Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
We've tried negotiating with our company about trying 4x12h shifts, DD-NN----- rotation, unsurprisingly they have not been huge fans of the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Honestly, I really enjoy my work, I just hate my job. I work EHS, where I solve fun and interesting problems wherever they pop up and take over emergency situations. The 2 hours a day with nothing to do are the worst parts of my work week. Not because I feel guilty that I’m not making value for an overvalued hell company, but because I’m bored. I don’t even have to be here,I own a small business that does very well for me and lets me pay the hell out of my employees, I just have long term goals to get to solve even more fun and interesting problems.

loving A I miss construction safety.

E: hell, I used to have nothing to do working nights for a giant construction company but they knew that and let me bring my Switch in or take a nap while paying me ~18 an hour more. This is just “look busy or else” misery.

My old job was like this too and I used the time to learn how to draw lol

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

low key sex master posted:

My old job was like this too and I used the time to learn how to draw lol

Just bring in some of those airpods, or whatever version so its discreet and listen to audiobooks whilst bored. You could even do it with one headphone in. Surely they can't tell with just a little eatphone in? If asked say it's for taking wolrk calls when needed.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why do people over 50+ do this? I've caught this 3 times in the last month, people just saving emails and having their folder structure in the Deleted Items in Outlook! Then they are surprised when it disappears!

Was it general practice in an older version of outlook to do this? Like prior to 2007?

When I was on Helldesk, I learned of one person who, every day when he finished work, would power off his computer without quitting or saving, relying on Office's emergency backups to preserve his work.

One day it failed so he called us to rant about Microsoft making shoddy software and wanted the 2000-employee company to switch to a better office suite. Luckily he wasn't high enough up the ladder to actually effect that change, just high enough to feel like he should.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

As part of the remodelling/COVID evacuation, everyone got told to take their poo poo with them when they left. Before the cubes got ripped out, Facilities went through and collected everything left into boxes with people's names on them (we had assigned desks then). For about two months last fall they sent out almost daily emails to everyone who had a box saying "Come get your poo poo, here's the days you can do it."

Last week a couple of dudes come by to ask where their boxes were. While I was trying to figure out who best to blame, a teammate turned from her desk and just said "Oh, that poo poo got thrown out. Facilities sent you emails for two months, then we went through and found any IT equipment left behind and they trashed everything else. Sorry!"

We take the same approach with people who've lost emails or files they didn't save. The only difference being A) the files have back-ups and B) we don't rummage through the files for things worth keeping like office supplies and NERF darts.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

thathonkey posted:

remote work and a 4-day work week. these are my demands.

This is the future we were promised.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sormus posted:

We've tried negotiating with our company about trying 4x12h shifts, DD-NN----- rotation, unsurprisingly they have not been huge fans of the idea.

48-hour work weeks?

I worked 4x10h shifts for a while and it was pretty great, especially once I had seniority and my days off were Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, but 12 hour shifts would have made it less great.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fisting by many posted:

power off his computer without quitting or saving, relying on Office's emergency backups to preserve his work.

What the actual gently caress. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t obsessively hit ctrl+s every five minutes to avoid losing work, this guy has obviously never worked on anything that was personally important to him.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Oh I forgot to mention that one of the interviews I had that talked about how they were going back to the office and wanted me to move to Fargo ND said that one of the reasons they were stopping WFH was because they "just built a brand new office". lmao Like I give a single poo poo? Did you hear what I just said?

I swear these job listings that claim to be remote must just be holdovers from the pandemic that they forgot to change the locations on.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

He's right

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

48-hour work weeks?

I worked 4x10h shifts for a while and it was pretty great, especially once I had seniority and my days off were Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, but 12 hour shifts would have made it less great.

I did 4x12s (or 2x24’s) in EMS all the time, it’s pretty standard for jobs where you’re basically dependent on OT.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I did 4x12s (or 2x24’s) in EMS all the time, it’s pretty standard for jobs where you’re basically dependent on OT.

Okay, I was wondering if it might be something in the medical field. It's one of the few areas in the US where ridiculously long shifts are not only condoned but appear to be the norm.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve seen 12 hour shifts elsewhere but usually they were 3x12. Honestly I would kind of prefer 3x12 over 4x10 but that’s because my day is absolutely shot when I’m working anyway.

My old constitution safety job was 5x10,1x8 minimum and it was kind of brutal but the paychecks were excellent. Especially if the “8” became an “18” because of some kind of major milestone that was getting hit, and if I went over 12 they paid to stick me in a motel down the street so I wouldn’t have to drive.

