombie’s Halloween is divisive simply because Laurie isn’t the protagonist.

The whole suspense aspect of Carpenter’s, where you wait for Laurie to learn that there’s a random perv on the loose!!!, is replaced with a character study of Myers as lawless misanthrope who reaches out to Laurie for what he perceives as totally valid reasons. You can think of it almost like a slasher version of Falling Down, with Jason Voorhees in place of the Michael Douglas character. This is made even more interesting because Zombie incorporates the brother-sister thing.

As you can see in the thread, Zombie’s Halloween 2 is ranked very highly - but I’d say that’s because it’s really just Zombie going in and just reiterating the thesis of his Halloween 1 for people who didn’t get it the first time.

I think while you're absolutely correct about the first half of Zombieween 1, I think the real reason people rank it lower than 2 is that the second half feels like a retread of the original rather than an expansion of those themes. 2 is a lot more consistent in presenting its subject matter, and also has Frankenstein running a strip club, which is hard to beat.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I've always thought it's odd though how some people will say "I liked Michael in the first film because he's this mysterious force of nature who's motives can't really be understood", because for me in the original Halloween Michael is at his most mundane and he's the easiest to understand then before the sequels get into all the family stuff and the Cult of Thorns stuff. He's a disturbed, violent murderer who escapes an asylum and goes on a killing spree. That's it. I think Zombie recognized the basic humanity of Michael in Carpenter's original and chose to make that the core of his version, and I have a hard time seeing how that wasn't the correct decision given how bogged down some of the previous sequels had become with the other stuff.

For me it’s less that he’s mysterious and more that it’s a simple narrative that’s not bogged down by anything. I think it’s a big reason why it was so influential in the first place. I completely agree that the cult stuff is dumb of course, but that’s not the og movies fault.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the thing I don't love about Zombie's presentation of Michael is that the opening scene of '78 Halloween--which really doesn't give us much--empathizes Michael's class. Michael lives in this nice big house in surburbia. His dad is in a nice suit when he comes and sounds downright gentile. When people talk about both the simplicity and the lack of understanding of Michael's motives, I think that comes into play. Like even with the original Friday you have a story of revenge, a big twist, and even subtle class issues built into the backstory. But Michael was just a seemingly well-off child who murdered his sister for no good reason. There are a bunch of questions and no answers.

And I really do like the idea of unpacking that story because Halloween '78 does allow you to take the assumption that there's not a reason Michael killed with you throughout the movie. And I feel like going with coding Michael's family as lower class sort of side-steps unpacking the original film if that makes sense. Because implicitly, the first film is saying that if he was poor then the actions would not be as inexplicable.

I think it's a small quibble, but I like how Zombie's movies interact and try to unpack the idea of an inexplicable murderer, and recasting Michael as poor seems almost like a cheat and has never really sat well with me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've now seen the theatrical cut of Halloween 6 and it's better than 5--the only thing that one really had going for it was the Halloween party ON A FARM. Hell, I'd even go so far as to put this one above 4. H4 starts strong and I like the ending, but Michael feels like a knockoff Jason and in the final act everything quickly devolves into "everyone has to be incredibly stupid so the plot can move forward."

I didn't know that there was a Producer's Cut. That explains why the ending of the theatrical cut is so strange and abrupt. The cult thing is not as disruptive as I expected, but it definitely comes across as half-baked.

Edit: Considering what he survives from 2>4, getting drugged and bludgeoned by a smirking Paul Rudd feels a litter lackluster.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 28, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like that Halloween 2007 opens with God of Thunder by Kiss. Zombie cinema's reigning king of the needledrop.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I like that Halloween 2007 opens with God of Thunder by Kiss. Zombie cinema's reigning king of the needledrop.

The White Zombie cover kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

The White Zombie cover kicks rear end

Indeed. the Death cover too.