Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mystic Mongol posted:

In 3e, the primary restriction is that the anti-magic cone affects the Beholder as well. Since nearly all of the beholder's attacks are magical in nature, unless it wants to gnaw you to death (+2 to hit, 2d4 damage, a beholder's bite attack is much less scary than a goblin with a spear) it's going to have to turn the magic back on during much of the fight.

A high level rogue with a variety of ranged poison attacks on top of a beholder is a very dangerous foe.

You're slightly mistaken.

It can position itself such that some foes are in the cone and others are to the sides and can be shot with beams. The monster manual is written a little bit ambiguously, but that's pretty clearly what was meant.

This is an obvious trade off for a creature built on a caster template, because leveraging it puts it dead in the middle of an enemy party.

DMs have to choose between fast and devastating encounter where the party is sure to win quickly at great cost or a slow strategic battle at the beholder's range limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
why don't Elan and Haley communicate telepathically the moment the Charm wears off, there's no line-of-sight needed as the raven bit demonstrated

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

nimby posted:

Not knowing much about D&D besides what permeated through general nerd culture and this comic, how dangerous would this trap be to Xykon? Can a beholder shut down an epic lich?

He'd lose all his spellcasting in front of the beholder. He's still a level 21+ adventurer with huge lich stat bonuses... push comes to shove, he could chuck rocks at the beholder until it died while Serini threw useless poison darts at him. Xykon would retain his resistances and immunities, dark vision, and touch attack in the cone. And if the cone goes away for a round, a single meteor swarm is going to end that beholder.

Serini could have other tricks set up to handle a high level undead spellcaster. But Xykon has a crew of high level adventurers and backup plans of his own, sooooo....

ikanreed posted:

You're slightly mistaken.

It can position itself such that some foes are in the cone and others are to the sides and can be shot with beams. The monster manual is written a little bit ambiguously, but that's pretty clearly what was meant.

Sure sure, it can play games with who is and isn't lit up with antimagic at any time.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 28, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mystic Mongol posted:

In 3e, the primary restriction is that the anti-magic cone affects the Beholder as well. Since nearly all of the beholder's attacks are magical in nature, unless it wants to gnaw you to death (+2 to hit, 2d4 damage, a beholder's bite attack is much less scary than a goblin with a spear) it's going to have to turn the magic back on during much of the fight.

A high level rogue with a variety of ranged poison attacks on top of a beholder is a very dangerous foe.

Yeaaaaa!!!! That's what I remember now. Anyone in the cone couldn't be affected.

For me I had a Iron Golem as a pet/companion who I really didn't want to permanently lose so I was busy trying to keep it safe so I wasn't very effective that combat.

Zore posted:

Epic magic can punch through an anti-magic field (as seen with V during the Soul-Splice arc) which is probably why Serini has been observing Team Evil instead of luring them in with a trap like she did with the Order.

Dysjunction isn't epic, it's a 9th level spell; and was casted well outside the Anti-Magic Sphere.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah besides Xykon having some power from his raw stats and lichness he also hangs around the probably-not-just-magic-powered MitD so the beholder can't solve Team Evil.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeaaaaa!!!! That's what I remember now. Anyone in the cone couldn't be affected.

For me I had a Iron Golem as a pet/companion who I really didn't want to permanently lose so I was busy trying to keep it safe so I wasn't very effective that combat.

Dysjunction isn't epic, it's a 9th level spell; and was casted well outside the Anti-Magic Sphere.

Correct but Epic Magic can pretty trivially punch through an Anti-magic field, I just forgot V used Disjunction

3.5 SRD posted:

Antimagic field does not automatically suppress epic spells as it does standard spells. Instead, each time an epic spell is subject to an antimagic field, make a dispel check as a 20th-level caster (1d20 + 20). The epic spell has a DC of 11 + the epic spell’s spellcaster level. If the suppression check is successful, the epic spell is suppressed like any other spell. If the dispel check is unsuccessful, the epic spell functions normally.

