Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pick the orange Giovanna skin to hide the dust startup glow. Forbidden tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I know the wiki got linked, but any in particular giving you issues?

I'm not sure if it's anything specific, but something about Faust in particular is making it hard for me to connect hits. Maybe it's because he's so lanky and his animations are all over the place, and his hitbox doesnt cover his head. I was also having trouble blocking his whirlwind thing, but looking at the wiki there's nothing particularly strange about it, really, so I don't really know why it was so hard to deal with. :shrug:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Yeah Dust animations aren't uniform and barely any of them look like overheads, but they all glow yellow so you know to block high. Even Anji's rekka overhead is color coded yellow not that you'd need it with how telegraphed it is.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Well, live by the Dust, die by the Dust. After that trash I talked earlier I got hit with a charged Dust attack by a Ky twice in one match. I'm tempted to post the replay here because that whole match was just the funniest, dumbest match I think I've ever seen in this game. I almost lost because I was shaking with laughter. I almost wonder if my opponent was too and that's why I won.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Arzachel posted:

Only old people play fighting games so you don't get that excuse :v:

Yeah. Justin Wong is 35 and is a Strive tournament contender. Daigo is 40.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

To be fair, Daigo has been playing fighting games nonstop for the last 30 years. I'm just picking this up now at that kind of age.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hmm. I'm really bad at telling the difference between the voice lines, so I guess I'll try this. But I also can't tell the difference between overhead and low attacks, frequently get dust launched or thrown every time I try to block for more than half a second, so it kind of feels like I'm just hitting a wall in terms of what my old-man capabilities can muster. :sigh:

For example, I just spent a match getting thrown in the corner four-five times in a row with none of my attempts at punching connecting. That's all my opponent did. Forward + dust.

I think relying on voice lines is a bad idea anyway, too slow to react. Also I guess I haven't tested it myself yet but I could have sworn that May had the same line for both dolphins but she alternated which one she used regardless of version so she didn't play the exact same inflection twice in a row, but I could be wrong. Anyway the slow dolphin has a pause as it starts up and the fast one doesn't, you should have enough time to identify on block if you blocked the fast one or the slow one and respond appropriately. If it was the slow one, keep blocking, if it was the fast one, jump out or try challenging her next button.

I have gotten thrown a lot too my reflexes are bad. Standing dust is essentially unblockable to me. The best response to a throw attempt is usually to try to jump out instead of mashing buttons though IMO. Throws are fast and if you're not waking up from knockdown if they run up to you and normal throw your reaction time + 5 frames or whatever of jab startup could easily lose to the 2 frame normal throw. If you ARE waking up, you have 5 frames of unthrowable but after frame 6 you're throwable so you really gotta hit a fast button and it's probably safer to block low and then attempt a jump out if you're not in block stun

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Glagha posted:

I think relying on voice lines is a bad idea anyway, too slow to react. Also I guess I haven't tested it myself yet but I could have sworn that May had the same line for both dolphins but she alternated which one she used regardless of version so she didn't play the exact same inflection twice in a row, but I could be wrong

Someone figured out earlier in the thread that this seems to be a myth anyway - the lines are random.

The thread's advice to jump out of throws rather than trying to 5P them has worked out though! Saved my bacon on more than one occasion now. Thanks, thread.

Still can't react to the overhead glow fast enough though. :v: And... is there any real pattern to which attacks are overheads? I feel like there are so many things that are visually at head height yet are low (Faust's 2K), or at foot height but are overhead (Nagoriyuki's D).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To be fair, Daigo has been playing fighting games nonstop for the last 30 years. I'm just picking this up now at that kind of age.

It's ok to not be great. I lost six matches tonight because I can't super for the life of me. Every time I tried it I failed and threw out a normal then got killed. Really frustrating night on many levels but I'll be back.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Someone figured out earlier in the thread that this seems to be a myth anyway - the lines are random.

The thread's advice to jump out of throws rather than trying to 5P them has worked out though! Saved my bacon on more than one occasion now. Thanks, thread.

