Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

csammis posted:

I mean…okay, yes, but that is is not saying much because the tech industry is how it is in the US thanks to unfettered capitalism. I doubt the industry would look anything like the way it does today if there were even the slightest guard rails against individuals hoarding wealth or such an idea as labor rights in most states.

Yeah, but that's the system we are in and while changing the system is a noble goal that everyone should be working towards we're talking about navigating the system we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Armauk posted:

Can someone explain figgieland?
It's this:

Shruggoth posted:

San Francisco bay area is where you can get the highest pay in the industry right now. Figgies refers to the significant figures in your total compensation but can be shorthand for a high salary, so SFBA = figgieland. Some people might include places like New York, Seattle, or Austin that have FAANG offices, but it depends on the context.
The SF Bay Area is "figgieland" or "figgieland prime." "Figgieland secundus" is sometimes seen and refers to other metro areas that also have high salaries that don't quite reach SF Bay Area levels. (NYC always counts as one of these, but I'm not sure which others usually do.) "I am in a figgieland" or "Are you in a figgieland?" or "You should move to a figgieland" are examples of forums shorthand about the substantial effect that geographic region has on total compensation.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I feel like some people outside the US also refer to the US as figgieland since dev salaries are so much higher than in a lot of other countries. But yeah in the states it seems like it’s Silicon Valley.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its literally just me who says figgieland prime or secondus lol

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

please stop

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

quoting dis

e:

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yeah, but that's the system we are in and while changing the system is a noble goal that everyone should be working towards we're talking about navigating the system we have.

Yeah that’s fair. My only point was that saying “problems are due to capitalism, not the industry” doesn’t make a lot of sense since the two are inextricably linked.

csammis fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 28, 2021

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Confirmed with a google search. Only bob dobbs is dead may determine what is and isn't figgieland

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

nah

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
What are the types of companies that pay the most nowadays?

I was working at a FANG for about 6 or so years and was making around $280k total comp when I quit last year to recharge.

I feel like I want to work again but I'm wondering if I can get paid more than I was before.

I heard some crazy things from twitter people months ago that crypto companies were paying more than big tech because they could basically print their own tokens, and $500k+ compensation packages for ex-fang types were implied to be not unusual, but I never asked more and can't find who said it.

Does anyone here know anything about it?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

oliveoil posted:

I was working at a FANG for about 6 or so years and was making around $280k total comp when I quit last year to recharge.

I feel like I want to work again but I'm wondering if I can get paid more than I was before.

I heard some crazy things from twitter people months ago that crypto companies were paying more than big tech because they could basically print their own tokens, and $500k+ compensation packages for ex-fang types were implied to be not unusual, but I never asked more and can't find who said it.

As a FAANGer, the only recruiting I've gotten from crypto companies has had either grossly uncompetitive numbers or imaginary ones that make startup stock options look like a safe bet. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a handful of people who lucked into bitcoin wealth making high offers, but I doubt it's remotely the norm, and I wouldn't bet on job security regardless. I'd focus on going for level + 1 at a traditional company.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005

oliveoil posted:

I'll tell you, you just have to pay me 1 BTC to prove that you understand crypto.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Joining a crypto company now is probably like joining a dotcom startup in June 2000 or later. Yeah, it's going to be sweet until the bubble bursts, but that's probably not that far off.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

oliveoil posted:

That sounds volatile as hell. I have a natural suspicion that, in the time leading up to a major crypto crash, those company founders will jump ship and make off with a ton of cash.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Don't touch the poop.

At best cryptocurrency companies are scam adjacent if not outright scams

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm curious how many folks in this thread have children or other dependents? I know this is the oldie thread, but I assume it's oldie like 3 years of experience is "senior"

Turning 45 this year. Married with one toddler. Zero time for personal development outside work.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

I regularly lurk this thread and thought I'd throw in another salary progression. I turn 36 next month, graduated in 2009:

2010: 65k, .NET dev at Boeing
2021: 150k + pension, "Solutions Architect" at large uncool insurance company. 100% remote

FWIW, I live in Denver and salaries aren't great here IMO, outside of big tech satellite offices. I have friends at Google, Amazon, etc. and know how well they pay but I'm an anxious person and leetcode prep stresses me out a lot. Plus I think I'm a mediocre "engineer", which is why I'm trying out an architect role after 11 years being a dev. I've done an onsite with AWS (miserable) and had onsites scheduled with Google and Zillow but bailed out of both because the odds of me getting hired were slim to none.

