Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

drat horror queefs posted:

JKR being a profoundly bigoted monster is pretty much in keeping with the tradition established by all great English children's lit authors so,

I for one am excited to see the next one, something like The Grand Adventures of Shinglewot Fizzlepiss in Wankfordshire by E. F. Anglican being about how Irish Travellers are happiest when ground into a paste and served as a pudding

I doubt Tolkien and lewis were anywhere near as bad as her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tolkien is measurably better because even though his content was comically racist he was also known to find it really cringey in retrospect and spent a lot of time trying to solve the “orc problem” of trying to separate the racism from his antagonists

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

mastershakeman posted:

I doubt Tolkien and lewis were anywhere near as bad as her

Yeah but Roald Dahl was twice as bad so it all balances out, qed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
also to be fair he was just straight ripping off Norse mythology for a lot of it so most poo poo was “fair skinned” this and “lily white” that as far as the good guys went

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

indigi posted:

I've only seen two of them (second one and last one I think) but the kids did not remotely know how to act at first. when did they figure it out

There is a marked improvement over the series. Maybe 3 or 4 they can establish some emotion.

Number 1 is the best. There are a number of scenes that the kids start to laugh but it is edited out or they just catch themselves.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

didnt brannagh play a paraplegic in a spider legged wheelchair in Wild Wild West too?

wild wild west owns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

wild wild west owns

yeah it’s awesome and I enjoy it both ironically and unironically

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I completely believe Rowling put in Dobby as a way to push hard on 'Malfoy's family is not only jerks but they're racist slave-owning assholes' but had the brilliant idea to decide later in the series that house elves love being enslaved and even gives Harry one and he doesn't even try to free him.

i think he does get freed by accident and then that house-elf uses the opportunity to kill his godfather? so sometimes freeing slaves is bad

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Tolkien is measurably better because even though his content was comically racist he was also known to find it really cringey in retrospect and spent a lot of time trying to solve the “orc problem” of trying to separate the racism from his antagonists

And the Dwarf/Jew thing. It's not surprising that racism worked its way into his writing given how pervasive it was. Tolkien was a genuinely good guy though.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Trabisnikof posted:

wild wild west owns

:hai:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
WWW does indeed own. I really like this article that has some of the backstory about what a clusterfuck the production was: https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/wild-wild-west-inside-story

quote:

Once the cast was assembled, a read-through took place on a horse ranch in Burbank. When Branagh arrived, he’d shaved his beard in the style of his character. He proceeded to dazzle the room with a committed Southern accent. He was “amazing,” says Sonnenfeld. He was so convincing, in fact, that Warner Bros. executive Lorenzo di Bonaventura asked Sonnenfeld if they should fire Branagh and cast whoever this guy was. Sonnenfeld told him that guy was Kenneth Branagh.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/StolenDans/status/1409599789235376130

im gonna go with cerebus because the politics arent validated by the work they work in tandem with the main characters arc to emphasize that hes a miserable piece of poo poo because his goals are selfish and terrible

even between all the late screed stuff its kind of hard to miss that the feminazi empire falls more because of a resistance movement with an entirely inaccurate romantic interpretation of the cerebus image than cerebus himself and the flash forward shows the feminazis mostly won the culture war anyway because cerebus is a petty assholish boor with no meaningful social influence

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
jack bauer going on all his murder sprees except for season 6 gently caress that season

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Some Guy TT posted:

im gonna go with cerebus because the politics arent validated by the work they work in tandem with the main characters arc to emphasize that hes a miserable piece of poo poo because his goals are selfish and terrible

even between all the late screed stuff its kind of hard to miss that the feminazi empire falls more because of a resistance movement with an entirely inaccurate romantic interpretation of the cerebus image than cerebus himself and the flash forward shows the feminazis mostly won the culture war anyway because cerebus is a petty assholish boor with no meaningful social influence

When you see how Cerberus becomes the author's mouthpiece, it's fitting in a way that the character ends up alone and hated.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the best right-wing art is dostoevsky and gogol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FFT posted:

lmao "J.K. Rowling Confirms Jewish Character in ‘Harry Potter’"

Pretend you have no knowledge of Harry Potter character names past the one asian character that's named "Cho Chang" and guess the last name of the one Jewish character.

