Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

aww it's dancing that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

And if they ever released a game, you know the main gameplay loop will be hunting down Idris owners, because who could resist griefing people who paid $1.5k for a video game ship.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Seriously since I’ve been following the thread in like 2016 the only changes to the game I’m aware of are more ships and locations that are cripplingly bugged. No gameplay loops or mechanics at all.

Are there any “missions” besides take the glitch box to point B or shoot the bad man? Do they still pay so little it’s pointless?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Seriously since I’ve been following the thread in like 2016 the only changes to the game I’m aware of are more ships and locations that are cripplingly bugged. No gameplay loops or mechanics at all.

Are there any “missions” besides take the glitch box to point B or shoot the bad man? Do they still pay so little it’s pointless?

Yes, now there is "prison gameplay!"

The joke is that I'm not kidding. The Aristocrats!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So BDSM role play as a gameplay loop

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/2BuX6pg.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

There are a few other missions but they tend to vary between "Cripplingly bugged" and "Cripplingly bugged and also they don't pay well." None are really worth detailing- there are a few bespoke jacket-wearing NPC's who have story missions for you, but the story missions are all gated behind rep grinds that require doing the regular missions, so mostly you can't unlock them, and then they tend to just be a slight variation on the regular mission with like, a glitchy voice line or two.

The only interesting thing they did in the last year was the dynamic server events, which are not dynamic in any way- they are static scenarios that the devs have to reboot the servers to turn on and off. But they're supposed to be whole-server interactive missions, with lots of objectives. I can't review them, I haven't got enough interest to log in and play them during the like 1 week per quarter when they're apparently gonna run them.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Sarsapariller posted:

There are a few other missions but they tend to vary between "Cripplingly bugged" and "Cripplingly bugged and also they don't pay well." None are really worth detailing- there are a few bespoke jacket-wearing NPC's who have story missions for you, but the story missions are all gated behind rep grinds that require doing the regular missions, so mostly you can't unlock them, and then they tend to just be a slight variation on the regular mission with like, a glitchy voice line or two.

The only interesting thing they did in the last year was the dynamic server events, which are not dynamic in any way- they are static scenarios that the devs have to reboot the servers to turn on and off. But they're supposed to be whole-server interactive missions, with lots of objectives. I can't review them, I haven't got enough interest to log in and play them during the like 1 week per quarter when they're apparently gonna run them.

What's to review? You put a box in a ship and then fly the ship to a place. Then you try to blow up a ship. It's the same mess of half-finished, poorly conceived "gameplay loops" as the rest of the game, only compiled into an "event" that would be a basic mission in a real game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes, now there is "prison gameplay!"

The joke is that I'm not kidding. The Aristocrats!

And the "prison gameplay" is to just always do the exact same lovely time-consuming tasks with no story or variability, or alternatively just stop playing the game for a day (which is what most people opt for)

Its not really gameplay at all.

If (player is wanted) { teleport player to jail position }

That's about all the work they managed to pull off.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

And the "prison gameplay" is to just always do the exact same lovely time-consuming tasks with no story or variability, or alternatively just stop playing the game for a day (which is what most people opt for)

Its not really gameplay at all.

If (player is wanted) { teleport player to jail position }

That's about all the work they managed to pull off.

How do the fans rationalize the lack of fidelity in being teleported directly to prison? Is this another "tier zero" thing that they're sure is just a placeholder, and the real game will have cops wrestling you to the ground and transporting you to prison so that you can use the entire 30m ride to plan your daring escape, or are they more accepting of something so obviously game-like because they think it will keep griefers from blowing up their precious Idris?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

At best SC will be a virtual yacht club, and I'm 100% in favor of sequestering people like that.

pretty sure Jorunn sells 890 Jump Yacht Club t shirts

https://starcitizen.tools/ORG:ORIGIN_600i_OWNERS%27_CLUB

edit: it's absolutely e-gilded age poo poo that drives the citizens, which is why I'm always torn between "I'm glad Roberts is taking these assholes' money and giving it to developers" and "I genuinely want to watch these people see their dream die"

text editor fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 28, 2021

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Trilobite posted:

How do the fans rationalize the lack of fidelity in being teleported directly to prison? Is this another "tier zero" thing that they're sure is just a placeholder, and the real game will have cops wrestling you to the ground and transporting you to prison so that you can use the entire 30m ride to plan your daring escape, or are they more accepting of something so obviously game-like because they think it will keep griefers from blowing up their precious Idris?

