Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Yeah honestly I don't think it was the 10-only requirement that made DX12 support slow, it's the fact that DX12 was a huge change from what came before.

Also yeah, if Win10 uptake was the limiting factor for DX12 then developers would have jumped on Vulkan instead

Klyith posted:

The better metaphor would be DX10 & Vista, where the fact that tons of people refused Vista really did have an impact. If Win11 turns out to suck that'll be a factor.

Vista sucking certainly didn't help but I think DX10 uptake was mainly limited by it being a PC-only API, consoles jumped directly from DX9-ish GPUs to DX11-class GPUs

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even if it is a great OS, it won’t be the most common gaming platform for years due to Windows awful adoption rates and the hundreds of millions of gaming cafe computers in Asia with updates disabled. If it’s not the common platform, a lot of developers won’t bother with its features as we’ve seen repeatedly.

Win10 was launched in 2015, didn’t crack 50% on Steam until 2017, and didn’t break 50% of overall market share until 2018. Three years. Tying DirectStorage to Win11 unnecessarily is bad for adoption of a feature that could dramatically improve gaming on the PC, going by how well received quick resume has been on the Xbox.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I doubt Quick Resume will come to PC, that's tied to the weird Xbox hypervisor architecture where they run games inside dedicated virtual machines

When you suspend a game on the Xbox it's effectively doing a full snapshot of the entire (virtualized) game OS

It would have to be implemented very differently on PC to snapshot at the process level instead

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I just meant the general concept of less load times, not full quick resume. That would be too cool and simple for us PC technomasochists. :smithcloud:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

Three years.
It takes roughly that long to make a game, so...

I remember plainly the "where is DX12 support?" articles back then, and most of them were talking about how OS & hardware adoption seemed good among core gamer market and it was the games lagging.

quote:

Tying DirectStorage to Win11 unnecessarily is bad for adoption of a feature that could dramatically improve gaming on the PC

Yes, it is a crappy move.

Though keep in mind that if the XbSX pulls ahead of the PS5, you're gonna see a whole lot of crappy moves for PC gaming from MS. They only have the best interests of the PC gaming space at heart when their console is losing. Rather than complain about directstorage being exclusive to Win11, convince your friends to buy a PS5.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Klyith posted:

Rather than complain about directstorage being exclusive to Win11, convince your friends to buy a PS5.

Easier said than done, given the lack of PS5's available to buy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

All MS has to do is make it a required feature for games produced by MS owned studios. And keep buying studios. Skyrim 2022: now with a new hat direct storage.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The system requirements for DirectStorage are pretty weird

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

quote:

DirectStorage requires 1 TB or greater NVMe SSD to store and run games that uses the "Standard NVM Express Controller" driver and a DirectX 12 Ultimate GPU.

Why does the size of the SSD matter? Not sure about the DX12U requirement either but maybe there's a reason for that

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Probably because it's supposed to allow the GPU to talk to the ssd without hammering the processor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

In the DirectStorage for PC presentation they said the first iteration would still pass data via SSD->CPU->GPU, just in a more optimized manner. It's technically possible for them to do a SSD->GPU fast path but they're not going there yet.

I'm thinking the GPU requirement might have something to do with in-memory data layouts being standardized so they can blast data from disk into VRAM without any post-processing to get it into the format the hardware expects.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Win11 is probably going to roll out substantially more quickly than Win10

those who have it who know it's just a reskin aren't going to hold out like the Win7 holdouts

people still holding out on Win7 are already serving time in multiple botnets / malware c&c aren't going to change their minds about Win11

a lot of people are about to learn where to buy a TPM module and where it connects to a desktop motherboard

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think I've had a PC without a TPM for a very long time

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Potato Salad posted:

Win11 is probably going to roll out substantially more quickly than Win10

those who have it who know it's just a reskin aren't going to hold out like the Win7 holdouts

people still holding out on Win7 are already serving time in multiple botnets / malware c&c aren't going to change their minds about Win11

a lot of people are about to learn where to buy a TPM module and where it connects to a desktop motherboard

Mandatory Microsoft sign in is gonna make it a hard no for me until someone finds a way to disable it tbh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My 8700k system has a tpm module header but no doodad, guess I’ll have to get one of those.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

Why does the size of the SSD matter? Not sure about the DX12U requirement either but maybe there's a reason for that

The DX12U is probably totally logical, there's likely some actual silicon needed to support this. MS almost certainly was talking to AMD & Nvidia about the implementation of this stuff well before they announced it.

Size of SSD is weird though. It may be a proxy to make sure that drives meet a minimum performance threshold? Size of SSD correlates with number of flash chips correlates with performance. And so this is their "plain language" spec because telling normal people that they need a 2500MBPS drive produces confusion. Just look at the TPM stuff happening now.

Older drives from the NVMe era had pretty steep drop-off at smaller sizes. But the recent performance PCIe 3 drives can max out the bus bandwidth even on a 500GB drive though, so I dunno.

Potato Salad posted:

priznat posted:

My 8700k system has a tpm module header but no doodad, guess I’ll have to get one of those.

Intel & AMD CPUs have it built in for a while now, you don't need a TPM dongle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

Intel & AMD CPUs have it built in for a while now, you don't need a TPM dongle.

Really? The little health checkup app says my system can't take it and that was about the only thing. AFAIK the TPM stuff is enabled in the bios. Hm.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Really? The little health checkup app says my system can't take it and that was about the only thing. AFAIK the TPM stuff is enabled in the bios. Hm.

Also UEFI-only mode and have Secure Boot turned on? A lot of mobos for the DIY PC market have Secure Boot turned off by default, because up until today it mostly just fucks things up / makes OS install harder.

(Also, some BIOSes need more than one setting enabled for the TPM to be fully on.)

You can run the command get-tpm in PwerShell (admin mode needed) to get more detail about system's TPM.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also for Intel, look for settings in the BIOS that says PTT Security, Intel Trusted Execution, or Intel Platform Security. For Ryzen, it will probably be called fTPM. Also my experience with a lot of these on gamer platforms haven't been great so this is gonna be so fun to walk grandma through.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cygni posted:

Mandatory Microsoft sign in is gonna make it a hard no for me until someone finds a way to disable it tbh.

consumer desktop sso is a win in my books, Onedrive and Windows Hello has essentially eliminated data loss as an issue when members of my extended family regularly lose/kill and replace their laptops

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wonder if you can do some thin provisioning hijinx to trick out the size requirement

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhyteRyce posted:

Wonder if you can do some thin provisioning hijinx to trick out the size requirement

It's unlikely to be like that, this is the paper specification. So if you don't have a 1TB drive and you get crap performance, MS says "sucks to be you". If you have a 500GB 980 Pro you can ignore it and it'll work fine, probably.

It's like high-end GPUs requiring 750 watt power supplies on the box. They work fine with a good PSU that's 100 or more watts less than that. But that's what they put in writing to protect themselves from warranty claims caused by crap PSUs.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Klyith posted:

Also UEFI-only mode and have Secure Boot turned on? A lot of mobos for the DIY PC market have Secure Boot turned off by default, because up until today it mostly just fucks things up / makes OS install harder.

(Also, some BIOSes need more than one setting enabled for the TPM to be fully on.)

You can run the command get-tpm in PwerShell (admin mode needed) to get more detail about system's TPM.

I have never heard of a TPM before today, but I bought my mobo and processor in 2018. I'm probably good, even though the W11 tool says I'm not, right?

I tried to run this command but it said "get" wasn't a recognized system command.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

I have never heard of a TPM before today, but I bought my mobo and processor in 2018. I'm probably good, even though the W11 tool says I'm not, right?

I tried to run this command but it said "get" wasn't a recognized system command.

get-tpm is all one command (no space before dash), and it looks like mine has a lot of “False” so I will have to check my BIOS some more.

I’m such a sucker for whatever the latest OS is I am usually upgrading as soon as I can.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Klyith posted:

The DX12U is probably totally logical, there's likely some actual silicon needed to support this. MS almost certainly was talking to AMD & Nvidia about the implementation of this stuff well before they announced it.

The DX12 Ultimate requirement and the 1TB size requirement have both been dropped from the DirectStorage requirements. Updated wording just says the drive needs to use the "Standard NVM Express Controller" driver and a DirectX12 GPU with Shader Model 6.0 support.

Lest anyone still holding on to a Radeon HD 7790 get their hopes up, I'm guessing it'll probably also require driver support on the GPU side.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That sounds more reasonable, I guess the generic Windows NVMe driver has hooks for accessing some NVMe-specific features they need (multiple queues?) and their decompression kernels target SM6.0

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cygni posted:

Looks like it's just for the "home" version.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looking to get a high capacity external hard disk. Any brands in particular to stay clear of?

