Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dexo posted:

In a long running sandbox like Matt runs it's probably a bit more dangerous to do cutaways as he has to be way more flexible about situations, and might have to change stuff around.

Matt still does them, he just usually involves one or two of the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nemo2342 posted:

Matt Coleville also does stuff like this, so it's certainly not limited to new DMs.

Branson Reese from Rude Tales does it, and it helps set the mood a lot more. He does the little bits at the end sometimes as well, and it works really well to build tension for future episodes.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I知 also pretty sure making the players enter the warehouse had a huge amount to do with having a warehouse battle map already made for the production and not having one for the docks ready to go (where presumably they would have had to fight otherwise).

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

TotalHell posted:

I知 also pretty sure making the players enter the warehouse had a huge amount to do with having a warehouse battle map already made for the production and not having one for the docks ready to go (where presumably they would have had to fight otherwise).

I've had to panic find battle maps online because players decided to start a fight where I didn't expect and I run my games with a bunch of improv, so I feel that if you're making actual big sets. I think Matt with the infinite amount of production money for the games has a bunch of backup maps made for "urban setting" "ruins" "forest" etc. for when stuff he doesn't expect to start a fight, happens.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

TotalHell posted:

I think Aabria even said something like "I spent a lot of time making this map, we're gonna use it!"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
To be fair, it could of been pretty easy to mod that map into an alleyway. Just make the elevated portion like a loading dock for wagons. To be fair though even that probably would of broke the flow of the season.

I won't scream railroading at Bria because yeah, it is the first session of a 8 part miniseries. She obviously had a few initial hooks set to get this thing running and now that they've had some significant decisions they've made to set the stage for where we go from here I imagine it's going to be a bit more free form. If you go by that logic about how it was always funny to end in the warehouse - the first few episodes of campaign 2 were railroady as gently caress wrt the circus and they made it through alright.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Campaign 2 could have done with a little bit more railroading during the Eiselcross arc.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
For real though, I'm super looking forward to where this campaign goes. The only one with a brain cell is also the only one with a conscience currently, so this is shaping up to be a fantasy Cohen Brothers movie.

Seriously, imagine like, Raising Arizona or The Big Lebowski if the protagonist was a Himbo Chad Dwarf Sorcerer and his pack of bumbling idiot friends.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DeathSandwich posted:

To be fair, it could of been pretty easy to mod that map into an alleyway. Just make the elevated portion like a loading dock for wagons. To be fair though even that probably would of broke the flow of the season.

I won't scream railroading at Bria because yeah, it is the first session of a 8 part miniseries. She obviously had a few initial hooks set to get this thing running and now that they've had some significant decisions they've made to set the stage for where we go from here I imagine it's going to be a bit more free form. If you go by that logic about how it was always funny to end in the warehouse - the first few episodes of campaign 2 were railroady as gently caress wrt the circus and they made it through alright.

And honestly could have used a bit more railroading since Matt let them spend most of episode 2(?) chasing down a wild idea they had that was never going to lead anywhere.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

remember how matt had to write up a bunch of stuff he didn't think they'd be touching until late in the game because they decided to go off on the high seas instead of following the obvious path he had set for them?

a little bit of railroading is fine, especially in a limited 8 episode series. hell, matt could do with a little more himself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Joey McChrist posted:

remember how matt had to write up a bunch of stuff he didn't think they'd be touching until late in the game because they decided to go off on the high seas instead of following the obvious path he had set for them?

a little bit of railroading is fine, especially in a limited 8 episode series. hell, matt could do with a little more himself.

Honestly, all of this is why I make each level a separate adventure instead of going full sandbox. Players can't jump fully off the railroad tracks if they agree on what conflict needs resolving at the onset.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

DeathSandwich posted:

For real though, I'm super looking forward to where this campaign goes. The only one with a brain cell is also the only one with a conscience currently, so this is shaping up to be a fantasy Cohen Brothers movie.

Seriously, imagine like, Raising Arizona or The Big Lebowski if the protagonist was a Himbo Chad Dwarf Sorcerer and his pack of bumbling idiot friends.
I feel like this is the closest we're going to get to a CR game of Fiasco.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Double Agent posted:

I feel like this is the closest we're going to get to a CR game of Fiasco.

This crew would be amazing at Fiasco :allears:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The vod is up on youtube now.

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1409587450507268097

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I've found that the Underdark is great for a sandbox campaign. Give the players a central hub area (such as a trade outpost) and have tunnels radiating out from it that lead to other locations with their own factions.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

DarklyDreaming posted:

This crew would be amazing at Fiasco :allears:

Yes.