Honestly just glad they're a wand carrier.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

a good prompt. a few ideas:

- tombstone
- die hard 3
- the hunt for red october (arguably, this one is merely pro-military and doesn't necessarily exhibit other conservative tendencies)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Red October is implicitly anticommunist but the movie lacks Clancy lecturing about the evils of Soviet healthcare

Lord of the Rings is too easy so I'm gonna say Book of the New Sun (as a personal judgment, not as the literal best)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Aglet56 posted:

a good prompt. a few ideas:

- tombstone
- die hard 3
- the hunt for red october (arguably, this one is merely pro-military and doesn't necessarily exhibit other conservative tendencies)

tfw you’re no daisy, you’re no daisy at all

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
American Psycho

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

hwhy simply the collected works of mishima yukio

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The Screwtape Letters? Gothic cathedrals? Hmm.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

FFT posted:

Pretend you have no knowledge of Harry Potter character names past the one asian character that's named "Cho Chang" and guess the last name of the one Jewish character.

Guess what the black wizards name is

Shacklebolt

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
the best right wing film is war horse

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLJBfGdej7g

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fried Watermelon posted:

Guess what the black wizards name is

Shacklebolt

hahaha that's a hell of a joke there's no way she actually named him shacklebolt *googles it* holy poo poo rowling

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

FFT posted:

Before clicking the link: my guess is Castie Goldstein

After clicking the link: lol; rofl

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol how the gently caress did this series grab the literary consciousness of an entire generation

glad i was always too old to get into these

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Laterite posted:

lol how the gently caress did this series grab the literary consciousness of an entire generation

hell if I know. A Series of Unfortunate Events is better imo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Laterite posted:

people are desperate for escapism and the whole setup for this is a kid who has a lovely life escaping to a magical world

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Laterite posted:

Cant believe kids liked a book about magic schools, how dare they

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SatansOnion posted:

hell if I know. A Series of Unfortunate Events is better imo

this is truth tho, these books knew the world sucked and didnt care to delude children

Same thing with animorphs

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

most of the absolute nonsense is later additions by rowling, or weirdness once you can hold the whole series in perspective

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

people are desperate for escapism and the whole setup for this is a kid who has a lovely life escaping to a magical world

I think the particularly appealing part is that he doesn’t have to do any work. one day he wakes up and just is a wizard with magic powers now. sure he goes to wizard school but they don’t actually do any work there it’s just constant playtime

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is truth tho, these books knew the world sucked and didnt care to delude children

Same thing with animorphs

Animorphs was real interesting for being a children's action book series that really did not shy away at all from pointing out that war is traumatizing and even the "good guys" end up doing some awful poo poo sometimes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The best part of Harry Potter, at least in the movies, is the global holocaust the death eaters are committing. This is all ignored when voldemort is killed because he was making everyone do the bad things!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

indigi posted:

I think the particularly appealing part is that he doesn’t have to do any work. one day he wakes up and just is a wizard with magic powers now. sure he goes to wizard school but they don’t actually do any work there it’s just constant playtime

They do have homework and studying, even though they heavily crib from Hermione, but they don't really depict them doing it, because why would you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

The best part of Harry Potter, at least in the movies, is the global holocaust the death eaters are committing. This is all ignored when voldemort is killed because he was making everyone do the bad things!

wait what? i havent seen the movies

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

harry potter needs a sequel where there's a bad group of wizards who want to bring magic to the muggles and harry has to race around europe collecting all the best deatheaters so the bad wizards who want to share magic dont make a deal with them. then they can build a magick artifack with such power that the bad wizards relent and promise not to tell muggles about magic.

then in the next sequel the bad group of wizards make their own magick artifack and hide it in hogsmeade which is only noticed because harry (now PM of magic) has ordered broom overflights with magick artifack detecting spells, which leads to a standoff where the bad group of wizards threaten to tell muggles about magic and detonate the magick artifack if harry execorsizes his legal rights as pm of magic to inspect hogsmeade. so harry puts together a team of the best, ron is back, harrimonie is back, etc. and the have long meetings and eventually decide to publicly say theyre getting rid of their magick artifack in exchange for the bad wizards doing the same, and everyone is like "drat harry got owned" but really he's secretly got a better magick artifack no one knows about yet. so harry gets to be brave and get owned in public even though the audience knows hes right. maybe this one can be a 2 parter.

then in the next sequel harry gets killed by a magical assassin using long range spells, so ron has to run for PM of magic but then he gets killed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

wait what? i havent seen the movies

Oh yeah the subtext is there that the death eaters are killing thousands of "mudbloods" and muggles in Britain alone. Then you can remember that the death eaters supposedly have global reach with thousands of members that have paralyzed the entire wizardry and muggle worlds.

Harry does become a cop and you joke, but the OG upper command of the death eaters almost all get away with their original crimes because they say voldemort mind controlled them and you can't prove they are lying.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Jun 29, 2021