E: towards the end there were people on the site putting in 7x12 but they’d also be working like three week sprints and then done, construction gets weird with the hours because people can take a ton of time off between jobs.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Some places will do a 32/40, where you work back to back sixteen hour shifts and then get paid for 40 hours of work. I’ve never done it before, I can certainly see the appeal, but gently caress that would kill me

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I’ve seen 12 hour shifts elsewhere but usually they were 3x12. Honestly I would kind of prefer 3x12 over 4x10 but that’s because my day is absolutely shot when I’m working anyway.

My old constitution safety job was 5x10,1x8 minimum and it was kind of brutal but the paychecks were excellent. Especially if the “8” became an “18” because of some kind of major milestone that was getting hit, and if I went over 12 they paid to stick me in a motel down the street so I wouldn’t have to drive.

E: towards the end there were people on the site putting in 7x12 but they’d also be working like three week sprints and then done, construction gets weird with the hours because people can take a ton of time off between jobs.

Okay, that also makes sense. When I was doing the 4x10s it was doing phone-based tech support, so a lot of the time was just sitting in front of a computer waiting for a call. And the later at night it got the quieter it got. Having nothing to do but wait made the days feel longer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

And the later at night it got the quieter it got. Having nothing to do but wait made the days feel longer.

:same:

If you’re doing a shift that’s more than 8 hours it has to be either hella busy or you need to be free to do whatever when there’s nothing going on.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

48-hour work weeks?

Ours would be 2on, 1off, 2on, 5off which sounds reasonable to me.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Uh...that's just 48 hours straight? How many stimulants were you on?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Machai posted:

Uh...that's just 48 hours straight? How many stimulants were you on?

That’s two nonsequential 24 hour shifts per week. It’s not unusual for fire/EMS since a lot of those services have bunk rooms and you usually get to sleep when you’re not actively doing something.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
7 on 7 off 13-14 hr shifts was kind of good for a while but in the end you're just a zombie.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I could do weirder shifts when I was younger, and could force myself to do mornings. My work thankfully isn't dumb about this and I can set my own schedule to a large degree.

In my industry in general, though, the loving morning people dominate conferences and workshops, so professional development stuff is often inaccessible to me because the sadists want to start everything at spite o'clock in the AM.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We returned to the office with the promise that WFH was still on the table. All of five people have been given WFH deals, and two of them are just existing deals from before covid.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I could do weirder shifts when I was younger, and could force myself to do mornings. My work thankfully isn't dumb about this and I can set my own schedule to a large degree.

In my industry in general, though, the loving morning people dominate conferences and workshops, so professional development stuff is often inaccessible to me because the sadists want to start everything at spite o'clock in the AM.

My work is the same way (to the point that my 9 to 6 shift is considered "late") and I'll never loving understand it. It might be just because I never drive, so traffic is never a thing in my head. Maybe if you drive to work, in/out early is better? It's not like you're beating Boston traffic ever.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Neito posted:

My work is the same way (to the point that my 9 to 6 shift is considered "late") and I'll never loving understand it.
Different strokes, I guess, but most major businesses/services works around 8am - 5pm hours. And if you have kids, good luck finding schools and daycares not following similar hours.

Also, personally I'd rather just get work done early and have the rest of the day to myself. I'd be doing 6am - 3pm shifts if I could.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Basically everything related to scheduling is a holdover from when we were an agrarian society and most people were working the fields.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cheesus posted:

Also, personally I'd rather just get work done early and have the rest of the day to myself. I'd be doing 6am - 3pm shifts if I could.

When I was working from home everyday last year I’d work 5:30am - 2:30pm and it was wonderful.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ultrafilter posted:

Basically everything related to scheduling is a holdover from when we were an agrarian society and most people were working the fields.

A train full of scythe toting fieldhands yawning and staring at their phones.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Blue Moonlight posted:

The thing about the collaboration lie is that it gets more insulting the more you think about it.

Anything worth “collaborating” on is worth documenting and communicating broadly, which enables remote contribution as well as contribution from such distinct and varied groups as “people who weren’t walking by the whiteboard at 1:37 PM”, “coworkers on vacation,” “those who were double-booked for a meeting,” and “people busy collaborating with someone else at the time.”

Managers afraid that, besides not getting the satisfaction of lording over people in person, without in-person collaboration they are going to miss out of the next big thing. They think these “spontaneous collaboration” episodes are going to be like the Velvet Underground, where Todd’s white boarding session didn’t lead to much, but everyone at that white boarding session went on to lead their division to 500% profitability.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Neito posted:

My work is the same way (to the point that my 9 to 6 shift is considered "late") and I'll never loving understand it. It might be just because I never drive, so traffic is never a thing in my head. Maybe if you drive to work, in/out early is better? It's not like you're beating Boston traffic ever.

