Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Ooo what was wrong with it? It's only £6 in the Steam sale and I've always wanted to play it (hate using roms)

edit: nevermind its right on wikipedia

It’s been fixed now and by all accounts is finally solid so it’s definitely worth grabbing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Come on Warmech!

god I was so loving happy when I saw a bunch of WarMechs stomping around Zadnor

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So "To Zanarkand" is one of the most iconic bits of FF music. Seen arguments about which is better, it or X-2's "Eternity: Memory of Lightwaves." Tough call.

Only...it's a bad comparison because "To Zanarkand" isn't the start-up screen song like the latter. This is tFFX's main menu song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJzABTD510

And while I wouldn't say it sucks, for a soundtrack as legendary as FFX's, this is a pretty lackluster song. Like, X-2's "Memories of Lightwaves" or Persona 4's "Corner of Memories" are songs I always think about. I love FFX to pieces but I never think about this song in spite of its placement.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Excluding series-wide themes like the Prelude, Prologue, and the Chocobo theme, To Zanarkand is definitely top 3, arguably top 2 in terms of iconic FF themes after the intro to FF7 and maaaaybe Aerith's Theme.

There's a bunch more as well, but I haven't had enough coffee to really dive into that conversation yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It depends what you mean by iconic but I imagine almost every FF7 track will be more memorable and beloved by most people than anything else in the series.

Intro/Bombing Run, Tifa And Aerith's theme, OWA, Jenova, Wall Market, Shinra, Gold Saucer and Cosmo Canyon are still seared into millions of brains decades after the fact. To Zanarkand is probably the only other theme that comes close.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It just struck me that Final Fantasy is probably unique among video game franchises in that most of its big standout themes aren't bangers. They're mostly just very pretty, emotional pieces, and also the chocobo theme.

The bangers are there, don't get me wrong, you don't have to dig far down any list until you hit One Winged Angel or Clash on the Big Bridge. But the fact you have to dig at all is kind of unusual.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It really depends on who you ask. Almost none of FF7 music is very memorable to me, but a lot of especially FF6 and FF8 is. I didn't even like 10 but even I recognize To Zanarkand as a pretty big deal track, though. Usually the answers to "which FF is the best/has the best music/characters/whatever" and "which FF did you play when you were 12" will be the same.

Also the XV music doesn't get nearly enough credit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Just inject that Hitoshi Sakimoto Tactics/XII goodness straight into my veins.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I didnt think I cared much about FF VII’s music as I never cared for the game a ton but playing the Remake holy poo poo that was a gut punch of nostalgia and I had a smile on my face the whole time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The final phase Jenova theme is such a nice treat

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Remembering way back when I first played 10 I and all of my friends thought To Zanarkand was cheesy and kinda bad and we were Black Mages fans too. I don't actually dislike it now but the universal praise here is a bit surprising.

Especially because I easily agree with everything else said. Even back then I had the FF6 nostalgia and stuff like Zozo's and Setzer's themes are easily more memorable, but a ton of 7 and 8 and Tactics' music are definitely in my head forever. And I don't even really like 8 except for the side stuff, the Laguna stuff, and the huge step up in cut scenes.

Also with as much as I love 9 I think the only music from it that really stands out in my head is the chocobo tracks.

e: vvv honestly even ignoring all the past game remixes you might be right.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 5, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
14 has the best music in the franchise. Just Shadowbringers spans like every genre with bangers but highlights are in stormblood and heavensward

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

14 has the best music in the franchise. Just Shadowbringers spans like every genre with bangers but highlights are in stormblood and heavensward

XIV is almost cheating, because it has so MUCH music. Soken's great, sure, but when you're hitting basically every single genre but ska for like ten hours every expansion, you're gonna hit some good stuff just by law of large numbers.

It does have my favorite moments of music in the franchise, though, and it monopolizes those ranks. Oblivion, Dragonsong, Fiend, Exponential Entropy, Rise, Beauty's Wicked Wiles, Sunrise, the Primals version of Locus (honestly, any moment they use the Alexander themes), Sands of Amber, basically every song associated with the Thirteenth Gundam Fights Weapon trials... they're all good songs, sure, but the game knows how to use them so well.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

So "To Zanarkand" is one of the most iconic bits of FF music. Seen arguments about which is better, it or X-2's "Eternity: Memory of Lightwaves." Tough call.

Only...it's a bad comparison because "To Zanarkand" isn't the start-up screen song like the latter. This is tFFX's main menu song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJzABTD510

And while I wouldn't say it sucks, for a soundtrack as legendary as FFX's, this is a pretty lackluster song. Like, X-2's "Memories of Lightwaves" or Persona 4's "Corner of Memories" are songs I always think about. I love FFX to pieces but I never think about this song in spite of its placement.

Memories of Lightwaves is on the level of Kingdom Hearts’ menu music. Also odd because honestly the X-2 soundtrack isn’t that great especially for FF standards.

Persona 4’s title screen is on that level too - i dunno what it is but those are all songs that made me feel nostalgic the first time I heard them

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cleretic posted:

every single genre but ska

This desperately needs addressed

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

wow, cant believe the newest content is a crossover with tony hawks pro skater

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Countblanc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXr6aBUiBWA&t=51s

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 5, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Does FF14 have literally everything in it now

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That's from post heavensward pre stormblood era too, pretty sure. Had it for a while.

It's just missing the dirtier more gritty thrash and punk stuff at this point. And mathrock.

If it's a clean or smooth style then 14 has it. I wouldn't be surpised if we got something like Fugazi's I'm So Tired with Endwalker either.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Simone Magus posted:

Does FF14 have literally everything in it now

Yes.

