Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Why does Mookie hide the author's first name? Does he think we forgot who Jacob was? Or is it a fakeout and it's a descendant of the Deegans who isn't Jacob. I wonder if Jacob's still alive 200 years later. He could be since he's a necromancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah definitely a fakeout. So clever!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm still stuck on the sequence of events here. So let me get this straight:

- Snout and co. go to the library (and apparently all ditch Snout to go... Do something else?).
- Veth is running late, and sends a messenger to tell Snout.
- Veth shows up, gives Snout a book, and then just also straight up leaves immediately.
- Veth inserted a note partway through that book he assumed Snout would find, instead of, you know, just pointing out the page he wanted him to see before ditching him.

Did I get all that right? It honestly feels like these people are loving with Snout rather than helping him.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm still stuck on the sequence of events here. So let me get this straight:

- Snout and co. go to the library (and apparently all ditch Snout to go... Do something else?).
- Veth is running late, and sends a messenger to tell Snout.
- Veth shows up, gives Snout a book, and then just also straight up leaves immediately.
- Veth inserted a note partway through that book he assumed Snout would find, instead of, you know, just pointing out the page he wanted him to see before ditching him.

Did I get all that right? It honestly feels like these people are loving with Snout rather than helping him.

It's keeping him busy while the adults actually do work

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But why tell him you're running late if all you're doing is giving him a book? Why slip a note in that book he might not find about reading a page instead of showing him that page before you take off? Actually, why not slip the note in page 27 and have it say "read the poem on this page"?

I know it's a case of "we're thinking about this more than Mookie did," but, MAN it's confusing.

Also, page 27 huh? Looks like Mookie drew that book only like ~40 pages long.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Riot Bus posted:

Yeah, because mocking art by purposefully misunderstanding simple information definitely makes you look cool and funny and smarter than Mookie. That's some Cinema Sins level poo poo.

It wasn't on purpose, I am legit having trouble telling Veth apart from the other nameless orcs - and that fact that Mookie has now changed a primary identifier for his design twice (first his hair, then his clothes( is NOT making it easier for me. It's made worse by characters constantly floating in and out of the scene, coming from nowhere and going to nowhere with no clear motivation means I cant even use context to identify him, and then the lack of dialogue coupled with the lack of body language... I don't know what you want from me.

I don't know man, maybe I'm just an idiot, but not being able to tell that was supposed to be Veth was 100% sincere

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 2, 2021

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Maybe Snout needs to learn about lucid dreaming because all of this is an incoherent dream with incoherent dream buildings that change shape on the inside or reflect things you see in daily life but distortedly, people change shape and size and motivation at random, people appear and disappear and motivations and goals never stay consistent

if Snout learns lucid dreaming he can finally bring order to this disorganized, manic dream he's stuck in

otherwise he is at the mercy of the next page's shift, ever adrift never realizing that everything has changed again and again and again

what new things will be introduced and forgotten about in the haze of dreamlurch? whose personality will shift into a friend, an enemy, without warning, next? only by mastering lucid dreaming will this lovely comic stop being an incoherent stream of consciousness with no memory of any page older than a month

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But why tell him you're running late if all you're doing is giving him a book? Why slip a note in that book he might not find about reading a page instead of showing him that page before you take off? Actually, why not slip the note in page 27 and have it say "read the poem on this page"?

I know it's a case of "we're thinking about this more than Mookie did," but, MAN it's confusing.

Also, page 27 huh? Looks like Mookie drew that book only like ~40 pages long.

Honestly, the entire part with the orcling showing up to deliver a note saying Veth would be late was completely unnecessary and added nothing. Like, the reader could have easily assumed that they just showed up a bit early and Snout had some time to start reading books before Veth arrived, and then had Veth arrive in the exact same way and it would have read fine. I have zero idea why the whole orcling note aspect was added.