Also working 9-6 (well, 5:30, I have half hour lunches) and no, I'm not really getting any better traffic if I go in early. If anything it's worse. YMMV though.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cheesus posted:

Different strokes, I guess, but most major businesses/services works around 8am - 5pm hours. And if you have kids, good luck finding schools and daycares not following similar hours.

True, but I specifically didn't have kids so that I would never have to be chained to such early hours. By contrast, my favorite time to work is when everyone else is starting to slow down for the day, from like 1pm-9pm. I need a sloooowwwww lead-in to the day and then I'm totally with fine with only a few hours at night.

WFH has been a dream bc I no longer have to spend hours in the morning trying to be useful when I'm not able to then staying late when I finally get in the groove and I'm honestly worried about what my work-life balance will be like when I have to go back in :(

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 7, 2021

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Someone burnt their disposable plastic plate in the microwave and now the whole floor smells like I'm getting cancer

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

A train full of scythe toting fieldhands yawning and staring at their phones.

Vs what, scything on the train?

Besides, kids these days only know steam engine, McCormick Reaper, and the polka.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 7, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pulcinella posted:

Managers afraid that, besides not getting the satisfaction of lording over people in person, without in-person collaboration they are going to miss out of the next big thing. They think these “spontaneous collaboration” episodes are going to be like the Velvet Underground, where Todd’s white boarding session didn’t lead to much, but everyone at that white boarding session went on to lead their division to 500% profitability.

What you never jammed out with your bros in the office kitchen and magically found a way to save a couple mill on the budget while staring emptily into a cup of coffee as Brad recounts his weekend of playing Call of Duty and his girlfriend being a total ball and chain because she didnt want anymore spare bike parts in the living room?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So we hired a new supervisor since we couldn't find a suitable candidate internally. First day on the job assumes I am a go-for and wants me to drive 20 minutes into the city to get him a Starbucks coffee and gets upset when I tell him no.He then complains I am being insubordinate to his manager who laughs at him and has to explain I do the accounting and payroll. He then tries to tear a strip off of me this week because some part timers complained that they don't get holiday pay every holiday. This is something they always complain about. The supervisor did not understand that we pay a percentage of the gross earnings once a year for part time employees and he kept trying to tell me I am wrong when it is a company policy. This went on for 30 minutes until I call my boss into the conversation to set him straight.

He is now trying to get me to send personal items from his side hustle on the company's shipping account with Canada Post. I already called ethics line about his behaviour and I don't see him lasting past July.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

TacticalHoodie posted:

I already called ethics line about his behaviour and I don't see him lasting past July.

Yeah... because he is going to be promoted to director level.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

HR: have this item be available on this day.

(day arrives and item is made available that morning when workday begins)

HR: hey Hyrax's manager, why the hell didn't your clown have this available at 12:01 AM this morning?

(months later)

HR: make this item available this day

(item is released several hours before requested day to make sure it works right)

HR: you seem to be unable to read request forms, we said NOT UNTIL THIS DAY

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

TacticalHoodie posted:

So we hired a new supervisor since we couldn't find a suitable candidate internally. First day on the job assumes I am a go-for and wants me to drive 20 minutes into the city to get him a Starbucks coffee and gets upset when I tell him no.He then complains I am being insubordinate to his manager who laughs at him and has to explain I do the accounting and payroll. He then tries to tear a strip off of me this week because some part timers complained that they don't get holiday pay every holiday. This is something they always complain about. The supervisor did not understand that we pay a percentage of the gross earnings once a year for part time employees and he kept trying to tell me I am wrong when it is a company policy. This went on for 30 minutes until I call my boss into the conversation to set him straight.

He is now trying to get me to send personal items from his side hustle on the company's shipping account with Canada Post. I already called ethics line about his behaviour and I don't see him lasting past July.

The interview process for your company sucks major rear end

I always wonder how people like that somehow make it into the system and after having done interviews myself the last few years

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

The interview process for your company sucks major rear end

I always wonder how people like that somehow make it into the system and after having done interviews myself the last few years

Before we would have done the hiring ourselves since we need to make sure the supervisor was a great fit with our environment. Now with the HR group in Ontario is looking to cut us out of hiring salary positions for our warehouses and this is the person we got. A guy who got fired from managing a loving Dairy Queen. My Boss is using this as a example of how out of touch our HR group has become in the last few years and to move hiring back to the site level again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have almost been terminated for attendance like three times this month despite not missing any work because our HR department is such a shitshow. Any time my schedule changes they completely gently caress up actually entering it in and the automatic tracking software thinks I haven’t gone to any of my shifts despite having 40+ hours a week in. How do you gently caress up this bad this consistently? :psyduck: