Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ok so Eevee evolutions in the anime are more common than I remembered. That still raises the question of whether Chloe’s will ever evolve though (and given its intro episode it’s possible we may be dealing with the Let’s Go version in this case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Cyndaquil is the only starter where the middle form is my favourite. Everything else I either prefer their first form, final evolution, or just don't like the line at all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Cyndaquil is the only starter where the middle form is my favourite. Everything else I either prefer their first form, final evolution, or just don't like the line at all.

Raboot is absolute top tier while its prevo and evo are really generic.

Other than that I really like Quilava, Grovyle, Dewott and Ivysaur the most out of their lines as well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wartortle is great.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wartortle is great.

Blastoise is such a letdown after how cool the surf and wave crash tail Warturtle

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Braixen for me. Delphox is weird and ugly. Braixen is adorable and whips out a twig stuck in its tail to use as a magic wand. It's adorable.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like charmeleon not being a huge regular dragon guy but a cool fire lizard that is pretty menacing. would like there to be a meleon melon item that he could hold to be 95% as good as a charizard. and i would prefer to use the shiny one. Peepee

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pikachu's alright since it has access to so many gimmicks denied to its base and evolved forms 'cause screw 'em

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

Braixen for me. Delphox is weird and ugly. Braixen is adorable and whips out a twig stuck in its tail to use as a magic wand. It's adorable.

I caught a shiny Braixen in a friend safari in X, and have never evolved it to this day. Just because I think Delphox is such a worse design compared to the first 2 stages.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I don't get the Delphox hate. It doesn't even look that different than it's other forms. I get the weird hate for Samurott, even though I disagree with it, but not that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Blastoise is such a letdown after how cool the surf and wave crash tail Warturtle

Blastoise was originally conceived as part of a different evolutionary family from Wartortle, and it really shows in the way it loses its distinctive tail fluff and grows cannons out of nowhere.

Similarly, Venonat and Butterfree were obviously originally part of the same evolutionary family.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I love my crossdressing seal son and all his evolutions.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rudoku posted:

I don't get the Delphox hate. It doesn't even look that different than it's other forms. I get the weird hate for Samurott, even though I disagree with it, but not that.

I think it's ugly. :shrug: Don't know what else to tell you.

Samurott rules though and I will die on that hill with you.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Middle forms from top-tier to garbage tier are officially as follows:

Brionne
Charmeleon
Dewott
Raboot
Drizzile
Frogadier
Wartortle
Torracat
Braixen
Grovyle
Ivysaur
Quilava
Dartrix
Thwackey
Grotle
Bayleef
Servine
Croconaw
Marshtomp
Prinplup
Monferno
Pignite
Combusken
Quilladin

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Come on, man. Quilladin had that perfect "big doofus" energy. How could you see him as being lowest of the low. :smith:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Croconaw is cool actually cause they look like they all wear caveman tunics.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Yestermoment posted:

Come on, man. Quilladin had that perfect "big doofus" energy. How could you see him as being lowest of the low. :smith:

It was harsh to put him below even the dick-and-balls chicken... but it was also fair

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rudoku posted:

It's the 3D model. Delphox is a fine design on it's own and looks as such in the official art, but man is that model where it stands board stiff like it failed to load it's animations and is stuck in its t-pose dire.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

galagazombie posted:

It's the 3D model. Delphox is a fine design on it's own and looks as such in the official art, but man is that model where it stands board stiff like it failed to load it's animations and is stuck in its t-pose dire.

Marshtomp and Dewott are perfect mid-evos that were hit hard by this

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Marshtomp and Dewott are perfect mid-evos that were hit hard by this

Feraligatr was impacted too.

God does it look dumb that its holding its arms at perfect 90 degree angles at all times.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It would be kind of nice if the current Pokémon models were in more dynamic poses or had more animations, but I'd imagine that its hard to give that kind of treatment for over 1000 models.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vinylshadow posted:

Pikachu's alright since it has access to so many gimmicks denied to its base and evolved forms 'cause screw 'em

I always find it a bit funny how Raichu is Lt. Surge's signature Pokemon. Maybe it's just because the big tough army man would have, I dunno, Electabuzz or Electrode instead of a kinda cute mouse. But I ain't gonna judge, macho men are allowed to like cute things.

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll admit that I barely paid the Fennekin line any attention because I just zeroed in on Chespin and Oshawott as the much cooler options. Kinda wish Samurott wasn't in Just Another Water land, though.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Zuzie posted:

It would be kind of nice if the current Pokémon models were in more dynamic poses or had more animations, but I'd imagine that its hard to give that kind of treatment for over 1000 models.

