Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

it’s not dumb because it’s not an accident

fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Share Bear posted:

this should be added to goons.txt

welp

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1411124163100786690

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Jonny 290 posted:

except they don't. straight up giving people free housing and transportation and medical care is way cheaper than letting them live on the street and get arrested over and over and have ambulances dispatched if they OD

the cruelty is the point, but it must be remote cruelty.

sorry I meant to say that it costs a lot of money that the right people don’t make as opposed to cop salaries, private prison operators, gun/taser manufacturers, etc

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1411003053369614337?s=20

the onion is still on point

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

and every small city too!!!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I made it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
nice yospos being well represented lately

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/bpd_mn/status/1411016392934055940?s=21

hmmmm

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

nice

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

:abrathink:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

I will say, Austin is doing some work along that front. They've purchased a few former hotels around the city that they are converting into housing specifically for the homeless. Part of the deal was that there would be one of these in each city council district (and naturally, the one they are buying in the city's reddest district is facing some intense objections.)

The insane thing about those hotel-conversion projects is that they were literally free money from the feds and people still flipped out about them. It was the most mask-off poo poo ever.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

The insane thing about those hotel-conversion projects is that they were literally free money from the feds and people still flipped out about them. It was the most mask-off poo poo ever.

there was recently a community hearing here in the sunset district of sf for a seven story "affordable" housing project. a big room full of people screaming about parking and shadows and toxic dust and god only knows what else

people will express support for all sorts of theoretical solutions to homelessness (especially those that let their friends suck up salaries in non-profit and government orgs) right up till the moment it threatens to land in their neighborhood

i should mention that the affordable housing in question is projected to cost nearly a million dollars per unit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
as a person who has been made to attend a nonzero number of public meetings, their portrayal in the comedy "parks & rec" is barely barely satirical

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

public meetings are the best argument against direct democracy i've ever experienced

i still support it out of principle, but still, woof

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

as a person who has been made to attend a nonzero number of public meetings, their portrayal in the comedy "parks & rec" is barely barely satirical

this is the only parks and rec thing i've ever seen and i've avoided seeing anything else because i know it's not going to be this good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgyIy5i8z0U

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like most network TV, Parks & Rec is a fun concept that's good for 1-2 seasons stretched out for way too many years.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

party down had the perfect amount of episodes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Oneiros posted:

public meetings are the best argument against direct democracy i've ever experienced

my thoughts as well

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’m so, SO glad I don’t have to put up with that bullshit at work anymore. staffing public meetings was probably my least favorite thing to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the best public comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6572mQQU5e0

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This was such a great show. I hope they make a new season.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Oneiros posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcV38fHeEwY

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol, oof.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzs5xSxLk5A

"mam this is [about] a portillos drive thru"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

sarnia has the advantage because you can just grab your passport and go across the border to detroit where it's somehow less lovely
l
I regret to inform u it’s port Huron across from sarnia

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

11 Suspects Now in Custody Following Armed Standoff Off I-95 in Mass.: Police
Heavily armed men with handguns and rifles "claiming to be from a group that does not recognize our laws" fled a traffic stop in Wakefield, police said

plot twist:

State Police Col. Christopher Mason said the men identified themselves as being part of a group known as Rise of the Moors. The group's website describes them as "Moorish Americans dedicated to educating new Moors and influencing our Elders."

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
An interesting flavor of sovcit!

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/moorish-sovereign-citizens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

are they the sovcits who steal people's houses?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

Yes. In fact, they did it to somebody on TikTok recently…

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdHaW1Cc/

(That is the first video, and then she does a whole series of videos breaking down the whole story.)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

sounds like a fantastic way to get shot

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i used to go to public city government meetings all the the time, i was the chair of one of them. they can be very bad, however we also legitimately accomplished some stuff that benefited everyone (except a giant commercial real estate company, but they're stupid and wrong and it is good for them too)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there was like this season arc of people complaining about a giant old multi-family house that changed hands from a quiet old couple to a rich guy renting it out to a few families / relatives / friends, and they had way more cars and they did work on them themselves, so their neighbors were accusing them of running an illegal auto repair business. it was like 6 months of people complaining and me as chair would just respond "thank you, are there any questions from the board?" and then we'd move on to the next guy complaining that he thinks homeless people are living in the woods (they are, leave them alone).

and then ONE day the new guys who were being complained about all showed up and gave these theatrical over-the-top dramatic speeches about respect and understanding and freedom and it was this great finale. i guess they all get along now though, that was the end of it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stereotype posted:

i used to go to public city government meetings all the the time, i was the chair of one of them. they can be very bad, however we also legitimately accomplished some stuff that benefited everyone (except a giant commercial real estate company, but they're stupid and wrong and it is good for them too)

you ever throw any motherfuckers out?

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
A main problem with local (and often state) politics is it's the domain of people with plenty of money and nothing better to do, since outside of urban areas, those positions pay jack poo poo. Rich assholes. Retirees. Bored housewives. Vengeful, reactionary types who enjoy hurting and excluding people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nevergirls posted:

A main problem with local (and often state) politics is it's the domain of people with plenty of money and nothing better to do, since outside of urban areas, those positions pay jack poo poo. Rich assholes. Retirees. Bored housewives. Vengeful, reactionary types who enjoy hurting and excluding people.

my favorite thing was when the local news would complain about “double dipping” which was a state employee being elected to government or a retiree collecting a pension being elected to government.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
boomers: well if they have two jobs how can they be paying full attention to either of them
also boomers: look if you cant afford rent just get a second job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/KelgoreTrout/status/1410060147968274439