Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Golem making was Square-Enix's attempt at remaking Tetris for the 21st century. Tetris 99 ain't got nothing on it.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Every time the game introduces something new I think, “Why is this so complicated?”

By the way, did you know that you can string longer combos by using special moves like flip-kick as intermediaries? And if you do a long enough combo, a candy pops out so you can heal yourself? I only found that out by reading a guide. Also your stats go up based on the weapon you have equipped when you gain the level. Game is full of hidden mechanics and stats and weirdness.

Duelle tells you about stringing together combos. I don't believe he mentions the candy thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Speaking of stats, probably the most important one is HP (the stat, not the actual HP-as-health). What the game tells you is that it influences the max HP gained on level-up. What the game doesn't tell you, and what's more important, is that it also influences the rate your HP automatically regenerates in combat when standing still (or, with certain special effects from tempering armor, while moving).

If memory serves, you reach the highest tier of that effect when your HP (stat) hits 93. Like most stat-based effects, this is after applying equipment boosts, so even if you level with a weapon which sucks rear end for growth in that stat, you can make up for it with one or two pieces of equipment with a hefty chunk of +stats on it.

(It's possible the remaster renamed the stat to be something less identically-named to something else, such as Constitution or something.)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Game is full of hidden mechanics and stats and weirdness.

a lot of the legend of mana team worked on saga frontier 1 (they were developed around the same time) and Kawazu (SaGa's dad) is a producer on LoM

SaGa of Mana was no joke

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Vil posted:

(It's possible the remaster renamed the stat to be something less identically-named to something else, such as Constitution or something.)

They did exactly this, yeah.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I'm about 3 hours in and this game is bizarre, obtuse, and strange, and I'm all for it. Most of my favorite games of all time are PS1 titles with unique systems such as Digimon World and Monster Rancher, and I'm honestly sad I never picked this up as a kid, I would have loved it back then. Still, I'm happy to be playing it now, it's a blast and the art and music is fantastic.

BTW, about how far in until the monster farm stuff and other interesting systems start showing up?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Plasbad posted:

I'm about 3 hours in and this game is bizarre, obtuse, and strange, and I'm all for it. Most of my favorite games of all time are PS1 titles with unique systems such as Digimon World and Monster Rancher, and I'm honestly sad I never picked this up as a kid, I would have loved it back then. Still, I'm happy to be playing it now, it's a blast and the art and music is fantastic.

BTW, about how far in until the monster farm stuff and other interesting systems start showing up?

Digimon World remaster when?

And monster ranching may already be available. Try exploring Domina again.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

They did exactly this, yeah.

Bless their hearts, I always hated having to including the parenthetical qualifiers. But yeah, it's a pretty tremendous impact. Can't find complete numbers, just references to references, but what I did find for HP regeneration rate was:

93+: 30 HP/sec
89-92: 15 HP/sec
Below that: even worse

It still sticks in my mind as the single most impactful stat to pump, given the rapid falloff below the highest tier. That said, this is after applying +stats from equipment, and I recall that a super pendant including (among other things like elemental and status resists) +20 to all stats, wasn't too ridiculous to make.

So even in the worst case, where you level all the way using something with abysmal Constitution growth, you can still compensate with tempered equipment. I'm pretty sure I used to go with some level-up plan that had no stat lower than 79, and then threw a +20 pendant on it and called it a day.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

oh jay posted:

Digimon World remaster when?

And monster ranching may already be available. Try exploring Domina again.

Got it, I haven't actually done much backtracking in places I've already been yet.

In Digimon World related news though, Digimon World Next Order is actually a pretty great direct sequel to the first game, and it's still weird and obtuse even for a modern game. It has some serious difficulty spikes but once you get a handle on the poorly explained mechanics you can break the game over your knee. Protip to anyone trying that one for the first time: play on Easy, you get nothing for beating the game on Normal or Hard (which unlocks after beating the game once).

Back to Mana, this looks like a game I'll enjoy multiple playthroughs of for sure.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Whoops posted to the wrong thread:

"poo poo, hit the wall. Only 2 quests I have are for areas I don't have yet (I, Cactus/Golem one)

Luckily you can turn encounters off so I'll just go running around.

The fortune teller said to find something about ancestors, sounds like it means something, but she mostly just says nonsense so I dunno."

