Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Andy Dufresne posted:

When they start running and climbing it becomes clear why they're born with a disposable set of teeth

lol my little girls' two upper front teeth are both chipped from falling while running on a ceramic floor (thankfully they're symmetrical)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

went to the beach, babby managed to lean forward and fall out of the pram due to not having been strapped back in,landed on head,covered in sand, tears, panic, no damage.

that's definitely the first "oh poo poo she can do that", and probably not the last

edit: it was not me who put her back in without restraining her, and you bet I fully buckled her in when I had to put her in the car seat for all of 30 seconds while I put the stroller away and needed both hands.

we stopped having to explain to my mother in law that babby absolutely must be strapped in at all times after my oldest nearly succeeded in leaping from the highchair onto the kitchen tile - i caught her midair

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Workaday Wizard posted:

lol my little girls' two upper front teeth are both chipped from falling while running on a ceramic floor (thankfully they're symmetrical)

oh jeez. poor kid.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
tooth injury has really gotten to me ever since i was a kid and i was watching an episode of popeye and there was like this psa bit at the end and a kid (maybe popeye’s nephew or something) was using the drinking a d got shoved by another kid and he busted a tooth on the water spigot. really got to me.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

President Beep posted:

oh jeez. poor kid.

i was scared as hell when it happened. but thankfully they were only minor clean chips from the top. no cracking or dislocation.

she was play running away from her 4yo brother then fell and he tripped over her.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

tooth injury has really gotten to me ever since i was a kid and i was watching an episode of popeye and there was like this psa bit at the end and a kid (maybe popeye’s nephew or something) was using the drinking a d got shoved by another kid and he busted a tooth on the water spigot. really got to me.

IIRC there was a "don't push at the bubbler" GI Joe The More You Know PSA too.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Workaday Wizard posted:

My son climbs on an IKEA step stool to get up to the kitchen counter, but he doesn't always get inside of it. Sometimes he goes over the back guard rail and pivots at the waist, slamming his mouth on the corner of the countertop. We think he got a chipped tooth from it but really it could have been from anything.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

IIRC there was a "don't push at the bubbler" GI Joe The More You Know PSA too.

gosh, maybe it was that but I could swear it involved popeye’s triplet nephews.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

gosh, maybe it was that but I could swear it involved popeye’s triplet nephews.

Between bubbler safety, stranger/dealer danger, and abandoned refrigerators I think there were a lot of these PSAs "back in the day" (atkstd).

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Workaday Wizard posted:

being parent makes me aware of hardness of surfaces
carpet is easy mode and wooden floors are nbd but its scary as poo poo to see them stand and wobble on tiles

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

suffix posted:

carpet is easy mode and wooden floors are nbd but its scary as poo poo to see them stand and wobble on tiles

when my youngest was about 1 she hit her head hard enough on the tile to get a concussion, which warranted an emergency trip to have an MRI (she was fine)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we stopped having to explain to my mother in law that babby absolutely must be strapped in at all times after my oldest nearly succeeded in leaping from the highchair onto the kitchen tile - i caught her midair

yeah I'll take 'faceplant* into soft sand' over that as the warning sign any day.

*more like a head plant, which is what caused my wife to freak because 'she could have broken her neck' which would be extremely unlikely but I don't really want to think about if I'm honest. She didn't and is fine, that won't be happening again. Until it does.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when my youngest was about 1 she hit her head hard enough on the tile to get a concussion, which warranted an emergency trip to have an MRI (she was fine)

I concussed myself ages about 3 by running full speed into a steel cable supporting a trampoline at 'soft play' and the doctors were like 'nah what's the problem he's fine' until I barfed everywhere. Even then I don't think they actually did anything.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

concussions are one of those things where you should be really glad they didn't need to treat it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

suffix posted:

wait till they start running on concrete

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:shudder:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sometimes you can literally feel it when a new gray hair pops

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dad reflexes are real.

unfortunately they come at the cost of ptsd.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i had to exercise mine earlier this evening toddler was exiting his cozy coop and leaned on the door, almost flipping the the thing over. i was sitting on the floor about five feet away and half scooted-half dove the distance to keep it upright.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
so you just don’t really sleep when you have an infant huh

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

kitten emergency posted:

Depends on whether you have milk on offer

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

lol.

not really, but it depends v much on the infant.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

the baby’s time in the nicu might actually help a bit, as they’re already a little bit used to sleeping in their own bassinet, etc. as opposed to co-sleeping that so many parents do out of desperation. our first son slept horribly as a newborn and we ended up cosleeping early on or else my wife and i were going to die. with the second one he already had some good sleep discipline drilled in from his time in the hospital so it made it easier for us.

