Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"Why does this new entry explore similar themes to the two films in the franchise that everyone loves?"

The full pullquote from Hawley talks about wanting to see both the people who are exploited by the system, as the previous films explored, as well as see the exploiters themselves. We got Weyland in Prometheus, and we got a middle manager with Paul Reiser, but it seems like the new territory here is going to be shedding a little light on the corporate overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re dropping the alien on earth with a budget so that could be fun.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Julius CSAR posted:

Isn’t that both Alien and Aliens though?

Not according to the geniuses on twitter

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1410917976610590722
https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1410808405413879813
https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/1410636071470239748

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

"Why does this new entry explore similar themes to the two films in the franchise that everyone loves?"

The full pullquote from Hawley talks about wanting to see both the people who are exploited by the system, as the previous films explored, as well as see the exploiters themselves. We got Weyland in Prometheus, and we got a middle manager with Paul Reiser, but it seems like the new territory here is going to be shedding a little light on the corporate overlords.

I mean in the former movies the billionaire masterminds were always safely off in the distance weren't they? Like weird holograph man in Promotheus.

Except in Alien Versus Predator but whatever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Maxwell Lord posted:

For whatever reason WotC are very big on Forgotten Realms being the setting for this current edition- I've heard some scuttlebutt about needing to publish FR material to retain the rights from Ed Greenwood (who actually created the setting independent of xD&D at first) but that feels like something that would have been resolved earlier, but anyway, they don't put out a lot of books themselves because the D&D crew is kinda small so it's almost all FR, which is- I mean it's not a bad setting but it's very generic. I feel like they see it as the "traditional D&D" lens and something like Eberron or Planescape would be confusing. Which sucks.

My vote would be Planescape, set it in a crowded semi-Victorian torus city full of monsters and demons and other folks just going about their day. Just have Tony DiTerlizzi do all the art direction. Make it like Labyrinth, kids love that poo poo.

Labyrinth was a box office bomb

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Labyrinth was a box office bomb

So were Blade Runner and Fight Club in their initial cinema runs, but they all gained cult status and made a fortune off home media sales. Box office isn't the be-all and end-all.

They're also working on a Labyrinth sequel right now, Scott Derrickson was announced as director last year.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I'll never understand the depth of conservative illiteracy when it comes to any and all media. "How dare you jam anti-capitalist themes into Alien" is on the level of, "ugh stay out of politics, Tom Morello; you just lost a fan!"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Xealot posted:

I'll never understand the depth of conservative illiteracy when it comes to any and all media. "How dare you jam anti-capitalist themes into Alien" is on the level of, "ugh stay out of politics, Tom Morello; you just lost a fan!"

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/827887491738894337

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

We all remember that famous scene from Alien where they've got Ash's head talking to them about the alien and he says, "I admire it for no reason in particular. I'm just a cool robot with no opinion on anything that's been going on and I just do things arbitrarily."

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nowwhat posted:

why does everyone compare it to John Wick, when it is clearly Taken?

Baken

*Some clapping gif*

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Flying Zamboni posted:

We all remember that famous scene from Alien where they've got Ash's head talking to them about the alien and he says, "I admire it for no reason in particular. I'm just a cool robot with no opinion on anything that's been going on and I just do things arbitrarily."

I remember Aliens, where the evil corporation sends working class settlers to a known-to-be-dangerous planet, but totally by accident and they feel terrible about it. And when Paul Reiser's character tries to smuggle xenomorph embryos inside living women and children? It's because he's just a rogue bad guy. Does it for no reason. Definitely not in a way sanctioned by his corporate handlers; they wouldn't have wanted him to do something like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish Ben Shapiro would get facehugged

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ben SHapiro is mad cuz nobody wants to watch his lovely movies

Flying Zamboni posted:

but I think you will Bishop is capitalism redeemed sir and also WHOA COOL ROBOT

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

that's just a hug from anyone above 3'1

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Ben Shapiro is the shifty dude who gets chest-bursted in the first 15 minutes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There’s some speculation that he’s hemorrhaging money to keep his poo poo promoted on FaceBook and YouTube. Plus his school shooter movie making no money. I’ll be a little shocked if his backers give him enough to make another movie since he’s a bad bet, and all the kids are mocking him these days.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
ben didn't even make that movie, just bought the rights because no real distributor would touch it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

He wouldn't be able to understand how such a bone dry creature could attach itself to his face.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Post credits scene where they meet Ridley, who tells them it's time to take on the real bad guy now (in the sequel that will never get made.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xealot posted:

When you build your entire worldview on a cascading series of cognitive biases you're pretty much forced to develop the ability to ignore huge chunks of observable reality

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

There’s some speculation that he’s hemorrhaging money to keep his poo poo promoted on FaceBook and YouTube. Plus his school shooter movie making no money. I’ll be a little shocked if his backers give him enough to make another movie since he’s a bad bet, and all the kids are mocking him these days.