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I played the hell out of this game as a kid and have been very hyped playing through it. Being able to turn encounters off for tea time of danger and some of the bullshit fairy things has been such a godsend. Crafting is still a blackhole, and yet I still can't stop messing with it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Plasbad posted:

It can be hard to tell how close you are to getting some systems due to everyone sort of creating their own worlds in different orders.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

so is there some sort of trick to the boss in the mines with the two heads on No Future mode? I spent like 20 minutes killing heads and then accidently got clipped by an explosion and got one shot

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Red Red Blue posted:

so is there some sort of trick to the boss in the mines with the two heads on No Future mode? I spent like 20 minutes killing heads and then accidently got clipped by an explosion and got one shot

the self destruct head boss is far and away the worst boss on No Future mode and there isn't really a way to make it easier as far as I'm aware, sorry :(

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It's also the worst boss in the game period, I don't think it's fun to ever fight that thing because it's a massive hp sponge

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Worst part is it shows up again later, I think in one of Elle's quests?

It's just a horrible boss all around.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Since there doesn't seem to be an achievement for completing everything on No Future I guess the play would be to turn it off for that boss and then turn it back on? I feel like it's possible if I don't run into the explosion again like an idiot it's just going to take forever

night slime
May 14, 2014
Turn off encounters and wander around endlessly forever like I did for one stage (well, for about 20 minutes until I realized)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lmao

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken_lom/specialcp/

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I managed to get a Polter Box (named Borter Box) and I’m a little confused by its synchro ability. Do I have to be standing next to it for it to activate? Or do I just get better items from enemies as long as it is in my party?

I also just realized I could have eliminated the space in its name and called it PolterBort and that would’ve been better, boo.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Stumbling across discussions from 8 years ago it seems like that ability doesn’t stack with player luck? And synchro abilities mostly seem to help your partner not yourself. So the idea is kill things while the box is close for better drops.

Based 100% on random ramblings I’ve seen while looking up crafting and nothing more solid than that

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I managed to get a Polter Box (named Borter Box) and I’m a little confused by its synchro ability. Do I have to be standing next to it for it to activate? Or do I just get better items from enemies as long as it is in my party?

I also just realized I could have eliminated the space in its name and called it PolterBort and that would’ve been better, boo.

You or your NPC ally have to be standing next to Borter Box, but yeah, when you have the effect going, it completely overrides the effect of your Luck stat and guarantees that you'll get at least a "rank 3" out of 8 item drop and makes it so you can get the best materials from enemies at much lower levels than they would normally have to be. With the Polter Box effect (or with a lucky drop from your luck stat), enemies up to level 15 will drop up rank 3-6 items, enemies from 16-31 will drop rank 3-7 items, and enemies level 32 and up will start dropping rank 3-8 items. Without a Polterbox, you'd have to get much higher level enemies and be really lucky to even have a chance at the higher rank items.

edited for a more in depth explanation. tl;dr: stand near box and kill things, get the Good poo poo

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 1, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there a way to make Polter Box stand next to me? It just wanders randomly. I guess I could use a second controller…?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there a way to make Polter Box stand next to me? It just wanders randomly. I guess I could use a second controller…?

I don't think you can control pets. IIRC you can change its personality to lonely with the right food to make it stick close to you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Neat, I just noticed there’s actual animations now for the Techniques Encyclopedia.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I defeated the end boss and love has returned to the world or something, idk what the gently caress happened but it was fun. I was massively over-leveled somehow. They did well with the combat system. And my platinum Aura flute with like 90 power carried me through most of the latter half of the game. I’ll come back and play on hard and complete all the quests, including the 6 or 7 I missed.

The three main story threads are pretty cool and there was a lot of good world building. A very cool and unique game.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I'm learning that the best way to approach the game is not as a deeply inscrutable and disjointed action-rpg, but as a slice-of-life Stardew-esque game. I'm growing crops, I'm breeding monsters, I'm crafting stuff. I'll swing through town, bump into an old buddy and end up on some wild adventure together. Maybe I'll just explore what's over the next horizon. I think today I'm taking my adopted son on a sightseeing trip; he's trying to finish his scrapbook.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I keep picking up Elazul at the bar to help him but he gives me no direction so I literally just drag him around with me everywhere until I get distracted by a different quest. Every time I show back up in town it's like "No seriously Elazul I swear this time we're gonna find her".

We never do though

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Ace Transmuter posted:

I keep picking up Elazul at the bar to help him but he gives me no direction so I literally just drag him around with me everywhere until I get distracted by a different quest. Every time I show back up in town it's like "No seriously Elazul I swear this time we're gonna find her".