also with our first one my wife was still working nights and since i sleep like poo poo anyway i just couldn’t be disciplined wrt teaching him how to sleep on his own.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

kitten emergency posted:

babies are different but in general at this stage you should sleep when the baby does, even if its the middle of the day
good advice i got that i somewhat neglected because ours randomly landed on an easy sleep schedule for a while, and then I got owned once they snapped around to waking up 6 am

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Also, both parents don't need to wake up. If you're breastfeeding you'll be able to pump and feed from the bottle after 3-4 weeks to share duties, if you're on formula you can do it right away. My wife and I sleep in separate bedrooms for now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my wife was doing great with nursing the second baby at night: he took to it well and the sleep was decent. then he started biting when getting his first teeth…

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

silicone earplugs are good and cheap. you're gonna have babby in the same room as you for the first 6 months (or that's what they recommend here anyway), in our case in a cot alongside the bed and that was fine as she could just be slid over into it when she was asleep after feeding.

now she's in a separate room with a monitor and the waking is v. variable.

what I'd say is that as a father, you're gonna have points where you resent getting up early to look after them in the morning on a weekend or similar because you've probably been getting up for work all week etc. But your wife will death stare you if you complain because she is doing that every day during the week, so think about that first. Doesn't make it easier (I am the opposite of a morning person, family failing), you'll find a balance though.

also you can sleep during the day and it's fine! I have fallen asleep on the floor a few times and that hasn't happened for a long time and not without huge quantities of alcohol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh also it should go without saying that they're all different and you have little, if any, control or input into things like sleep. one friend thought she was super mum because her first was a perfect sleeper, then the second came along and oops, turns out it's luck of the draw!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

oh also it should go without saying that they're all different and you have little, if any, control or input into things like sleep. one friend thought she was super mum because her first was a perfect sleeper, then the second came along and oops, turns out it's luck of the draw!

What's the return process like if you don't gel with their style? I've returned like half a dozen dogs to the shelter for stuff like this (too energetic, needing too many walks, etc), is it much different with a kid?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

suffix posted:

I got owned once they snapped around to waking up 6 am
wish i got owned like that for ours JFC

shoeberto posted:

What's the return process like if you don't gel with their style? I've returned like half a dozen dogs to the shelter for stuff like this (too energetic, needing too many walks, etc), is it much different with a kid?
don't do that here, pls

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

right now we’re both waking up with her which isn’t great, but hopefully babby will sort her poo poo out with nursing so mom can just breastfeed rather than have me bottle feed while she pumps overnight

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

are your parents sending you coffee or energy drinks yet

my dad seemed a little too gleeful with the “your turn now!!!” stuff

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

are your parents sending you coffee or energy drinks yet

no, I don’t really have a great relationship with my family. MIL is in town helping out for now and it’s not too terrible though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

lol. same.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my circadian rhythm's only just starting to get back to what it was in the before times.

speaking of dogs, when i was looking up breeds trying to decide what kind of dog would be a good match for us, i naturally had to wade through all these posts about "you have to understand what a big change getting a dog will be", and "i couldn't believe how much of my time was taken up by the dog", and i'm just reading these things chuckling like, "lmao, fukin nubs"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

also you can sleep during the day and it's fine! I have fallen asleep on the floor a few times and that hasn't happened for a long time and not without huge quantities of alcohol

my girls absolutely love waking up daddy, it is one of their all-time favorite things

if it's my turn to sleep in, or even if they notice me falling asleep on the couch, they won't hesitate to climb all over me, with the 1.5 year old shrieking her head off with glee at the command of "let's go wake up daddy"

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Stringent posted:

speaking of dogs, when i was looking up breeds trying to decide what kind of dog would be a good match for us, i naturally had to wade through all these posts about "you have to understand what a big change getting a dog will be", and "i couldn't believe how much of my time was taken up by the dog", and i'm just reading these things chuckling like, "lmao, fukin nubs"
I don't know if we just got particularly lucky with especially lazy dogs, but both of mine just sleep like 20 hours a day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my girls absolutely love waking up daddy, it is one of their all-time favorite things

if it's my turn to sleep in, or even if they notice me falling asleep on the couch, they won't hesitate to climb all over me, with the 1.5 year old shrieking her head off with glee at the command of "let's go wake up daddy"

ah so cats were a good warm up

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i recommend the interactive educational product “don’t wake daddy”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

i recommend the interactive educational product “don’t wake daddy”
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

LMFAO