Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

this sounds cool as hell and i’m saving it for later

TA: rape as plot device in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

TA: rape as plot device in this one

Yeah, that was unfortunate but the rest was pretty decent.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Watching the lovely preview for "The Tomorrow War" reminded me of this story I've been meaning to find and re-read forever.

A veteran returns home to some vaguely defined point in our past. He had been recruited to fight in a war at the end of time against a parallel timeline, in a universe-spanning war. His side won, which ensures their existence, and survivors get to go home still equipped with their weapons which are basically superpowers they were given. The rule is "go home and live your life but don't use your powers". It's alluded that there are a small handful of people who manage to use their powers but not gently caress things up too bad, like Jesus and the Greek pantheon. The main character finds another veteran who is misusing his powers/weapons, and main character has to kill him. The main character beats him up easily in 3D real world meatspace, but the real damage is in the other dimensions and planes of existence where the "grafted" power weapons exist. The moment he unveils his true form to the bad guy he says "Holy poo poo, Colonel Bone! I had no idea it was you!"* and shits his pants because he realizes he's completely outclassed. The fight is one-sided and over quickly, but because time travel is involved and their weapons/powers involve time travel, this means he erases the bad guy from having ever existed. Which means he never fought in the war at the end of time, and since his absence could Butterfly-effect it's way into making them lose the war, the main character has to go back and re-fight the war because of this guy. And the end implies that this happens a lot because people can't stop being jerks with their powers.

*Half the reason I remember this story is the fact that the main character was named "Colonel Bone" and I was like 12 when I read it.

Edit: Of course I find it immediately after I post this and resume searching http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/quietwar.htm

Edit 2:

Tony Daniel wrote some trash and at least one decent Space Opera called Metaplanetary

I own a copy of it and read it about 10 years back but don't remember much FWIW

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Hillary 2024 posted:

I've probably mixed up my memories now but I remember reading a sci-fi book about a dude who gets conscripted into a space war as some sort of armored trooper, catch is that the humans have been enslaved by some sort of alien race which uses them as cannon fodder. It ends with the alien entity controlling his particular ship being killed in a battle and the remaining human troops on the ship mutiny and kill their officer corps who turn out to have been some sort of alien-human hybrid anyway. Then the troops decide to take the ship and head out to go colonize a planet somewhere out of the way. I can't remember what it was called or who the author might have been.

I also seem to remember that the armored suits start as a puddle of T1000 type glop that the troops step into and the suit forms around them before battle. After the alien dies the suits won't form any more.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Joe Haldeman book but I don't seem to be able to get any other hits.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've read that book, but the only line I remember clearly is, 'You need to make friends with your suit'. I was thinking Christopher Anvil was the author maybe?

Looks like this might have been "Their Master's War" by Mick Farren.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Trying to find a SF short from the 60s/70s that popped back into my head involving people living in a city and under heavy conditioning because the city was basically uninhabitable without it - from the outside it just looked like a furnace of light or similar.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
A short story in which one's status in the afterlife is determined by whether anyone alive remembers their name. As long as your name is remembered on Earth, you stay in some kind of limbo, but once it's finally forgotten you can "move on" (something that might not have been explained in detail). I think the story focused on one guy from ancient Sumeria who wanted to move on, but couldn't because there was a stone tablet bearing his name in a museum somewhere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, that one’s called “my brain”

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ScienceSeagull posted:

A short story in which one's status in the afterlife is determined by whether anyone alive remembers their name. As long as your name is remembered on Earth, you stay in some kind of limbo, but once it's finally forgotten you can "move on" (something that might not have been explained in detail). I think the story focused on one guy from ancient Sumeria who wanted to move on, but couldn't because there was a stone tablet bearing his name in a museum somewhere.

Poor Ea-Nasir.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, if he didn't wanna be famous maybe he shouldn't have been selling poo poo copper for premium prices.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Poor Ea-Nasir.

Haha, I don't think the ancient guy was named in the story, but I was definitely reminded of that when I remembered it.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
A Russian sci-fi novel. Five cosmonauts are on their way back to Earth, after visiting a planet with humanoid aliens who never made it out of the middle ages. As in they live in primitive, egalitarian farming communities. The cosmonauts find their space ship to be utterly claustrophobic, and start having hallucinations. They start accusing each others of being impersonators, and set traps for each other, trying to expose each other as not real humans.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ScienceSeagull posted:

I don't really know the author for certain, but this sounds like something Jorge Luis Borges could've written

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Pretty sure that one is Hard to Be a God by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. There was a film version a few years ago that I heard was excellent, but I haven't seen it.

Edited to add that I am talking about the book BattyKiara is looking for.

BrownPepper fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 22, 2021

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I found my story! It happens to be featured as a preview on the author's site:
https://eagleman.com/excerpt/

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

happyhippy posted:

Scifi book I once read at random in the 90s from local library.
Humans and an alien race are living together, getting to know each other, and the alien kids go through a 'puberty' of shedding their hands or limbs.
Some human kids end up dying trying to cut their own hands/limbs off in some sort of gang thing, but turns out some were murdered instead.

Very good book, Alien Influences by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Trying to remember a book I read a few years back. I think the main character is a professor. He gets on a plane to go to some conference and falls asleep, there's some issue and the plane has to make an emergency landing in a fictional country he can't identify and where he doesn't speak the language. Eventually he just goes on living and integrates with society. Does that ring any bells? It was on the shorter side, definitely big-L Literature. I'm almost positive it's not originally an English-language book.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Skrill.exe posted:

Trying to remember a book I read a few years back. I think the main character is a professor. He gets on a plane to go to some conference and falls asleep, there's some issue and the plane has to make an emergency landing in a fictional country he can't identify and where he doesn't speak the language. Eventually he just goes on living and integrates with society. Does that ring any bells? It was on the shorter side, definitely big-L Literature. I'm almost positive it's not originally an English-language book.

I want to read that, but I have no idea what it is.

Maybe try searching through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_countries, like ctrl/cmd-f for "novel" (42 hits), etc

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Skrill.exe posted:

Sure sounds like a Saramago theme though I don't know if it's actually one of his works.

E: or Murakami

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

whoever wrote it definitely read saramago and borges

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Sadly it wasn't listed on that wiki page (I don't believe the country was ever named) and I'm sure it's not Murakami or Saramago. Really been vexing me.

Found it: Metropole by Ferenc Karinthy

Skrill.exe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 2, 2021

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

I wrote this up for the white whale thread, so I thought I'd cross post here.
The book that I'm looking for is one I read in the late 90s/early 00s, also a collection of scary short stories. I remember it looking kind of cheap - the cover was a brightly-colored illustration, not the kind I see on most of the ones I'm looking at that are dark and gothic. I don't think it had any notable names attached (i.e. Bruce Coville). I think it had 7-10 stories in it. The ones I remember are:

- The scariest one, that kept me up that night. Two siblings buy some kind of silly-putty type stuff, with a packet of directions. They read the directions backwards for some reason, and the goo expands to fill up their whole house. I remember the ending was their parents coming home from a date night and the main character tries to warn them, but can't (maybe the goo has turned out the lights?)

- A character travels to the Amazon for some reason (her older brother is maybe involved?). She falls into a river with piranha, and thinks she'll be okay because they only attack when they smell blood. Then the ending is her remembering a tiny cut she got earlier that day.

- A third story I barely remember, something about a summer camp where one camper has to do something (cross a long bridge? climb up a hill?). The gist of the story was that the counselors are essentially sacrificing a camper for some reason, and the main character realizes this and then gets got by whatever they're sacrificing her to. I feel like this bridge or hill or whatever might be what's on the cover.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Numbuh 212 posted:

- The scariest one, that kept me up that night. Two siblings buy some kind of silly-putty type stuff, with a packet of directions. They read the directions backwards for some reason, and the goo expands to fill up their whole house. I remember the ending was their parents coming home from a date night and the main character tries to warn them, but can't (maybe the goo has turned out the lights?)

this sounds familiar and i’m p sure i lost sleep over it too

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Numbuh 212 posted:

I wrote this up for the white whale thread, so I thought I'd cross post here.
The book that I'm looking for is one I read in the late 90s/early 00s, also a collection of scary short stories. I remember it looking kind of cheap - the cover was a brightly-colored illustration, not the kind I see on most of the ones I'm looking at that are dark and gothic. I don't think it had any notable names attached (i.e. Bruce Coville). I think it had 7-10 stories in it. The ones I remember are:

- A character travels to the Amazon for some reason (her older brother is maybe involved?). She falls into a river with piranha, and thinks she'll be okay because they only attack when they smell blood. Then the ending is her remembering a tiny cut she got earlier that day.

- A third story I barely remember, something about a summer camp where one camper has to do something (cross a long bridge? climb up a hill?). The gist of the story was that the counselors are essentially sacrificing a camper for some reason, and the main character realizes this and then gets got by whatever they're sacrificing her to. I feel like this bridge or hill or whatever might be what's on the cover.

Man, I don't think it's the same book I'm remembering, but I remember those stories too.

I'm trying without success to find yet another of those children's short horror story collections that I remember from the mid-90s. The two stories I remember are:

1) A girl and her cousins get stranded on a spooky island that turns out to be full of water dwelling zombies. She escapes, her cousins don't, but the story ends with her zombified cousins dragging her into the water. I'm pretty sure "It's a nice night for a swim" is the last line in the story, and I think I remember it being the first story in the book. e: I think her name was Amanda or maybe Alisha?

2) A boy that I'm 98% sure was named Robbie who has a scar on his chest goes to live with his uncle and cousin, they're really weird, it turns out the cousin is a robot and--surprise!--it ends with Robbie discovering that the scar is an access panel and he is also a robot.

There was also a story I'm 90% sure was in the same book about a couple kids buying a video game that turns out to be a portal to hell and so forth, but that's such a cliche it was probably in every 90s collection of horror stories.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Man, I don't think it's the same book I'm remembering, but I remember those stories too.

I'm trying without success to find yet another of those children's short horror story collections that I remember from the mid-90s. The two stories I remember are:

1) A girl and her cousins get stranded on a spooky island that turns out to be full of water dwelling zombies. She escapes, her cousins don't, but the story ends with her zombified cousins dragging her into the water. I'm pretty sure "It's a nice night for a swim" is the last line in the story, and I think I remember it being the first story in the book. e: I think her name was Amanda or maybe Alisha?

2) A boy that I'm 98% sure was named Robbie who has a scar on his chest goes to live with his uncle and cousin, they're really weird, it turns out the cousin is a robot and--surprise!--it ends with Robbie discovering that the scar is an access panel and he is also a robot.

There was also a story I'm 90% sure was in the same book about a couple kids buying a video game that turns out to be a portal to hell and so forth, but that's such a cliche it was probably in every 90s collection of horror stories.

I can't remember the name of it, but #2 I've definitely read! Whoa, blast from the past. One picture in it had the main kid opening a door to see his robot cousin either apart, or working on himself or something.

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017
Some of those sound a bit like David Lubar's Weenies series? The piranha and secret robot ones both feel sort of familiar to me and I've read a lot of those stories.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, it might be Scary Stories for Sleepovers? There were a bunch of them. It's gotta be in there. I had a few, and I'm sure that the robot story is in there. Might be in "More..." because I remember that skeleton face on the cover.

Edit: I think it's "What's the Matter with Marvin?"

And reading through the titles, I'm pretty sure that "The Lesson" ended with the main character literally being eaten by whatever the monster of the story was.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 5, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
drat, you got it in one. So much memories :allears: Thanks my man!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

drat, you got it in one. So much memories :allears: Thanks my man!

Thank YOU for posting about it. This is just as much of a find for me as well. I just didn't remember enough to ask about it :shobon:

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

So, in the early 2000's I read a children's book series (I guess it would be middlegrade or perhaps young adult these days) where each book was a completely different spooky story. From memory, I don't imagine they were too old when I read them, though I might be mistaken.