Still can't react to the overhead glow fast enough though. :v: And... is there any real pattern to which attacks are overheads? I feel like there are so many things that are visually at head height yet are low (Faust's 2K), or at foot height but are overhead (Nagoriyuki's D).

You just gotta know.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
This game and the PS4 dpad are wrecking the left top of my thumb. So many quarter circles and my middle aged cuticles are feeling each one. Got a Hori Fighting Commander on the way, and I can't get it soon enough.

Also, has anyone running into idlers who are still, like, there? I played this one guy on tower level 6 who was clearly OKing into and out of the fight, but just sat there and let me get two perfects. I don't get it, but his profile had each character at level 50. Weird way to play a fighting game, buddy! And there's no way to report him, as far as I could see, so idling he'll go on, I guess.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Sloth Socks posted:

Also, has anyone running into idlers who are still, like, there?

If you sit in training matchmaking you can get put into fights with no input required on your part, so I imagine if life suddenly calls (kids that need taking care of, bathroom break, whatever) it's going to look to all the world like the person is just not there. Obviously that's not the case if they zonk out mid-match or is pressing rematch buttons but if it seems that way from the start, maybe?

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you sit in training matchmaking you can get put into fights with no input required on your part, so I imagine if life suddenly calls (kids that need taking care of, bathroom break, whatever) it's going to look to all the world like the person is just not there. Obviously that's not the case if they zonk out mid-match or is pressing rematch buttons but if it seems that way from the start, maybe?

Maybe, but he kept bouncing to different spots and changing characters. I matched against him twice without realizing it over 30 minutes. loving weird!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

JBP posted:

It's ok to not be great. I lost six matches tonight because I can't super for the life of me. Every time I tried it I failed and threw out a normal then got killed. Really frustrating night on many levels but I'll be back.

the 3f window to get my wakeup super is insanely tight and I miss it all the time, which irritates me since there's games I could've won by catching people out but instead of getting my invincible reversal super, I just wind up whiffing a normal and get clocked for it

I fell two floors last night but I've managed to climb back to 8. gonna order a new Hori pad too. I think mine's just taken too much abuse over the last few years.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I think really I just need to remind me myself that for every time I'm frustrated because I'm stuck in a corner, another player is frustrated they're eating another Megafist to the face they should've seen coming. The matchmaking is pretty good when the network decides to cooperate, it's been rare I've gotten into a fight where I've been completely helpless.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Time for the regularly scheduled gently caress Chipp post.

gently caress Chipp.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Good on ArcSys though for inventing a walking parody of weeaboo culture who I can only imagine is tremendously popular amongst weebs.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ive been playing off and on over the past couple weeks and largely focusing I-no, hovering around floor six while I brush off all my dust and rust from not really playing foghting games since GGXX. Last night I had a string of matches against a Milia where it finally felt like we were playing a lot of mind games with each other and that was the only reason either of us barely won.

I'm pretty bad at actual big combos but also haven't put in any practice mode training at all, but relative to the floors I'm on I feel really good at reading everything but throws and can usually confirm two to four hits off of most openers. At first Gio was pretty scary but now I almost feel she's a little limited compared to everyone else, she's got being positive for days going for her though. I think Nago is still my scariest match up but the skill level I see between floor four and seven players varies wildly. It's kinda nuts how many people have the same basic five or six hit combo nailed down but never burst or rc and simply back off when they don't know what to do, and are bad at managing their blood guage. Ram might also be in this caregory but it's too early to tell as I've only fought like three of them. The first obliterated me non stop and then moved on but the next couple, despite playing very differently from each other, where a lot easier to read and poke out of block strings. One of them had no idea what to do after tossing her swords but the other went crazy aggressive with what were probably jump punches.

I see people say I-no is a bit too slow to be good but between punishing low stuff by diving into people, or chaining the dives off off JS and JH, and 2K 2S 2D Stroke she's feeling pretty solid to me. I'm dashing up and grabbing people way less than everyone else though.

