Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This image was recently released and you’ll notice the left side seems to be conspicuously covered up so I wonder if that means anything (a possible sixth member or at least some new ally character perhaps)?

Cure LaMer did debut in episode 17 after and we’ve still got at least 27-28 more to go at this point so I assume anything’s still possible.

Of course, it could also be a promotion for the movie which could possibly be another crossover like the Healin Good one was (there’s enough space in the blank spots for more than one character after all)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe some of the villains might defect, since they seem a rather unmotivated lot

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh I’m almost positive a few of the villains will wind up jumping ship by the end. Hell, maybe all they need is someone to acknowledge them (like maybe Manatsu winds up getting a chance to try some of Chongire’s cooking and compliments him on it).

Off the subject, here’s a great little fan animation I found:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=X9MbN3ksBA0

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks episode - Elda very much has a bit of Chris Yukine in her!

Also I'm 100% sure all of the generals except the Butler will change sides in the end. On the scale of evil generals they're very much on the low end of evil

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This weeks episode - Elda very much has a bit of Chris Yukine in her!

Also I'm 100% sure all of the generals except the Butler will change sides in the end. On the scale of evil generals they're very much on the low end of evil

I haven’t watched it yet but did they update the OP at all?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

I haven’t watched it yet but did they update the OP at all?

Nope looks like it's going to be even lazier OP than Fresh!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nope looks like it's going to be even lazier OP than Fresh!

Huh, weird. I could have sworn Hibiki posted something on Twitter saying the new OP was going to premiere this week. Especially since they changed the ED in the same episode that LaMer debuted in.

Edit: Found the tweet I was thinking of:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1409053561036578816

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched it, that was a cute episode. Manatsu's frightened of ghosts, but Elda (who crash landed into an old mansion at the start of the episode) makes Manatsu believe she's a haunted doll, and very nearly befriends her.

It shows that Elda just wants friends, and since she's got a kid's mind, she's not really evil (which just leads further credence to my theory that the generals aside from maybe Butler will all wind up switching sides before the series is over). A really nice one-off story, and it had some great faces from Manatsu when she was scared.

We also got the first group transformation with LaMer (they just add “Nails” to the list of Charm Points and leave the rest as is).

Off the subject, I just learned there’s an official English version of HeartCatch’s second ED:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vqP9nSeiaGs

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note I like how the main generals kind of act like a family and genuinely seem to care about one another, which is why I’m basically convinced at this point that those three will wind up jumping ship and joining forces with the Precure later in the series.

Especially considering the fact that Butler is constantly gaslighting them and I’m not even sure they know WHY they’re suddenly having to go out and collect motivation power instead of doing the jobs they were hired for.

It’s also nice to see another side of Elda’s personality, she’s a bit selfish to be fair but she’s also just a little kid that wants attention/love.

I honestly would not be surprised if the accidental connection she made with Manatsu in this episode comes back into play later on (especially since she basically saved the Precure by faking a tantrum so Chongire would call off the attack and the three of them could leave)

Also apparently they did change the opening song a little but still haven’t updated the visuals yet for whatever reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cure Twinkle’s VA has been diagnosed with Covid:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-07-07/voice-actress-hibiku-yamamura-diagnosed-with-covid-19/.174906

So far her only symptom is a loss of smell so hopefully she’ll pull through though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Tropical Rouge movie will be a crossover with HeartCatch:

I was actually sort of expecting Smile to be honest but this works too (I wonder if that means we’ll eventually be getting an in-series crossover episode to promote it)

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me what the movie is called (assuming there’s a title on that poster and not just “The Movie”)?

Edit: Apparently it’s called “The Snow Princess and The Ring of Miracles!”

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 13, 2021

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Heartcatch!!!! gently caress yeah, baby. Amazing content, 10/10.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A meeting between Erika and Laura sounds like it has a lot of comedy potential (also I want to see Yuri and Asuka kicking rear end together).

Interesting thing of note: back in episode 6 Minori was reading a book called “The Princess of the Snow Country: The Secret of the Ring". Both the book and the movie not only have a similar title but the director of the Tropical Rouge movie also directed that particular episode.

I wonder if it’s just a coincidence or if there’s some connection between the two. If so, I imagine the plot involves either the girls being sucked into a book or the characters from the book somehow being brought into the real world.

Also from what I’m hearing, not only does the Yes 5 team spend the entire Healin Good movie transformed but there isn’t a whole lot in the way of interaction between the two groups either. Hopefully this movie will be an improvement in that regard

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Erika/Laura sells me alone on the movie

Also maybe this time they'll get Nana Mizuki to sing the theme!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we have a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pOf2dNnoPEo

This already seems like more of a proper teamup than the Healin Good/Yes 5 one was from what I’ve heard (and as I expected, Erika and Laura appear to be getting along like a house on fire)

Princess Sharon will be voiced by Marika Matsumoto

So for anyone who understands Japanese, did the trailer (or any other source for that matter) provide us with any plot details?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 13, 2021

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
my understanding: The cast (presumably through Laura) are invited to the Snow Kingdom for Queen Sharon's coronation. She and Laura had earlier exchanged vows to be slay queens together—Laura got a ring from the snow princess, presumably new toy thing(flashback). Cures are attacked and trapped in the kingdom by mysterious monsters. Precure have to save the frozen kingdom. Erika.