One of the books was about a kid and his male parental figure in a dystopian regime and at the end they escape through a portal into what turns out to be our New York.

Another had a teenage girl whose friend died by falling through ice while playing hokey. She starts having visions(?) about the event and realizes that a mutual friend let the dead friend die. She uses the visions to alter the past and save her friend, then in the new present the villain's grandmother accidentally runs over the villain and cripples her (it's ironic because in Timeline A the grandmother is too scared to drive, but not in Timeline B).

Sorry if that's all a bit vague but does anyone have any ideas regarding what series I'm talking about?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, it might be Scary Stories for Sleepovers? There were a bunch of them. It's gotta be in there. I had a few, and I'm sure that the robot story is in there. Might be in "More..." because I remember that skeleton face on the cover.

Edit: I think it's "What's the Matter with Marvin?"

And reading through the titles, I'm pretty sure that "The Lesson" ended with the main character literally being eaten by whatever the monster of the story was.

Oh my god, the cover of the book in that link just like blasted me back to 1995. Holy poo poo.

I totally remember that robot one too.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Oh my god, the cover of the book in that link just like blasted me back to 1995. Holy poo poo.

Seriously. "Hmm, did I read these? I read a lot of kid horror, but the titles and plots don't sound familiar -- OH gently caress, THAT ZOMBIE COVER, HOLY HELL"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So how do I go about reading these online? I only really want like 2 stories.

Edit: holy poo poo, openlibrary.org is letting me digitally borrow it! :toot: I'm only doing it for an hour, in case that prevents anyone else from trying that.

Edit: :stare: :aaaaa:

Jesus christ, this loving uncle creates sentient life and then just fucks with it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 7, 2021

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So how do I go about reading these online? I only really want like 2 stories.

Edit: holy poo poo, openlibrary.org is letting me digitally borrow it! :toot: I'm only doing it for an hour, in case that prevents anyone else from trying that.

Edit: :stare: :aaaaa:

Jesus christ, this loving uncle creates sentient life and then just fucks with it.

I remember picture too. This is blowing my mind.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Update on the "boy turns into a petrol pump" saga. Truths have been revealed! Posters in this very thread are implicated as CIA psyop agents spreading disinformation about a book that never existed! :tinfoil:

http://www.thecourieronline.co.uk/petrol-stein-or-the-modern-polybius-the-strange-world-of-internet-book-searching

quote:

On a SomethingAwful page entitled 'The identify that story/book thread', user Dell_Zincht posted a similar request on 31 May 2020. On 31 July 2020, an r/whatsthatbook user (who has since deleted their account, but based on this post in r/Teachers may be u/Paint_Her), made yet another post looking for the book, with a similar description. More users claimed to have read it but didn't remember much. Someone even claimed to have seen a film trailer with a similar plot and a famous actor.
On 9 January 2021, SomethingAwful user Sobatchja Morda posted a similar request as part of a larger post asking about multiple books. This entry added detail and descriptions that weren't included in other requests, to the point that it almost sounds like a different story. They also claimed the book was Dutch or Flemish, while previous posters believed it was Swedish, English or Australian.
Looking through the posts, something doesn't add up. The vague descriptions, repeated verbiage and the fact that nobody remembers key details (title, author) are reminiscent of many fake Internet stories. Polybius, an experimental arcade game supposedly created by the CIA, comes to mind. Accounts were nebulous: geometric design, strange gameplay, strange impact on players and 'men in dark suits' inspecting the machines. According to a 2017 Polybius documentary, the story is untraceable past a magazine story on the 'rumor' in the late 90's or early 00's.

