Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the movie will probably be alright. It won't be sopranos level, but trying to read the quality of a movie from the trailer is a fools game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't remember the last time I saw a horror movie trailer that wasn't actively grating, yet there are good horror movies.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
For what it's worth, Matt Zoller Seitz' spoiler free take implies that the advertising so far doesn't indicate a whole lot about what the movie will be.

https://twitter.com/mattzollerseitz/status/1409996373303439362?s=19

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the movie will probably be alright. It won't be sopranos level, but trying to read the quality of a movie from the trailer is a fools game

That’s definitely the sane and correct take, but also there’s not much other sopranos news to talk about at the moment, so I don’t mind the deep dive

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CPFortest posted:

For what it's worth, Matt Zoller Seitz' spoiler free take implies that the advertising so far doesn't indicate a whole lot about what the movie will be.

https://twitter.com/mattzollerseitz/status/1409996373303439362?s=19

Oh, so it's Made in America all over again! :hellyeah:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

someone set the trailer to Dont Stop Believin and end it on that Holstens shot

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look at it this way, even if the movie is trash. Still gives you an excuse to rewatch the Sopranos

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
This is probably one of those Inglourious Bastards type situations where the trailers were all Brad Pitt and machine guns and then everybody was like "WTF it's about some French woman or something."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

indiscriminately posted:

Tony never struck me as being particularly bright or adept. He leads by being supremely intimidating. And lucky. And still he dies young.

tbf dying would be the best possible outcome for him at that point

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Personally I'm hoping for mostly competent fan service ála the Deadwood movie

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't remember it coming up in the thread but I stumbled upon an article about a 3 part documentary called Celebrating the Sopranos

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/celebrating-the-sopranos-review/

Anybody seen it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
thank you King MZS for easing my fears

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm setting my expectations very low from a director whose 21st century film career entirely centred around making the worst Marvel movie and the worst Terminator movie.

His TV credits look pretty good though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't remember it coming up in the thread but I stumbled upon an article about a 3 part documentary called Celebrating the Sopranos

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/celebrating-the-sopranos-review/

Anybody seen it?

Wasn't this some kinda exclusive limited release or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

I'm setting my expectations very low from a director whose 21st century film career entirely centred around making the worst Marvel movie and the worst Terminator movie.

His TV credits look pretty good though.

Alan Taylor's a TV director, and would have been hired on those films to just take instruction and manage the set. Realistically, he would likely have had very little input on those films.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The worst Marvel movie and the worst Terminator movie? :ohdear:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gaius Marius posted:

Look at it this way, even if the movie is trash. Still gives you an excuse to rewatch the Sopranos

I'm doing this right now. Just started yesterday. drat, Nancy Marchand is so good and perfect as Tony's mom. Farmiga's got some big fuckin shoes to fill.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1093941942562353152

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I just spent 30 seconds trying to figure out if Andy Daly had a new character.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Human Tornada posted:

This is probably one of those Inglourious Bastards type situations where the trailers were all Brad Pitt and machine guns and then everybody was like "WTF it's about some French woman or something."

Reminds of the lady who sued Nicolas Winding Refn because the trailers for Drive made her think it was just Ryan Gosling looking hot and driving around in cool cars

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I think it's going to end up showing the Dicky pushed Tony into the mob. The point with the high IQ poo poo is to show that he had potential outside of the mob. He could have been just that guy "selling furniture off the highway" (Finnerty), but instead intentionally followed Dicky, a mistake which he spends the rest of his life trying to justify (doing it for his kids etc)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have faith in David Chase. I think the movie will be good, although without Gandolfini it won't feel very Sopranos. I'm on my annual rewatch and just astounded at the level of acting and screen presence he brings.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Gandolfini is in it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

night slime posted:

Gandolfini is in it

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Also tony 100% kills Dicky.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
That's what I came away thinking from For All Debts Public and Private.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just finished that episode. If you believe the cop, it makes me wonder would he have done the same to Vin Makazian had he survived to retirement? No more leverage against him anymore.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think I really buy Tony being an underachieving gifted kid, so it feels like a retcon to me. He had a level of cunning to him, but he definitely didn't remind me of any former gifted kids I've known, and I've known some who've tried to downplay their intelligence to get along in different peer groups. If it makes for a good story in this movie, who gives a poo poo I guess--the series still exists as a distinct whole regardless of what this movie says.

