Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
The lurk landmark is good design but low power level, cheap repetitive utility changes the feel of the game without ever winning it outright or feeling bad if you can't remove it or if you never draw it. It costs a card and has a small upside though (and it's so narrow, it doesn't even work with deep). Lurk is already going to have problems with running out of gas and drawing removal for must-remove cards, the landmark makes those problems worse.

I think bloodbait is bad too, you go down a card and make your topdeck a pretty bad 2 drop just so you can guarantee lurk and a shot at an off-cycle lurk. It's really all-in for not too great a payoff.

Redfin looks bad in comparison to merciless hunter but it's easily good enough for the lurk deck. The one drop exists to pollute the lurker pool.

The List has a lot of potential, I like it. Vulnerable works well with overwhelm and overwhelm works well with big blobs of attack and with free attacks. You can also do something like level up renekton the turn you play him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Saw someone streaming a leaked reveal video and when Pyke lurks he turns into a spell that summons him and strikes a unit and when a levelled Pyke kills a unit it strikes the weakest enemy and that's not "once per turn" or anything, so he can board clear. His level up requirement was "allied Pykes have dealt 15 damage" I think. He's a 2/4 with lurk (obviously) and quick attack.

edit: found the video https://streamable.com/arfkb4

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 26, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Well that seems to fit Pyke from league well, in that Pyke is going to eat a ton of nerfs after releasing overpowered and just chains kills by spamming his ult.

Have a new card.

And a unexpected Shen Boat

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 26, 2021

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Pilchenstein posted:

Saw someone streaming a leaked reveal video and when Pyke lurks he turns into a spell that summons him and strikes a unit and when a levelled Pyke kills a unit it strikes the weakest enemy and that's not "once per turn" or anything, so he can board clear. His level up requirement was "allied Pykes have dealt 15 damage" I think. He's a 2/4 with lurk (obviously) and quick attack.

edit: found the video https://streamable.com/arfkb4

It's going to be so sweet to counter that spell.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Official version here. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GU-f_MFB3Rs

Pyke looks nasty as hell if the opponent isn’t paying attention, which fits his league character marvellously.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Pyke's champ spell is bone skewer, which is pretty perfect. It advances his level up, guarantees lurk, and on attack transforms him into death from below. I'm guessing that at level 2 it will also trigger his multikill mode. The champs definitely bail out lurk from being too awful, but my feeling is that the units are pretty weak, you can just trade off random stuff for them and hold on to removal/freezes/stuns to neuter the champs. Probably weak to wide aggro as well, since it takes a while for lurk units to become really threatening and bone skewer and reksai take blockers off your board.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm guessing that at level 2 it will also trigger his multikill mode.
Yeah it does, they specifically showed that interaction in the video.

Lurk does looks like it may be vulnerable to faster more aggressive decks, the same weakness Azirelia has. But I'm a little hesitant in that take because even without getting lurk buffed, their units have really good statlines for blocking into aggro.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

I sort of like treasure seeker and baboon. You'd really hope you have better things to do with 5 mana than summon 2 2/2s, even at burst speed. Reaver's row reminds me of history of benalia except the buff is permanent but turn 7 or 8 payoff is really late for an aggro deck in this meta particularly since you're taking turn 5 off.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Elnuk tribal continues to exist for some reason.

I'm going to want to find a deck that makes Glorious Evolution work.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do hope this is the final expansion they split up into multiple parts, it's sorta annoying to have cards that are supposed to work together be released several months apart.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do hope this is the final expansion they split up into multiple parts, it's sorta annoying to have cards that are supposed to work together be released several months apart.
Have they said they're going back to one big release? Word was this was going to be the first expansion designed from the start to be released in three chunks so wouldn't be as bad but I guess time will tell lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hellioning posted:

Elnuk tribal continues to exist for some reason.

I'm going to want to find a deck that makes Glorious Evolution work.

Viktor and the augment cards will love it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It has that problem of being a 10 mana "do nothing" card that can be denied, but it looks fun at least and that 1 mana 1/3 tech support card actually has a purpose now for Viktor.

The time has come is -1/1 compared to other 5 mana "summon a dude" spells but it is burst speed so against shurima it'll always be something control can do to chump block two of your guys with 2/2's.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 28, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Reaver's Row and Volunteer Elnuk seem unbelievably bad. I'm not booked up on Elnuk synergy and maybe I'm missing at the inevitability of dropping Reaver''s Row somehow or am missing how it works. I am assuming (1) it's not a permanent buff to all 1 drops and (2) the 1 drops have to be in play when the countdown pops off. If either of these assumptions are incorrect then it gets marginally better.

The rest of the cards seem to exist for a reason. I'm not entirely sure why the 10 mana card costs 10 mana instead of 5-7 mana, but its reason for existence seems to be "I just played this card and somehow beat you" and costing it at 10 really emphasizes that design goal over a more reasonable lower mana cost. I'm having a very hard time imagining playtesting this card at 8 mana and going "the ability to jam this out on t5 after not using 3 mana during the earlier turns is just too strong". Similarly, I'm having a hard time imagining it being in an A tier deck even at 5 mana but 5 is a dangerous mana cost for it due to potential combos that may or may not currently exist.

Pilchenstein posted:

Have they said they're going back to one big release? Word was this was going to be the first expansion designed from the start to be released in three chunks so wouldn't be as bad but I guess time will tell lol
The release format was mandated from above. Aka, it came from "this will make us more money/give us better player retention" rather than "this will make the game better for players".