YES.

YES!

Imagine Sam playing Fiasco.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Keru posted:

The vod is up on youtube now.
Also up in LA, Billboards(?!l

https://mobile.twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1409669764163588100

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
That's kinda wild, and implies there will be more billboards? Billboards for a limited run series for a very niche side story to a D&D live roleplay video series. Crazy times.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Disappointing Pie posted:

That's kinda wild, and implies there will be more billboards? Billboards for a limited run series for a very niche side story to a D&D live roleplay video series. Crazy times.
They're a burgeoning multi-media empire now. It was only a matter of time

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

They had billboards for the start of C2 as well (while still with G&S).

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Hulk Smash! posted:

They had billboards for the start of C2 as well (while still with G&S).

I frequent the coffee shop in this photo and it's how I got into this series :haw:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Froghammer posted:

They're a burgeoning multi-media empire now. It was only a matter of time

Will their dedicated streaming service cost more or less than Alpha did?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/aimeecarrero/status/1409697363350855681

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

xarph posted:

It seems to be doing... well, not great, but at least passable for Collegehumor / Dimension 20 and it keeps the lights on over there. But I think Critrole has better viewership and they make good money both from the sponsorships and the Twitch subscriptions. Considering how quickly Geek & Sundry folded after Critical Role left, it seems reasonable that they in fact do pretty okay for themselves.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 29, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
All those places are are like Patreon but where they manage the processing and dont have to pay Patreon.

It's a pretty standard Model now.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

People on reddit are stupid, I'm finally catching up on ExU and Aabria is a loving DELIGHT.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

xarph posted:

I知 just excited for the exclusive miniature I値l be receiving on the anniversary of my subscription to CR+.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
CR's already doing way too well doing its own thing, but if it wasn't I'd see a lot of value in them bundling together with the other properly successful d&d stuff bundling and giving full access to their various archives, while also adding in video streams/unedited versions of the ones that are just podcasts. For the most part everyone's just doing their own patreon or other similar system though, and just because someone's a fan of one d&d thing doesn't necessarily mean they'd like another one, so the current approaches seem to be making sense and doing well enough.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TotalHell posted:

I知 just excited for the exclusive miniature I値l be receiving on the anniversary of my subscription to CR+.
Poska is great. "Barricade myself in a room in your house in order to exit a conversation I'm bored with" is a very strong energy

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Have they discussed whether Exandria Unlimited is going to be more than this initial 8 episode run? And by that I mean I feel like Exandria Unlimited is a good over-arching name for a spin off show and not just this one series. It'd be neat to get a sidquest series like this every six months or so.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Have they discussed whether Exandria Unlimited is going to be more than this initial 8 episode run? And by that I mean I feel like Exandria Unlimited is a good over-arching name for a spin off show and not just this one series. It'd be neat to get a sidquest series like this every six months or so.

The way they phrased it at the start was that it was going to be a name that they use for other stories as well.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The way they introduced it during the State of CR made it sound like it was their way of signal-boosting other players/dm's as well as having guests on where they get more than 1-2 episodes to play, as well as letting Matt rest and actually be a player.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Keru posted:

The way they introduced it during the State of CR made it sound like it was their way of signal-boosting other players/dm's as well as having guests on where they get more than 1-2 episodes to play, as well as letting Matt rest and actually be a player.

I think there's a good benefit to there being like secondary games and such woven into the schedule such that Matt is able to take it easy every few weeks. I got to imagine he works his rear end off near constantly when he's in DM mode. Hell, Aabria is doing essentially the same thing with Dimension 20 too, and giving Brennan an opportunity to be a player on his own show.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I think there's a good benefit to there being like secondary games and such woven into the schedule such that Matt is able to take it easy every few weeks. I got to imagine he works his rear end off near constantly when he's in DM mode. Hell, Aabria is doing essentially the same thing with Dimension 20 too, and giving Brennan an opportunity to be a player on his own show.

just remembered this is tomorrow

https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1409916452774240257

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

God I want to see Brennan and Matt together as players making some poor DMs life a living hell.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

God I want to see Brennan and Matt together as players making some poor DMs life a living hell.

Just run the EXU and new D20 streams simultaneously.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

"There is a native population of peacocks in the Pasadena area" Yeah no poo poo one of them stole my sandwich once :argh:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/erikaishii/status/1410103482447654913

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The way they talked about exu in the state of the roll, felt like they were setting it up to potentially run on non-thursdays during the main campaign as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Confused, excited, deeply troubled and questioning.