WD's Easystore is 5TB for $100

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 29, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Looking to get a high capacity external hard disk. Any brands in particular to stay clear of?

I've been using an 8TB Easystore for years and have had no issues

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Should I be worried about my OS SSD? It's a Samsung 860 250gb and I just noticed that it was sitting at 55 degrees while I was playing a game. Now it's sitting at 44 idle. Is it going bad?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Who knows, but it's probably not to do with those temperatures.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

The two big things I look for with externals is whether the disk inside is SMR and whether its easily shuckable. Even if you don't plan on shucking now, it is a very nice option to have down the road. The SMR thing likely doesn't really matter for most users, but again its something that down the road you might regret.

Another thing to know is that the externals occasionally go on insane discount. I've purchased 2 of the 12TB WD Elements (same drive as the easystore but not Best Buy exclusive. Its stupid) for less than $200 each in the last year, so it is probably worth waiting for a sale unless you have a pressing need.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Orc Priest posted:

Should I be worried about my OS SSD? It's a Samsung 860 250gb and I just noticed that it was sitting at 55 degrees while I was playing a game. Now it's sitting at 44 idle. Is it going bad?

Very unlikely. SSD's don't suddenly poo poo more heat out when they go bad, they just...stop working.

The temp delta while playing a game is likely both because it's actually getting some use from the game as well as from the interior of your case likely heating up in general because of the heat your GPU/CPU are dumping into it.

A 860 Evo is rated for 0-70C. 55C ain't a problem, though it is a bit higher than "normal" and might point to crappy airflow in general in your case.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Any suggestions for a (almost entirely reads) 2TB m.2 game/movie library drive?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ilkhan posted:

Any suggestions for a (almost entirely reads) 2TB m.2 game/movie library drive?

Assuming this will always be a secondary storage drive (and therefore can tolerate QLC just fine):

Inland Platinum is very inexpensive but also quite good. It has an 8 channel controller, so for basic read speeds it's on par with higher-end gen3 drives.

Sabrent Rocket Q4 is $100 more but is PCIe g4. This may be worth it long term if whatever you buy now will be what you'll be using for 3-4 years to come and you are a AAA big-games person. I generally don't think the PCIe4 cost bump is worth it right now, when we'll be able to buy the same drives at no premium in the future. But depending on your upgrade horizons it might pan out.

If the drive you buy today may change into a system drive later or in a different computer, a QLC drive has more caveats and these suggestions are both QLC. (Though big QLC drives are also fine as a system drive for a non-enthusiast user.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Klyith posted:

Assuming this will always be a secondary storage drive (and therefore can tolerate QLC just fine):

Inland Platinum is very inexpensive but also quite good. It has an 8 channel controller, so for basic read speeds it's on par with higher-end gen3 drives.

Sabrent Rocket Q4 is $100 more but is PCIe g4. This may be worth it long term if whatever you buy now will be what you'll be using for 3-4 years to come and you are a AAA big-games person. I generally don't think the PCIe4 cost bump is worth it right now, when we'll be able to buy the same drives at no premium in the future. But depending on your upgrade horizons it might pan out.

If the drive you buy today may change into a system drive later or in a different computer, a QLC drive has more caveats and these suggestions are both QLC. (Though big QLC drives are also fine as a system drive for a non-enthusiast user.)
It may hold a secondary linux partition, but it'll never be the primary windows host. The inland seems perfect.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've got a ton of HDDs in my custom built PC. Since I need to replace it anyway as I'm on the 6th gen Intel and also things are becoming a bit slow, I was wanting to just go prebuilt, modify it online, and go with a NAS for those extra HDDs.

https://www.newegg.com/synology-ds1520/p/N82E16822108747?Item=N82E16822108747 Would this be a good one?

Unfortunately, I can't use BackBlaze on my NAS since they don't like that...but we'll see what can be done, I suppose.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://youtu.be/29Nh3p6779E

Sign me up for the mountain of disused U.2/U.3 enterprise drives.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EDSFF 1C connectors are not keyed so you can plug them in backwards, normally not an issue because they’re usually in a backplane where you can only slide them in one way due to the offset but in a development environment where it is connected to oculink or mcio cables this should get very exciting lol.

Should have a special prize for the first person at my work who fries a drive :haw:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Everyone call out your favorite e1.s thickness

15mm supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Everyone call out your favorite e1.s thickness

15mm supremacy

E3.S 2T thicc lads or E1.S 25mm superchonk!

I just want a x16 edsff drive hoo baby