Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Boxturret posted:

lol remember when the ransomware scammers had to provide a support line to help people through the bitcoin process

“hello, this is Tim with darkphoenix h4ck support, how can I help you this evening?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i think there was a case where the scammers had to unlock the computer for free because they just couldn't get the bitcoin to work

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Boxturret posted:

i think there was a case where the scammers had to unlock the computer for free because they just couldn't get the bitcoin to work

That's good for bitcoin.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

"if they have a bad customer service experience, they might not trust us the next time we extort them"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

KnifeWrench posted:

"if they have a bad customer service experience, they might not trust us the next time we extort them"

this is why Somali piracy was so lucrative, it’s The Cost Of Doing Business and there was no incentive for the pirates to do anything but wait for a check to arrive from an oil or shipping company

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

squirrelzipper posted:

“hello, this is Tim with darkphoenix h4ck support, how can I help you this evening?”

There also was (is?) a cottage industry of tech support scammers who pretend to be ransomware tech support, but actually try to fool you into sending your bitcoins/Google Play cards to them instead.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

I don’t remember where it was, but I remember it was a rural hospital and the illegal encryption providers didn’t actually “target” the old OS’s on the lab/ER computers and some folks almost died. The hackers had more money than the hospital and ended up releasing the hold as a sort of “the bot did the search and attack automatically and we didn’t mean for it to happen” Public Relations reasons.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

KnifeWrench posted:

internet providers sitting back and laughing at how easy it is

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

There also was (is?) a cottage industry of tech support scammers who pretend to be ransomware tech support, but actually try to fool you into sending your bitcoins/Google Play cards to them instead.

it’s just grift and scams in every possible direction but I do have to admit admiration for this particular angle, cause it’s got a certain purity. like an evolutionary quality.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Luigi Thirty posted:

this is why Somali piracy was so lucrative, it’s The Cost Of Doing Business and there was no incentive for the pirates to do anything but wait for a check to arrive from an oil or shipping company

in the shipowners defence, it’s not like they had a lot of options

captain philips got rescued because he’s American, most of the crews that got taken hostage were from the Philippines, India or other developing nations without a subscription to seal team six

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ADINSX posted:

He was just the worst. My first memory of him coming on the team was an discussion/argument that didn't involve me (but was happening at a whiteboard near by). He was just a few days in but didn't like how we had implemented something, so without buy-in from the team, or running it by PMs or having it as part of our sprint he just decided he would throw out the old stuff and rewrite it.

My main interaction was some new interface to talk to two systems in our stack, the details aren't important. Despite having very little experience he had been with Amazon a couple of years (his only job) so he was the designated tech lead for this feature.

I was three months into the job and had lucked into writing a super high impact, high profile change (creating a domain specific language for our users in about 2 months, I wanna be fuzzy on the details cause its a small team and I don't wanna be doxed). So I'm feeling good, really enjoying my job, feeling like I've "proved myself". Well this guy wasn't there for that change, and to him I'm the new guy, so he sits down and explains his plan and tells me "so I'm thinking you just write a bunch of tests for us, you know JUnit right?"

It went downhill from there, we butted heads several times and luckily instead of shouting it out in the hallway with him, I went to the manager and told him this is the worst guy I've ever worked with (and I've worked with some pretty bad guys, I've never had to have a sitdown like this before). Manager apologized to me and told me he'd received other complaints and long story short he was PIP'ed and left the team.

J-J-J-J Unit!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FrozenVent posted:

in the shipowners defence, it’s not like they had a lot of options

captain philips got rescued because he’s American, most of the crews that got taken hostage were from the Philippines, India or other developing nations without a subscription to seal team six

there’s a wiki page listing hostages in various countries and people from the US/UK seem to constantly die in botched rescues while other countries write a check to some militants and they get released

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

isn’t there some official policy of not paying ransoms?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh no I didn't screenshot Mr Bad Take and now he's hiding

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Penisface posted:

isn’t there some official policy of not paying ransoms?

insurance companies have no such scruples

no seriously if you send a ship through the piracy area you have to get “kidnap and ransom” insurance, basically if your crew gets jacked they negotiate with the pirates and pay them

nowadays you also get armed guards, so like three dudes with SKS rifles

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

how is baby doge

hehe

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FrozenVent posted:

no seriously if you send a ship through the piracy area you have to get “kidnap and ransom” insurance, basically if your crew gets jacked they negotiate with the pirates and pay them

and apparently those dudes often just chuck the rifles into the sea when the boat nears its destination because most countries aren't too keen on random ships with armed folks on them pulling into their ports