I hope it changes personally because this tiered release thing hasn't been all that interesting. I'd much rather have one big release and then some balance patches. They seem to be moving toward split release + balance patches which will probably be just as good.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 28, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
AFAIK, there are no plans to change the release format. This is the last set that wasn't designed with the format in mind (it was designed with one big release in mind). Future sets have been designed with the big/tiny/tiny format in mind.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

As much as I want to be excited that Viktor got a random support card I can't help but wonder when the hell you will actually be able to play a 10 mana slow spell and have it stick. And then have the game keep going long enough to make use of it.

Which is a shame because it's pretty hilarious how many things they just slammed into one card for that.

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Khorne posted:

Reaver's Row and Volunteer Elnuk seem unbelievably bad. I'm not booked up on Elnuk synergy and maybe I'm missing at the inevitability of dropping Reaver''s Row somehow or am missing how it works. I am assuming (1) it's not a permanent buff to all 1 drops and (2) the 1 drops have to be in play when the countdown pops off. If either of these assumptions are incorrect then it gets marginally better.

Reaver’s Row says “grant”, so probably the buff is permanent, but I think you’re right that they have to be in play since it doesn’t say “1 drops everywhere”. So no strengthening the powder pandemonium monkey deck or making fearsome sand soldiers, sigh.

“When I count down” sounds like it gives you a random 1 drop every round, too, rather than just one at the end. So you probably get 2 guaranteed 1 drops plus the buff.

Still doesn’t seem great, I agree. Maybe it’s supposed to be a finisher for Fizz/elusives or something.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

coldtaxi posted:

Reaver’s Row says “grant”, so probably the buff is permanent, but I think you’re right that they have to be in play since it doesn’t say “1 drops everywhere”. So no strengthening the powder pandemonium monkey deck or making fearsome sand soldiers, sigh.

“When I count down” sounds like it gives you a random 1 drop every round, too, rather than just one at the end. So you probably get 2 guaranteed 1 drops plus the buff.

Still doesn’t seem great, I agree. Maybe it’s supposed to be a finisher for Fizz/elusives or something.
Two free one drops isn't bad. I overlooked that completely. That makes the card better than I thought. The buff should be permanent on what it buffs, but it's not permanent on everything.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Volunteer Elnuk already has people talking about a possible return of ezreal freeze elnuks. If you weren't around in beta it was a meta defining deck in its time which was much maligned due to games swinging on the rng of how many nuks landed on turn 5.

Here's a decent representative example:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SoftGeniusMallardSaltBae

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hit button posted:

Volunteer Elnuk already has people talking about a possible return of ezreal freeze elnuks. If you weren't around in beta it was a meta defining deck in its time which was much maligned due to games swinging on the rng of how many nuks landed on turn 5.
I welcome being wrong when the result is summoning a board full of mighty beasts for 5 mana.

and much like swim in that video, I also concede when I have no chance of winning so I don't waste time dragging out lost games.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1409542108164235269

As everyone expected it looks like Ekko is gonna be focused on Predict in some way. Time Trick looks excellent.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
All four of those should see plenty of play.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Am i imagining things or did a card with TimeWinder's ability already exist?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eeepies posted:

Am i imagining things or did a card with TimeWinder's ability already exist?

Statikk Shock draws a card instead of discarding one, but costs 4.

Kinda weird that the wording is ever so slightly different between them though.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Does Timewinder let you target the same target twice? I think so, right?

It's like a splittable Mystic Shot, yeah?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1409904492871487489

Okay yeah I'm in on this crazy bastard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I guess you have to run him with Chirean Posse (feels bad that you cant really be in SI but at least you still get iterative improvement). He's so fragile and you have to sink so much mana into predicting that you can't really play normal cards.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 29, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
P&Z has enough draw that you don't really need the Predict.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm thinking you'll need at least five predicts.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CdWh6rXRI

edit: actual notes - https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/game-updates/patch-2-11-0-notes/

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 29, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Uhhhhhh... holy poo poo read those notes you guys.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Wow well this should shake the meta up

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No Wave posted:

While we're talking about balance changes boy I would like to see the make it rain nerf reverted.
^me three weeks ago. Glad someone agreed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm excited for the boatload of changes, I'm excited that this feels very responsive to the tears after the last balance mini-patch, I'm excited for LoR constructed

EDIT: Swim is just melting down on stream, haha

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm not a fan of them nerfing the discard 2 draw 2 by making it also cost 2 mana, but it's probably a good way to knee-cap Draven decks ability to find good cards.

Also like, 8 of those changes were un-nerfs, including Tryndamere of all things.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Riot casually dropping a bomb on the meta. I think every top tier deck has been hit with nerfs? Ionia and Bilgewater buffs? Will of Ionia at 4 mana? This is a huge patch.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
This is a nerf to Riven, isn't it?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kris xK posted:

This is a nerf to Riven, isn't it?
No, the patch note was written wrong. Read the card next to the note instead.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

No Wave posted:

No, the patch note was written wrong. Read the card next to the note instead.

Ah thank you I was super confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

jimmydalad posted:

Riot casually dropping a bomb on the meta. I think every top tier deck has been hit with nerfs?

Depends on your definition of top tier - it's either "yes" or "everyone but the shurima/frejlord overwhelm deck"

but yeah poo poo's gonna be fun for a bit.