All the posts on the book were made within a four-year span, so it wouldn't be unfeasible for one or two people to make posts about it on different websites. Someone could also have read a joke post and made an earnest post on another site searching for the same thing. But why? Many fake Internet stories are based on a simple misunderstanding, stereotypes of other cultures or some sort of cautionary tale. This book description is simply bizarre, random and morbid. If it's imaginary, the backstory may be even more interesting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wizzardstaff posted:

Update on the "boy turns into a petrol pump" saga. Truths have been revealed! Posters in this very thread are implicated as CIA psyop agents spreading disinformation about a book that never existed! :tinfoil:

http://www.thecourieronline.co.uk/petrol-stein-or-the-modern-polybius-the-strange-world-of-internet-book-searching

We've still got it! :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I appreciate the fact that Whang (who I only heard of because of this very thread and whose content I've now since seen completely) respects and appreciates SA. :unsmith:

He should really cover this story.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
While drunk, I suddenly had a flashback to a book that I remembered reading in elementary school probably around 3rd grade, which would be circa 2005 for me (I really hope this doesn't make anybody feel too old in this thread :( but that's also about the same age a friend introduced me to Something Awful). Basically all I remember about it is that it was targeted to my age group, relatively contemporary, and had a plot strikingly similar to Sword Art Online where it involved going into a VR world where if you died, you died IRL. Possibly, it involved a high fantasy theme (I was really into swords and other medieval stuff because of Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda) and may have been published by Scholastic, because I remember a lot of my elementary school library's books being published by them (or maybe I just remember all the books I got in their book fairs :v:). It could have also been connected to a larger but otherwise unrelated between the titles series like Goosebumps, except I'm close to 99.9% sure it wasn't Goosebumps. Otherwise, I don't remember much else except really liking the concept to the point where in the 4th grade I accidentally rented it again because I'd forgotten I'd read it the previous year until I'd read the first few chapters once more.

demostars fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 11, 2021

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

demostars posted:

While drunk, I suddenly had a flashback to a book that I remembered reading in elementary school probably around 3rd grade, which would be circa 2005 for me (I really hope this doesn't make anybody feel too old in this thread :( but that's also about the same age a friend introduced me to Something Awful). Basically all I remember about it is that it was targeted to my age group, relatively contemporary, and had a plot strikingly similar to Sword Art Online where it involved going into a VR world where if you died, you died IRL. Possibly, it involved a high fantasy theme (I was really into swords and other medieval stuff because of Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda) and may have been published by Scholastic, because I remember a lot of my elementary school library's books being published by them (or maybe I just remember all the books I got in their book fairs :v:). It could have also been connected to a larger but otherwise unrelated between the titles series like Goosebumps, except I'm close to 99.9% sure it wasn't Goosebumps. Otherwise, I don't remember much else except really liking the concept to the point where in the 4th grade I accidentally rented it again because I'd forgotten I'd read it the previous year until I'd read the first few chapters once more.

Complete stab in the dark, but maybe Epic by Conor Kostick?

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

wheatpuppy posted:

Complete stab in the dark, but maybe Epic by Conor Kostick?

Hmm, checked out the Wiki page and read the plot synopsis and this doesn't look like it's it :( I'm hungover now and still vague on details but I'm positive that if it was the AMAB protagonist choosing a female avatar would have definitely jogged my memory for uhh, reasons. The book also seems like it would have been a little long for my age; I'm pretty sure the books I was reading then were barely pushing 150 pages, let alone 300. Thanks for the stab, though, cause this looks like a book I would have read maybe closer to 6th or 7th grade.

E: A book called User Unfriendly by Vivian Vande Velde sounds pretty close to what I remember about the plot and series structure (it had sequels that were loosely connected), but was published in 1990 and is 400 pages long. Granted, again, could be wrong about the book being a recent publish and that I just thought it was because the subject matter seemed contemporary to young me, but 400 pages seems like an even bigger ask for my attention span. Someone let me know if Scholastic ripped it off I guess!

E2: Ok, an Amazon review mentioned that their copy was only 244 pages so maybe the 400 thing is just because a newer edition has larger print? That moves it from "probably not it" to "better find it at a library and read it to make sure it isn't" territory.

demostars fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

demostars posted:

reading in elementary school probably around 3rd grade, which would be circa 2005 for me

what in the gently caress