Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i have a perfectly good bike and i still look at these sick carbon gravel bikes all the time, despite the fact they cost as much as a cheap used car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Krogort posted:

I watch too many GCN video and now I really really want a bike with electronic shifting, disc brake and carbon wheels.
Please tell me I知 an idiot, i already have a 2015 bike that run fine.

I'll sell you my rim brake mavic LIMITED EDITION cosmics and you can have cool carbon wheels without changing frames. Wheels make the biggest difference to your bike and switching to carbon tubeless wheels completely transformed my old bike.

poemdexter posted:

You're an idiot. The electronic shifting seems neato because it shifts in less than half a crank, but whyyyyy....

Because then you can see what gear you're in on your head unit.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Krogort posted:

I watch too many GCN video and now I really really want a bike with electronic shifting, disc brake and carbon wheels.
Please tell me I’m an idiot, i already have a 2015 bike that run fine.

I was in the same boat so I bought one and unfortunately I can report it is Very Cool.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'll sell you my rim brake mavic LIMITED EDITION cosmics and you can have cool carbon wheels without changing frames. Wheels make the biggest difference to your bike and switching to carbon tubeless wheels completely transformed my old bike.

Because then you can see what gear you're in on your head unit.

Are you riding a bike or piloting a mech? What happens when the battery dies? Are you just stuck with a single gear bike until replaced?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:toot: excellent ride

BraveUlysses posted:

pretty great average speed there!

thank you both!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

poemdexter posted:

Are you riding a bike or piloting a mech? What happens when the battery dies? Are you just stuck with a single gear bike until replaced?

They're rechargable, but yeah, basically.

Shimano DI2 uses a single central battery and will kill your front shifter first and let you use your rear shifter until the battery is dead.

SRAM's system has small batteries on each shifter and you can swap them around if one dies before the other.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Krogort posted:

Please tell me I知 an idiot, i already have a 2015 bike that run fine.

I put electronic shifting on a folding bike I知 the wrong person to tell you this.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

e.pilot posted:

I put electronic shifting on a folding bike I知 the wrong person to tell you this.

Please don't insinuate your bike is undeserving of nice components just because it's a bit more flexible than average.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
If you got the $$$ get the thing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone got a good platform style hitch rack that doesn't cost as much as a bike?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I have di2 on my TT bike and being able to shift on the tri bars and on the horns is a game changer.

Other cool things about electric shifting:
* Shifting is really easy so you spend a lot more time in the correct gear. This can make a huge difference on longer rides. It helped me a lot with feeling comfortable on my tri bars as well.
* You can save trim presets on your laptop (maybe on your phone too if you have the bluetooth module) so switching wheels is really easy too once you've got a preset for each wheelset.
* It won't let you shift into a bad combination of front and rear, you can set it up so when you reach the top of your rear casette it automatically shifts the front up for you (and the rear down an appropriate amount).
* It makes a cool bzzt noise.

I wouldn't worry about the battery life at all. Shimano say 2-5000km per charge. I plug mine in every now and then when I remember and have never even got close to running low. It is important to either unplug the junction box when travelling though, or take a charger with you. The buttons can get knocked in transit and wear the battery out.

I have run out of battery on my power meter pedals a couple of times, but at least they still work as pedals.

If prices for Shimano groupsets weren't so high right now I'd absolutely be considering upgrading my 2012 Tiagra training bike to Ultegra Di2 instead of 105.

Yeep fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 28, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone got a good platform style hitch rack that doesn't cost as much as a bike?

Buy once, cry once.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

FogHelmut posted:

Well, how expensive is your bike? This could be yes or no!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Well, how expensive is your bike? This could be yes or no!

How much did it cost or how much have I spent on it since?

$600-800 from the big names seems like a lot for a rack.

Anything good in the sub $300 range?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is your bike carbon?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Lex Neville posted:

I did it friends!

I'm knackered, but I managed to pace myself fairly well. There was a headwind for most of the last 50 km that caused some intense suffering, so I'm pretty chuffed that I managed to finish it. Made it home just in time to watch the Netherlands play in the Euros too :)

Missed this because of lovely signal in the middle of nowhere but that's a drat fine effort.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is your bike carbon?

Only the forks.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Well, I知 half way

Legs feel fine, neck is sore, keeping on top of fuelling and liquid is hard.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
holy poo poo, that is nuts. halfway to where?

e: I just checked your post history. that sounds like an amazing adventure, good luck! (also, the trip report you wrote at the start of the month owned, I hope you do another one :))

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 28, 2021

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
I've ordered a new bike but it wont be ready till November :(
Anyone else with a big waiting list for their new bike?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

wibble posted:

Pretty much any one that has ordered a bike in 2021.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wibble posted:

I've ordered a new bike but it wont be ready till mid-2022

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I ordered my brompton late January 2020 and it came the weekend after the NBA ended their season, I feel super lucky because the bikes dried up fast

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ordered my Orro (from stock) in the last week of March 2020 because I had a funny feeling it would be my last chance for a while

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I dont know the best place to ask this.

I have a town / touring bike that I run a 1x9 speed friction setup on. For some reason, and it's always done this, sometimes when I shift, the chain slips off up front to the outside between the (small) chainguard and the chainring.

I have and have always had a beat up old rear end XT rear der on there, and a newish top mounted Dura Ace 9 speed bar end shifter that I have set and intentionally run friction on.

I dont want to replace the whole drivetrain, so should I start by buying the best 9 speed der I can and hope that the chain tension is increased to where it wont throw?

Does it matter what der I put on there since I run friction? Looks like a SRAM X5 is the best 9 speed der I can get. I would run a better 11 speed rear der if it didnt matter how much cable I was pulling since its friction.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 29, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which direction are you shifting when it drops? How tight is the chain in the big cog?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

kimbo305 posted:

Which direction are you shifting when it drops? How tight is the chain in the big cog?

I have to think about it, but nearly positive it's when I'm shifting up the cassette to an easier gear.

Here is a pic of the rear cassette and der. Pay no mind to the fact that the chain is not fully on the cassette, that was just me shifting it all the way to the top to take a pic and the chain didnt quite settle onto the teeth

along with a pic of the front:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The chain could be shorter, but you shouldn't get much of a bounce in a loose chain when shifting into a bigger gear. I would shorten the chain, but might not expect it to solve the problem.

Significant chainring wear might lead to a weird shifting of the chain that causes try to go off. The cog wear from zooming into that first pic might be a problem?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Chainring wear? Loose bolts on the chainring causing some movement? Maybe a narrow-wide would help if it's a standard chainring right now?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Shifting off the top of the cassette (or bottom) point to limit screw issues right?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Lex Neville posted:

I did it friends!

I'm knackered, but I managed to pace myself fairly well. There was a headwind for most of the last 50 km that caused some intense suffering, so I'm pretty chuffed that I managed to finish it. Made it home just in time to watch the Netherlands play in the Euros too :)

Hell yeah. That's a drat fine showing! Were you riding solo?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Shifting off the top of the cassette (or bottom) point to limit screw issues right?

It does, but their problem is the chain coming off at the crank end of things on a 1x setup.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 29, 2021

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Try a narrow-wide chainring before throwing down derailleur money, IMO.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hey, I had a very similar problem when I tried running 1x with a bar end shifter. For whatever reason, friction shifting seems to make it easy to pull your chain off the chainring. The best solution is a narrow-wide chainring IMO

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Try a narrow-wide chainring before throwing down derailleur money, IMO.

Depending on the BCD, a n-w ring might be close to a NOS 9-speed derailleur.

FWIW, a SRAM 10 speed derailleur has a slightly higher motion ratio, so the same amount of cable pull would be more than enough to sweep your 9-speed cassette.
And of course 10 speed RDs are clutched. But that's definitely throwing money at the problem before trying to rule out the basics.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

spf3million posted:

Hell yeah. That's a drat fine showing! Were you riding solo?

Thank you! Yeah, I was

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

wibble posted:

Thanks to the posters in here I ordered a Cube Agree last night that should be delivered later this week.
Sram Force Etap and carbon wheels for 4000euro almost seems like a bargain these days.
I can't wait !

Krogort fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 29, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love Cube bikes OP and thats a sweet rear end colourway.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
wow that looks great, enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've wanted a cube time trial bike for years maybe I'll get one.