Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Monoclinic posted:

Hi all, I mostly lurk and haven't posted since....the last horror thread, but this is one of the better threads on the forum imo!

I've watched barely any horror films for years but am a fan in general. The last big ones I remember are the Babadook and It Follows, which are from 2014 apparently.

What would a few of your must-watch movies be, from then to now?

the big namedrops would be Hereditary, Get Out, Mandy and The Lighthouse i think

but depends what sort of spookadoodles you want, there have been a lot of horror movies in the last little while

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Possessor, Host (2020), The Witch, Green Room, The Lure, The Neon Demon, Raw, Get Out, Us, The Ritual, One Cut of the Dead, Suspiria, The Clovehitch Killer, Halloween 2018, Hereditary, Midsommar, Knife + Heart, Ready or Not

Those are all 2015 or later and are good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Monoclinic posted:

Hi all, I mostly lurk and haven't posted since....the last horror thread, but this is one of the better threads on the forum imo!

I've watched barely any horror films for years but am a fan in general. The last big ones I remember are the Babadook and It Follows, which are from 2014 apparently.

Knife+Heart, Halloween 2018, Saint Maud, The Wind, Luz, The Endless (if you can, watch Resolution first), Skull: The Mask, Relic, New Suspiria, Bacurau...Lots I've forgotten in there but those sprang immediately to mind.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Monoclinic posted:

The Witch
The Invitation
Green Room
Don't Breathe
Train to Busain
Hush
The Girl with All the Gifts
Get Out
Happy Death Day
A Quiet Place
Halloween
Hereditary
The First Purge
The Clovehitch Killer
Us
3 From Hell
Color Out of Space
Doctor Sleep
Freaky
Underwater

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Skull: The Mask

:yeah:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Monoclinic posted:

Zombie Horror Picture Show
3 From Hell

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Monoclinic posted:

Straight from my top ranked horrors on Criticker, filtering for 2015 onward :

Raw (2017)
Get Out (2017)
The Witch (2016)
One cut of the Dead (2017)
Annihilation (2018)
La Casa Lobo (2018)
The House That Jack Built (2018)
I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
The Lighthouse (2019)
Midsommar (2019)
The Neon Demon (2016)
Revenge (2017)
Saint Maud (2020)
The Wailing (2016)
We Are the Flesh (2016)
Hereditary (2018)
Relic (2020)
Us (2019)
Green Room (2016)
Climax (2018)
The Endless (2017)
Freaky (2020)
His House (2020)
The Invisible Man (2020)
Shin Godzilla (2016)
The Lodge (2020)
Mandy (2018)
The Devil's Candy (2015)
The Invitation (2015)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tarnop posted:

Straight from my top ranked horrors on Criticker, filtering for 2015 onward :

Raw (2017)
Get Out (2017)
The Witch (2016)
One cut of the Dead (2017)
Annihilation (2018)
La Casa Lobo (2018)
The House That Jack Built (2018)
I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
The Lighthouse (2019)
Midsommar (2019)
The Neon Demon (2016)
Revenge (2017)
Saint Maud (2020)
The Wailing (2016)
We Are the Flesh (2016)
Hereditary (2018)
Relic (2020)
Us (2019)
Green Room (2016)
Climax (2018)
The Endless (2017)
Freaky (2020)
His House (2020)
The Invisible Man (2020)
Shin Godzilla (2016)
The Lodge (2020)
Mandy (2018)
The Devil's Candy (2015)
The Invitation (2015)

this is a good-rear end list that I fully endorse, the only one I haven’t seen The House that Jack Built so I’ll have to fix that soon

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

The Endless (2017)
If you watch The Endless watch Resolution (2012) first. Its not a direct sequel but its worth it. And Resolution is also great.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Uncle Sam was... weird. Like there's a good idea in there, but it's certainly no Maniac Cop. But then again what is?

I probably would've loved it if I rented it as a kid.

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

Wow, thank you everyone so far. Another reason this is a great thread, a ton of recs within minutes!