A good guess as to the plot you could extrapolate there is that the monsters come from the kingdom and the queen is wrapped up in something bad which is why the cures are 'trapped' in the kingdom. Her staff glows with the same hue as the jewels on the monsters' heads. There's also short comments by Sharon's seiyuu and the movie director that imply she's in a complicated situation so that would track.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense, I’m guessing we’ll be getting some sort of tie-in episode in the series later on that may help set things up a bit more.

Also apparently Yoshimi Narita is part of the writing staff this time, there’s plenty of interaction between the two groups, and Erika and Laura appear to have some kind of rivalry going on (which should be hilarious to see).

So yeah, at the moment I’ve got a good feeling about this one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 14, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I just hope the ice stadium fight has as cool rock as the Shiva fight in FFXIV

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The official plot summary just went up on the website (along with a few other pages). Here’s a rough translation I got from elsewhere:

“I'm Natsuumi Manatsu! One day, we received an amazing invitation from the Land of Snow, Shantia! They're holding a ceremony to celebrate Sharon becoming the new queen!

We all depart to the sparkling world of snow♪ Woah, it's tropica-shining~!

Laura, who wants to be the queen of the Mermaid Kingdom, has befriended Sharon who gave her a beautiful ring. But just as they decide to keep a promise, a mysterious monster suddenly appears and locks everyone inside of the kingdom.

When it seems like all hope is lost, the "Heartcatch Pretty Cure!" team rush in and give us all a boost of motivation! And when our feelings become one, the ring transforms into the Snow Heartful Ring...!?

C'mon, let's go! Let's tropica-shine through this frozen world!”

https://2021.precure-movie.com/story.html

Also neat thing of note: The story revolves around a winter themed kingdom, HeartCatch has a spring motif, Tropical Rouge has a summer motif, and the movie is being released this fall.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 14, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Only took till episode 21 for Lara and Manatsu to share a bed!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like that we’re heading back to Manatsu’s home island (there’s been a peculiar lack of dads in this season so far) and it feels like that cave she mentioned is going to be something important.

This is the last one before the Olympics break right? Though apparently it won’t be that long since according to the guide the next episode will air on August 1st (that could possibly change of course)

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I don't know if it's just me but every time I see Kururun on screen my brain just turns to happy mush.

Kururun is the most adorable little fairy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agreed on Kururun, and personally I kind of hope she just stays a glorified Pokemon the whole season as opposed to gaining the ability to talk later like Fuwa did in Star Twinkle

Also it seems Laura may be getting a new powerup next time (I believe she’s wearing the same bracelet we see at the end of the preview that she is in the recent poster for the series movie)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems we’re getting Laura’s bubble gun soon along with a third version of the Yaraneeda:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1417351306247741440

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like the naming scheme for the Yaraneeda.

Yaraneeda pretty much means "Don't want to do anything."
Zenzen Yaraneeda goes to "Don't want to do anything at all."
Zettai Yaraneeda would mean "Absolutely don't want to do anything."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also a raw of the Healin Good movie is now out in the wild so I imagine it won’t be too much longer until someone subs it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot revealed a new key visual showing off the whole team, along with a short promo with voice samples for the new cast.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rvop1bodI9U

Speaking of, is the original show any good? I’ve heard mixed reviews

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't remember much about it TBH, it seemed okay but nothing that stood out. And the fact it's a bit of bog standard magical girl show means it got overshadowed soon after by the 2004 shows (Precure for Kids and Nanoha for the Otaku)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

On another note, the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot revealed a new key visual showing off the whole team, along with a short promo with voice samples for the new cast.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rvop1bodI9U

Speaking of, is the original show any good? I’ve heard mixed reviews

Mixed reviews are appropriate because it's a pretty mixed show. SatoshiMiwa has the right of it though, AFAIK it came out at exactly the right time to be lost in the shuffle. It's not as consistently on as a good season of precure, it doesn't have the flash and style of Nanoha or Symphogear, the cast and world don't shine like CCS, and the writing is nowhere near Ojamajo Doremi or Princess Tutu. It was very much positioned as an also ran to Sailor Moon, and not even Sailor Moon was consistently good Sailor Moon.