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't know man, maybe I'm just an idiot, but not being able to tell that was supposed to be Veth was 100% sincere

I can also only go off of my own read of the pages to determine how clear it seems, so I can't just objectively tell you that something is easy or not - but it does feel like if one were reading these pages from the archive it would be less confusing, which is more of a general webcomic problem than a Mookie problem. Really, my comment was not about targetting you in particular, it's more like a trend that I've noticed while participating in this thread, which is people going whole hog into Cinema Sins style criticism of nothing when there are plenty of more grievous things to comment on that can't be attributed to them personally having a brain fart while taking in the contents of a new page.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Remember the other ink witch and the other dude with her? Remember how they were bad guys who kidnapped ink witch? I don’t think Mookie does.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
At the time of the orcling delivery page Mookie must've had no clue why Veth asked Snout to meet him here, so he bought some time with the note. I can only assume he then got the idea for the first poem, realized he had no idea where to go with that after finishing the page, then pivoted to this second poem that more easily lends itself to full pages of exposition.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Looking back, they said the library probably wouldn't have the book Snout was looking for back in March.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DamnitGannet posted:

Remember the other ink witch and the other dude with her? Remember how they were bad guys who kidnapped ink witch? I don’t think Mookie does.

Now the much more important conflict is that one guy was rude to Snout. And it was cleared up by someone telling him to leave, off screen.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Riot Bus posted:

Yeah, because mocking art by purposefully misunderstanding simple information definitely makes you look cool and funny and smarter than Mookie. That's some Cinema Sins level poo poo.

This guy has only existed to take notes for Dexethar until this second. In the art, he's carrying multiple bags while Dexethar carries none, implying he's carrying both their bags. He didn't speak up for a moment, so to speak, in the only scenes he's been in. Meeting Snout was framed as this clandestine thing he was trying to hide from Dexethar, meaning it's highly unlikely that they're equals.

I dunno, maybe I'm reading some loving context clues and making an assumption accordingly. Because my brain put those together differently from yours, and our two heads do not share the same contents. Maybe the real problem is that you're seeing "coming to a different conclusion from me based on the information at hand" as "purposefully misunderstanding simple information."

Same with Vex's face, by the way! You could tell them apart easily, good for you, Mr. Smart Man. Other people couldn't.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Midnight Voyager posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm reading some loving context clues and making an assumption accordingly. Because my brain put those together differently from yours, and our two heads do not share the same contents. Maybe the real problem is that you're seeing "coming to a different conclusion from me based on the information at hand" as "purposefully misunderstanding simple information."

This isn't a question of connecting dots - it's you deciding that your subjective first impression is more accurate and the word of god than what the further development the author is presenting. You're arguing as if it's objective fact that Veth is just a servant when his being credited suggests otherwise. Before the moment you saw him credited the take that he's just a servant was reasonable, but seeing him credited suggests otherwise. My issue with your post was that you seemed to think that the vibe you personally took away from the first meeting with the characters is more true than what is ostensibly the authorial intent.

This is the same as being introduced to two characters who are portrayed as passionately not getting along, only for the protagonist to later spot them kissing. You COULD go 'what! this doesn't make any sense! they were portrayed as not liking each other before! the author has forgotten their own story!", but in pretty much any narrative this would more reasonable be used to conclude that maybe their relationship is more complicated than you originally thought, rather than declaring it inaccurate to characters you hardly know anything abuot.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Riot Bus posted:

This isn't a question of connecting dots - it's you deciding that your subjective first impression is more accurate and the word of god than what the further development the author is presenting. You're arguing as if it's objective fact that Veth is just a servant when his being credited suggests otherwise. Before the moment you saw him credited the take that he's just a servant was reasonable, but seeing him credited suggests otherwise. My issue with your post was that you seemed to think that the vibe you personally took away from the first meeting with the characters is more true than what is ostensibly the authorial intent.

This is the same as being introduced to two characters who are portrayed as passionately not getting along, only for the protagonist to later spot them kissing. You COULD go 'what! this doesn't make any sense! they were portrayed as not liking each other before! the author has forgotten their own story!", but in pretty much any narrative this would more reasonable be used to conclude that maybe their relationship is more complicated than you originally thought, rather than declaring it inaccurate to characters you hardly know anything abuot.

Sure, why not? If that turns out to be true, fine! But it's not the impression I got, so I made a one-off comment on a goddamn internet forum thread.