We never do though

Solution: Talk to Rachel in the bar when you have Elazul with you.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/TechConnectify/status/1325858246104510464

I saw this in a different thread and it is somehow relevant here.

Now we just need to see the Green Wiggly.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Today I got kidnapped by a dudbear and attended an impromptu poetry reading 20 miles below the surface of the Earth.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

HEY, extremely nice item that you probably don’t want to miss information here

so in the og you had to have a couple saves from some square games for events to show up, in this one they seem to just occur. So after you defeat the bone dragon boss, you’ll want to head back into the skeleton dragon area and head back up to the top bridge area to fight the other skeleton boss, whose now incorporated the dead dragon boss into himself. It’s a tough fight but he drops a really great sword. You can only fight this guy before you finish the dragon arc otherwise you’re SOL.

Why yes I only learned this at the worst possible time for myself.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

"really great sword" is relative though, since almost any weapon gets good if you shove some coins in them.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Pirate penguin relationships are complicated.

My adopted son is 2/3rds done with his scrapbook. Kids grow up so fast these days; one day you're kicking their rear end in a pumpkin field, and next thing you know they're on the precipice of conquering the world with a tyrannical arcane fist.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Snake Maze posted:

I don't think you can control pets. IIRC you can change its personality to lonely with the right food to make it stick close to you.

What you're looking for is Squalphins (grow with a Round/Oblong seed combo, order doesn't matter, both are buyable in Bone Fortress). They can make it Friendly and Lonely personality, which make it want to stay near you - out of all the feeding benefits for a Polter Box specifically (or really, any pet that you want primarily for its synchro), this is the most important part.

Barring that, since Polter Box can't benefit from its own synchro, you don't really need (... or want) to feed it to raise its offensive stats, but you can lean on things like Cabbadillo (physical defenses) and Bug Meat/Dialaurel (magic defense) to make it tankier, so it's less likely to die while it's clinging to you near the enemy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hibbloes posted:

HEY, extremely nice item that you probably don’t want to miss information here

so in the og you had to have a couple saves from some square games for events to show up, in this one they seem to just occur. So after you defeat the bone dragon boss, you’ll want to head back into the skeleton dragon area and head back up to the top bridge area to fight the other skeleton boss, whose now incorporated the dead dragon boss into himself. It’s a tough fight but he drops a really great sword. You can only fight this guy before you finish the dragon arc otherwise you’re SOL.

Why yes I only learned this at the worst possible time for myself.

You could actually fight Deathbringer II in the original even without a SF save, you just wouldn't get the sword from it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I got a fruit bat.

OK, so technically it's a blood sucking bat, but it also hatched from a bird egg, so I'm guessing this game isn't that concerned with accuracy. I've been feeding it different kinds of fruit and it started to use a strong flame breath attack in battle. No idea if that's related, I just wanted to mention it.

I also climbed a huge tower filled with monsters to fight an animated centaur-armor. Then, when I later wanted to walk out of the tower, John Carpenter's the Thing was waiting for me. This game sometimes. :allears:

Edit:

Shout out to Pearl, who spend the entire tower adventure cowering in fear. Which I guess considering what we encountered in here makes her the most normal person I've met so far.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 4, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Vil posted:

What you're looking for is Squalphins (grow with a Round/Oblong seed combo, order doesn't matter, both are buyable in Bone Fortress). They can make it Friendly and Lonely personality, which make it want to stay near you - out of all the feeding benefits for a Polter Box specifically (or really, any pet that you want primarily for its synchro), this is the most important part.

Barring that, since Polter Box can't benefit from its own synchro, you don't really need (... or want) to feed it to raise its offensive stats, but you can lean on things like Cabbadillo (physical defenses) and Bug Meat/Dialaurel (magic defense) to make it tankier, so it's less likely to die while it's clinging to you near the enemy.

I’ve been doing exactly that, with the cabadillos. I’ll definitely try to change its personality in NG+

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I'd been holding off for another paycheck, but gently caress it, I picked the game up on Switch. Can't wait to play it if I'm still awake after work tonight.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I've mostly been a PC gamer the last 15 years, and I have a hard time coming back to consoles. I grabbed a switch at some point, but I find it hard to play for more than 15 or 20 minutes. Id been playing Dragon Quest I, but this game is so much better for bite sized gaming. I can get a whole little story arc in by the 20 minute mark, and I get to passively build up a bigger arsenal of stuff in the game to work toward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I did it. I navigated the Flames without turning off encounters, though the temptation was real. If 12 year old me had to go through it, today me has to too.