Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Lucky for us smart investors we know stocks only go up when the company has sound strategies.

Good luck in your toilets full of pee, AHT bag holders.

I’ve made plenty of money on it so far. If I wasn’t dumb with stocks, I could have made more.

Like anything, none of us are responsible for bad decisions, if anyone bought in at 7 and is still holding, that was really a bad choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Deviant posted:

aht is a long play, always has been.

i expect mine to go up around the holiday.

It's summer right now lol

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Jimong5 posted:

I wouldn't want AHT just to hold, the main reason to have it is to mill calls for 20% of the price. You can sell a $5 Aug call on a stock that costs $4.64 for $1, that's why I picked up more today.

Wish I understood these words

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

AHT is not great for anyone trying to do day trading or sideways trading and yeah, if you got in at 7+ then I wouldn't feel too good about it. But if you got in under 6 or even better now at under 5 I wouldn't feel too nervous about it long term.

In the short term I like it for the same reason mentioned earlier, it's got great options premiums. I wouldn't have a significant portfolio % in it but those covered calls are killer and who cares about getting assigned.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gonna look into covered calls when I get home then. Feel better that I got on the train at 5.10 and not anything higher

Baddog
May 12, 2001

D-Pad posted:

I agree, but I assume AHT has plenty of international properties? I actually don't know much about it. Also international travelers coming into the US will be low as delta takes off.

No, its all continental US.

https://www.ahtreit.com/portfolio.htm

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Uranium 235 posted:

btw for anyone interested in swing trading, check out qullamaggie's website https://qullamaggie.com/ and after that his twitch stream (he streams most days for 1-2 hours at the market open). he's probably going to end up becoming a billionaire in a few years and he teaches his stuff for free on his stream so it's worth taking a look at imo. he doesn't sell anything, and it's pretty rare that a successful trader puts out this much content without it being a funnel into some kind of paid service

Just want to say thank you for posting this. His website is really great, and I'm excited to dig into his videos & streams.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Gonna look into covered calls when I get home then. Feel better that I got on the train at 5.10 and not anything higher

You’ll want 100 shares to do a covered call but each contract (100 shares) will get you 60-100 bucks. My basis is like 5.2, but I’ve already sold like $1000 of calls so i dont feel too awful about it.

Its definitely not daytrading though, maybe need a more medium term thread instead of this one?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Well, on a more serious note yes rural poverty is one of the saddest things Ive seen. The fact that so many rural people have been basically brainwashed to vote for leaders who dont represent their best interests and in many cases actively work against their interests makes me sad. Which is why I feel that survivors of the Oklahoma Thunderbowl should all receive free, involuntary admission to reeducation camps to help resolve these issues.

Eventually every leftist will reach the same conclusion Stalin did and realise that some minds will only be changed via a bullet. Which is probably bullish for ammo manufacturing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gay picnic defence posted:

Eventually every leftist will reach the same conclusion Stalin did and realise that some minds will only be changed via a bullet. Which is probably bullish for ammo manufacturing.

yes, buy more VSTO

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Was there some inflation news? My tech ETFs have poo poo the bed but the lovely gold stock I’m bagholding is up.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

Was there some inflation news? My tech ETFs have poo poo the bed but the lovely gold stock I’m bagholding is up.

Are you for real, lmao

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

Well, on a more serious note yes rural poverty is one of the saddest things Ive seen. The fact that so many rural poor people have been basically brainwashed to vote for leaders who dont represent their best interests and in many cases actively work against their interests makes me sad.

But enough about coastal cities

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

america is basically two coastal mega cities with a depressing void in between,

It's gonna be hard to top the goatse comment, but, look at this guy who's obviously never driven any stretch on north-south road on the west coast outside of LA

laxbro posted:

This thread isn't like other BFC megathreads. Following the thread consensus will lose you money. Your best bet is to just read and laugh as the degeneracy or set aside a couple hundred bucks to gamble alongside everyone else.

Yeah but this is like playing Texas Hold'Em your whole life and finding out Blackjack exists. It's a whole new universe of ways to lose money

This is pretty cool, not sure if I'm going to execute, but I'd at least like to subscribe to your newsletter. Are there any additional linked resources you can point me to?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Ror posted:

AHT is not great for anyone trying to do day trading or sideways trading and yeah, if you got in at 7+ then I wouldn't feel too good about it. But if you got in under 6 or even better now at under 5 I wouldn't feel too nervous about it long term.

In the short term I like it for the same reason mentioned earlier, it's got great options premiums. I wouldn't have a significant portfolio % in it but those covered calls are killer and who cares about getting assigned.

My cost basis is 2.67 per share. Im sitting on 304 shares, its covered call central baby. I always expected 6-8 by EOY and I still think thats realistic.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

D-Pad posted:

You guys are really sure about AHT when there's a decent chance the delta variant tanks any possibility of travel returning to normal this year.

What do you consider "a decent chance"? Like percentage wise

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

D-Pad posted:

You guys are really sure about AHT when there's a decent chance the delta variant tanks any possibility of travel returning to normal this year.