On the bright side, no kids and my wife makes 130k as a Senior BA and we get free healthcare through her employer. Feels like we're rolling in the cash, but I absolutely get jealous when reading here or on Blind about huge tech salaries.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

oliveoil posted:

You can burn fast and bright in fintech, specifically HFT. It doesn't seem like a terribly happy environment to me. Otherwise for recent stuff that comes to mind, Databricks is a unicorn and throwing shitloads of money at my peers. Snowflake used to be a pretty enticing opportunity, but I don't know how things have changed since their IPO last year. I suspect there are still some great opportunities in the cloud data warehouse area.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 28, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Joining a crypto company now is probably like joining a dotcom startup in June 2000 or later. Yeah, it's going to be sweet until the bubble bursts, but that's probably not that far off.

Coworker of mine just announced he's leaving his cushy eng manager job to go work for a bitcoin startup. If you work the timeline backwards, he started the interview process at the peak of the market. When he announced his resignation it had lost 40% of it's value, lmao

But, whatever, he lives in a very low CoL area, probably paid off his house and vested all his shares at our old company, which makes it a good time to do risky poo poo, I guess

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I have an acquaintance-friend that is an accountant that went to work for some crypto company a couple years ago. He will outright tell you that the company is a scam and that every one of the founders and leaders are total morons and that he hates all of them. But they pay him an absolutely stupid amount of money that he couldn't refuse.

When it all crumbles and collapses I'm sure his old generic corporate accounting job, or someone similar will take him back. Or he'll have stacked so much paper he won't need to.

As long as you're getting paid in real money, not monopoly tokens.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

In my early 40s, married, one tiny kid. Wife earns almost as I do, but she'll surpass me within a year, I'm sure. Living in a low-cost area made this year good to us, obvious crap notwithstanding.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Guinness posted:

I have an acquaintance-friend that is an accountant that went to work for some crypto company a couple years ago. He will outright tell you that the company is a scam and that every one of the founders and leaders are total morons and that he hates all of them. But they pay him an absolutely stupid amount of money that he couldn't refuse.

When it all crumbles and collapses I'm sure his old generic corporate accounting job, or someone similar will take him back. Or he'll have stacked so much paper he won't need to.

As long as you're getting paid in real money, not monopoly tokens.

Pretty good chance they ask him to do something illegal in the near future though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mid 40s one kid

1994 - Founded ISP in college, sold it when DSL came along
1998 - Enterprise Systems Management in Denver for 55k/?/0
1999 - ESM Consultant in Figgieland for 110k/?/?
2000-2012 Sr Software Engineer for Games 100k - 135k salary, some amount of bonus at various places Got some Series A => IPO for a bay area house, promptly left for Seattle
2012-2015 Engineering Manager in Games for Mobile games 165
2016 - Company brought 200k w/40% bonus target
2019 - Laid off new company still in games 200/20% + separate 6% never paid out less than 280% of the 20% / 50k
2021 - Now 230/25%+6%/20% yearly RSUs

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Mid 40s one kid

1994 - Founded ISP in college, sold it when DSL came along
1998 - Enterprise Systems Management in Denver for 55k/?/0
1999 - ESM Consultant in Figgieland for 110k/?/?
2000-2012 Sr Software Engineer for Games 100k - 135k salary, some amount of bonus at various places Got some Series A => IPO for a bay area house, promptly left for Seattle
2012-2015 Engineering Manager in Games for Mobile games 165
2016 - Company brought 200k w/40% bonus target
2019 - Laid off new company still in games 200/20% + separate 6% never paid out less than 280% of the 20% / 50k
2021 - Now 230/25%+6%/20% yearly RSUs

100k in '99 feels like a lot more than 200k in '21. I wonder if that's actually true or just my bias.

edit: I guess it's my bias. Inflation calculator says it's more like 100k => 160k from '99 to '21.

downout fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 29, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

downout posted:

100k in '99 feels like a lot more than 200k in '21. I wonder if that's actually true or just my bias.

edit: I guess it's my bias. Inflation calculator says it's more like 100k => 160k from '99 to '21.

You knew fewer people in '99 making $100k. You know a lot more now making $200k. You're old.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

You knew fewer people in '99 making $100k. You know a lot more now making $200k. You're old.

