Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've spent a ton of time with SnS in 3 MH games (GU, World, Rise - mained in the first 2) and I think my biggest MH hottake is that its ability to use items without sheathing is incredibly overrated.

If it didn't already sheathe in the blink of an eye and if you didn't have to raise your shield first to use items I'd get it, but maybe it's just me but raising your shield and sheathing your weapon seem to take almost the same amount of time, and being sheathed gives you access to dashing to make up for the added X milliseconds it takes over raising your shield. Trust me I've done the very serious and real calculations :science: It's also helped contribute to the unfair "beginner's weapon" stigma the weapon has suffered under the whole series, though I can't complain about that too much since they keep giving it sick poo poo to make up for the "weakness" that a lot of players imagine it has. It's the "hours of gameplay" or "stunning graphics" on the back of the game box of weapon features.

I have no real point lol, it just gets talked up in every weapon breakdown and I think it's one of the least interesting aspects of the weapon - I honestly think its weak block is more mechanically interesting.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I usually just sheathe anyway out of reflex from playing every weapons.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Rise in particular, sheathing straight out of wirebug recovery really steals SnS's thunder.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I usually just sheathe anyway out of reflex from playing every weapons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deified Data posted:

I've spent a ton of time with SnS in 3 MH games (GU, World, Rise - mained in the first 2) and I think my biggest MH hottake is that its ability to use items without sheathing is incredibly overrated.

If it didn't already sheathe in the blink of an eye and if you didn't have to raise your shield first to use items I'd get it, but maybe it's just me but raising your shield and sheathing your weapon seem to take almost the same amount of time, and being sheathed gives you access to dashing to make up for the added X milliseconds it takes over raising your shield. Trust me I've done the very serious and real calculations :science: It's also helped contribute to the unfair "beginner's weapon" stigma the weapon has suffered under the whole series, though I can't complain about that too much since they keep giving it sick poo poo to make up for the "weakness" that a lot of players imagine it has. It's the "hours of gameplay" or "stunning graphics" on the back of the game box of weapon features.

I have no real point lol, it just gets talked up in every weapon breakdown and I think it's one of the least interesting aspects of the weapon - I honestly think its weak block is more mechanically interesting.

It's more useful when oils existed. Bring back oils.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Being able to flash bomb on a moment's notice was pretty nice for keeping groups alive in World sometimes

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
SnS definitely felt like it shined in World multiplayer. My friend was always too busy managing charge blade combos, so I'd heal, flash bomb, and trap at a moment's notice. Rise, I don't feel the need as much since everyone has a quick sheathe with wirefall recovery.

It's still useful for on-demand flash bombs though.

But yeah, I feel way less inclined to be a toolbox and more of a beat stick in general in Rise and I haven't been able to put my finger on why. It might just be everyone's hyper mobility now? :shrug:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just played through some of the Stories 2 demo before finding out it was going to release on PC and then stopping right after.

Game is a ton of fun but I imagine the PC version will run much better.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Monster Hunter Stories 2 Launch Trailer (plus roadmap):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efrSdhtye8

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Was not expecting the Generations Deviants so that rules. Also their post game boss releases being Kulve Taroth, Kulve Taroth again but harder and Fatalis feels kinda :effort:

also do we really need 5 different Rathalos. (Wings of Ruin, original, azure, dreadking, silver)

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Zore posted:

Was not expecting the Generations Deviants so that rules. Also their post game boss releases being Kulve Taroth, Kulve Taroth again but harder and Fatalis feels kinda :effort:

also do we really need 5 different Rathalos. (Wings of Ruin, original, azure, dreadking, silver)

Rathalos is MH Goku

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

boz posted:

Rathalos is MH Goku

This is Rajang erasure

boz
Oct 16, 2005
One is physically Goku and the other is Goku in spirit

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

boz posted:

Rathalos is MH Goku Krillin

Fixed that for you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ryu is the most apt comparison.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I should have been more specific, Rath is like Goku in DBFZ, a ton of different versions of the same character.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Neither is voiced by a Japanese grandma

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Rath was the on the cover for the very first game back on the PS2! Show some respect for your elders.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Rath was the on the cover for the very first game back on the PS2! Show some respect for your elders.

Uh, he's a Flying Wyvern, not an Elder. :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rathian was the logo for the first game and yet somehow she doesn't get all these fancy variants.

You'd think they'd give you a fancy Rathian if you're playing as a girl, but no...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Rath is fine. You just don't need 5 different variants and also to have 3 different ones with the same name as major characters in your game.

Like why are Ratha, Guardian Ratha and Nu-Ratha all a thing in this subseries? Its like they wanted to make that as confusing as possible

Hellioning posted:

Rathian was the logo for the first game and yet somehow she doesn't get all these fancy variants.

You'd think they'd give you a fancy Rathian if you're playing as a girl, but no...

Hey, tbf Rathian does get 3 variants. Just not a protagonist one or her Deviant apparantly.

We still have Pink, Gold and Normal!

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 2, 2021

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have a 3 day weekend with few obligations and I'm kinda sad MHS2 isn't coming out today.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TaurusOxford posted:

Uh, he's a Flying Wyvern, not an Elder. :v:

Boo this man! Booooo!!!