Xykon's got a caster level that has to be pushing 30 between his level and magic items which means he almost always gets through with any Epic Spells he has.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
This might be a bit of an OOTS forum post, but what's happening here mechanically? It looks like V got hit by one of the darts that took out the paladins which made them fail concentration on light/telepathy/fly, then Roy gets hit by one as well. But then V just stands back up while Roy looks completely out? Also it looks like the beholder was paralyzing Elan but then stopped doing that to project some beam of darkness, but why even bother with that if V's light was dispelled?

Edit: Oh I think I get it, the beam is an anti-magic field and V just fell and bonked themselves. I was confused because it cut from a single dart to V falling while Roy took 2 darts.

ClothHat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 28, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ClothHat posted:

This might be a bit of an OOTS forum post, but what's happening here mechanically? It looks like V got hit by one of the darts that took out the paladins which made them fail concentration on light/telepathy/fly, then Roy gets hit by one as well. But then V just stands back up while Roy looks completely out? Also it looks like the beholder was paralyzing Elan but then stopped doing that to project some beam of darkness, but why even bother with that if V's light was dispelled?

The desaturation that the beholder is emitting is an anti-magic cone. It suppresses the Hold Person (and charm, if it was still running) effect on Elan, V's light and flight spell, and their telepathic communication spell.

e: it's similar to the elder black dragon's antimagic sphere.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ClothHat posted:

The dispel hits the Hold Person on Elan, V's Fly, Light and Telepathy (V falls to the ground because their Fly spell ends unexpectedly), and then Roy gets hit by a poison dart.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ClothHat posted:

The Beholder turned on the Anti-Magic cone, which suppressed their buffs; so V's Fly and Telepathic Bond all got switched off. Also their magic lightsource; leaving only the Dwarves with eyesight on whats happening.

Roy got hit by poison darts, presumably darts that damaged his constitution and with enough that once it hit 0 he collapsed. Or could just be sleep or paralysis, not sure.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ClothHat posted:

Edit: Oh I think I get it, the beam is an anti-magic field and V just fell and bonked themselves. I was confused because it cut from a single dart to V falling while Roy took 2 darts.
That panel isn't a dart, it's the beholder's eye. Confused me for a bit too.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Raenir Salazar posted:

Roy got hit by poison darts, presumably darts that damaged his constitution and with enough that once it hit 0 he collapsed. Or could just be sleep or paralysis, not sure.

Probably not constitution, as a 0 there means instant death and he doesn't have the X eyes. Could be Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma damage.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mystic Mongol posted:

Probably not constitution, as a 0 there means instant death and he doesn't have the X eyes. Could be Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma damage.

It's probably just a drow poison whose DC is higher thanks to epic craft (alchemy), maybe with feats or something. Serini has a pretty clear M.O. of nonlethal takedowns, followed by administering amnesia potions or whatever. Makes sense; killing investigators would tip off their leaders as to something going wrong.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kind of wish that Rich took the opportunity to do an IASIP-style title for this strip.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Durkon will try to talk -

but what still puzzles me is - for Serini's plan to work, she needs to send Xykon to the right dungeon right now whilst she delays the Order. Anything else introduces more risk on the same argument

so... a tête-à-tête with the last surviving member of the Order of the Scribble before she lets slip that, eh, I did it thirty-five minutes ago?

that would also give Redcloak and Xykon alike an opportunity to introduce whatever backup backstab plan they have for each other

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If she removes the Order of the Stick from the equation, then Team Evil could still be indefinitely stalled unable to find the gate and no need for any heroes to try destroying the gate to prevent them from getting to it. She doesn't want Team Evil to win, she just doesn't want the heroes to do what they did with the last three gates.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
too many parties know about some quest about the gates now though - Evil kingdoms seeking desalination options, Good kingdoms whose agents keep in regular magical contact, dwarven councils of mixed allegiance, whatever - is her plan to hope nobody sends a force too large for a single rogue to take down, no matter how well-prepared? Certainly she seems to have been paying attention to events

or is having high PC levels so numerically rare that Serini has a reasonable expectation of having the world's leading adventurers all in her killbox right now?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, the imp made a comment to V, back on the island, to the effect of " Do you know how few casters make it past the 10th level?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Beholder turned on the Anti-Magic cone, which suppressed their buffs; so V's Fly and Telepathic Bond all got switched off. Also their magic lightsource; leaving only the Dwarves with eyesight on whats happening.