Shapiro gets his money from so many Republican donors who are so incredibly rich that there's no way they'll ever turn funding for him off, because on the grand scheme of things he costs them virtually nothing and if he's perceived as having had a setback it would mean that their mutual enemies have won, so they'll keep propping him up if for no other reason than to keep claiming he's the most influential intellectual on the web or whatever.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casimir Radon posted:

I was watching Always Sunny and this older guy comes in and overheard one of Dennis' insane rants and asked if I was watching a Ben Shapiro video (he didn't see the screen). I pretended not to know who that was and he told me that he has some good ideas and thought I'd like him.

That's my Shapiro story :tipshat:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xealot posted:

I remember Aliens, where the evil corporation sends working class settlers to a known-to-be-dangerous planet, but totally by accident and they feel terrible about it. And when Paul Reiser's character tries to smuggle xenomorph embryos inside living women and children? It's because he's just a rogue bad guy. Does it for no reason. Definitely not in a way sanctioned by his corporate handlers; they wouldn't have wanted him to do something like that.

In this case, that’s actually an accurate plot synopsis

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In this case, that’s actually an accurate plot synopsis

So everyone who's ever paid attention to the movie sees this conspiracy but because the WY guys on earth are playing really dumb for a few minutes it's not the case?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

CelticPredator posted:

can you imagine what an insufferable xenomorph that would create though

duz
Jul 11, 2005

HannibalBarca posted:

At least it would be small enough you could stuff it in a locker.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

HannibalBarca posted:

duz posted:

At least it would be small enough you could stuff it out an air lock.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So everyone who's ever paid attention to the movie sees this conspiracy but because the WY guys on earth are playing really dumb for a few minutes it's not the case?

Yes, correct. There is no conspiracy in Alien or Aliens, except between Ash and Mother. The executives did not purposefully send workers to this specific moon to be turned into aliens, because that would be silly.

Paul Reiser does believe the company will pay big for illegally-smuggled alien parts, but a great deal of his plan doesn’t actually make very much sense. Like, it’s so slipshod that he appears to be improvising the whole thing out of desperation. I’ve given it a pretty thorough look over in the designated Alien thread.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HannibalBarca posted:

Aliens don’t take the garbage personalities from their host.

But it might be a very tiny Xeno though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CelticPredator posted:

Aliens don’t take the garbage personalities from their host.

But it might be a very tiny Xeno though.

Like the dog xeno in Alien3

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That’s how plausible-deniability capitalist businesses skirt around laws and morals in the real world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Tomorrow War is a weird movie because it feels like the middle third in the future was a completely different movie.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I was watching Always Sunny and this older guy comes in and overheard one of Dennis' insane rants and asked if I was watching a Ben Shapiro video (he didn't see the screen). I pretended not to know who that was and he told me that he has some good ideas and thought I'd like him.

That's my Shapiro story :tipshat:

I had something similar happen when I went to a new weed dealer’s place to pick up and he had a Jorp lecture on TV and asked if I knew about him and I was like “Nope, never heard of him.”

The the dealer dude tells me he’s just gotten his master’s in mental health therapy and I was like :stonk:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1410914382004039681?s=19

Do we need another movie on him?

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 3, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m getting really loving sick of this mythologizing of serial killers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's insane (no pun intended) how much Ed Gein has influenced pop culture.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If they do the Ted Bundy movie right showing him have sex with severed heads and all that henious gross poo poo, it could work. If only to portray him exactly as he is. A pathetic gross weirdo monster.

Stop making him a hunky boy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casimir Radon posted:

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure he comes from money, and he's been astroturfed from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure he comes from money, and he's been astroturfed from the start.

His parents both worked in Hollywood and sunk a bunch of money into his “career” early on to buy his popularity. He is literally a creation of Hollywood elites.