It's great that it was so easy to turn Brute Justice (a super sentai take on the broader Alexander music) into a ska version. The original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg
:allears:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Memories of Lightwaves is on the level of Kingdom Hearts’ menu music. Also odd because honestly the X-2 soundtrack isn’t that great especially for FF standards.

Persona 4’s title screen is on that level too - i dunno what it is but those are all songs that made me feel nostalgic the first time I heard them

The Piano Collections version of Memories of Lightwaves competes with JENOVA Complete/Absolute for my favourite piece of FF music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NTO_3UZzVY

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 5, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Soken cover reel big fish's song beer

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was thinking the exact same thing. Between this and Real Emotion, X-2 sets you up for a huge fall. Two bangers to start off with followed by a whole lot of mediocrity, some truly awful music, and then one or two more good songs later on.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

HD DAD posted:

Just inject that Hitoshi Sakimoto Tactics/XII goodness straight into my veins.

Hell yeah.

FF7 was my first real Final Fantasy game (I had rented Mystic Quest a bunch when I was a kid, that was the only other one) and I have played hundreds upon hundreds of hours of it over my life, and all of the music is very nostalgic for me, especially Aerith's theme, the world map music, the Wutai music, and a track most people probably don't think about very much, the one that plays during Cloud's flashback in the Lifestream. They're all so very, very good.

Welp, after looking up that track on Youtube, I feel like I need to play FF7 again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

1000 Words owns

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

FF7 was my first real Final Fantasy game (I had rented Mystic Quest a bunch when I was a kid

As hyper simple as that game is I still really love Mystic Quest's music and get tempted to replay it for that alone.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hell yeah.

FF7 was my first real Final Fantasy game (I had rented Mystic Quest a bunch when I was a kid, that was the only other one) and I have played hundreds upon hundreds of hours of it over my life, and all of the music is very nostalgic for me, especially Aerith's theme, the world map music, the Wutai music, and a track most people probably don't think about very much, the one that plays during Cloud's flashback in the Lifestream. They're all so very, very good.

Welp, after looking up that track on Youtube, I feel like I need to play FF7 again.

Get the remake, it's awesome

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

The Piano Collections version of Memories of Lightwaves competes with JENOVA Complete/Absolute for my favourite piece of FF music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NTO_3UZzVY

This is really nice!

NikkolasKing posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Between this and Real Emotion, X-2 sets you up for a huge fall. Two bangers to start off with followed by a whole lot of mediocrity, some truly awful music, and then one or two more good songs later on.

I just looked it up and the composers straight up both left Square after it drat. Looks like it was not well received

"Unlike the music from the main Final Fantasy series, no songs from Final Fantasy X-2 have been played at any of the numerous Final Fantasy concerts. Selections of music from the game have appeared on Japanese remix albums, called dojin music, and on English remixing websites.[31]"

One of them makes all the Sonic soundtracks now

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Have XIII-2/LR's songs been played at concerts? Those are the only other sequels I could think of with original soundtracks, since TAY and RW both just mostly took songs from their base game.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Get the remake, it's awesome

I liked a lot of things about the remake but the soundtrack was by far the highlight for me.

I'm a big fan of game OSTs in general so YMMV, but the remake has some parts that are straight-up elevated by the music.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Teratrain posted:

I liked a lot of things about the remake but the soundtrack was by far the highlight for me.

I'm a big fan of game OSTs in general so YMMV, but the remake has some parts that are straight-up elevated by the music.

FF7 Remake is the first game I felt was scored like a movie. I don't mean it sounds like a movie, I mean there is SO much music throughout that the game's music changes in tone and speed with everything you do and flows together perfectly. You can go from Fight > Explore > Cutscene and have 3 different tracks but they blend together so well

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FF7 Remake is the first game I felt was scored like a movie. I don't mean it sounds like a movie, I mean there is SO much music throughout that the game's music changes in tone and speed with everything you do and flows together perfectly. You can go from Fight > Explore > Cutscene and have 3 different tracks but they blend together so well

Even just listening to the soundtrack is weird because it doesn't really have "So-and-so's Theme" that plays whenever So-and-so does anything, it has a different version of the theme for each individual cutscene, with different timings to match the emotional beats of the scene.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Clarste posted:

Even just listening to the soundtrack is weird because it doesn't really have "So-and-so's Theme" that plays whenever So-and-so does anything, it has a different version of the theme for each individual cutscene, with different timings to match the emotional beats of the scene.

Which is why it is almost 9 hours long

The physical version comes on more discs than the original FF7 did

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What if Sephiroth is like a dog and just sort of does things arbitrarily?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have a minority opinion in I think X-2's music is really good. Memory of the Lightwaves in incredible. 1000 words is emotionally resonant. Its reprisal during the credits is even better. The only track that straight up sucks is the chocobo theme (it's so weird). I love Paine's Theme the most I think.

You don't hear tracks from X-2 very often in concert I think for two reasons: One, X-2 straight up isn't popular and doesn't sit in the same cultural memory as the classics. Two, a lot of the music is very modern and isn't performed by an orchestra.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I found out my local games store has a FFTCG weekly. I’m thinking of buying a starter deck, attending, and writing up a field report

Update:

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 6, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We’re old enough now that parents are naming their children Sephiroth Jr.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mega64 posted:

We're old enough that people whose first FF experience was Advent Children are now naming their children Yazoo Jr.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

stev posted:

We're old enough that people whose first FF experience was Advent Children are now naming their children Yazoo Jr.

Quite the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

This is my child Sephiroth, and this is my child Aeris. I’m not setting us up for future tragedy, why do people keep asking me that