Ohhhh, so that's why everybody uses torches. Kinda lowkey bugged me for years that adventurers in official D&D art usually use torches, when in most editions magical light and even permanent magical light should be abundant and inexpensive. Yeah a torch is cheaper still, but using a torch, oil lantern or candle means you are constantly burning fuel and are vulnerable to water and wind.

But then one anti-magic thing and you're all stumbling around in the dark. Bet you wish you had a lantern now.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
No your instinct to be bugged was correct. You're a lot more likely to contend with high winds and wet environments than anti magic fields so light cantrips beat torches hands down.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

No your instinct to be bugged was correct. You're a lot more likely to contend with high winds and wet environments than anti magic fields so light cantrips beat torches hands down.

Yeah, but most DMs aren't gonna go so granular as to be like "the wind is high, all your torches are unusable in this cavern" unless you're playing a very particular type of game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey, I remember Sunny.

Does this count as the character that has only ever been in one other strip?

Ha! That's amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ikanreed posted:

I know, just what the beholder's effect is gonna be, since it brings so many different effects to bear.
"
Telekinesis: good for an "oof" panel

Lutey the dancing lute

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ZearothK posted:

That's a good catch, might be!

Did Beholders get added to the SRD or...?

"Parody is protected speech."

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, but most DMs aren't gonna go so granular as to be like "the wind is high, all your torches are unusable in this cavern" unless you're playing a very particular type of game.

You can always have some torches just in case, and use whichever works best in the moment. Having an emergency torch or two just in case seems like a smart thing to do for most adventurers.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

ronya posted:

too many parties know about some quest about the gates now though - Evil kingdoms seeking desalination options, Good kingdoms whose agents keep in regular magical contact, dwarven councils of mixed allegiance, whatever - is her plan to hope nobody sends a force too large for a single rogue to take down, no matter how well-prepared? Certainly she seems to have been paying attention to events

or is having high PC levels so numerically rare that Serini has a reasonable expectation of having the world's leading adventurers all in her killbox right now?

She only has to attack the people who figure out the trick to the labyrinth. Which, apparently, seems to only be possible for high-level rogues and no one else. And she's not killing them - she's gonna rewrite their short-term memories, so they think that they found no sign of the gate there and it must be somewhere else. It's a misdirection similar to what Girard tried, but a lot more effective because there's a living defender there to fine-tune the deception and make drat sure it sticks.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

She only has to attack the people who figure out the trick to the labyrinth. Which, apparently, seems to only be possible for high-level rogues and no one else. And she's not killing them - she's gonna rewrite their short-term memories, so they think that they found no sign of the gate there and it must be somewhere else. It's a misdirection similar to what Girard tried, but a lot more effective because there's a living defender there to fine-tune the deception and make drat sure it sticks.

To be fair, Girard's plan would have worked really well if he hadn't failed to account for the possibility of an elf wizard he'd never met being a complete monster and wiping out his entire bloodline, with a single spell, by accident.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Android Blues posted:

To be fair, Girard's plan would have worked really well if he hadn't failed to account for the possibility of an elf wizard he'd never met being a complete monster and wiping out his entire bloodline, with a single spell, by accident.

Speaking of which, both Girard and Soon had set up organizations that could continue the work of protecting the Gate after they died, but does Serini have anything like or is she just planning to live forever?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, both Girard and Soon had set up organizations that could continue the work of protecting the Gate after they died, but does Serini have anything like or is she just planning to live forever?