Or maybe it's Mookie and he doesn't know that you don't credit transcriptionists that way because it's a one-off detail on a single book cover that wasn't really worth more of a note than the single comment I made. And then you blow it up into a big thing. When you could have just let the comment pass without fanfare and it wouldn't have mattered.

Your subjective first impression of people in this thread was "willful misunderstanding." Maybe it's just MISUNDERSTANDING and nobody's trying that hard because they're reading a dumb comic thread on their phone on a break from something else. Meaning your subjective first impression, which you are taking as more accurate and the word of god than what is actually in people's brains, is also wrong.

Try this next time: "Well, maybe he's more important than has been implied." Ah, yes, you could be right, and you are doing so without being a dick about it! Good show.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I’m honestly amazed he managed to soldier on following this kind of reaction. He genuinely thought Supergreg was a good idea. I know I would have been crushed if the idea didn’t take off with my fans and this was their response.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it's pretty amazing. There were two other forums (which are a pain in the rear end to navigate due to only existing on the Wayback Machine, so I can't extract any content from them) and they all seemed to have turned against Mookie around the same time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, it's kinda funny where the line seemed to be drawn. They could get through the uncomfortable stuff but not a superhero?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah, it's really bizarre looking back from a current-day mindset and seeing that it was the superhero poo poo and not the rape plot that got to people. The portrayal of the Stonewater stuff was just so terrible to my current sensibilities I have no idea how I got through it at the time. I remembered the thing with Melna but I forgot how much effort Mookie spent on making Melna (or anyone else) being angry about it seem irrational and even sinful.

Though, like I've seen a few mention in the Keenspot forums, I think that DD's update frequency had a lot of people hanging on for much longer than they might have otherwise. A webcomic updating daily had a way of keeping people around regardless of what went on.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Riot Bus posted:

I'm a little on your side here, but I have to say that Mookie's slapdash approach to plotting means that his visual communication of ideas is remarkably poor. Mookie, when he presented Veth, was communicating a power differential between them and Daxethar, quite obviously. Now, I interpreted it as a more of a Professor/Grad Student thing, but there's no question that that was the relationship communicated, dominant and subordinate. Now, 2 questions come out of that, what and why?

What is the nature of the relationship: Mookie provides us no clues as to what the context of that relationship is, or what sort of trouble Veth could get into for talking to Snout, which is what was implied could happen with the clandestine note. What are the stakes for Veth? What are his goals? Does he like Daxethar but finds his professor's manners embarrasing, or is there fear/resentment/hatred there?

Why do we care: What are the stakes for snout and the story? Is Daxethar a minor obstacle or a major foe? What part does Veth play in Snout's quest?

So, subsequently, we find that Veth and Daxethar have co-authored a book together, which might or might not mean their relationship is more equal then we though. The question then becomes, what was the purpose of all that info communciated earlier? At this point it seems like the relationship between Veth and Daxethar actually doesn't matter at all, and like Thelonius the introduction was just useless fluff.

This matters because it speaks to Mookie's inability to actually us the language of his medium to communicate. He, either because of his bad plotting or general incompetence, exhausts his audience with useless nonsense that communciated nothing story relevant. He intorudces things that seem to contradict but never clarifies them. When people are confused by Veth's relationship, they're actually trying to grasp the reason they were given the info at all. In a normal story, there would be one, but in DD, there usually isn't.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 2, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quite a few of them mentioned the rape thing as well as the first example of the comic jumping the shark. Maybe I'll go back and find the forum responses from that time too.

But yeah, the beginning of the end of fan good will was this storyline, not that one, for whatever reason.

Riot Bus posted:

Though, like I've seen a few mention in the Keenspot forums, I think that DD's update frequency had a lot of people hanging on for much longer than they might have otherwise. A webcomic updating daily had a way of keeping people around regardless of what went on.

I certainly read Sluggy Freelance for a LOT longer than I really should have considering how banal it was because it was my first webcomic. Once there were much better alternatives I realize that I - gasp - don't HAVE to read it.

Same thing with the Goosebumps series. I read them because I was a voracious reader as a kid, and there were a lot of them to read, but I eventually realized there was a lot better stuff out there. Now, coming to today, as a 37 year old, I don't read ANY books! Mission succeeded!

