Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

feedmyleg posted:

Crosspost from TVIV just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOAA1U0li8

On one hand, this looks absolutely nothing like Foundation. On the other hand, this looks like a show I really, really want to watch.

in fairness aren't there, like, thousands of years of events between Foundation books that are only kinda loosely sketched in? if you're gonna write loosely-inspired-by fanfiction about a sci-fi series you could do a lot worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HBO Max and Criterion Channel are all you need, maybe Hulu if you're interested in their movie lineup.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shudder is all you need

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Shudder is all you need

I agree but also surprised you didn't include criterion channel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I agree but also surprised you didn't include criterion channel.

What am I made of money?

I did get suckered into getting HBO because I wanted to see Mortal Kombat and Godzilla vs Kong, turns out both of those movies sucked rear end by the way

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol fair

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lol i totally forget i use my mums sky go account to watch stuff so yea having a premium streaming service is nice as long as you aren't the one paying for it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What am I made of money?

I did get suckered into getting HBO because I wanted to see Mortal Kombat and Godzilla vs Kong, turns out both of those movies sucked rear end by the way

I think the TCM poo poo is enought to justify HBOMax, and if I had kids who were too young to be begging me for Disney I'd get it over Disney+ because if I have to watch kids shows on repeat I'd much prefer Looney Tunes and Sesame Street over the Disney stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i get hulu for free with spotify and as i mentioned before, now that i'm a convert to the Real Housewives fandom, i call that a win. art of the deal.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Gripweed posted:

If you really like all of them enough to subscribe to a service it would probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy copies. It's like, what, 20 movies? If that, since I don't think anyone even likes all the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies

Lmao don't let this get lost on the end of last page please

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What am I made of money?

Watch Raised By Wolves and Gomorrah.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

in fairness aren't there, like, thousands of years of events between Foundation books that are only kinda loosely sketched in? if you're gonna write loosely-inspired-by fanfiction about a sci-fi series you could do a lot worse

Between some of them, and I think the first Foundation book takes place over 100 or more years. The first book is kinda like I, Robot where there's this basic idea that Asimov wants to poke at (instead of the three laws it's "psychohistory," a sort of statistical analysis model that lets you accurately predict societal patterns on a large scale over thousands and thousands of years) and then it's just a bunch of short stories where they introduce some kind of angle that would cause an issue but hey guess what *thing* caused it to not even be an issue. "Oh, there's a problem with this plan to preserve humanity and it's all going wrong! Oh wait, no, because Hari Seldon used psychohistory he actually knew this was going to happen and it's all okay."

As I said earlier, this looks to be more of an adaptation of at least the first Foundation prequel book which is a single simple narrative of this guy figuring out that the galactic empire is collapsing and trying to convince the emperor of his plan that could prevent tens of thousands of years of dark ages, but meanwhile shadowy forces are trying to stop him. Maybe they'll get to things like The Mule and Second Foundation and all the tie ins to the Empire and Robot books later but I kinda doubt it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Watch Raised By Wolves and Gomorrah.

Gomorrah the movie? Good flick.

I'm not currently interested in tv shows other than Real Housewives, The X-Files, and occasionally Frasier.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Gomorrah the movie? Good flick.

I'm not currently interested in tv shows other than Real Housewives, The X-Files, and occasionally Frasier.

Gomorrah the tv show!!!

It’s very good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So a lot of you probably know that Tarantino signed a book deal and the first one is a novelisation of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Well, it’s out in the UK now, so I snagged the Kindle edition and thought I’d read a few pages before bed.

It is safe to say Tarantino’s skill does not translate to prose. The whole thing is so ridiculously amateur. I’m just gonna post one tiny excerpt:

quote:

Then there’s a small tap on the office door, just before the miniskirt-wearing Miss Himmelsteen enters the office, carrying two cups of steaming coffee for Rick and Marvin. She carefully hands the hot beverages to the two gentlemen.

Just imagine that every sentence is like this and you get the gist.

If there’s anything else worth posting about I’ll update you all

e: one sentence ends with “and lights both smokes in his cool-guy way”

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 29, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Escobarbarian posted:

That's how people describe most of my actions too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Lol yes share more

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Another piece of evidence that Rob Zombie is the good Tarantino: his novelization of Lords of Salem whips rear end.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Baron von Eevl posted:

HBO max has a good chunk of TCM stuff and is really your only option for Studio Ghibli in the US beyond physical media. I keep it around for that.

DOOM.

PATROL.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but I already watched doom patrol and god only knows when the next season is happening.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but I already watched doom patrol and god only knows when the next season is happening.

It's out in August.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

More people should check out Arrow's streaming service

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I got Disney +, HBO Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Criterion.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I mock streaming services but I probably am gonna get the year subscription to Warhammer+ when that starts up

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tubi has a ton of the boutique label titles for streaming which saves me a ton because I would’ve totally blind bought Doom Asylum on Blu-ray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cursed.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Who among us can say that they have not carefully handed the hot beverages to the two gentlemen?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grendels Dad posted:

A cursory Google search has not turned up any merchandise featuring the gray gentlemen from Momo, and that's some bullshit. I had just explained to my son that I felt a bit like a gray gentleman from time to time and then rushed to the computer to look at all the ironic t-shirts they must surely be on, but I found nothing.

