Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I went over the video and catalogued all of the "Flame Sword Alterations" I could see.

Rising Wyvern -> Rising Phoenix
Lightning Thrust -> Rising Phoenix
Swallow Blade -> Infernal Torrent
Demon Fang -> Explosive Ring
Dragon Swarm -> Explosive Ring
Sword Rain: Alpha -> Rending Flash
Double Demon Fang -> Incineration Wave

We haven't seen how aerial Artes are altered, but we do have solid confirmation that Alphen has "Neppa Senpuujin" (aka Searing Gale), which is probably the altered version of Severing Wind, and Rising Falcon probably also becomes Rising Phoenix because that's happened before via Altered Artes.

We also now confirm that not every Arte of Alphen's has a unique altered version-some are shared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I love how Alphen's starting sword in the demo footage is called Sincleaver

that's so metal

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

A hoonter must hoont.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you think that Shionne using fire magic is connected to the flame sword?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sorry to double post, but Siliconera did a thing on Kisara, talking about her mechanics.

https://www.siliconera.com/preview-kisara-feels-like-an-unbreakable-tank-in-tales-of-arise/

She's got Guardian Field, which can heal, like usual, and they don't mention it using the healing gauge? Which could be really useful.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Looks like they're posting character profiles now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmN9S3iCU7E

She looks so cool and insanely fun to play!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The kicks and the close burst are really cool and I'm a sucker for swarms of homing missiles. I wonder how many grenade artes she gets in total?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am very amused that they're doing a Pretty Woman style 'oh wow the beautiful woman is in pretty clothes and turns out to be really beautiful now' reveal while Alphen is still wearing the full-face mask. It just looks very silly.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UxrfFmWIvY

Dohalim x Rinwell and Dohalim x Law combo attacks.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Wonder how many times the staff can extend when you dodge, I wanna be able to twirl the staff and hit everyone on the field.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Still can't believe a new tales is coming out in a little over two months

Berseria was almost five whole years ago...

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Anyone get Scarlet Nexus? Any good? Or is there a seperate thread for that?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

BrightWing posted:

Or is there a seperate thread for that?

Yes.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Ah, thank you

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Side note: Zephyr is a lot more scarred than I initially thought. Looking at it, it's almost as if part of the left side of his face was flensed off, most likely in combat. And yet, despite putting her in a cage (which might actually have been done on her request/precaution considering her curse), he doesn't cross the line in treating Shionne with disgust.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm still really curious how far they're going to go with "what if resent Renans but too much." We know Rinwell has a chip on her shoulder about Shionne, and Dohalim and Kisara(?) believe in the possibility of equality. What's the world going to look like when our heroes are done with it, and how is it going to get there?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGOuGUG0XRM

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looks like we will be getting more stuff in two days. Kiara from Hololive has been chosen to show it off.

https://twitter.com/takanashikiara/status/1411323854467731462

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'exclusive' is kinda weird, but she just paid 600 dollars to play tales of hearts r so i guess she's more powerful than i am.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

h-how?

even if one were to jump on like a sealed physical copy and a complete vita tv it doesn't go that amount

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What about an actual Vita

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What about an actual Vita

i was going with what i thought was the most expensive option. did vitas really jump that much?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently not lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

i was going with what i thought was the most expensive option. did vitas really jump that much?
well i can find boxed ones for 600 even though most are around 200, and never underestimate peoples ability to click the first thing they see

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://twitter.com/TalesofU/status...mber%3D1019pti8

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm looking for suggestions on how(or if) I can enjoy this series.

I bounced off this series pretty hard in the PS1 days and decided to try it again. I'm playing Tales of Berseria, and I'm a modest way through(got to the capital). I've not lost a single battle.

I'm playing on normal mode, and all I do is set every character to auto, and let it go. I win every fight easily. I haven't had to limit certain artes or change much of strategy. My guys just win every time with ease.

I find the battle system too involved to actually control it myself, as I don't want to set and memorize a bunch of inputs for 6 characters, so I'm fine with auto everything. I mostly liked FF12; where I could set up some actions, interfere when needed, and tweak as necessary. This is different though. In Tales of Berseria, I can just set everything to auto, and just go. All I do is change out equipment when they master it. I've not yet needed to buy a piece of equipment, or dismantle equipment, or anything that needs any thought.

Does the game get to the point where I'll need to do anything? I'm fine(and would like) having to manage certain artes and equipment for certain areas or battles, but so far all I've had to do is walk to the next area and let the game play itself on default.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm looking for suggestions on how(or if) I can enjoy this series.