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

and apparently those dudes often just chuck the rifles into the sea when the boat nears its destination because most countries aren't too keen on random ships with armed folks on them pulling into their ports

nah they stopped doing that, now they have “motherships” that hang out in international waters and pick up the guards when you get out of the high risk area

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

I guess this works if you toss the illegal stuff on another mothership when one of them has to go to port somewhere

isn’t capitalism efficient

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

it's been a thing for people traveling to parts of central/south america, africa and middle east for a long time. basically anywhere unstable, corrupt and/or with active guerilla groups who can make good money from kidnapping foreigners

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The_Franz posted:

it's been a thing for people traveling to parts of central/south america, africa and middle east for a long time. basically anywhere unstable, corrupt and/or with active guerilla groups who can make good money from kidnapping foreigners

A friend's company was trying to abide to their strict anti-corruption policies during their International Women's Leadership conference that they held in South America. So they refused to pay any local fixers or shell out any kind of protection money. Two of the conference attendees ended up getting kidnapped.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

squirrelzipper posted:

it’s just grift and scams in every possible direction
so, bitcoin?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

A friend's company was trying to abide to their strict anti-corruption policies during their International Women's Leadership conference that they held in South America. So they refused to pay any local fixers or shell out any kind of protection money. Two of the conference attendees ended up getting kidnapped.

and they didn't have to spend any money paying any bribes or hiring anyone, i'm not sure what the problem is here

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

LanceHunter posted:

I remember doing some mandatory anti bribery training and one of the questions was about getting stopped at a border and asked for a payment to 'facilitate the border process' or whatever and everybody got that question wrong because the 'correct' one was 'no I would refuse and contact the compliance team so as to ensure I did not give the appearance of bribing a government official'.

contrast that to when I had a temp job years back for a mining company and they were bribing all sorts of people

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

it’s me the person facing border officials with guns and a right to detain me and I’m going to whip out my phone in a “no phones” zone to call hr

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i guess if this really happens and I am doing company business then I have already lost the game at this point

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my training when I worked at a bank specifically said it was only ok to pay a bribe if you thought your physical safety was in immediate danger, also there was a specific expense form you could fill out to get reimbursed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hell even working in fast food we're told if think you're being threatened just give them whatever they want

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I eagerly cannot await the hyperbitcoinzation and the arrive of be your own anti-corruption officer.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

my new RacketCoin facilitates a frictionless protection scheme for you and your business. if at any time you or an an asset feels threatened, RacketCoin will automatically bribe your would-be assailant with the ideally negotiated rate to guarantee your safety and security.

7 confirmations per transaction are suggested to prevent double spending of hostage ransoms. confirmation times may vary between instantaneous and indefinite - please be patient with the network and your captors during this period

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Further, let's put it this way: Africa is like their house, and it is rich with twinkies and natural deposits of X-Boxes. What would you do if someone came into your house and stole your X-Boxes and twinkies? Or if, you know, there were certain people who had demonstrated a propensity to probably stealing your x-boxes and twinkies and were on your property, what is justifiable?

If it's just and morally clear to kill people who are stealing your poo poo then hey guess what.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i like that even though it's ostensibly about black people defending their xbox-laden metaphorical house, it's still structured to have some weird-rear end dogwhistling for no reason

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

stormportcoin

when you're on the seven seas shipping cheap chinese poo poo to assholes landside. Use it to pay for each other's pirASSy cuz it gets real lonely and who is to judge when you need motion in the ocean. Any port in a storm

Lots of seamen

use stormportcoin

and much like that FN FAL you leave it before shore

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

it can only go up uP UP

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i heard that it is difficult to mine x-box ore, because it is very bulky

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qirex posted:

my training when I worked at a bank specifically said it was only ok to pay a bribe if you thought your physical safety was in immediate danger, also there was a specific expense form you could fill out to get reimbursed

yeah this makes more sense but then I don’t work for a bank and the compliance training we get is the minimum we can get away with

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/rsaconference/status/1411399342167109634?s=21

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
yes because bitcoin is an internet protocol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
rsa just jealous someone came up with a less workable solution to the problem than pki