For those not familiar, they are the bad guys in a German children's book, and they eat time. They come for people dressed as bankers and they convince them to save time at their bank by not wasting their time, and then they smoke the time rolled up in cigars. They couldn't really be any less subtle and they own for it, and i am severely disappointed in the Internet for not having a dedicated fandom to them.

Hey, I read that book when I was little - didn't expect anyone to post about it though. I was reminded of this book when The Good Place had a scene where demons from the bad place snort time like it's cocaine.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

therattle posted:

Have any of you watched Small Axe, the Steve McQueen series? We have watched three of the five (The Mangrove, Lovers Rock, and Education), and they are amazing. McQueen must be the best British director around (or one of them at least), and he is dealing with a subject matter that is evidently close to his heart and that of his extraordinary cast, so you get a real sense of depth, feeling, commitment and and sincerity, executed with his skill and craft. The Mangrove bears numerous parallels to the Trial of the Chicago 7 (which I liked), but it better in pretty much every respect. They are must-sees, I think.

I haven't heard of Small Axe 'til now, but it sounds right up my street. Thank you for the recommendation!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ynohtna posted:

I haven't heard of Small Axe 'til now, but it sounds right up my street. Thank you for the recommendation!

We just watched Red, White and Blue, our fourth. They are phenomenal. More than that: they are important.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Roth posted:

More people should check out Arrow's streaming service

I know the DC TV shows are quite expansive but having their own streaming service seems excessive.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I can't stop thinking about how good Promare is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

I'm constantly surprised by how passionate some Westerners are in their support of Taiwan's claim to be the legitimate government of China

They're told to and that's good enough. These are the same people who apparently never noticed that the villains of HK action films are British and Australian businessmen more often than not.

therattle posted:

Have any of you watched Small Axe, the Steve McQueen series? We have watched three of the five (The Mangrove, Lovers Rock, and Education), and they are amazing. McQueen must be the best British director around (or one of them at least), and he is dealing with a subject matter that is evidently close to his heart and that of his extraordinary cast, so you get a real sense of depth, feeling, commitment and and sincerity, executed with his skill and craft. The Mangrove bears numerous parallels to the Trial of the Chicago 7 (which I liked), but it better in pretty much every respect. They are must-sees, I think.

It's incredible, just leave Steve McQueen alone and let him do whatever he wants.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 29, 2021

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Escobarbarian posted:

So a lot of you probably know that Tarantino signed a book deal and the first one is a novelisation of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Well, it’s out in the UK now, so I snagged the Kindle edition and thought I’d read a few pages before bed.

It is safe to say Tarantino’s skill does not translate to prose. The whole thing is so ridiculously amateur. I’m just gonna post one tiny excerpt:

Just imagine that every sentence is like this and you get the gist.

If there’s anything else worth posting about I’ll update you all

Please god post more excerpts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Tarantino is an intelligent guy but you could tell early on in his career that he'd been brain poisoned by all the people he encounters constantly worshipping him and treating him like a god. He's the type who would be insufferable at parties because he'd be like "I'm the most interesting person in this room, you know it and I know it, so I'm gonna just yap all night and you can absorb my genius".

So I doubt there would ever be a point where it would even occur to him that maybe he's not a great technical writer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Basebf555 posted:

Tarantino is an intelligent guy but you could tell early on in his career that he'd been brain poisoned by all the people he encounters constantly worshipping him and treating him like a god. He's the type who would be insufferable at parties because he'd be like "I'm the most interesting person in this room, you know it and I know it, so I'm gonna just yap all night and you can absorb my genius".

I mean pulp fiction was really really good (and true romance is underrated!)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean pulp fiction was really really good (and true romance is underrated!)

Yea I mean that's just a thing that happens when you make a pop culture phenomenon like Pulp Fiction and it comes completely out of nowhere. In the mid to late 90's Tarantino was basically treated like the Messiah returned to Earth.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think Tarantino would write some great film history books. Say what you will about him, the dude loving loves movies and knows his poo poo about them too. And y’know, understands how to craft a compelling and satisfying story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They're told to and that's good enough. These are the same people who apparently never noticed that the villains of HK action films are British and Australian businessmen more often than not.

In small fairness, Brits are frequently the bad guys in American films too, and if you're watching a dub then god knows what accent the bad guy will have, regardless of what their nationality is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean that's just a thing that happens when you make a pop culture phenomenon like Pulp Fiction and it comes completely out of nowhere. In the mid to late 90's Tarantino was basically treated like the Messiah returned to Earth.

Then he gave us kill bill volume 2 to remind us he's still human!

Jokes aside its a hell of a filmography he has when you count writing credits. Saying that I've not yet watched his 3 last films yet!