I hope they add Space Court and Space Superior Court and Space Supreme Court so that there are full gameplay loops of researching Space Law for Space Trials, but only after you are forced to go to Space Law School for real-time years. The thrill! The glory!

Edit: I want to come home from a long day of work, kiss my kids goodnight, and settle in to file a Space appeals brief to try to overturn the conviction of my Space Client for castration and slavery.

Deskeletonized fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Trilobite posted:

Trilobite posted:

They’ll never go to prison. :colbert:

That’s only for those evil griefers. And the griefers don’t deserve fidelity in the first place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trilobite posted:

How do they rationalize the lack of fidelity in loving stairs? :shrug:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

William Bear posted:

Space Station 13, because of its detailed simulation, is a useful guide here. In SS13, you can be the captain, head of a department, or a security officer. You can also be a traitor or monster working against the crew. Those can be exciting, action-packed roles.

Yet you can also be a janitor, cook, or clown. In such roles, you often have to find your own fun and do more role-playing. I've occasionally had fun finding an interesting gimmick for each of those jobs.

I guess the difference is switching it up. In many Star Citizens' heads, they hang out with the same people all the time who do the same job. The person with an assault rifle standing outside the bridge who salutes them as they walk in is a person who does nothing but that on the crew. In SS13, it's easy to be captain for one hour-long round, then be a clown the next.

Not to mention being captain or department head ends up not meaning very much when half the station catches fire and the clowns are taking over.

I know SS13 wasn't necessarily designed with the intent of always devolving into chaos but that's its natural state.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think the point is they want that scenario, only where the NPCs are actually players, and it can't happen because no one wants to play the part of those NPCs.

I can totally do this. Check out how almost human I seem:

Hello
%playernamefirst%!

Welcome to
%mylocation%!

I've been expecting you. It looks like because we are
%friendlevel%
I can give you these missions.

%missionlistselect%

Ah I see you took
%missionselection[i]%
this is a good mission I'd do myself, but I think you can handle it!

Be sure to
%missiongoal%
and remember to also do
%missionsubgoal%!

You've been a
%friendleveltype%
%friendlevel%
to me, so
%friendlevelcharacterresults%.

I hope to
%friendlevelgoodbyetype%
see you again here on
%mylocation%.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Zaphod42 posted:

How do they rationalize the lack of fidelity in loving stairs? :shrug:

How do you make a Star Citizen cry? Tell them this game came out in 2005.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qE3sdcC2M4&t=31s

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trilobite posted:

They don't acknowledge it. Ta-dah!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I saw a Star Citizen fan in a Youtube comment yesterday, and he talked about how Star Citizen needs all the money from the ships to develop the ground-breaking game they're making. He said that he had 15 years in game development and realized that to make such a complex game you need $24k workstations, lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I saw a Star Citizen fan in a Youtube comment yesterday, and he talked about how Star Citizen needs all the money from the ships to develop the ground-breaking game they're making. He said that he had 15 years in game development and realized that to make such a complex game you need $24k workstations, lmao

Lmao, I'd like to see his resume.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Gravity_Storm posted:

Its genius isnt it. They wont even care that they were robbed.

Not only do they not care, they vigorously insist that they weren't robbed and actually really like it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao, I'd like to see his resume.

If he did not work on Line of Defense, his opinions do not matter.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Tell him that I can get some Silicon Graphics workstations for cheap if he's interested. Real cheap.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

William Bear posted:

How do you make a Star Citizen cry?

How do you make them stop crying?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Deskeletonized posted:

I hope they add Space Court and Space Superior Court and Space Supreme Court so that there are full gameplay loops of researching Space Law for Space Trials, but only after you are forced to go to Space Law School for real-time years. The thrill! The glory!

