Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

DrVenkman posted:

Something about this is so depressing to me.

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1410351842391904265?s=19

It's a James Bond podcast by people who hate James Bond to an unhealthy degree. Most of their followers are people who haven't seen the Bond movies and don't want to. I don't even care about Bond that much but what even is there to say the twentieth time Bond doesn't treat a woman well.

I've heard of that podcast and I can't imagine it's covering any new ground in terms of criticism of James Bond. There have been parodies of the character's ideology and mannerisms for almost as long as the he's existed.

It's something that could be fun to talk about in a single episode of something but not as the premise for an entire podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i mean i love james bond movies but part of the fun of the series is that they're like 85% dogshit so i don't really have a problem with the concept

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I haven't listened to the podcast but I assume they're basically viewing Bond as the avatar of 20th century British imperialism, which is a pretty valid lens through which to view them. And at least two of those host are trans chicks, so they'd probably have interesting takes on Bond as a symbol of masculinity. And there's like 50 Bond movies, so it's not like there's a shortage of material.

I'm not a massive fan of Alice or Philosophytube and I don't care about James Bond so I'm not gonna listen to it, but I'm not sure why you guys are acting like the whole thing is inherently bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Some people just like to dunk on a thing with no aspirations of insight.

e: Bond is fun because it's an experiment of remixing the same elements over and over again every few years and coming up with era-specific results, from earnest to meta to ironic in nature. Yeah, they lean on misogyny and exoticism and that's bad and you're welcome to dismiss them for those reasons, but it's a unique and fascinating series because of that, not in spite of it. Half the fun of a new Bond movie is seeing how they try really hard to make a drunken sex-crazed government agent with a penchant for murder who protects a corrupt monarchy an engaging, relatable protagonist this time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 1, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

Some people just like to dunk on a thing with no aspirations of insight.

Are you talking about the podcast or people who are mad about the podcast?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I could be talking about anything from the past 133 pages, couldn't I?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gripweed posted:

Are you talking about the podcast or people who are mad about the podcast?

I'm not mad about the podcast, just saying that it didn't sound interesting to me personally.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Flying Zamboni posted:

I'm not mad about the podcast, just saying that it didn't sound interesting to me personally.

I don't care about James Bond and I think Alice kinda ruins Well There's Your Problem, so I'm not interested in the podcast either. But it's a couple of leftwing British trans ladies doing a deep dive on what has been the symbol of British manhood and imperialism for the past 70 years. I bet that they actually do come up with some novel and interesting stuff about the character and the franchise.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If anything "ruins" Well There's Your Problem, it's Roz's complete lack of editing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gripweed posted:

I don't care about James Bond and I think Alice kinda ruins Well There's Your Problem, so I'm not interested in the podcast either. But it's a couple of leftwing British trans ladies doing a deep dive on what has been the symbol of British manhood and imperialism for the past 70 years. I bet that they actually do come up with some novel and interesting stuff about the character and the franchise.

I can guarantee you they do not provide any insight that wasn't already provided in like the 70s when people were writing the exact same things about Bond that people have been repeating ever since. Just with added how-can-anyone-like-this scolding. I'm as guilty for enjoying a good tear-down as anyone else, but there's something so joyless about the modern version of Cinema Sins meets Tumblr.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

But anyway, let's have something we can all agree with.

https://twitter.com/ElSoderbergho/status/1410102291114434561?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lol

I'm so tired of people repeating these tired criticisms of a popular movie franchise! We've heard them all already, get over it! Goddamnit!

Anyway, let's get back to some proper movie discussion. Check out this dude dunking on Marvel movies!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Gripweed posted:

lol

I'm so tired of people repeating these tired criticisms of a popular movie franchise! We've heard them all already, get over it! Goddamnit!

Anyway, let's get back to some proper movie discussion. Check out this dude dunking on Marvel movies!

Jerking yourself into a frenzy there friend, making barely coherent points. Nevertheless, you took the shot and we can all move on now. Have a bit of proper movie discussion.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DrVenkman posted:

Jerking yourself into a frenzy there friend, making barely coherent points. Nevertheless, you took the shot and we can all move on now. Have a bit of proper movie discussion.

My points were completely coherent and I'm willing to keep arguing about this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

That's loving awesome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If yall want to have proper movie discussion or whatever there's a new movie of the month thread up, posted by Twernt.

Go enjoy that

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
A funny transwoman British Muslim dunking on James Bond is probably good, Soderbergh dunking on the Russos is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0Qda32IKM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrVenkman posted:

Here's something positive about Infinity War: It wasn't Ocean's Twelve.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Really though James Bond should die.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You can understand that Bond and Marvel movies are deeply flawed and enjoy them. It’s also okay if you don’t want to spend hours of your life listening to someone dump on something, even if you agree with them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't it, though? Was it really not Ocean's Twelve?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grendels Dad posted:

Wasn't it, though? Was it really not Ocean's Twelve?

It was all three Ocean's films at once.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was all three Ocean's films at once.

Ocean's 36?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean i love james bond movies but part of the fun of the series is that they're like 85% dogshit so i don't really have a problem with the concept

But I’d rather listen to someone like you who likes the series but agrees is dogshit (and same tbh) because a podcast about making GBS threads on something blows.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
There is new promotional material for the new Space Jam movie and it is worse than you expected. Yes, worse than that:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1410634202693967876

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There is absolutely nothing you could do to get me to click on that play button.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

therattle posted:

Ocean's 36?

This is erasure of whatever number the All Women Ocean's # had.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I clicked it for you. You get the joke without clicking it.

Except it adds a Twitter reference. Which is trash.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Have we gotten to the point where we've gone without a Matrix parody for so long (because we were all loving sick of them by 2004) that it's wrapped around and it's now fresh again? I have to somehow rationalize it otherwise I'd just be screaming.

Ultimately: it doesn't matter what's in the movie, it's going to make a billion dollars anyway.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 1, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

This is erasure of whatever number the All Women Ocean's # had.

Not me! Hundu referenced three films. Blame them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

But I’d rather listen to someone like you who likes the series but agrees is dogshit (and same tbh) because a podcast about making GBS threads on something blows.

i think the issue is just that we don't need another bad movie podcast, i have to agree with the seeming consensus that We Hate Movies has that covered

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

caligulamprey posted:

Have we gotten to the point where we've gone without a Matrix parody for so long (because we were all loving sick of them by 2004) that it's wrapped around and it's now fresh again?

Probably? There are a lot of young adults now who were still in their infancy when the Matrix parody fad died out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think the issue is just that we don't need another bad movie podcast, i have to agree with the seeming consensus that We Hate Movies has that covered

Agreed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Roth posted:

I'm sure people have noticed by now, but just in case MacheteZombie asked me to co-mod Cine D with him and I said yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

feedmyleg posted:

There is absolutely nothing you could do to get me to click on that play button.
I’m glad I’m old as poo poo so I don’t have to care about these things anymore and just let the kids have/make their own fun

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Best bad movie podcast is the flop house imo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

Supremely confident and competent antagonist succeeds in main plot only to discover the plucky characters had defeated him before anything he did actually counted

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Supremely confident and competent antagonist succeeds in main plot only to discover the plucky characters had defeated him before anything he did actually counted

The plot is resolved by swapping the Maguffin with a fake before the antagonist gets a chance to steal it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

pospysyl posted:

The plot is resolved by swapping the Maguffin with a fake before the antagonist gets a chance to steal it.

Oh! Oh! Let me try!

Don Cheadle is in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought The Matrix sequels were pretty good