It's not like it's unwatchable or anything, though, it just didn't really excel. On the other hand, I'm not surprised it's getting a remake, it did manage to land a chunk of the market share back in its day and we are about a generation off so it's now officially a nostalgic property.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the Healin Good movie has been subbed by someone called Serenae. Haven’t gotten a chance to watch it yet though

Also reminder that there’s no Tropical Rouge episode this week.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

In other news, the Healin Good movie has been subbed by someone called Serenae. Haven’t gotten a chance to watch it yet though

Also reminder that there’s no Tropical Rouge episode this week.

Just watched it, the action and story were decent but there could have been a bit more interaction between the Healin Good and Yes 5 teams and we only see the latter untransformed briefly at the very end (though there is a neat scene at the beginning where Milk briefly shifts back into fairy form to avoid an attack).

Also the main villain is voiced by Bunbee and even the man himself makes a cameo at one point.

Grace’s final form at the end felt a bit tacked on to me but otherwise it was pretty good honestly (and from the trailer alone I can already tell the Tropical Rouge movie will be a lot better in terms of crossover content)

Also it seems the movie may take place post-Healin Good as there’s a clipshow during the credits that includes scenes from the last few episodes.

The Tropical Rouge short at the end was fun as well (there was even a bit of combat at the beginning and this is apparently where that shot from the initial TR trailer of Manatsu riding Laura through the water came from)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 23, 2021

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Mahou Shoujo brainrot syndrome. It's terminal.
This show came out a while back so it's not any real fresh input, but I just finished Moetan after being recommended it for some odd years. I've honestly never been as underwhelmed with an extremely lame gimmick show as much as I had this one, it left the worst taste in my mouth that I'm still trying to get out.
Have any of you had any similar experiences with a mahou shoujo lately? Just anything you felt wasted your time?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I've avoided most of the bad edgy shows...but that's cause I actually ended up watching all of Magical Girl Raising Project and yeah...it's the worst

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Mahou Shoujo brainrot syndrome. It's terminal.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I've avoided most of the bad edgy shows...but that's cause I actually ended up watching all of Magical Girl Raising Project and yeah...it's the worst
Good lord, I'm surprised you actually got through it. I don't think there's any trend in anime I hate more than the "it's THIS, but it's DARK AND SCAWWY!", and the magical girl genre probably got hit the hardest with that (luckily most iterations of it were left as manga and never animated). It's like the animation equivalent of those avatars teenage girls used on MySpace where it's some cartoon character but edited to be goth or whatever. Like, some people can't just make a Pretty Cure anymore, they gotta make a Pretty Cure but there's BLOOD and SUICIDE and GUTS SPILLIN' EVERYWHERE! The joke was tired day one, man!

That whole rant could go on for ages but I'll leave it there. Y'know, Ojamajo Doremi was able to pull off handling darker and sadder messages with wayyy more nuance and depth than MGRP ever could've done. Doremi's so good, you guys...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Popputan posted:

Good lord, I'm surprised you actually got through it. I don't think there's any trend in anime I hate more than the "it's THIS, but it's DARK AND SCAWWY!", and the magical girl genre probably got hit the hardest with that (luckily most iterations of it were left as manga and never animated). It's like the animation equivalent of those avatars teenage girls used on MySpace where it's some cartoon character but edited to be goth or whatever. Like, some people can't just make a Pretty Cure anymore, they gotta make a Pretty Cure but there's BLOOD and SUICIDE and GUTS SPILLIN' EVERYWHERE! The joke was tired day one, man!

That whole rant could go on for ages but I'll leave it there. Y'know, Ojamajo Doremi was able to pull off handling darker and sadder messages with wayyy more nuance and depth than MGRP ever could've done. Doremi's so good, you guys...

I blame people watching Madoka and not understanding what made it good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Madoka, Magia Record Season 2 premieres this Saturday

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also in regards to the Healin Good movie there was apparently an audio drama that also released alongside it which explained a bit more about what the Yes 5 crew was doing during the film.

Plot summary courtesy of someone on Reddit:

quote:

The Yes girls came to support Urara in the Tokyo Girls Collection show, then they went to buy cream puffs, and bumped into Bunbee. That was when Egoego attacked so they hurried over to the Healin Good girls (they knew of their existence from Hana. Yes, Nono Hana.)

Then Nozomi went to chase Egoego right? Turns out the monster was leading them on a chase to exhaust them and then capture their dream flowers. The chase ended in a park, and Nozomi willingly gave up their flowers if Egoego promised to return everyone else's flowers

Kind of feels like stuff that should have been in the movie itself honestly.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 28, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its probably stuff that was in the original script but got cut from the movie for time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

its probably stuff that was in the original script but got cut from the movie for time.

That’d make sense (reportedly one of the cut Healin Good episodes was a tie-in with said movie as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone’s interested, Magia Record is back with the first episode of its second season

It’s a good start too and is entirely focused on the Madoka Magica cast interestingly enough

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 31, 2021