I should have mentioned I have seen The Lighthouse (2019) very recently and enjoyed it. Went in blind just knowing it was black and white and spooky. It had more humour than I was expecting, and the visuals were great. I will definitely check out The Witch by the same director.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Seconding House That Jack Built its wicked good

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The House that Jacked Built is kind of a bummer of a horror recommendation. Its such a dark comedy. It's a good film but I found it too depressing and dark to really enjoy. Its got its moments though and its got a pitch black sense of humor to it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think if they enjoyed the Lighthouse theres a decent chance theyll dig HtJB

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The House That Jack Built is a good movie, but I don't know that I'd ever watch it again. I guess you could say the same about literally any given Lars Von Trier movie. You watch it, you "get" it, and then you're left with an experience you're not going to forget any time soon. And then you never want to sit through it again.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hollismason posted:

The House that Jacked Built is kind of a bummer of a horror recommendation. Its such a dark comedy. It's a good film but I found it too depressing and dark to really enjoy. Its got its moments though and its got a pitch black sense of humor to it.

This is absolutely true and a reasonable warning. The film aligns well with my tastes but if you're not into stuff like Henry, Man Bites Dog and Angst then it might not be for you.

E:

King Vidiot posted:

The House That Jack Built is a good movie, but I don't know that I'd ever watch it again. I guess you could say the same about literally any given Lars Von Trier movie. You watch it, you "get" it, and then you're left with an experience you're not going to forget any time soon. And then you never want to sit through it again.

I've watched it three times, send help

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

Tarnop posted:

This is absolutely true and a reasonable warning. The film aligns well with my tastes but if you're not into stuff like Henry, Man Bites Dog and Angst then it might not be for you.

E:

I've seen a few movies that I really didn't enjoy due to content/themes. One I can think of is Last House on the Left. I don't recall it being particularly gory or anything but due to the events in the film I just felt gross watching it and didn't enjoy it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tarnop posted:

E:

I've seen Henry a couple of times and Man Bites Dogs a few times, and I'd even be willing to rewatch Angst. I kinda think I'd be up for rewatching HTJB, I just watched it like literally within a month after a family member died so I was already emotionally raw and then the poo poo in that movie just kinda got under my skin. I totally get really pitch-black, bleak comedy but some of the visuals in HTJB are just kinda loving intense if you're not in the right mindset.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I Saw The Devil would make a good double feature with House That Jack Built

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Monoclinic posted:

Others have pointed out a lot of good ones. Here are some others, in no order.

Wildling (2018)
Butterfly Kisses (2018)
The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)
We Are Still Here (2015)
The Invitation (2015)
Be My Cat (2015)
Baskin (2016)
Unsane (2018)
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
Better Watch Out (2017)
The Devil's Candy (2017)
Cam (2018)
Possessor (2020)
Belzebuth (2019)
Climax (2019)
The Perfection (2019)
Summer of '84 (2018)
The Ritual (2018)
Becky (2020)
The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015)
A Dark Song (2017)
Pyewacket (2018)
Siren (2016)
Digging up the Marrow (2014)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

I Saw The Devil would make a good double feature with House That Jack Built

gently caress yeah :hfive:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I feel like a real dumbass for leaving Devil's Candy off my admittedly short list. Instant loving classic, right there. I swear to god I will donate whatever Sean Byrne wants to a Kickstarter to get him to make another movie. The guy's made two films and they're pretty close to my #1 and #2 horrors of the last two decades.

e: apparently he's got some stuff on the go

quote:

What are you currently working on?
I have three films in development: a contained action movie in the Die Hard mould; a small-town slasher with social/political undertones that sits somewhere between Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre; and a serial killer thriller about the dangers of the modern dating scene, which was scheduled to shoot mid- to late 2020, at least before COVID-19 turned the world upside down.

https://www.sbs.com.au/movies/article/2020/04/27/five-faves-sean-byrne-picks-what-watch-isolation

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 5, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I also wasn't a fan of how long The House That Jack Built was. It seemed unneccessarily long. Like there's a good 100 minute movie in there. At 2 and half hours it just gets kind of exhausting.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm usually the first person to get critical about a film going too long but in the case of HTJB the self-indulgence felt like part of the point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I overall thought it was a interesting movie it was just to long at the 2 and half hour mark.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I felt it was a little on the long side (I've only seen the director's cut) but for how dark it was, I laughed so loving hard at that ending.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Now I have this stuck in my head

https://youtu.be/Ypgq0qdgVZA

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

drat, I realized I left out some of my favorite recent Spanish language horror movies.

Veronica
The Influence
La Gravedad de Pugil
Still Life

If you're into more out there stuff, there's also We Are The Flesh, but that may not be everybody's speed.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Vivarium was good as well imo

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

The House That Jack Built was originally conceived to be a tv series, so that might go some way to explaining its length.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Monoclinic posted:

Wow, thank you everyone so far. Another reason this is a great thread, a ton of recs within minutes!