Edit: I want to come home from a long day of work, kiss my kids goodnight, and settle in to file a Space appeals brief to try to overturn the conviction of my Space Client for castration and slavery.

Oh my god, just imagine Space Jury Duty! How thrilling! Server meshing can't come soon enough!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
for reals thought I ran into sandi at the bel air hotel the other night but alas wasn't her. this was after my friends new gal took some excellent vitamins at the loving getty. jesus christ, the bundle of nervous, explosive energy coming offa that girl as she ogled ancient statue cock was really something

also I gotta say even though I grew up around rich pampered motherfuckers I was NOT expecting baltaire's waygu filets to be 75 motherfuckin bux an ounce

Baltaire's woulda been a nice place for the <3P launch party but unfortunately a new venue will have to be chosen since I'm moving to Virginia in like 8 weeks

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

William Bear posted:

Space Station 13, because of its detailed simulation, is a useful guide here. In SS13, you can be the captain, head of a department, or a security officer. You can also be a traitor or monster working against the crew. Those can be exciting, action-packed roles.

Yet you can also be a janitor, cook, or clown. In such roles, you often have to find your own fun and do more role-playing. I've occasionally had fun finding an interesting gimmick for each of those jobs.

I guess the difference is switching it up. In many Star Citizens' heads, they hang out with the same people all the time who do the same job. The person with an assault rifle standing outside the bridge who salutes them as they walk in is a person who does nothing but that on the crew. In SS13, it's easy to be captain for one hour-long round, then be a clown the next.

Star Citizen is much more complex, the capitan is also the clown, but clowns cannot be captains.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Hey friends is star citizen game still poo poo? Thanks in advance

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s actually super good buy an idris thanks

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Nice I plan to use one of the thousands of capital ships goon leaders have been hoarding so we can dominate the game at launch. Just have to keep pretending we think the game is a hosed project in development hell so nobody catches on to the plan.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I fear our goon fleets janitor to captain ratio is getting too low, we don't want to be known as the org with all the dirty Idris. (It's going to be hard to use slaves to clean our fleet after we have cut their limbs off - any ideas?)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 29, 2021

ravennest_89
Feb 8, 2019

GhostDog posted:

As someone working on SAP systems with lots of customer code I just burst out laughing.

And then I started crying.

ABAP hug man, this whole thread makes me cackle and laugh like a maniac.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Kosumo posted:

I fear our goon fleets janitor to captain ratio is getting too low, we don't want to be known as the org with all the dirty Idris. (It's going to be hard to use slaves to clean our fleet after we have cut their limbs off - any ideas?)

Robot bodies for all goons. You don't make space waste if you run off of clean burning coal!

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Will SC fail or the US economy fail first? The world awaits in breathless anticipation.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

How do you gently caress up making a prettier Freelancer? It's incredible.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Theotus posted:

How do you gently caress up making a prettier Freelancer? It's incredible.
Well, :crobear: was unable to finish the original Freelancer too.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

TheAgent posted:

for reals thought I ran into sandi at the bel air hotel the other night but alas wasn't her. this was after my friends new gal took some excellent vitamins at the loving getty. jesus christ, the bundle of nervous, explosive energy coming offa that girl as she ogled ancient statue cock was really something

also I gotta say even though I grew up around rich pampered motherfuckers I was NOT expecting baltaire's waygu filets to be 75 motherfuckin bux an ounce

Baltaire's woulda been a nice place for the <3P launch party but unfortunately a new venue will have to be chosen since I'm moving to Virginia in like 8 weeks

Does this mean you won't be getting Hello info dumps anymore?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Solarin posted:

Nice I plan to use one of the thousands of capital ships goon leaders have been hoarding so we can dominate the game at launch. Just have to keep pretending we think the game is a hosed project in development hell so nobody catches on to the plan.

jfc dude the paywall is down right now people can see this at least use the opsec channels

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sammus posted:

Robot bodies for all goons. You don't make space waste if you run off of clean burning coal!

What is the coal planet, I have so many land claims to put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Not been on this thread in aaaages. Did Chris Roberts win? It feels like Chris Roberts won.