Vaccination seems to prevent the worst parts of COVID. If that's the case I can't see the will to return to quarentine. Sure, the unvaccinated will get sick and die, but I believe that vaccinated people will stomach the risk of a moderate sickness to stay social.

I'm talking myself into bagholding with this thesis.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

Vaccination seems to prevent the worst parts of COVID. If that's the case I can't see the will to return to quarentine. Sure, the unvaccinated will get sick and die, but I believe that vaccinated people will stomach the risk of a moderate sickness to stay social.

Oregon residents were at 20% mask wearing at Costco 3 days before the supposed end date for no masks required. Your thesis is a strong one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You'll see bodies piled in the streets before quarantine returns.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Why is the thread so horny for AHT, looks like a re-opening trade stock 4-8 months too late? They owe a ton of money and are diluting like crazy.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I bought into AHT and stupidly didn't sell when it was at $7.00+ earlier this month. I was out camping those days so I wasn't glued to my ticker and thought it would go a little higher. Liking the idea of selling covered calls to recoup some losses, do I have it right that if I sell an covered call with a $5.00 strike price, if someone actually executes it then I get $500 + the premium? I have 200 AHT shares and an avg cost of $5.60, so on the chance it goes higher on the first ones I sell than that then I at least almost break even, if I have this right.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah like I said above I agree the US isn't going back on lockdown but I had assumed AHT had a lot of international properties and another wave of lockdowns are already starting or being discussed in a lot of other places because of Delta. The vast majority of people worldwide are not vaccinated and Delta is twice as contagious as original recipe.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

But does it really? Because that seems like the kind of problem that would eventually take care of itself.

How much do you like eating?

Because that big 'empty' middle of the US is where we grow all the staple crops.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
WSB and the ilk are saying that tomorrow is “the day.” I’ve Googled all around and playing the meme market is far behind me at this point. Anyone who asks what’s going on just get ridiculed. What is tomorrow supposed to be? Anyone know?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MussoliniB posted:

WSB and the ilk are saying that tomorrow is “the day.” I’ve Googled all around and playing the meme market is far behind me at this point. Anyone who asks what’s going on just get ridiculed. What is tomorrow supposed to be? Anyone know?

Probably the supposed AMC squeeze. It also probably won't be the day.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Fake James posted:

I bought into AHT and stupidly didn't sell when it was at $7.00+ earlier this month. I was out camping those days so I wasn't glued to my ticker and thought it would go a little higher. Liking the idea of selling covered calls to recoup some losses, do I have it right that if I sell an covered call with a $5.00 strike price, if someone actually executes it then I get $500 + the premium? I have 200 AHT shares and an avg cost of $5.60, so on the chance it goes higher on the first ones I sell than that then I at least almost break even, if I have this right.

you get the premium immediately, if someone executes then you get $500 and your shares get taken. It probably won't get called immediately because the contract buyer doesn't make money till price + premium, but you also don't make anything more than $500 + premium if the stock does well. It's a bet that it will stay sideways in the short term, while other people will think it will go up, and considering this thread it seems like a great bet right now. You want the stock to do well longer term, because ideally you will be out of your calls to sell the shares at a decent profit.

The part I'm not sure is if it's at bottom right now, because covered calls mean you hold the shares and are vulnerable to the underlying going down (although you can roll the calls down if people are still buying them, cause you can buy back the higher strike for cheap). If AHT dilutes more or whatever, it could drop to $3-4 something while you're (we're) holding the bag and that will not be great.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 30, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
99% of WSB posters are hedge fund employees at this point so I guarantee it's a big nothing.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I sold a bunch of CCs on Wish and they got called away. Now I don’t have to care what wish does. Win win! I’m gonna do the same for AHT

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

MussoliniB posted:

BBBY posts results before open so it could well be that

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Germany lost the match yesterday so get ready for a red day.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

John F Bennett posted:

Germany lost the match yesterday so get ready for a red day.

Lol, I was just going to post this headline from Yahoo Finance:

European markets slide as England basks in glory of knocking Germany out of Euro 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's great so many rational actors are investing based on fundamentals.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

There have been many days since the beginning of the year. My favorite was when the GME subs were saying you HAD to vote because their earnings call would show that more shares voted than existed.

I mean it was a straight up multi week campaign with regular posts about it and special flairs for voting and how to videos.

Of course nothing of the sort happened and now everyone pretends it never happened.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

MussoliniB posted:

It's about funds re-balancing at the end of June or something. I think they're banking on it for some sort of GME price movement.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lol this whole press release

https://www.finra.org/media-center/newsreleases/2021/finra-orders-record-financial-penalties-against-robinhood-financial

quote:

FINRA Orders Record Financial Penalties Against Robinhood Financial LLC
Firm Ordered to Pay Approximately $70 Million for Systemic Supervisory Failures and Significant Harm Suffered by Millions of Customers
WASHINGTON—FINRA announced today that it has fined Robinhood Financial LLC $57 million and ordered the firm to pay approximately $12.6 million in restitution, plus interest, to thousands of harmed customers. The sanctions represent the largest financial penalty ever ordered by FINRA and reflect the scope and seriousness of the violations. In determining the appropriate sanctions, FINRA considered the widespread and significant harm suffered by customers, including millions of customers who received false or misleading information from the firm, millions of customers affected by the firm’s systems outages in March 2020, and thousands of customers the firm approved to trade options even when it was not appropriate for the customers to do so.