I passed 100 matches a few days ago and still don't think I've fought a single Axl yet. And the amount of Sols and Potemkins who clearly panic as soon as I block anything at all is really amusing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Good on ArcSys though for inventing a walking parody of weeaboo culture who I can only imagine is tremendously popular amongst weebs.
why wouldn't he be? it's not like he's mockery, he's a loving tribute. he's a weeb whos also a huge badass samurai and all the japanese characters wanna hang out with him, lol.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Endorph posted:

why wouldn't he be? it's not like he's mockery, he's a loving tribute. he's a weeb whos also a huge badass samurai and all the japanese characters wanna hang out with him, lol.

I feel like you're interpreting that as a reference to Nagoriyuki when I think they meant Chipp; you know, the guy who was born in the US but says he's from Japan and says random Japanese words when he attacks. But it is very hilarious that both Anji and Chipp's entire story motivation seems to be "I want to be friends with that rad samurai guy!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite part about Chipp is that he's exactly stupid enough to end up the smartest person in the room whenever he turns up. He notices the blindingly obvious and important stuff, and no more, which means he doesn't get distracted by bigger, more complex questions.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

KingShiro posted:

Time for the regularly scheduled gently caress Chipp post.

gently caress Chipp.

I just get annoyed that his DP feels unpunishable because he can cancel it into another special even if it whiffs?

also his rekka is not safe but spaces him enough that it's difficult to punish unless you Instant Block it. dude's just fast as hell too and I feel like sometimes not even the Chipp player knows where he's gonna end up.

also my favorite thing about Chipp is that he declared himself president of a kingdom

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Chipp can’t cancel his DP (except for roman cancel), it just recovers fast, basically as soon as he hits the ground. it’s definitely punishable but you gotta be ready.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Just got done playing a chipp for a dozen rounds until the lobby exploded. Trying to throw him out of his command throw is so finnicky and you can't punish whiffed super either because he's on the other side of the screen.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

b_d posted:

Chipp can’t cancel his DP (except for roman cancel), it just recovers fast, basically as soon as he hits the ground. it’s definitely punishable but you gotta be ready.

maybe it's not his DP then? I've seen him do something that launches him into the air and he'll go from that into the downward drill attack. I eat it every time cuz I think it's a DP I can punish

also I'm starting to get really annoyed by people grabbing me out of blockstrings. Maybe there's a gap or something, but I really would like to know how people are sneaking through my pressure.

Skypie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 5, 2021

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I miss goofy Faust. The scarecrow aesthetic is cool and all but afros don't make up for his lost charm.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Skypie posted:

maybe it's not his DP then? I've seen him do something that launches him into the air and he'll go from that into the downward drill attack. I eat it every time cuz I think it's a DP I can punish

oh probably upwards alpha blade. he disappears and goes diagonally up and usually through you then can act in the air afterwards.

alpha blade diagonal:

beta blade, his actual dp:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

wologar posted:

I miss goofy Faust. The scarecrow aesthetic is cool and all but afros don't make up for his lost charm.

Speaking of scarecrows, can someone explain his, well, scarecrow move? I read the dustloop wiki entry on it and I'm still not sure I get how you're supposed to react to it; whenever I've had it used against me, I've gotten speared from above and it doesn't seem to matter which direction I block there?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Skypie posted:

also I'm starting to get really annoyed by people grabbing me out of blockstrings. Maybe there's a gap or something, but I really would like to know how people are sneaking through my pressure.

Throws are two frame startup, if you mistime a meaty or leave gaps too close to the opponent and they're mashing throw they can throw you out of stuff. Some setups that seem tight might have a 2 frame gap that you can be thrown out of. If someone is mashing throw on their wakeup or in block strings start baiting it with tighter frame traps, more active meaties, backdashes and jumps. Whiffing a throw gives you a free punish of your choice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Speaking of scarecrows, can someone explain his, well, scarecrow move? I read the dustloop wiki entry on it and I'm still not sure I get how you're supposed to react to it; whenever I've had it used against me, I've gotten speared from above and it doesn't seem to matter which direction I block there?

You need to look for which scarecrow has eyes and attack it or stand block it.

A move that hits behind you like anji 5hs is really good for not giving a poo poo

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah if neither has eyes it’s the above one and you just need to stand block, it doesn’t change sides. that one’s also super punishable

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

For countering throws out of blockchains I've just been fuzzying 2K.