A whole lot of pokemon do have more dynamic and natural-looking poses. They're just... only in Amie/Refresh/Camp. So many of the pokemon that are stuck in a perpetual flying pose in battle have a proper standing pose, complete with idle animation flourishes, for example.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I always find it a bit funny how Raichu is Lt. Surge's signature Pokemon. Maybe it's just because the big tough army man would have, I dunno, Electabuzz or Electrode instead of a kinda cute mouse. But I ain't gonna judge, macho men are allowed to like cute things.

I'll admit that I barely paid the Fennekin line any attention because I just zeroed in on Chespin and Oshawott as the much cooler options. Kinda wish Samurott wasn't in Just Another Water land, though.

Oshawott is from the previous gen as Fennekin/Chespin, they were paired with Froakie :v:

Oshawott was a gen V starter with Snivy and Tepig

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

To be fair, that Raichu did beat the poo poo out of others using his tail as a whip and knows mega punch.

Pokemon in the military is such a weird design when you think about it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zore posted:

Oshawott is from the previous gen as Fennekin/Chespin, they were paired with Froakie :v:

Oshawott was a gen V starter with Snivy and Tepig

Man, the Gen 5/6 era is where it starts to get real blurry for me. For some reason I had it in my head that Samurott's samurai shtick would be pairing with the knight/magician motifs of Chespin/Fennekin.

It probably doesn't helped that I burned out hard on B/W2 and X/Y didn't really help much. It wasn't til ORAS that I started getting back into the game again, but it's never reached the same level as before (DPPt/HGSS was my peak of investment).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Prinplup is the worst middle form because it comes from Piplup, and you're not topping that.
To that extent Torchic got hosed too.
Cindaquil escaped this by just being stretched out across it's evolutions.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So I just stumbled across this and I know it's not going to happen. But this is exactly what I wanted for the Sinnoh remakes and why i'm most likely not wasting any money on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlopKnC6JU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zuzie posted:

heaven forbid The Pokemon Company have to spend any money

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Zuzie posted:

i can see how you would have to cut manor corners with... the flagship property of the highest-grossing game franchise of all time

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Converting money into time is not as easy as people want it to be. I think that being cautious about increasing the scale of their operations is the smart move, even though it does lead to disappointing outcomes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What I really want is them to just port R/B/Y and G/S to the Switch, and let me play them like I did on the Super Gameboy. The 3DS ports were great, with being able to transfer monsters to the modern games.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Silver2195 posted:

Similarly, Venonat and Butterfree were obviously originally part of the same evolutionary family.

This is incorrect, it's just a fan theory.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

No poo poo? But design-wise Venomoth clearly fits with Caterpie and Metapod better than Butterfree and Butterfree is literally Venonat with wings and less hair.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RatHat posted:

Maybe but you're never going to convince me otherwise

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zore posted:

No poo poo? But design-wise Venomoth clearly fits with Caterpie and Metapod better than Butterfree and Butterfree is literally Venonat with wings and less hair.

Yeah but the difference is there are actual sprites from early Red&Green versions showing Wartortle and Blastoise were originally unrelated, while the Venomoth and Butterfree switch is just theory.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

becoming posted:

You might be interested in Drayano's other romhacks; in addition to Renegade Platinum, he's published hacks for Fire Red, HGSS, BWB2W2, and ORAS (3DS); if you do wind up branching out to 3DS, Dio Vento has published similar romhacks for ORAS, SuMo, and USUM.

I went searching for posts about romhacks, and I think I'll try Renegade Platinum for my first game from that generation, mostly because it allows catching all the Pokemon without trading, likewise for Blaze Black from the same hack author. For X/Y, are there any this thread would recommend that also allow catching them all without trading?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Gyarados was obviously originally an evolution of Dragonair, they're both long and snakelike and blue, you're telling me this blue serpent-like dragon evolves into a big orange goof? Gimme a break.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Gyarados was obviously originally an evolution of Dragonair, they're both long and snakelike and blue, you're telling me this blue serpent-like dragon evolves into a big orange goof? Gimme a break.

I think Gyarados specifically was intended as an evolution of Magikarp from the start (note the similar whiskers, and of course the reference to the carp-climbing-the-waterfall legend) - although I guess Gyarados could have been created first and Magikarp created to match. The transition from Dragonair to Dragonite is indeed pretty jarring, though; you'd expect it to evolve into either something vaguely like Gyarados, something vaguely like Milotic, or at least something blue like Salamence. I guess when it was literally the only Dragon-type line, the elegant blue Chinese dragon evolving into a fat orange European dragon seemed less strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In fact, I would go so far as to say that Milotic makes more sense as the final evolution of the Dratini line than Dragonite does.

Speaking of which, what exactly is the correlation between Feebas and Milotic in terms of design/reasoning?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 7, 2021