Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im willing to risk that aliens are hostile because I'm in-between shows right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

euphronius posted:

is this from the 70 page classified report ?

sorta. im a patreon patron to the us government and they occasionally release classified stuff like this to us. pretty neat!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they're mouse pointers. clickers. cursors.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

if you guys like aliens , “Arrival” with Amy Adams is a pretty good documentary

Jeremy Renner's expository montage scene in that is weirdly one of my favorite scenes, either though it's clearly a mechanical part of the movie. I always use the very academically delivered line "Here are some of the many things we don't know about ________" in my head regarding dumb questions I have.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Rah! posted:

kaku hasn't been quiet on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDdFOpy-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpZYanaADSI

(lol fox and TMZ)

sounds like he thinks the US navy/pentagon is credible on the topic of UFOs, and agrees with them that UFOs are real. He also says that if it's not fancy next-level drones, then it's probably aliens, and he also thinks we'll probably make alien contact this century.

this one isn't about UFO videos, but he talks about how aliens might be mean so we shouldn't advertise our existence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGjj73b4DGE

he's clearly skeptical of abduction stories though lol

oh poo poo lol, I guess glancing at twitter isn't a good litmus. glad he's not being a freak about it tho.

and yeah, abduction is a real touchy subject

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

endocriminologist posted:

with the exception of aliens or birds what are your favorite out there explanations for ufos. mines time travelers

Look up brane cosmology. Several different dimensions are overlapping this 3d space. The inhabitants of the other dimension have found a way to create a bridge and send thru probes. However they are never fully in our dimension and interact weakly with our reality, accounting for the impossible maneuvers.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Look up brane cosmology. Several different dimensions are overlapping this 3d space. The inhabitants of the other dimension have found a way to create a bridge and send thru probes. However they are never fully in our dimension and interact weakly with our reality, accounting for the impossible maneuvers.

I like this interpretation

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I hope the aliens give good brane

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

sounds just like my linear algebra class in college

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

my favorite wacky theory is we’re horribly alone in an uncaring universe and there’s no one to save us from ourselves :keke:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Endless Trash posted:

my favorite wacky theory is we’re horribly alone in an uncaring universe and there’s no one to save us from ourselves :keke:

thread ban this piece of poo poo

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

This is my favorite explanation too, plus the theory that they're turning off our nukes because nuclear weapons affect everybody sharing the dimensional space and they don't want to get blown up just because we can't stop loving around

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

booooooorrrrriiiiiing

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

universes just keep repeating at different scales

an atom? thats a universe

a cell? thats a universe

ur body? a universe

the universe? thats an atom (which is a universe)

our UFOs are subatomic particles, and our subatomic particles are UFOs

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

I hope the aliens give good brane

Fred Christ Trump gives the best brane.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Endless Trash posted:

too egocentric. the universe is full of other species that are too far away from us for it to be meaningful, and they are horribly alone.

but us? we have the birds

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

a bird is a universe (fake)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

PokeJoe posted:

too egocentric. the universe is full of other species that are too far away from us for it to be meaningful, and they are horribly alone.

but us? we have the birds

and hazelnuts

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i think a lot of folks here dont want to be saved, but get a kick out of someone watching and saying "lol" as we implode

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

pandy fackler posted:

This is my favorite explanation too, plus the theory that they're turning off our nukes because nuclear weapons affect everybody sharing the dimensional space and they don't want to get blown up just because we can't stop loving around

what's the mechanism for multi-dimensional nuclear blasts?

Chiral matter would be my first guess but I need to know from yuo

or some sort of lodge

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rah! posted:

a bird is a universe (fake)

What's inside a bird

Infinitely smaller birds

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

or some sort of lodge
hell, like, a room above a gas station would work

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

if you guys like aliens , “Arrival” with Amy Adams is a pretty good documentary

Arrival, Tarkovsky's Solaris, and Annihilation are my favorite cinematic examples of humanity coming into contact with something just utterly inexplicable

2001 and Stalker get honorable mentions as well.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
his masters voice is good

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

endocriminologist posted:

with the exception of aliens or birds what are your favorite out there explanations for ufos. mines time travelers

von Neuman probes from multiple civilizations.

fun and technologically plausible\

especially if the 'eat' each other for materials

Log082 has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Jun 28, 2021

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i really dont get peoples beef with soderberghs solaris i love it to death

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

bird:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rah! posted:

universes just keep repeating at different scales

an atom? thats a universe

a cell? thats a universe

ur body? a universe

the universe? thats an atom (which is a universe)

our UFOs are subatomic particles, and our subatomic particles are UFOs
there's a universe in your freakin BALLS

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i really dont get peoples beef with soderberghs solaris i love it to death

Hard to compete with Tarkovsky

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ill go ahead and settle on uncle boonmee for favorite movie about humans interacting with the other

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dolphin posted:

there's a universe in your freakin BALLS

:hai:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

birds (ufos) are stored in the balls

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What's inside a bird

Infinitely smaller birds

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Missionary Positron posted:

Could be worse, though. Imagine Trump trying to handle first contact lmao

this would have been the best

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcdOLKx2XG8

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hard to compete with Tarkovsky

Yeah, it's a good film and a worthy adaptation of Lem's work, but it just doesn't have anything to say that Tarkovsky didn't already say better.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, it's a good film and a worthy adaptation of Lem's work, but it just doesn't have anything to say that Tarkovsky didn't already say better.

yeah but THE SOUNDTRACK :cmon:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What do you all think we are getting in that discovery channel nonsense coming out tomorrow?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

What do you all think we are getting in that discovery channel nonsense coming out tomorrow?

lots of time-lapse photography of the night sky narrated over by someone, let’s say Don Cheadle, saying “it might be aliens or it might not be” in as many different ways he can to fill 42 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Endless Trash posted:

lots of time-lapse photography of the night sky narrated over by someone, let’s say Don Cheadle, saying “it might be aliens or it might not be” in as many different ways he can to fill 42 minutes

It's a 3 hour event though