Edit: Okay, being slightly more fair, it might just be that the series itself was really inconsistent about his intelligence, partially for the sake of humor, so he'd be sharp in some episodes but send a letter to Melfi with basic spelling errors and misuse words in others.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 2, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sinteres posted:

I don't think I really buy Tony being an underachieving gifted kid, so it feels like a retcon to me. He had a level of cunning to him, but he definitely didn't remind me of any former gifted kids I've known, and I've known some who've tried to downplay their intelligence to get along in different peer groups. If it makes for a good story in this movie, who gives a poo poo I guess--the series still exists as a distinct whole regardless of what this movie says.

Edit: Okay, being slightly more fair, it might just be that the series itself was really inconsistent about his intelligence, partially for the sake of humor, so he'd be sharp in some episodes but send a letter to Melfi with basic spelling errors and misuse words in others.

Tony's talked about his IQ test, and the coach dream with the guy from the Wire season 2 talks about how he thought Tony was special.

Also gifted kids a lot of time run into major problems later in life and that kinda fits Tony in the show.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Tony's talked about his IQ test, and the coach dream with the guy from the Wire season 2 talks about how he thought Tony was special.

Also gifted kids a lot of time run into major problems later in life and that kinda fits Tony in the show.

Yeah that's why I revised it to being about an inconsistency within the show rather than the movie just being inconsistent with the show. The guy's pretty loving stupid sometimes, and not just in a "semester and a half of college" way.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Tony isn't a complete moron, but his idiocy comes from how as the years go by, he loses his self awareness about himself and his life.

The whole point of the Test Dream episode is that the ultimate reveal is just that he expressed interest in coaching sports teams while in high school. It's such a banal fact but giving everything that's going on with Tony at that point in Season 5, it tells you everything about the damage the mob life has done to him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've been thinking and I apologize for my use of fowl language in regards to yourself. You said some very hurtful things to me in regards to myself. But it is still no excuse to use the vile word that I used, of which I am sure you know that I'm talking about.
You don't wish us to be social friends and so that is that. I still have great rigard for you, even though you said some horrible things.
P. S.
I'm doing fine
Anthony

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah the whole point of talking about Tony's intelligence and athletic potential isn't to say that the mafia stole his bright future as the first NFL player to win a Nobel Prize. It's that in addition to coming from a mafia background, he comes from a place where people stew over petty resentments about things that happened decades ago and use these insecurities as leverage over each other. He's Livia and Junior's son, metaphorically speaking.

The moment I knew there was no hope for Tony was when Janice talks about how she's getting somewhere in therapy, and learning to be a good partner and stepmother. Tony instantly fills to the brim with jealous resentment and starts teasing her about her estranged son. It's very very far from the worst thing he's ever done, but it shows how he's so insecure that he can't just sit in a room with his family and make small talk without years of resentment coming to the forefront in a matter of minutes.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Writing is pretty hard and it seems to be one of those skills that need consistent practice. People who don't do any writing in their day-to-day lose the ability. See: forwards from grandma, chaotic boomer correspondence.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah the whole point of talking about Tony's intelligence and athletic potential isn't to say that the mafia stole his bright future as the first NFL player to win a Nobel Prize. It's that in addition to coming from a mafia background, he comes from a place where people stew over petty resentments about things that happened decades ago and use these insecurities as leverage over each other. He's Livia and Junior's son, metaphorically speaking.

The moment I knew there was no hope for Tony was when Janice talks about how she's getting somewhere in therapy, and learning to be a good partner and stepmother. Tony instantly fills to the brim with jealous resentment and starts teasing her about her estranged son. It's very very far from the worst thing he's ever done, but it shows how he's so insecure that he can't just sit in a room with his family and make small talk without years of resentment coming to the forefront in a matter of minutes.

Sacrebleu, where is me mama?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I feel like that scene would pack a bigger punch if he wasn't named Harpo.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

He doesn't have a right to ask?? He's the boy's uncle!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/mmb7TU0OrOI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vichan posted:

Sacrebleu, where is me mama?

Whichever goon said there should be a small child saying that in the post-credit scene earlier in the thread gave me an amazing laugh, because I am a terrible person.