This is probably a bad move at higher tiers of play and for more than a few characters but it's carrying me in mid tier play with I-no.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

fun fact i noticed: unless i missed something, every single character has a super on 632146H. isn’t that interesting, yes

edit: i missed something, axl doesn’t have this input. fun fact canceled.

big deal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 5, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Inputs seem pretty simple in general in this game, I haven't seen anything more complicated than 623 and 632146. Were previous GGs like this? The last one I played was XX back like 20 years ago and I don't remember any of the inputs now.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Inputs seem pretty simple in general in this game, I haven't seen anything more complicated than 623 and 632146. Were previous GGs like this? The last one I played was XX back like 20 years ago and I don't remember any of the inputs now.

GG has never been very difficult on inputs, just absurd pacing and being incredibly analogue.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah the inputs are pretty much the same. though there are cases like i-no, whose chemical love input was 632146 in xx instead of 214 like it is now. also in xrd there is one (1) 360 input, which is for a super.

edit: oh yeah and in xx order sol had this super which was pretty impractical anyway (took full meter and his unique meter had to be maxed)

edit2: oh yeah and xx had FRCs, which were cheaper roman cancels built into a lot of moves that had very small windows to be executed and were very important to lots of characters’ gameplans. so that’s actually a major difference in execution difficulty

big deal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 5, 2021

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

b_d posted:

oh probably upwards alpha blade. he disappears and goes diagonally up and usually through you then can act in the air afterwards.

alpha blade diagonal:

beta blade, his actual dp:

yeah this is it. I guess I just need to figure out what I can do to counter it as Gio.

RevolverDivider posted:

Throws are two frame startup, if you mistime a meaty or leave gaps too close to the opponent and they're mashing throw they can throw you out of stuff. Some setups that seem tight might have a 2 frame gap that you can be thrown out of. If someone is mashing throw on their wakeup or in block strings start baiting it with tighter frame traps, more active meaties, backdashes and jumps. Whiffing a throw gives you a free punish of your choice

Yeah I was watching some of my replays and realized this Leo I played was almost always throwing on wake-up and I realized I should've been shimmying to bait it. I don't have a great handle on my best meaties or oki set-ups as Gio, I mostly have been relying on c.S or 2D to condition them to block then I start mixing in throws. but I've been snatched out of some of my pressure strings so I guess I just need to dig in deep to see what the actual frame data is so I have a better idea of how to put together my offense.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

this is actually in the mission mode. it turns out that if you as pot just hit S if you see scarecrow eyes, he'll get hit. if you don't see eyes, hold standing block.

Faust can RC scarecrow though, so you might want to block opposite direction of scarecrow eyes if he has meter.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Skypie posted:

yeah this is it. I guess I just need to figure out what I can do to counter it as Gio.

the upwards one is completely safe on block (ok you could air throw him if he ends up right next to you after the block but that won’t happen). it’s got 24 frames of startup though so if you’re hitting buttons you’ll catch him.

he can do that one downwards from the air too, and that one’s -7 on block so it should be punishable if you’re on the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

wologar posted:

Agreed, but put on English voices. Despite being kind of creepy in affectation, you realize how dumb everything he's saying is.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The aerial version is fake cross up, it comes down "in front" of where you were when he teleported, so it won't hit "behind" unless you physically moved forward in the past second.

If he does it raw (which is generally a bad idea for Faust), you can spam your fastest normal. He's vulnerable before he pops out and your character should auto-correct the side, which also gives you time to block if it turns out to be the air version.

I can't speak for other Fausts but I use scarecrow for two situations: punishing unsafe moves at a distance (which generally requires the other person to be predictable), or forcing a mixup based on something I just threw. For example, I'll kick a bomb over and then teleport behind them, hoping to catch them as they try to kick it back. A general rule of thumb is that teleporting in front of someone is dangerous for Faust, so block the opposite way and then react if you don't see the glowing eye.

Also since you asked, 6P can stuff his whirlwind, as I have learned very painfully.