Well she seems to have adopted a Beholder who calls her Mom and is intimately involved in her plans and has an extended network of allied monsters discreetly providing her with support and aid.

Really the only Scribbler who really seemed to be doing it on their own was Dorukan who didn't have anyone who could even theoretically step in for him. Even Lirian had the trees and animals helping her out and a much longer lifespan than the others. The closest Dorukan had was... Celia and the other interns?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sorry if it was covered in this arc already, but what's stopping xykon and co from just blowing up the whole cliffside?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Brainamp posted:

Sorry if it was covered in this arc already, but what's stopping xykon and co from just blowing up the whole cliffside?

Because if they blast too deep and blow up the Gate, that's game over. This is the last surviving Gate and they need it intact to do The Plan.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Bobulus posted:

Lol, Mimi the mimic and a yellowy sphere monster (with beams) called Sunny.

Sunny, who calls another character Mom.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zore posted:

Well she seems to have adopted a Beholder who calls her Mom and is intimately involved in her plans and has an extended network of allied monsters discreetly providing her with support and aid.

Really the only Scribbler who really seemed to be doing it on their own was Dorukan who didn't have anyone who could even theoretically step in for him. Even Lirian had the trees and animals helping her out and a much longer lifespan than the others. The closest Dorukan had was... Celia and the other interns?

It's 100% headcanon but it would make sense for Dorukan to have been actively researching life extension / youth serum at the time of his death. Particularly considering he had a long-lived girlfriend to stick around for.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There were living defenders at Girard's Gate until V happened.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Order's spells are suppressed but not dispelled, right? The telepathy and V's flight comes back online if the Beholder looks away?

ronya posted:

Durkon will try to talk -

but what still puzzles me is - for Serini's plan to work, she needs to send Xykon to the right dungeon right now whilst she delays the Order. Anything else introduces more risk on the same argument

so... a tête-à-tête with the last surviving member of the Order of the Scribble before she lets slip that, eh, I did it thirty-five minutes ago?

that would also give Redcloak and Xykon alike an opportunity to introduce whatever backup backstab plan they have for each other

Also Durkon/the Order possesses the fairly vital piece of intel that the gods know what Team Evil is scheming and are willing and able to destroy the world if need be. Of course the gods haven't explicitly agreed to destroy the world if the ritual succeeds, and that still requires Team Evil to find the Gate, but if they get the chance to actually talk there's decent odds Serini's going to need to reevaluate.

NihilCredo posted:

It's 100% headcanon but it would make sense for Dorukan to have been actively researching life extension / youth serum at the time of his death. Particularly considering he had a long-lived girlfriend to stick around for.

Also he was still alive until Xykon killed him, while both Girard and Soon had died of old age some time ago.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zore posted:

Weren’t the non-goblin monsters in the deepest levels of the very first dungeon also aligned with him?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I had a thought but doesn't Roy have a potential work around for the memory wipe? His ghost dad who I assume it watching things, can fill him in that he got memory wiped, his team will believe him and they just go back but now on their guard.

So in a way Serini's plan is doomed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also Julia and everyone they've been Sending with, which is at least Hinjo and Sigdi.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dorukon had some elementals as employees, but they didn't notice when he died and Xykon took the dungeon, so they weren't really in the loop. Maybe he had more employees that Xykon killed in the process.

I guess it's a bit of a different prospect for a wizard recluse to just assume he's gonna live forever instead of a paladin or an illusionist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Raenir Salazar posted:

I had a thought but doesn't Roy have a potential work around for the memory wipe? His ghost dad who I assume it watching things, can fill him in that he got memory wiped, his team will believe him and they just go back but now on their guard.

So in a way Serini's plan is doomed.

Not to mention, y'know, actual gods. Thor would probably contact Durkon if he got high (on unspecified amnesia potions) and wandered off.