Beelzebufo posted:

What is the nature of the relationship: Mookie provides us no clues as to what the context of that relationship is, or what sort of trouble Veth could get into for talking to Snout, which is what was implied could happen with the clandestine note. What are the stakes for Veth? What are his goals? Does he like Daxethar but finds his professor's manners embarrasing, or is there fear/resentment/hatred there?

Yeah the fact that the orc mage dude (sorry I CANNOT remember these names) apparently kicked Dax out for being a dick to Snout is never referenced. Apparently it's just ok for Veth to still interact with him? Why is none of this explored? Why did him getting kicked out happen offscreen, without any of us seeing the aftermath? IDGI.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 2, 2021

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
If Veth is some sort of assistant or subordinate Mookie actually did do a pretty good job at communicating that.

As for Veth being credited as an author, eh, I'm willing to wait for clarification I guess. I just more want to see where all this is leading and, I agree with post above, it feels like when this comic does succeed at communicating something clearly it never really amounts to anything in the long run.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah the fact that the orc mage dude (sorry I CANNOT remember these names)

Arudak.

...what the hell, that's apparently the only name I can clearly remember in this without looking back for clarification.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
That untelegraphed enjambment on the last line is a perfect summary of all the weird fumbles of Mookie's work.

The whole thing is bad, but then there's a little detail that goes beyond basic incompetence. Like there's nothing inherently wrong with enjambment. If he'd just indented that last line it would have been fine. Or if there was any rhythm/structure/anything that would coach the reader on how to read each line (instead of very nearly the opposite). And it's not as if it's an insurmountable puzzle or whatever. It's just a little thing that makes the whole thing work just a little worse than it would've otherwise.

That's kinda how I feel about the Veth thing. It wasn't impossible to figure out. I think I had basically the same experience that Twelve by Pies described: basically thinking he was a different person at first because the only way we have to identify most characters is their clothes and hairstyle and both of those had changed, but then figuring it out from context. And, you know, fine. Whatever. It's just that extra bit of unnecessarily work (or whatever you want to call it) that goes beyond the basic incompetence the permeates everything. And produces the equivalent of that sensation where you're going up stairs and try to put your foot down on a step that isn't there.

Beelzebufo posted:

Mookie, when he presented Veth, was communicating a power differential between them and Daxethar, quite obviously. Now, I interpreted it as a more of a Professor/Grad Student thing[...]
That's was my impression as well, and it's emphasized by the fact that Veth is initially drawn with wide-open round eyes and Daxethar has smaller, squinty eyes...which is cartoon shorthand for youth and age, respectively:

The fact that Daxethar has facial hair emphasises this difference.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Riot Bus posted:

it does feel like if one were reading these pages from the archive it would be less confusing, which is more of a general webcomic problem than a Mookie problem.

Yeah if we were reading these back to back in the space of a few seconds it might feel different, but reading them a couple of days apart makes a difference.

Honestly I can't blame anyone for not wanting to devote even the smallest bit of brain space for this comic.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Quite a few of them mentioned the rape thing as well as the first example of the comic jumping the shark. Maybe I'll go back and find the forum responses from that time too.

But yeah, the beginning of the end of fan good will was this storyline, not that one, for whatever reason.

I've got some sideye for anyone who was willing to give Stonewater a pass but the sheer explosive awfulness of Supergreg is something special. There's no buildup whatsoever, one second you're reading a DnD webcomic and the next Supergreg is in your face with his uninspired spandex suit. Mookie must've felt invincible to think that he could pull it off, and I feel like everything that happens with Greg going forward must've been in response to Supergreg's reception.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They're offscreen reading along with us so when they come back they'll be instantly up to speed of course.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
To be fair to people back then (lol) The stonewater thing wasnt...that out of the ordinary for webmedia at the time was it? I remember being a girl online back then it was sort of hard to find any webcomics that appealed to me because they were a bit dominated by the 2000s gamer boy demographic so the market was pretty saturated in sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. Not defending mookie for doing it, but I can see how readers may not be that shocked by it considering the "market"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bismuth posted:

To be fair to people back then (lol) The stonewater thing wasnt...that out of the ordinary for webmedia at the time was it? I remember being a girl online back then it was sort of hard to find any webcomics that appealed to me because they were a bit dominated by the 2000s gamer boy demographic so the market was pretty saturated in sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. Not defending mookie for doing it, but I can see how readers may not be that shocked by it considering the "market"

Ok I just looked back at the Keenspot forums for 1/25/2006 (the infamous strip), and... You don't need to be fair to them. The responses of the people in the forum are absolutely disgusting. Everyone thinks Stonewater is blameless. Some were actually making jokes about how long orcs last in bed. Virtually none were calling out Mookie for crafting such a bizarre, exploitative scenario all for the purposes of making a "heroic rapist". I think maybe the negative reaction came later after others processed the story alongside the constant backdrop of monkeycheese garbage.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok I just looked back at the Keenspot forums for 1/25/2006 (the infamous strip), and... You don't need to be fair to them. The responses of the people in the forum are absolutely disgusting. Everyone thinks Stonewater is blameless. Some were actually making jokes about how long orcs last in bed. Virtually none were calling out Mookie for crafting such a bizarre, exploitative scenario all for the purposes of making a "heroic rapist". I think maybe the negative reaction came later after others processed the story alongside the constant backdrop of monkeycheese garbage.

Oh well thats gross, I figured by "not calling him out" it was more indifference, which I could understand given the way media was then, than actually enjoying that storyline or agreeing with it. Early-mid 2000s online media spaces felt like an absolute hellscape if you werent a SWM

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I hate every single font used in this stinking comic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Howard Beale posted:

I hate every single font used in this stinking comic.

Yeah, none of it fits the texts we're looking at- the hand-scratched notes are fine and all, but every time we see print it's some goofy-rear end comic-like font but that doesn't make any sense.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Riot Bus posted:

Yeah, it's really bizarre looking back from a current-day mindset and seeing that it was the superhero poo poo and not the rape plot that got to people. The portrayal of the Stonewater stuff was just so terrible to my current sensibilities I have no idea how I got through it at the time. I remembered the thing with Melna but I forgot how much effort Mookie spent on making Melna (or anyone else) being angry about it seem irrational and even sinful.

That last part might actually be why people were more okay with it. The only people who have a disgusted reaction to Stonewater's actions are villains, mind-controlled by villains, or have it explained by Dominic, who is a Good And Rational Guy, that their rage is Very Irrational And Bad. That leaves an impression, especially on younger readers, who probably made up most of the audience. Add a bunch of people who actually believe that rape can be justified to the mix and most people who were disgusted at first would have quickly learned that this wasn't the popular opinion.

Besides, it's not as if Dominic Deegan was or is the only place where the idea of the "heroic rapist" comes up. I haven't seen those in a while, hopefully because people actually speak out against them by now, but people have been giving that "Okay, but WHAT IF a terrorist threatens to blow up the orphanage UNLESS I rape this thirteen year old? Wouldn't it be the moral choice then?" since forever, along with "Okay, but what if she secretly WANTED to be raped?". (Which this comic is also guilty of, seeing as Melna retroactively decides it was okay and Stonewater is now her husband and she loves him and excuse me while I go throw up.)

On a less depressing note, Super-Greg would have been okay as a one-time gag for a less serious filler arc between big stuff happening. Unfortunately what actually happened was the Deegan brothers playing superheroes, using the entire town as their action figures.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah when I heard "Supergreg" I thought comedy subplot, not literally the resolution of this very serious threat to hundreds/thousands of lives.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Lmaoing at some of the old edits in the thread but also wowza Snout looks like a completely different guy. His body has gotten much hairier and lumpier, while his face has gotten more "cute". Interesting trade off.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
this guy owns

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well Naruto withdrawal will do that to a man

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I know it's because Rotten Red Rod censored the r-slur but I've been giggling for like a day at the idea of someone saying "today is the day that Mookie became the most redacted man on the internet"

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Sometimes I wish he'd been redacted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

origin of the redactor revealed