:cawg: Ya, in '99 100k seemed like an impossible number. That was way more than anyone I knew made.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

downout posted:

Not sure which inflation calculator you used and what metric it was using, but many of them exclude housing, and housing, the thing most folks spend the most money on, has more than doubled in price across the US since 1999. In some areas, a lot more. SF median home sale price more than quadrupled from 1999 to 2018. So you might not be that far off, in practical terms, in terms of overall buying power for a tech worker, more likely than most to be living in a larger city that saw higher than average increases in housing costs.

Of course if you, like, bought a house in 1999 with those bucks, then this doesn't apply, hah.

philihp
Jun 1, 2008

Steve French posted:

Not sure which inflation calculator you used and what metric it was using, but many of them exclude housing, and housing, the thing most folks spend the most money on, has more than doubled in price across the US since 1999. In some areas, a lot more. SF median home sale price more than quadrupled from 1999 to 2018. So you might not be that far off, in practical terms, in terms of overall buying power for a tech worker, more likely than most to be living in a larger city that saw higher than average increases in housing costs.

Of course if you, like, bought a house in 1999 with those bucks, then this doesn't apply, hah.

I wouldn't look at SF home prices as a metric of inflation; SF property owners there got lucky. Survivorship bias makes it feel like that's every person's experience, but in most locales, home prices track with inflation at around 2%. Getting a mortgage then was just easier because a downpayment was more of a nice-to-have (what could go wrong with that?).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

philihp posted:

I wouldn't look at SF home prices as a metric of inflation; SF property owners there got lucky. Survivorship bias makes it feel like that's every person's experience, but in most locales, home prices track with inflation at around 2%. Getting a mortgage then was just easier because a downpayment was more of a nice-to-have (what could go wrong with that?).

My point was not that housing costs are a metric of inflation, or even that they should be included in inflation. Rather, that when thinking about / answering OP's original question/wondering: how does $100k in '99 compare to $200k in '21, just looking at CPI, for example, doesn't tell the whole story, because it doesn't include housing prices.

SF is not a representative example for the whole country for sure, but it is actually generally true that housing prices have increased faster than inflation at a nationwide level, and this is generally, from the data I've seen, especially true in cities heavy in technology jobs (not just SF).

I don't know where you got the information that home prices tend to track with inflation at around 2%, perhaps it is true but the aforementioned larger increases in cities skews the nationwide data. But:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CSUSHPINSA

There is one time period ending in 2021 where it is true that prices increased an amount equivalent to 2% per year over that time period, and that's compared to 15 years ago, at the top of the last housing bubble.

So, yeah, I think it's true that in the context of the question "what's an equivalent tech worker salary now to a $100k salary in 1999 in terms of cost of living?" the answer is almost certainly more than the $160k number that just looking at inflation would give you.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Kicking off the ol process and heard back from G with a "Hi I work in 'a specialized recruiting team within Google Engineering'" from my recruiting coordinator. Anyone know what this means?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Recruiting is a mystery to me.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Kicking off the ol process and heard back from G with a "Hi I work in 'a specialized recruiting team within Google Engineering'" from my recruiting coordinator. Anyone know what this means?

Probably a recruiter for a specific team/org

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I got an unsolicited SMS from NIAH recruiting at 4am wednesday morning. So gently caress those guys.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got an unsolicited phone call from korean recruiter at 2am pacific time once lol

i cursed them out in 2 languages!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I get being annoyed at the unsolicited part but why does time of day matter? You see the notification after you wake up, whenever you bother to check your phone.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Light sleepers who haven’t discovered the modern wonder that is do not disturb mode, perhaps?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I've had enough calls from hospitals at night to be too nervous to use it. Okay only two in the last like ten years but that's still worrisome with elderly parents!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I've missed so many on-call alarms due to my sleeping ability. Old age comes in handy sometimes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I keep my phone on silent 99% of the time unless I'm expecting a call back, or some kind of scheduled call

That said,

1) people do keep their ringer on (like my wife, her dad has chronic/terminal health issues) and if you're going to make the conscious effort to send an alert to their phone, doing it during regular business hours and not in the middle of the night in their local time zone is, at the least, a reasonable ask. This guy isn't recruiting for McDonald's fry cooks, unsolicited SMS reeks of desperation and amateur hour

2) my phone number has been on the federal Do Not Call List since, I'm pretty sure, the literal day of it's inception

I don't mind the emails, that's an asynchronous form of communication, and nobody is going to email you to let you know your family member is in the hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

apseudonym posted:

Probably a recruiter for a specific team/org

Ah gotcha. I had to fill out a questionnaire that asked what I was interested in and then specifically asked about interest in Android, then give some times for a phone screen.