I bounced off this series pretty hard in the PS1 days and decided to try it again. I'm playing Tales of Berseria, and I'm a modest way through(got to the capital). I've not lost a single battle.

I'm playing on normal mode, and all I do is set every character to auto, and let it go. I win every fight easily. I haven't had to limit certain artes or change much of strategy. My guys just win every time with ease.

I find the battle system too involved to actually control it myself, as I don't want to set and memorize a bunch of inputs for 6 characters, so I'm fine with auto everything. I mostly liked FF12; where I could set up some actions, interfere when needed, and tweak as necessary. This is different though. In Tales of Berseria, I can just set everything to auto, and just go. All I do is change out equipment when they master it. I've not yet needed to buy a piece of equipment, or dismantle equipment, or anything that needs any thought.

Does the game get to the point where I'll need to do anything? I'm fine(and would like) having to manage certain artes and equipment for certain areas or battles, but so far all I've had to do is walk to the next area and let the game play itself on default.

I mean most of the fun of the game (imo) is picking a character and going HAM with them, and that's why I enjoy the series. If you focus on just one character to learn and just put everything else out of your head it may help.

I never even thought of playing it fully auto, but I could see that maybe being fun now and then for grinding, but not engaging in the battles manually at all seems like it would lead to boredom pretty fast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I find the battle system too involved to actually control it myself, as I don't want to set and memorize a bunch of inputs for 6 characters
you... don't? You can just control one character.

Normal in Berseria is also pretty easy.

Like this isn't FF12 you aren't meant to set everyone to auto.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you, don't have to memorize inputs. berseria's combat system isn't built to be complicated or difficult, it's working with one of the rougher combat systems in the series as a base and didn't have time or resources to rework it into something more polished and in-depth so most of what it does is just build itself to make mashing buttons feel good and not much else, it's kinda bad at explaining its mechanics but all you really do is press buttons to do cool attacks. there's not much point to the combat in the series in general if you don't want to actively engage with controlling characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the inputs are just the face buttons, yeah. the fun is in picking a character and figuring out combos with them. it isn't fighting game inputs.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

But why manually use any character if you can win every battle with default settings on auto? I can see the fun in learning a character, and maybe ending battles faster, but why even bother with that if you can just set it to auto and do your taxes while they fight?

What is the purpose of learning anything if the AI accomplishes the same results as you with no input from the player? What have you really accomplished by taking control of something that was going to complete your goal with no input from you either way?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cause i dont play jrpgs to have them on in the background while i do taxes

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, I guess that’s kinda true but AI Velvet is actually kinda bad cause ally AI in general isn’t quite as aggressive as a player would be which pairs poorly with Consume Claw. But yeah, higher difficulties are actually a thing with benefits for the player so if your issue is that the combat is superfluous rather than bad that might get fixed soon.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Colonel posted:

cause i dont play jrpgs to have them on in the background while i do taxes

My point is that you don't have to "play" this one at all. The game will win itself if you just point your character in the direction of the opponent.

It's a mobile phone game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But why manually use any character if you can win every battle with default settings on auto? I can see the fun in learning a character, and maybe ending battles faster, but why even bother with that if you can just set it to auto and do your taxes while they fight?

What is the purpose of learning anything if the AI accomplishes the same results as you with no input from the player? What have you really accomplished by taking control of something that was going to complete your goal with no input from you either way?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, I guess that’s kinda true but AI Velvet is actually kinda bad cause ally AI in general isn’t quite as aggressive as a player would be which pairs poorly with Consume Claw. But yeah, higher difficulties are actually a thing with benefits for the player so if your issue is that the combat is superfluous rather than bad that might get fixed soon.

"Get fixed soon" meaning Arise looks a bit better in this respect?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

My point is that you don't have to "play" this one at all. The game will win itself if you just point your character in the direction of the opponent.

It's a mobile phone game.

i think you have the wrong game, tales of the rays is over that way

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Your complaint about the game being too easy, yet you play on normal and admit you don't want to learn the mechanics?

Do you see the correlation here

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tae posted:

Your complaint about the game being too easy, yet you play on normal and admit you don't want to learn the mechanics?

Do you see the correlation here

Isn't normal how the default experience?

I stopped learning the mechanics because they don't do anything, I was learning the mechanics for the first few hours until I learned there was a win button in setting the game to auto. If mechanics can be ignored then are they really mechanics at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I’m sure that Arise will still be completable by setting the entire party to auto on normal or whatever.

But also that’s what that’s for. Like if you don’t feel like engaging in combat and just want Tales’ story beats you can just always set the entire party to auto and if you’re enjoying playing this way, go on ahead and keep auto battling.