“This action sends a clear message—all FINRA member firms, regardless of their size or business model, must comply with the rules that govern the brokerage industry, rules which are designed to protect investors and the integrity of our markets. Compliance with these rules is not optional and cannot be sacrificed for the sake of innovation or a willingness to ‘break things’ and fix them later,” said Jessica Hopper, Executive Vice President and Head of FINRA’s Department of Enforcement. “The fine imposed in this matter, the highest ever levied by FINRA, reflects the scope and seriousness of Robinhood’s violations, including FINRA’s finding that Robinhood communicated false and misleading information to millions of its customers.”

First, FINRA found in its investigation that, despite Robinhood’s self-described mission to “de-mystify finance for all,” during certain periods since September 2016, the firm has negligently communicated false and misleading information to its customers. The false and misleading information concerned a variety of critical issues, including whether customers could place trades on margin, how much cash was in customers’ accounts, how much buying power or “negative buying power” customers had, the risk of loss customers faced in certain options transactions, and whether customers faced margin calls.

For instance, one Robinhood customer who had turned margin “off,” tragically took his own life in June 2020. In a note found after his death, he expressed confusion as to how he could have used margin to purchase securities because, he believed, he had not “turned on” margin in his account. As noted in the settlement, Robinhood also displayed to this individual (and certain other customers) inaccurate negative cash balances. Additionally, due to Robinhood’s misstatements, thousands of other customers suffered more than $7 million in total losses. As part of this settlement, Robinhood is required to pay more than $7 million in restitution to these customers.

Second, FINRA found that since Robinhood began offering options trading to customers in December 2017, the firm has failed to exercise due diligence before approving customers to place options trades. The firm relied on algorithms—known at Robinhood as “option account approval bots”—to approve customers for options trading, with only limited oversight by firm principals. Those bots often approved customers to trade options based on inconsistent or illogical information. As a result, Robinhood approved thousands of customers for options trading who either did not satisfy the firm’s eligibility criteria or whose accounts contained red flags indicating that options trading may not have been appropriate for them.

Third, FINRA found that, from January 2018 to February 2021, Robinhood failed to reasonably supervise the technology that it relied upon to provide core broker-dealer services, such as accepting and executing customer orders. Between 2018 and late 2020, Robinhood experienced a series of outages and critical systems failures. The most serious outage occurred on March 2 and 3, 2020, when Robinhood’s website and mobile applications shut down, preventing Robinhood’s customers from accessing their accounts during a time of historic market volatility. Although the firm had a business continuity plan at the time of the March 2-3 outage, it did not apply it because the plan was unreasonably limited to events that impacted the firm’s physical location. Robinhood’s inability to accept or execute customer orders during these outages resulted in individual customers losing tens of thousands of dollars, and FINRA is requiring that the firm pay more than $5 million in restitution to affected customers.

Additionally, between January 2018 and December 2020, Robinhood failed to report to FINRA tens of thousands of written customer complaints that it was required to report. Robinhood’s reporting failures included complaints that Robinhood provided customers with false and misleading information, and that customers suffered losses as a result of the firm’s outages and systems failures. Robinhood’s reporting failures were primarily the result of a firm-wide policy that exempted certain broad categories of complaints from reporting, even though those categories fell within the scope of FINRA’s reporting requirements. The settlement resolves numerous other charges against Robinhood, including the firm’s failure to have a reasonably designed customer identification program and its failure to display complete market data information.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sand Monster posted:

It's about funds re-balancing at the end of June or something. I think they're banking on it for some sort of GME price movement.

It's just Trump's reelection, but for stocks. The date of "the mattering" keeps moving up. There will be some new thing to wait for when this one ends up being another bust.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The results of an off-the-books semi-sport match affecting the stock market still makes more sense than crypto, Kathy, or Elon affecting it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Well I'm back after my little all-cash hiatus. Whats poppin you filthy degenerates?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

cr0y posted:

Well I'm back after my little all-cash hiatus. Whats poppin you filthy degenerates?

Buying RYCEY on the clearance rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

cr0y posted:

This is more real stock stuff than degenerate gambling (gambles: ASPS :)! TELL :) SFT :| and CNSP :/ ) but bought into DISCK yesterday and have been averaging into PRG, which just looks like a slam dunk to me for a long term holding.

Mentioned it a long time ago but conflicted about ZYXI. Business wise it looks amazing, but on the other hand they almost literally sell figurative snake oil so idk.