I should have mentioned I have seen The Lighthouse (2019) very recently and enjoyed it. Went in blind just knowing it was black and white and spooky. It had more humour than I was expecting, and the visuals were great. I will definitely check out The Witch by the same director.

Please do let us know what you think after watching them. If there's one thing that unites this thread it's the vicarious joy of someone seeing a film we love for the first time

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I admit it's not for all tastes and my admiration for it is in excess of the general consensus but i'm still surprised to see nobody else listing A Cure for Wellness

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Likewise: Alien Covenant.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Fear Street was pretty alright. Not sure I was expecting a movie version of Dead by Daylight, but I can dig it. I kinda wish it wasn't doing a big, grand story and it was just an anthology series, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Roth posted:

I kinda wish it wasn't doing a big, grand story and it was just an anthology series, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

There hasn't seemed to be many anthologies lately in general. Most recent one I remember is Mortuary Collection which was very good.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Everyone!! Hello!! I like UFOs and aliens are there any good scary movies about this that you like! Also I’m gay and not a weird bigot

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

endocriminologist posted:

Everyone!! Hello!! I like UFOs and aliens are there any good scary movies about this that you like! Also I’m gay and not a weird bigot

I just saw Communion is on Amazon Prime (US) so your homework is to go watch it for Walkens bonkers performance.

If you can find Fire in the Sky add it to the double feature.

Paging SMG to tell this poster which version of the McPherson Tapes to watch.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 5, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

endocriminologist posted:

There's a lot out there I still haven't seen mostly because the trailers looked really bad but I can try and help you out with what I know of!

There is of course the first Alien movie which is a classic and still strikes hard at the right spots especially if you watch it with a sound system or headphones.

Communion can be scary but really it's more offbeat than anything else. It's definitely worth watching for the Christopher Walken performance, though.

Another classic is Fire in the Sky, still holds up pretty well due the practical effects and the atmosphere is very much scary.

If you're into found footage stuff there's UFO Abduction/the McPhereson tape as well as the remake Incident in Lake County. Each were helmed by the same person (Dean Alioto) who sought to make a realistic portrayal of an alien abduction and honestly I like the remake more but both are fascinating both in the scenes and behind.

The Fourth Kind gets a bad rap mainly because of the marketing stunt they tried pulling with trying to set it up as Real Events, followed by the "crime" of never actually showing the aliens, but you know what? It didn't need to because they pulled it off and made a hella scary film using flashbacks and a possessed sounding tape recorder. It's not a traditional take on an alien abduction film even though it certainly goes through the tropes, but I like it for that and I think it still stands out. Owls creep me out now!

Dark Skies (2013) Does some neat stuff with an alien abduction premise by trying to pass it off as more of a traditional supernatural "ghosts did it" setup. The aliens in this are CG and their proportions look a bit weird but honestly if you can get around that it's pretty unsettling as is the whole film and I like it for that. There is this kind of sense of dread about halfway through as they're talking to a character portrayed by JK simmons where I remember the first time I watched just thinking "oh they're all fuuuucked". It's probably not considered a great one of these movies or anything but I enjoyed it enough.

I also liked Alien Abduction (2014), I think it tries a bit too hard at times with the script and the cast performances but it serves well as a sort of modernized update to the previously mentioned UFO Abduction/McPhereson Tape. Tells a different story of course but overall I remember the tunnel scene being appropriately suspensful.

If you're into Area 51 stuff I think the 2015 movie of the same name is worth a watch. Directed by Oren Peli of the original Paranormal Activity, it is certainly more active than the aforementioned debut and has some pretty spooky parts. The first half is just this kind of heist-op setup for getting into the base that I really like, probably because I like heist flicks. The second part brings the scary and then it kind of falls apart? Fair warning.

The final film I can think of that I consider good and scary movies about aliens, to wrap this back around to the first film mentioned, is Life (2017). In a sense it is very much a retread of Alien if you go specifically by general plot beats save the ending, but what's on display here is an interesting take on the survival instinct of the alien versus the crew. They nailed the ending on this one and I still think about it from time to time.

There's definitely more but I'm forgetting some and also there's a lot I haven't seen still!

edit: bonus "technically?" film about aliens : the Phantasm movies

There was also "The Signal" which wasn't really scary but very very weird

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Vast Of Night is a really breezy and unique recent take on alien lore, worth a go

classics-wise my favourite alien invasion film is the 70s Invasion of the Body Snatchers. but there's nothing ufo related in it

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 5, 2021