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Saxophone posted:

I have a 3 day weekend with few obligations and I'm kinda sad MHS2 isn't coming out today.

It preloaded on my Switch today and for a wild second I thought I had the release date wrong. I was immediately disappointed.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

mikemil828 posted:

Monster Hunter Stories 2 Launch Trailer (plus roadmap):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efrSdhtye8

Molten fuckin T???????? my boy????

I hunted him so much in 4U, every time I was testing a new set, every time I didn't know what else to hunt... this might be what gets me to buy the game. I love that idiot

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I wish I could sub out that Scrappy Doo character for that cool-looking Melynx.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
For some reason MH:W is anxiety inducing in a way that no other game is. Every time I boot up the game I'm just paralyzed by the amount of systems and poo poo I have to do to the point that I get stressed out and quit.

Maybe this isn't the game for me :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Missionary Positron posted:

For some reason MH:W is anxiety inducing in a way that no other game is. Every time I boot up the game I'm just paralyzed by the amount of systems and poo poo I have to do to the point that I get stressed out and quit.

Maybe this isn't the game for me :v:

There's a lot of knowledge and systems that you can engage with, but the easiest thing to do is to just pick a mission and stab a monster to death. It's nice to make a loadout for items so that you can quickly restock (and you can go with a basic set of healing items + traps for 99% of encounters), but even that isn't necessary.

For armor, all you really care about is the skills, and even then they're not super super important until the late game. Again, you can get by with basic stuff like +health, divine protection, etc. for 99% of monsters and run skills like that that make you more comfortable.

Eventually, once you're relaxed about killing things, then you can start going in on optimizing skills/armor for more damage or doing whatever else, but just getting in there and throwing down with monsters until you're comfortable fighting them is an excellent place to start and to start getting more used to the systems in place.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Stories 2 Co-Op - Where you don't have to outrun the monster, you just have to outrun your coop partner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhXOs-01cZw

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I hate that they preload the game onto the Switch so early when you preorder it. That game icon is sitting there, mocking me. "I bet you sure would like to play me huh? But you can't. Not until Friday. Sucks for you!"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

At least you haven't gotten to the point where you click on the icon cause maybe someone messed up and you can play the game early, give it like five more clicks just to be sure.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

At least you haven't gotten to the point where you click on the icon cause maybe someone messed up and you can play the game early, give it like five more clicks just to be sure.

I should go check.

EDIT: Still no.

EDIT 2: Maybe I should check again?

LostRook fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 5, 2021

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Meanwhile I only just tried out the Stories 2 demo this weekend and

oh my loving god it's everything I wanted stories 1 to be and it's so good and :3:

I really can't wait for this Friday. Will most folks be getting it on Switch? Steam is a bit tempting, but it feels like such a "Switch" game even if the online will be a bit worse.

Also god I'm happy they did more with the weapons and gave them more of a point and that monstie customization will be unlocked earlier and they have layered armor and a hairstyle with glasses (v. v. important) and and

yeah I could gush for hours like a lunatic

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As great as MHS2 looks I will forever be annoyed they went with "Monsties" and not "Mountsters". It's right there!!!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SpaceDrake posted:

I really can't wait for this Friday. Will most folks be getting it on Switch? Steam is a bit tempting, but it feels like such a "Switch" game even if the online will be a bit worse.

Going PC myself. I want that smoother framerate, i'm trying to avoid giving Nintendo more money for their sub-par online service, and GMG had a pre-order sale so it was hard to pass up.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

As great as MHS2 looks I will forever be annoyed they went with "Monsties" and not "Mountsters". It's right there!!!

Monster+Besties is the better term considering the games are all about making it clear that monsties share a bond with riders and aren't just being tamed or enslaved into following orders.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

GMG had a pre-order sale so it was hard to pass up.

Oh drat thanks for this, but now I don't know if I want the regular or deluxe.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

TaurusOxford posted:

Going PC myself. I want that smoother framerate, i'm trying to avoid giving Nintendo more money for their sub-par online service, and GMG had a pre-order sale so it was hard to pass up.

Monster+Besties is the better term considering the games are all about making it clear that monsties share a bond with riders and aren't just being tamed or enslaved into following orders.

Do they occasionally disobey/mess up at the start of your training together before coming to a greater mutual understanding and coordination?

Want to act out my growing bond with a Pokémon I ride into battle and struggling together before we beat the poo poo out of a monster using the power of friendship

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SpaceDrake posted:

Meanwhile I only just tried out the Stories 2 demo this weekend and

oh my loving god it's everything I wanted stories 1 to be and it's so good and :3:

Also god I'm happy they did more with the weapons and gave them more of a point and that monstie customization will be unlocked earlier and they have layered armor and a hairstyle with glasses (v. v. important) and and

yeah I could gush for hours like a lunatic

I'm getting it on Switch cuz I just like not being tethered to my desk.

I could gush for hours too. I loved Stories 1 so drat much and 2 is shaping out to be even better and it OWNS and I need it to be Friday already!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm getting it on Switch cuz I just like not being tethered to my desk.
yeah 100%

it's a perfect chill out in bed game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I played the demo a bit and I like the gameplay but I'm not really in it for the story. Does it open up a bit after some lore and tutorials?